DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Internet sleuths awaken 61-year-old Christmas mystery

Audrey Stanton
Register-Herald Reporter

The Sodder children were excited on Christmas Eve 1945. After all, their 17-year-old sister, Marian, had just given them new toys from her dime-store job.

Three of her sisters, Martha Lee, 12, Jennie, 8, and Betty, 6, and two of their brothers, Maurice, 14, and Louis, 10, didn’t want to go to bed. They begged their mother, Jeannie, to let them stay up a little longer and play with their new toys. It was already 10 p.m.

Their mother told them they could, but she reminded Louis and Maurice to feed the cows and close the chicken coop before they settled in for the night.

<snip>

For decades, the mystery lived on throughout the region, fueled by the large billboard fence the Sodders placed near Ansted. It offered $10,000 for information leading to the five children. The weathered sign has since been torn down, but the mystery did not die with it.

The popularity of the Internet has led a number of sleuths to try their hands at finding out what became of the Sodder children.

“My personal interest stems from seeing the Sodder billboard as a child. An image was etched in my mind that to this day remains with me, and just as strong, the desire to know what really happened to this family,” said Nancy Rust, a retired law enforcement officer who resides in Greenbrier County and participates in an Internet forum on the topic. “I believe the main thing that draws people to this particular case is the pure mystery of it, and also as with me, many saw the billboard and it just stayed with them.”

Rust is a member of Wewsleuths.com, where forums allow many hobbyist detectives to post their theories on a variety of unsolved events. Their theories on the Sodder case range from a fire caused by an angry World War II veteran seeking revenge on an Italian to the possibility that some of the children started the fire and fled. Some theorize about a vengeful kidnapping followed by a community-wide cover-up, not unheard of in the days of coal wars.

But none of them knows what happened to the children.

Neither does Sylvia (Sodder) Paxton, 64, who resides in St. Albans.

“We are touched deeply to know that people still care about the fate of our family after so many years,” she said. “Our parents hoped that some day their efforts would bring a resolution, even if it came after their lifetimes.”

Her daughter, Jennie Henthorn of Saint Albans, the granddaughter of Jeannie and George Sodder, still has hope answers can be found. She has also posted on websleuths.com.

“It was always a part of my life growing up,” she said. “It wasn’t until much later that I realized it was something more of a regional mystery and not just a family thing.”

Henthorn said the revival of the mystery among Internet sleuths has meant a great deal to her mother.

“She promised my grandparents she wouldn’t let the story die, that she would do everything she could,” Henthorn said.

Still, despite the sleuths’ collective resources, the family has seen no fruits from their efforts.

“It honestly is just a mystery still, for everyone,” Henthorn said. “Just to have some resolution for my mom would be a good thing.”

Rust, for one, has hope that could happen.

“Myself and fellow armchair sleuths have more than hope, we have determination and strong belief that if we continue to push on, and continue to get people ... getting this story back in the spotlight we will find the answers that the family has searched for 61 years to find,” she said.

— E-mail:

bnaudrey@register-herald.com

For more information on the Sodder children mystery, read “West Virginia Unsolved Murders,” a book by George and Melody Bragg.

http://www.register-herald.com/local/local_story_358182913.html

Thank you Audrey and Merry Christmas to all.

It is good to know that there are those who strive to solve the Sodder children mystery. I've been keeping up with this and have read all posts I can find on it. Sure was a lot to read for my first days as a member here on WS.

May this one day be solved.

Getting ready to read the article in the Beckley newspaper.

I know there's a link to it above, but I get this paper everyday and if anyone wants a hard copy, pm me your name and mailing address (and be patient) and I'll send you a copy. I know I want it for my file.

Merry Christmas, fellow sleuthers!!!

Great Job Shadow! Keep it up! The more the story gets out there the more likely someone is to come forward with new info!!!!

The article is a great overview of this case, excellent work!

Woot!

clap.gif

Great job Audrey on the story. I hope that the article will generate some new information. I had to go out and buy a hard copy of the Register-Herald also LisainWv. I just really wanted to see this story on paper and to keep a copy.

Welcome to Websleuth's and to the Sodder children thread LionRun. I know that it is a lot of information to obsorb all at once, don't hesitate to ask if you have a question.

Before Christmas, Mom asked several times whether there was something we could post on the Sodder website or on this forum to express our gratitude and to regenerate interest. We kept coming up blank. We have a few other pictures, but none of shy Betty, and a few news articles from the past, but none with different information.

Thanks to Shadow205, Mom received her Christmas wish, not once but twice. It also reminded us that a little effort and creativity can put a fresh spin on the same facts. And that's what each of you do on this forum every time you access it, whether you post or not. We appreciate your efforts very much. Shadow205 and Audrey Stanton, a special thanks to both of you.

