Found Deceased WY - Gabby Petito, Grand Teton National Park #87

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh in my heart many of us knew this imo, what are the next steps? The Petito/Schmidt lawyer is great imo. I was confident he knew, it was specific imo. I don't know the laws about this, can one of our experts assist in easy plain language? I will read back, thanks all. Rest in peace Gabby, shame it has taken this long to get the truth jmo

can Brian's parents sue their former attorney Bertolino? Sorry I am only caught up to Nov 1. And I know posting before catching up is rude, sorry. And what do folks think is possible or probable? Will they sue or walk away?

None.

This is civil, meaning emotional or financial distress, emotional in this case.

Sum total of inflicted emotional distress is this statement the Laundries made through their attorney:

"This is understandably an extremely difficult time for both the Petito family and the Laundrie family. It is our understanding that a search has been organized for Miss Petito in or near Grand Teton National Park in Wyoming. On behalf of the Laundrie family it is our hope that the search for Miss Petito is successful and that Miss Petito is re-united with her family. On the advice of counsel the Laundrie family is remaining in the background at this juncture and will have no further comment."

If the Laundries had remained silent, made no statements, then their lawsuit would have been dismissed on the grounds that they had the constitutional right to remain silent.

Very bad counsel from their attorney who is also being sued for the same reason. Rather than just representing the Laundries, as defense counsel does, he was actually complicit in causing the plaintiffs emotional distress.

Their attorney went into it cack handed from the beginning, yet the Laundrie's continued with his representation of them. Not smart. In hindsight, they would have been better off speaking themselves, but the lure of having an attorney speaking for you, the optics of it and so on , must have been tempting.

God alone knows what is Floridian for the meaning of 'gone'.. odd they never asked Bri what she had 'gone' in , since he had the van, they must have ridiculously thought she trekked out on foot from the high plains, Bri tootling off in Gabby's own van. This was such an awful hateful crime. And not just the murder.

Last edited:
Here's the 20 minute long conversation that Cassie and her husband had with the protestors that were outside her home. You can judge for yourself how honest she's being and what she thinks of the whole situation.

Note that I'm only talking about Cassie when I said that I thought she was being upfront. Her parents, of course, are another matter. I just don't think Cassie's part of whatever scheming that the family was doing.
Thanks for that reminder, they looked so 'off'' way back then, I remember reeling back and being disturbed by their claims... but seeing it again and in the light of all that has been exposed, it merely underlines the wierdness , really.. That the bloke manages to rev up an actual giggle in the middle of it is beyond bizarre, and verging close to grotesque.

I may have mentioned it before, but IMO, this lawsuit is really about clarifying what someone's legal obligation is to disclose information they have about a missing person.

If this case had not become so huge and attracted so much attention, it could have been months or years before Gabby's body was found and the Petitos found out what happened to their daughter, and I think they realize that and want to help make sure that others don't have to go through the same torture of knowing that someone else has information that could help but having no way to get that information. If the Laundries are held legally accountable for withholding the information they have, that will set a legal precedent for other future missing persons cases.

I may have mentioned it before, but IMO, this lawsuit is really about clarifying what someone's legal obligation is to disclose information they have about a missing person.

If this case had not become so huge and attracted so much attention, it could have been months or years before Gabby's body was found and the Petitos found out what happened to their daughter, and I think they realize that and want to help make sure that others don't have to go through the same torture of knowing that someone else has information that could help but having no way to get that information. If the Laundries are held legally accountable for withholding the information they have, that will set a legal precedent for other future missing persons cases.
Interesting thought.

If this is the motivation for this civil lawsuit wouldn't Gabby's family be better off pushing for legislation to achieve this goal?

In my opinion a threat of prison time would work better than a possible monetary judgement that may be impossible to collect if the person is poor.

JMO.

