WY WY - Carlene Brown, 19, Rawlins, 4 July 1974

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Now I get it.

If there's something in particular you'd like me to look at, I'd be glad to do it. I'm wondering whether that third unidentified girl they found might be Carlene.

You mean the Pocatello abductions unidentified girl? I think she was biracial-Carlene was not.

You mean the Pocatello abductions unidentified girl? I think she was biracial-Carlene was not.

Ah, I thought she was with the Lewiston murders.

Do we know for sure Carlene wasn't bi-racial? I thought the most recent information was that she had been adopted as an infant and her biological background was uncertain.

edited to add: I went and reread the article at http://www.kboi2.com/news/local/127339528.html. It says Caucasion or multiracial:

In 1983, another skull was found just a mile from where the two girls' remains were located, he said. Though investigators were able to determined that the skull belonged to a Caucasian or possibly multi-racial female in her late teens or early 20s, they were never able to match an identity to the remains. Semrad said he has a hunch the cases are related, but at this point nothing solid to connect them.

Missing: Montana woman hopes to close one of Rawlins’ darkest cases

[snip]

July Fourth, 1974, was unremarkable in a lot of ways in Rawlins.

The weather was pretty average, historically, at least, with a high of 84.

Independence Day meant the return of fireworks after a several-year absence for Rawlins residents during the annual Renegade Roundup, a Fourth of July celebration.

The one remarkable thing about that day in Rawlins history was the disappearance of two young women.

That was the last time friends and family saw 19-year-olds Carlene Brown and Christi Gross alive.

The two friends attended the Little Britches Rodeo, then a Rawlins fixture.
After that, they disappeared.

Gross’ skeletal remains were found nine years later on Oct. 27, 1983, in a field three miles south of Sinclair. She was killed by two heavy blows to the skull.

Carlene Brown, well, she’s still missing. Her body was never found.

Much more: http://www.rawlinstimes.com/news/article_37a4cd82-fef1-11e1-80de-001a4bcf887a.html

How frustrating it must be to have a possibility, but because the possible victim was adopted, the lack of DNA makes it near impossible to resolve!!! I never even had that scenario cross my mind!!

bumping for charlene. wish someone could locate her birth family

How frustrating it must be to have a possibility, but because the possible victim was adopted, the lack of DNA makes it near impossible to resolve!!! I never even had that scenario cross my mind!!

Yet another argument against closed adoptions.

The area where Christy Gross was located - At that time did they do a larger search in that 3 mile South of Sinclair area for Carlene Brown? Was it like a public area?

Yeah, I'm not a fan of closed adoptions, either. I think they should search the area where Carlene's best friend felt weirded out.

There were a lot of searches both when they disappeared and after Christy's remains were found, but I don't remember exactly where or by whom. I was living in Montana at the time and Christy and Carlene were my age, so it was kind of significant to me and very scary. Rodeo is such a big part of the culture in that region and you think of it as just a big happy family place to be.

I wish there was a better Image of Christy Gross, but thank you verbandie! Ted Bundy was actually In Washington not Colorado when the girls went missing.

I am attempting to investigate a cold case murder/UID from northeast Ohio, 1975. I have spoken with a detective who said the files mention a WY agency contacting them to inquire if this woman was a possible match to the Ohio UID.

I don't know what came of it yet (I'll be receiving the files soon), but thought I'd mention it here as I see she is sadly still missing. It seems there is a good theory of Brown's disappearance, and in addition it's unlikely she fits the time frame of the death in Ohio. I'll post anything I can find about Brown in the UID files.

This is the UID in Ohio.

Carlene and Christy are thought to be victims of Royal Russell Long, who was a carny and truck driver. He generally seems to have not gone far to dispose of his victims, but since many have not been located, it's possible he traveled a considerable distance with her.

If anyone is interested in the report, it contains a lot of Carlene Brown's info that was used in attempting to identify her in Ohio. Her stuff starts at page 67, on post #52 on this thread. The links to the pdf report is located within the text of the post.

And unfortunately it seems she was ruled out at the time via dental records.

I went over Carlene's dental records and attempted to construct a dental chart to compare to any UID dental charts that might be available. Carlene had extensive dental work done. Here's what I came up with:

* Dental: Available
Upper (R to L, 01-16)NFFRFNNNNNNFFFFN
Lower (R to L, 32-17)NFFNNNNNNNNNNFFA
N = Natural Tooth
F = Filling
R = Root Canal
A = Extracted (or lost) Tooth

From what I can gather:
* Her lower right wisdom tooth (#17) was extracted. (I see no indication that any of the other teeth were extracted.)
* She had fillings in 11 of her 32 teeth (#2, #3, #5, #12, #13, #14, #15, #18, #19, #30, and #31).
* It appears she had a root canal on #4.

Bumping for Carlene. It's been over 2 years since anyone posted here.
I checked out her NamUs page and looked at her DNA tab, and it says initial inquiry underway.
I know she was adopted and not having DNA for her was an issue. Has it always been this status, does anyone know? Or is this something new?
https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/14488/1

Bumping for Carlene. It's been over 2 years since anyone posted here.
I checked out her NamUs page and looked at her DNA tab, and it says initial inquiry underway.
I know she was adopted and not having DNA for her was an issue. Has it always been this status, does anyone know? Or is this something new?
https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/14488/1

Pretty sure this is new. The last I heard, they were going through all kinds of paperwork and hassle trying to unseal her records so they could try to locate blood relatives, preferably maternal. Maybe there's progress!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusslikeme
Back