I think it is wonderful that so much attention has been brought to the Sodder mystery since this thread started. It seems that someone who has come across this board would recognize or think they recognized one or all of the Sodder children or the 1968 picture. Hopefully, one day some one will come forward with the facts about this case. Someone out there knows....maybe many.
The 1968 photo may not have originated from the place in Kentucky that it was sent from. By the back of the photo, it seems it was sent to someone who later forwarded it to Mrs. Sodder. Perhaps it was a joke, perhaps it was real.....perhaps the person in the picture did not know that it was sent to Mrs. Sodder (if it were not Louis) and is innocent of any wrong doing. I would still like to see the Sodder children age-progressed to their 20's or 30's and then progressed to their age today.

I truly would like to see this mystery solved. If they died in the fire, I wish someone would find more evidence. If they are alive, I wish somehow someone who was involved or knew what happened would come forward.
I can't help but think these children were taken to Italy. Did any find a copy of the Look magazine with the little girl who looked so much like Betty?

On the first thread, there was a post by a user named bowlerbabe67 (total posts - 1) and text that said this:

I have lived in West Virginia all my life first in the Oak Hill area and for the last 4 years in Fayetteville area (Gatewood Road) I've grew up surronded by this story all my life my grandfather who used to be a mine foreman at several different mines knew of the story quite well,we would go on drives and everytime we passed that sign he would always tell us that there was much more than ever would come out about that night.He would not talk about what he knew but I could always tell he knew more than he was willing to talk about.I took care of him until he passed away and in his last days he did talk some .I do believe the children were never killed in that fire .The things that he told me makes me believe other things.I think that a memorial for the missing should be built to show the people that had their dirty hands in the cover up (even if they are dead I'm sure there are living members of there families who know the truth) that people have not forgotten and never will!May God bless each and every one and may there come a time when this will be solved!

Has anyone tried to contact this individual further to find out any information she may have had? There was the one post and that was it. Sounds like she knows something and possibly people or decendents of people who know what happened to the Sodder children.

pedinurse said:
On the first thread, there was a post by a user named bowlerbabe67 (total posts - 1) and text that said this:

I have lived in West Virginia all my life first in the Oak Hill area and for the last 4 years in Fayetteville area (Gatewood Road) I've grew up surronded by this story all my life my grandfather who used to be a mine foreman at several different mines knew of the story quite well,we would go on drives and everytime we passed that sign he would always tell us that there was much more than ever would come out about that night.He would not talk about what he knew but I could always tell he knew more than he was willing to talk about.I took care of him until he passed away and in his last days he did talk some .I do believe the children were never killed in that fire .The things that he told me makes me believe other things.I think that a memorial for the missing should be built to show the people that had their dirty hands in the cover up (even if they are dead I'm sure there are living members of there families who know the truth) that people have not forgotten and never will!May God bless each and every one and may there come a time when this will be solved!

Has anyone tried to contact this individual further to find out any information she may have had? There was the one post and that was it. Sounds like she knows something and possibly people or decendents of people who know what happened to the Sodder children.
WOW...shadow?? I came into this case more recently, Shadow brought it to my attention...it would be AWESOME if she could interview this guy. Let's email this poster! I am messaging Shadow now,LOL.

I have given this whole story much thought. I have a few questions that I am wondering about. I know the Sodder's did not rebuild their house because it burned to the ground. Where did the Sodder's live after the fire? How far from the original house? If the children grew up and came back to where their house used to be would they have been able to find somebody that knew them or where the rest of their family actually was? Was Mr Sodder able to stay in business after the fire? Did any one ever say if his trucks were intentionally kept from running the night of the fire? I think the Private Investigators they hired were just taking their money. I have found a lot of people. I think this can be solved. I think a big help was the Doe Network This story needs exposure so more people see it.

Teresa, I'm about 99% sure they did rebuild on the property, but not exactly where the other house burnt. We're talking about a matter of difference in feet or a few yards, as I recall.

the house remained in family until the mid to late 80's or so. Jenny (the mother) lived there until just a few years before her death. I've read all these dates a few times, but don't remember them without going back and re-reading.

The Sodders did keep their turcking business and, in fact, a Sodder Trucking still exists today. Maybe family or something that's still on the books for legal reasons?

I've never heard any news of the trucks being kept from starting that night, but I think the point to the story is that no one ever checked out anything for the family. The kids died in the fire, according to the authorities, and that was the end of it.

One thought i have always had about the trucks not starting, I can remember our vehicles not starting in cold weather back in the late 70's and early 80's. It wasn't until fuel injection came along in the mid 80's that vehicles would easily start in cold weather. it was reported to have been very cold and windy that night.....if there was something mechanically wrong with the trucks (if someone disabled them in some way), it would have easily been found later.

Unfortunately, I don't think it's a matter of "finding" people, I live 20 minutes away and know where plenty of people are that were around when it happened (in fact, my BF's mother was working at her first job and living in Fayetteville when the fire happened). However, finding someone who actually knows something other than the rumors that were circulated is a different story.

