WY WY - Austin King, 22, Yellowstone National Park, Eagle Peak, 17 Sept 2024

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Found this website of some of the registered summits of Eagle Peak Wyoming. Probably not all, just what is reported to this website.

It says there was a hiker, Peter Gram, would summitted Eagle Peak on the day that SAR efforts began on September 21st. Is that possible?

I guess they are checking and contacting everyone had a back country permit and was in the area in the week that Austin went missing?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20241004_075150_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20241004_075150_Chrome.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 5
Found this website of some of the registered summits of Eagle Peak Wyoming. Probably not all, just what is reported to this website.

It says there was a hiker, Peter Gram, would summitted Eagle Peak on the day that SAR efforts began on September 21st. Is that possible?

I guess they are checking and contacting everyone had a back country permit and was in the area in the week that Austin went missing?
That's a different mountain. There are two different ones in Wyoming with the same name. The one you linked to is in the SE part of the state and is 9172 feet high. (There's even a third, called Lost Eagle Peak.)

The one in Yellowstone is 11,364 feet high. Peakbaggers doesn't show any 2024 ascents for it: Ascents of Eagle Peak - Peakbagger.com

Edited to add:
Here's an excerpt from a 2013 trip report for the Yellowstone mountain from the Peakbaggers site.
We spent a short while on the cold, windy summit and then began our descent. It should be noted that it is impossible to see the exit point from the lava tube until you are virtually standing next to the hole. Some temporary flagging might be a good idea as you leave the lava tube on your way up to the summit. Not finding the lava tube on your descent would be problematical to say the least.

I've seen several different reports that note how tricky it is coming back down from the peak (all from experienced climbers), and it would be doubly so at dusk.

Last edited:
I was curious what this ‘keyhole’ or ‘lava tube’ in the route looks like. I hope it’s okay to post these photos from the attached blog and description of the route. Certainly gives me the willies just looking at it.

Attachments

• IMG_8520.jpeg
    IMG_8520.jpeg
    285.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_8521.jpeg
    IMG_8521.jpeg
    220.5 KB · Views: 6
That's a different mountain. There are two different ones in Wyoming with the same name. The one you linked to is in the SE part of the state and is 9172 feet high. (There's even a third, called Lost Eagle Peak.)

The one in Yellowstone is 11,364 feet high. Peakbaggers doesn't show any 2024 ascents for it: Ascents of Eagle Peak - Peakbagger.com

Edited to add:
Here's an excerpt from a 2013 trip report for the Yellowstone mountain from the Peakbaggers site.
We spent a short while on the cold, windy summit and then began our descent. It should be noted that it is impossible to see the exit point from the lava tube until you are virtually standing next to the hole. Some temporary flagging might be a good idea as you leave the lava tube on your way up to the summit. Not finding the lava tube on your descent would be problematical to say the least.

I've seen several different reports that note how tricky it is coming back down from the peak (all from experienced climbers), and it would be doubly so at dusk.
My husband is obsessed with Peakbaggers, it’s a great resource for people who like to summit mountains. I was shocked when he told me last week there are only 8 trip reports of Eagle Peak.

Eagle Peak has 23 people ever summiting on that website. Certainly everyone does not log their summits on that site, but many who would be drawn to a technical, obscure mountain would also log their summit.

As a comparison, there would be more than 23 per hour at busy times on Mt. Whitney.

There are many sad aspects to Austin’s situation, but I am very afraid if they could not find him during this search & rescue, it could be hard to find him at any time.

Geraldine Largay’s disappearance on the Appalachian Trail was brought up earlier on this thread. She was found years later, yet there are 3 million visitors to the AT every year, so other hikers or hunters were nearby to find her. There are few people out there to find Austin.

I hope Austin is found today. I will always be waiting for his return and I feel deeply for his family.

My opinion/my experience

I was curious what this ‘keyhole’ or ‘lava tube’ in the route looks like. I hope it’s okay to post these photos from the attached blog and description of the route. Certainly gives me the willies just looking at it.

Pictures were great, and your writing was even better. Thank you.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dinny
Back