WY WY - Breanna Mitchell, 28, barefoot, got stuck near Nowater Trail, SAR located vehicle, Worland, 22 Jul 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

imstilla.grandma

Believer of Miracles
Reaction score
Breanna Mitchell was last contacted Saturday after her vehicle got stuck along rugged terrain near Nowater Trail close by the Worland Airport, the Washakie County Sheriff's Office and Worland Police Department said in joint statements on Facebook.

"We are treating this as more than just a missing person," Washakie County Sheriff Austin T. Brookwell said in a statement. "Just because we do not know exactly what happened yet."

On Wednesday morning, a bloodhound crew was sent out to search an area where a boot and a shirt were located, the statement said. Mitchell is also believed to be barefoot.

A search and rescue started shortly after Mitchell was last contacted Saturday, the statement said. After "some time of looking," authorities located her vehicle on a two-track dirt road two-miles off the trail.

"However, she was not at the vehicle," the statement said. "...The vehicle is not out there, as we have towed it to search for possible clues of her disappearance..."

Her family has not been able to contact her either, the statement said. Officials have pinged her phone, but according to Verizon, it was shut off.

There is also no known last direction of travel, the statement said. Officials located footprints that led about 1,000 yards short of Nowater Road, "but then we couldn't see any more."
breannataylorupdate.png

CASPER, Wyo. — The search continues Wednesday in badland terrain south of Worland for a town resident who went missing over the weekend.

Breanna Mitchell was last seen July 22 after her vehicle was reported stuck on Nowater Trail. The vehicle was later found abandoned over five miles down the rugged two-track road that winds through the badlands.

“The bloodhound crew will be going back out [Wednesday] morning to search an area where a boot and a shirt were located,” according to agency updates on social media by Washakie County Sheriff Austin T. Brookwell

Update from Sheriff's office today:

Washakie County Sheriff's Office and Worland Police Department

osrnSdpeto7mf3g6ita6667l01a65f8090cfllu35i4581f05tlum2i210m6 ·

***Breanna Mitchell Case Update***
She has still not been located.
Yesterday the bloodhound and the handler were unable to locate her. The bloodhound was able to detect a few areas she may have been around but those didn't last long. Friday we are bringing in a dog with a different skill to maybe find her. So I am asking everyone who is assisting in the search please not be in the area as this dog will be working which will be Friday night and early Saturday morning.
I have reached out to the Wyoming branch of the Federal Bureau of Investigation. They have agreed to assist The Washakie County Sheriff's Office in this case. They have better technology to assist with managing data and better training when it comes to missing individuals. I am exploring all options we have to find Breanna.
We have been granted search warrants for all of Brianna's cellular phone data, social media data, and email data. Which will hopefully give us a much better look into anyone she had contact with the day she went missing. A more accurate location of where her phone was also that night. We should be receiving this data soon from the many different sources.
Mr. Romo has been cooperative with Law Enforcement and has been interviewed. He has also informed us that he will come in and talk to us if we have any other questions that come up. Numerous other individuals have been interviewed as well. I will not go into details of these interviews as this is still an active law enforcement investigation.
There are many rumors being spread and it is difficult to combat those as many know. I give updates when I have new information. If you do not see a post from me on here then I do not have updates. I cannot respond to every single comment or message that is being sent on Facebook because we are busy doing other things.
The Washakie County Sheriff's Office is using all the resources we have access to. Deputies have been coming in on their days off and have been staying late to work on this case.
Thank you to everyone who is trying to help I greatly appreciate it!
-Sheriff Brookwell

Here is a previous update (from a day ago) by the Sheriff. It includes the specific location where her vehicle was ultimately found. If I understand the reports correctly, her vehicle was stuck somewhere along Nowater Rd (was someone with her? did someone spot her as she struggled to get her vehicle out?) and then was ultimately found a few miles away futher south on Nowater Road, provided by the Sheriff below. The footprints were found well away from Nowater Road. Were they bare footprints? Is that how they knew she was barefoot when she went missing? Or was she seen barefoot when her vehicle was stuck? And they found her boot and shirt! This definitely doesn't sound like a simple case of Breanna going for a hike and getting lost. JMO.