I think most people believed one of the following stories:

* the kids burnt in the fire and the family could not accept that.
* the family sent the kids back to Italy for some purpose (that was a common story back then) and many believed it had something to do with an insurance scam
* the italians were strange and who knows what happened. PLEASE DON'T ANYONE TAKE OFFENSE TO THIS ONE. This area is still back woods when it comes to mixing with other cultures.

I get the feeling from talking with people who were around at the time, this was not a big story back then. I think many people thought the sodders were crazy or just unaccepting of the death of their children and this was their way of dealing with it. I don't think they were crazy at all, but it was easy to cover up the real story back then.

They did try to move the trucks that night but were unable to because they wouldn't start. It is possible that it was too cold for the trucks to start however I have also had cars that were not fuel injected for years and they started in below zero weather in Nebraska. The ladder they had outside the house was also moved another indication that this whole thing was a set up. I have never heard of the Italians being strange people back then. The Mafia was noted for not getting along with the coal miners. I know people that had to get away from the mines years ago because of them. Mr Sodder may have not paid his protective dues. I know this is not just a matter of finding people I was only stating that because I think this can be solved. I am also sure this was a big story back then whether the children were burned up in the fire or kidnapped 5 kids dead or missing is a big story It would be now if it happened today. I can understand some people believing the Sodder's just couldn't accept their childrens death in the fire because they wouldn't have known that it takes a much hotter fire than that to cremate bones. I have no doubt that the authorities didn't get involved because they were afraid to.

I think the following are key elements in finding out what happened to the Sodder children:

*A dig be made of the area the house stood to prove there is no evidence the children burned in the fire. This has been done before, but I think it is a significant element in getting more people interested in the fact that the children did not persh in the fire. After that, if nothing is found some TV programs should be requested to run this story.

Once the dig is done the following should take place if nothing is found:

*Effects should be made to find how exactly who the person was in the 1967 photo sent to Mrs. Sodder. It should be posted somewhere that a lot of people would view. Somewhere, there is a picture of this man in an old yearbook, etc.

*The Look magazine should be located and a picture of the little girl viewed by websleuths to see what their thoughts are on this case. Note: I have tried to find the Magazine but so far have been unsuccessful.

*Effects should be made if there is a possibly this was Betty to find out exactly who this child was. Is Walt Whitman school still there with the address the same?

*More pictures of the family should be posted. I personally would like to compare some of the family pictures with the 1967 picture.

*Sightings of the children were seen near Charleston, WV and Florida when Mrs. Sodders brother (?) lived. Did they stay there a while and move on when the trail got hot? Possibly they stayed some where in Florida.
With the Shawn Hornbeck case we know one or more of the children may have grown up in Charleston.

I could never understood why the children never came home. With events that have emerged during the last few years, the most recent, the Hornbeck case, I have more of an understanding of why (sometimes) people never come home.

Does anyone else have any suggestions on what to do to solve this case:

Originally Posted by JBandy
I am very good friends with the current owners. I have spoken with them and they have granted me permission to excavate the land where the house sat and I am currently working on a grant to fund this dig. If anyone has grant experience...I would love the help.

Has anyone heard the status of the grant for the dig at the site?

I drove by the house not so long ago (within the last couple of months) and there appeared to be no digging going on. Not that something like this could transpire that quickly, but...?

I have e-mailed someone who has both issues of Look for sale. I asked him if either of these issues contain the picture of the little girl Mr Sodder saw. I will let you all know what I find out :)

Teresa Larson said:
I have e-mailed someone who has both issues of Look for sale. I asked him if either of these issues contain the picture of the little girl Mr Sodder saw. I will let you all know what I find out :)
Great! I found someone also who had a copy of the May 14, 1946 Look Magazine. They are going to send it to me. Keep your fingers crossed that the picture is in the magazine. Should have it in a week or so.

Gina_M said:
I found a site that lists old issues of Look Magazine and describes some of the topics featured in them:

http://www.pastpaper.com/List-Look40s.htm

The February 5, 1946 issue lists "Ballet Fashion Show". Not sure if that is what we are looking for. I find it hard to believe that Mr. Sodder would get the date of the magazine wrong. Perhaps the magazine has pages missing from it?
The May 14, 1946 Look Magazine does not have a picture of a ballet class from Walt Whitman School. Either Mr. Sodder had the date wrong or the name of the magazine wrong. It does have an article "Children Paint It Their Own Way"-with children's pictures at New York's Museum of Find Art. The picture does have a couple of dark haired girls in it-One girl pictured alone does resemble sightly Betty-(haven't seen but one picture of Betty). The children's ages range from 4-8 and the article does not say what school or who the children are.

OK guys, am I loosing it or what??? Yesterday morning I replied to a question in this thread about some bones that were supposedly found after the fire. The poster, which I can't remember who it was but not a regular was asking about some small bones possibly from a childs hand thaat they had never seen mentioned before. I replied, now the original post and my reply is gone. WTH???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atriumproperties