Completely agree. The petito family is doing great work in trying to make sure this doesn’t happen to another family. That’s mainly what this is about IMO. I was shocked to hear that the laundries couldn’t be charged with accessory to murder in Florida.

IMO The Laundies’s should be charged with abuse of a corpse, if legally possible. They knew GP was gone . But did nothing to protect her reminds for weeks it laid exposed to the elements and animals.
Again OMO

Bbm, I sure hope so. Similarly imo, a wise poster here who's name escapes me has also stated their belief with "no body" cases (obv not Gabby as she was finally recovered), for those convicted and in prison, they should never be released, after serviving their sentence, without first revealing the location of the body. I support that completely. For the Laundries and Bertolino I WISH prison time, monetary payment, and accessory to murder charges. And ETA abuse of a corpse, also noted above. Sickening. Just my wishes. And legislative changes. Kudos to Gabby's poor grieving family for everything they are working to do, and to their lawyer. And I also do believe the Laundries (not Cassie) together with Brian planned Brian's exit and suicide. JMO. Has more come out yet about the alleged money transfer to Brian from his parents?

Last edited:
Interesting thought.

If this is the motivation for this civil lawsuit wouldn't Gabby's family be better off pushing for legislation to achieve this goal?

In my opinion a threat of prison time would work better than a possible monetary judgement that may be impossible to collect if the person is poor.

JMO.
It's a starting point to bring accountability. They can still work towards changing Florida law after this.

It's a starting point to bring accountability. They can still work towards changing Florida law after this.
Why wait? They're putting time into "Gabby's Act" legislation.

<modsnip: not victim friendly> JMO.

Last edited by a moderator:

Accurately put and unarguable as a position. ... . It is also my belief that not only was the 'withholding information, crucial to the life and death of Gabby Petito a facet of this suit, but the actual DISinformation, along with the misinformation and withholding of information.

The lawyer, Bertolinno, on the Laundrie's instructions, one must suppose, also sent that outrageous message to Gabby's family....''''Three days after she was reported missing, Bertolino issued a statement on behalf of the Laundries reading: “It is our hope that the search for Miss Petito is successful and that Miss Petito is reunited with her family.”

This is psycopathic levels of disinformation, designed to pervert the course of justice, to interfere with the search for Gabby, to defer and deflect all connections to Brian in her dreadful and lonely death. ... I mean, people... they knew she was dead, the knew where she died, they knew who killed her, they probably knew why he killed her, they knew where she could be found...but in a carefully calculated manner, this message was their idea of communication about a missing daughter.

Held accountable should be the least of it, all things considered.

Communities can't really thrive if this level of 'spanners being jammed in the spokes' of the justice bicycle go on, unremarked and unheralded.

Last edited:

There is no "legal obligation" for Laundrie's parents in Florida to disclose information about a missing person in Wyoming. They weren't present. Their only "information" was hearsay from their son. There is no proof Laundrie's parents knew for certain Gabby was dead or exactly where her body was located.

JMO

There is no "legal obligation" for Laundrie's parents in Florida to disclose information about a missing person in Wyoming. They weren't present. Their only "information" was hearsay from their son. There is no proof Laundrie's parents knew for certain Gabby was dead or exactly where her body was located.

JMO
You're right.

Even the recent news reports that say BL told his parents that Gabby was "gone" is vague and certainly not evidence that shows his parents knew she was dead and where her body was located. JMO.

Why wait? They're putting time into "Gabby's Act" legislation.

<modsnip: not victim friendly> JMO.
Gabby's Act is about better training for law enforcement in understanding domestic violence. Why it needs to be legislated baffles me. It should be already part of LE training becausse answering those calls is also dangerous to LE.

JMO

Last edited by a moderator:
You're right.

Even the recent news reports that say BL told his parents that Gabby was "gone" is vague and certainly not evidence that shows his parents knew she was dead and where her body was located. JMO.
ITA. He was driving her van and using her credit cards. Both were good reasons to retain an attorney.

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member