·

***Search for Breanna Mitchell***
I have no new updates to give. We still have not located her. I have SAR personnel out this morning on horseback and in side by sides looking.
At 5 p.m. tonight, I will be paging out Search and Rescue to search where Breanna Mitchell's Vehicle was located and the surrounding areas. I will also be asking for the assistance of Guardian with one of their helicopter crews to search this area as well. SAR Crews may not get out to the area till around 5:45 p.m. or 6 p.m.
I welcome any volunteers who would like to go out there at this time as well to help search. If you are going to come out to help, do not bring any drones, as the helicopter crew can not fly the area if there are drones in the area. Please bring lots of water, food, and any other supplies you may need. Mostly I ask volunteers to be safe and not get lost while searching.
We have no known last direction of travel. We had located footprints that led about 1000 yards short of the Nowater Road, but then we couldn't see any more.
GPS Coordinates of where her vehicle was:
N43.88408 W107.84982
https://www.google.com/.../data=!3m1!1e3!4m4!3m3!8m2!3d43...
-Sheriff Brookwell

Here is a previous update (from a day ago) by the Sheriff. It includes the specific location where her vehicle was ultimately found. If I understand the reports correctly, her vehicle was stuck somewhere along Nowater Rd (was someone with her? did someone spot her as she struggled to get her vehicle out?) and then was ultimately found a few miles away futher south on Nowater Road, provided by the Sheriff below. The footprints were found well away from Nowater Road. Were they bare footprints? Is that how they knew she was barefoot when she went missing? Or was she seen barefoot when her vehicle was stuck? And they found her boot and shirt! This definitely doesn't sound like a simple case of Breanna going for a hike and getting lost. JMO.

·

***Search for Breanna Mitchell***
I have no new updates to give. We still have not located her. I have SAR personnel out this morning on horseback and in side by sides looking.
At 5 p.m. tonight, I will be paging out Search and Rescue to search where Breanna Mitchell's Vehicle was located and the surrounding areas. I will also be asking for the assistance of Guardian with one of their helicopter crews to search this area as well. SAR Crews may not get out to the area till around 5:45 p.m. or 6 p.m.
I welcome any volunteers who would like to go out there at this time as well to help search. If you are going to come out to help, do not bring any drones, as the helicopter crew can not fly the area if there are drones in the area. Please bring lots of water, food, and any other supplies you may need. Mostly I ask volunteers to be safe and not get lost while searching.
We have no known last direction of travel. We had located footprints that led about 1000 yards short of the Nowater Road, but then we couldn't see any more.
GPS Coordinates of where her vehicle was:
N43.88408 W107.84982
https://www.google.com/.../data=!3m1!1e3!4m4!3m3!8m2!3d43...
-Sheriff Brookwell
OMG, that is one scary looking map! Is there any water out there at all? I cannot imagine being barefoot in that kind of terrain. I pray she is located quickly. MOO

I hate to be negative, but if she’s out there somewhere in that terrain, no water, shelter, shoes…she wouldn’t last long, not days that’s for sure. The lack of water is the biggest issue. I know that people in hypothermic states will feel hot and undress, but this is the opposite sort of issue and I can’t figure out why or how she would somehow lose a boot and a shirt…heat exhaustion issues even with water can set in so fast. If she’s out there, I just can’t believe she is alive, sadly. Ugh what an awful case. I feel terrible for her, the community.

Now, if there’s something more going on, then that changes things.

All my opinion only, I am originally from this area and I am glad they have called the FBI. I can’t remember ever having any serious crime in the area so the help is great. I have been following this on social media since the beginning and have been suspicious about a female going out in that area in the middle of the night to drive around by herself. I know people that take their cars out and drive off road for fun, normally it’s during the day, and normally not alone. This most recent post from the local paper has me more concerned since it’s reporting Breanna’s boyfriend got a call about her being stuck at 2:00am and looked for her all day before reporting her missing at 8:59pm.

All my opinion only, I am originally from this area and I am glad they have called the FBI. I can’t remember ever having any serious crime in the area so the help is great. I have been following this on social media since the beginning and have been suspicious about a female going out in that area in the middle of the night to drive around by herself. I know people that take their cars out and drive off road for fun, normally it’s during the day, and normally not alone. This most recent post from the local paper has me more concerned since it’s reporting Breanna’s boyfriend got a call about her being stuck at 2:00am and looked for her all day before reporting her missing at 8:59pm.

Yep, and statement by LE that they are looking at it as more than a simple missing person case.

JMO

I hope she’s okay if she’s still out there. It broke my heart to see that searchers were leaving phone chargers and water bottles and notes. I agree that this whole situation is suspicious, but of course that’s based on my own experiences and opinions.
Did the bf go out and search for her right after he got the 2 AM text? Maybe part of the reason for the long time gap between the initial text and when he reported her missing was that he was asleep when it was sent and woke up to it.

Maybe part of the reason for the long time gap between the initial text and when he reported her missing was that he was asleep when it was sent and woke up to it.
Perhaps. Speaking for myself, when I get stuck out in the badlands after fooling around driving down rough tracks by myself in the wee hours, I give my boyfriend 8 hours, tops, to come get me. If <modsnip: circumventing profanity filters> hasn't shown up by then, I text one of my friends.

JMO

Last edited by a moderator:
JUL 27, 2023
[...]

... The car, a boot and a shirt were located, but Mitchell was not found.

[...]

A man, who authorities identified as "Mr. Romo," was interviewed in connection with her disappearance and "has been cooperative with law enforcement," Brookwell said Thursday.

"He has also informed us that he will come in and talk to us if we have any other questions that come up," Brookwell said.

[...]

Authorities are bringing in a dog with different skills on Friday "to maybe find her," so members of the public assisting in the search are urged to stay clear of the area that night and early Saturday morning.

[...]

JUL 27, 2023
[...]

We are treating this as more than just a missing person,” Brookwell said, “just because we do not know exactly what happened yet.”

Mitchell’s car was towed from the road to “search for possible clues” into her disappearance, Brookwell said.

The Federal Bureau of Investigation has also agreed to help with Mitchell’s case, Brookwell said.

“They have better technology to assist with managing data and better training when it comes to missing individuals,” Brookwell said.

Brookwell said the sheriff’s office has warrants to search Mitchell’s “cellular phone data, social media data, and email data.”

He said deputies hope this information will help paint a better picture as to whom she was in contact with in the days prior to her disappearance.

[...]

Have to agree... seems strange.

There are numerous rumors being spread about Mitchell’s disappearance, which is difficult to combat the misinformation. The Washakie County Sheriff’s Office would like to encourage the public to not believe everything they hear and to check their Facebook page for accurate information pertaining to Mitchell’s disappearance.

Sheriff Brookwell said, “I cannot respond to every single comment or message that is being sent on Facebook because we are busy doing other things.”

Troubling comments on Sheriff’s FB page. (Scroll to poster SW)
I did not see any comments from initials SW, but others are quite eye opening. *and scary

Last edited:
I did not see any comments from initials SW, but others are quite eye opening.

This may have already been mentioned but noticed FB post announcing the fair was in town from July 10th until 29th. Not to imply all involved pose a risk but traveling operations as that often attract unsavory characters some of who have criminal history. Locally, carnival worker killed a woman and sadly it was over 10 years before she was identified. He was arrested almost immediately but didn’t know the woman’s identity. Her body was placed in a cotton field less than 2 miles from my house, farmer discovered shortly after being left there.

Odd. I wonder if she frequently went hiking alone. That is a pretty desolate area and remote to drive out there. I wonder if the keys were located, or if there was an issue with the car. Doesn't sound like this will end well. I wonder about her last phone call...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rav17en
Back