Found Deceased WY - Gabby Petito, Grand Teton National Park #87

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why was it necessary for the Laundries to hide the fact that Gabby was "gone"? What harm would it have caused to share that?
I can take a stab at answering that one. If Gabby's body is never found, then it becomes much, much harder to get a murder conviction. Without any kind of corroboration (like the Petito's relating what their son told them) the defense could argue that Gabby just walked away and started a new life. Even if she was found a year or two later, the decomp would have made it very difficult to determine the cause of death and there would have been no proof that the killer was Brian and not someone else.

It may have worked too. It only failed because this story blew up so huge and basically every tourist that spent time in NW Wyoming that summer was scouring their photos and videos to find any sign of the couple and their van. If there wasn't dashcam footage of the van parked right by where Gabby's body was found, who knows what would have happened.

I am not a lawyer. So maybe one with understanding can aid here. If I recall correctly, in a Civil action it is usually a preponderance of evidence standard often used to judge guilt, not being guilty, or other damages. In a criminal action it is usually guilt beyond a reasonable doubt, or not being found guilty. And it would be up to a judge, prosecutors, counsel, applicable state or other law, and the jury to make a determination on the evidence.

Sadly, also, we have seen cases of ‘jury nullification’. I also believe it is hyperbole to indicate that someone was found “innocent” of charges for which they are being tried or to which they are pleading. It seems the correct term in that scenario is “not guilty” as charged or tried. IMO it is most unfortunate that in many trial proceedings that judges often (to my recollection) don’t correct such distinctions on the record.
MOO

Last edited:
It is kind of hard to keep emotions out of it, when the plaintiffs are suing for 'emotional distress.'

Again, the case involves deciding if the plaintiffs endured 'emotional distress' because of the actions of Brian's parents. So emotions will come into play here.

Facts and emotions are not enemies of each other. JMO
I can separate my emotions from my thought processes when looking at the evidence in this case. JMO.

RBBM.

RANCH, apparently Gabby's family did not discover the photo on her cell phone until after she had died.

"The selfie was found on Petito’s cell by her parents after she was killed . . . "
So the Petito family made a false statement in their lawsuit against the Moab PD?

Why would they lie about Gabby sending them a photo of her injuries? Are there similar false statements being made by them in these lawsuits? JMO.

So the Petito family made a false statement in their lawsuit against the Moab PD?

Why would they lie about Gabby sending them a photo of her injuries? Are there similar false statements being made by them in these lawsuits? JMO.
RANCH, I've looked for this lie and haven't been able to find it. Would you mind sharing a link please? TY.

dbm
Why was it necessary for the Laundries to hide the fact that Gabby was "gone"? What harm would it have caused to share that?

The Laundries were trying to do their best and not knowing what to do in a siutation like this and their first instinct was to protect their son. The entire case was being played out in the national and international media with mobs of angry protesters camped out on their lawn. They did what many families would do and took their attorney's advice. They trusted him to help them and protect them. Dealing with the Petitos directly during the confusion and chaos would not have been advised. Had they done that, there would still likely be some kind of civil lawsuit by the Petitos who are suing everyone they can. It is sad, but that is the way it is in our litigious country.

If the Petitos are successful in settling their dispute with the Laundries then I hope that they are given an insignificant financial award which would make them happy because they won and would prove some point they are wanting to make with this lawsuit, but would not be harmful financially to the Laundries as they live out the rest of their lives. I hope that no further harm is done in this sad and tragic case to either family who are both paying the ultimate price with the loss of one of their beloved children.

RANCH, I've looked for this lie and haven't been able to find it. Would you mind sharing a link please? TY.
My post was based on this.
According to the suit, Petito contacted her family after the incident, showing them pictures of the scratches she sustained during the fight

I decided to find the actual 35 page lawsuit and see what it said. This is what I found.

Gabby contacted her family to tell them that the couple had been fighting, that Brian had hit her, and that the police had been called. The family immediately responded by beginning to arrange for Gabby to fly home and to have her van shipped home, to separate her from Brian.

So the lawsuit does not mention that Gabby sent her parents any photos/pictures of her injuries. Only that she told them BL had hit her.

I apologize to everyone for the confusion I caused.

https://www.parkerandmcconkie.com/w...2/11/Complaint-Petito-v.-Moab-City-Police.pdf

dbm

The Laundries were trying to do their best and not knowing what to do in a siutation like this and their first instinct was to protect their son. The entire case was being played out in the national and international media with mobs of angry protesters camped out on their lawn. They did what many families would do and took their attorney's advice. They trusted him to help them and protect them. Dealing with the Petitos directly during the confusion and chaos would not have been advised. Had they done that, there would still likely be some kind of civil lawsuit by the Petitos who are suing everyone they can. It is sad, but that is the way it is in our litigious country.

If the Petitos are successful in settling their dispute with the Laundries then I hope that they are given an insignificant financial award which would make them happy because they won and would prove some point they are wanting to make with this lawsuit, but would not be harmful financially to the Laundries as they live out the rest of their lives. I hope that no further harm is done in this sad and tragic case to either family who are both paying the ultimate price with the loss of one of their beloved children.
You said the Laundrie's silence was instinct to protect their son. Protect him from what?

It's simple - the Laundries had information they for whatever reason, withheld. The Petitos lawsuit alleges they suffered harm because of that. It's not like they were just two grieving families with their kids killed by a drunk driver or something. One's grief was made so much worse by the insensitive, boorish, and narcissistic actions of the other.
The Petito family knew from Gabby calling them on Aug 12 that there had been a physical altercation with Brian and police were present.

What information did the Laundrie parents have that the Petito parents did not have?

JMO

Seriously? That she was "gone".
Gabby's family had not been in touch with her since late August and reported her missing on September 11th 2021.

So they knew she was "gone" when they lost contact with her.
JMO.

Gabby's family had not been in touch with her since late August and reported her missing on September 11th 2021.

So they knew she was "gone" when they lost contact with her.
JMO.

Not sure what your point is. Are you saying they knew she was gone as in the sense Brian meant she was gone?

When Gabby's family lost contact with her, I seriously doubt that the last thing in their list of 'What's Happened to Gabby' was that she was "gone" in any sense. There are many, many other possibilities. So many that I shouldn't have to list them. Lost/broken phone, accident and hospitalized, lost, psychotic break, held hostage in any sense, etc, etc, etc.

But "gone" - whatever that means - and they were being blocked from all the people who could have given them more information.

If Brian's family didn't think he was responsible for any misdeeds against Gabby, then why on earth would they not be willing to share what their son had revealed? And who wouldn't ask, "What do you mean by gone?"

MOO

The attorney for the BL family IMO should be / have been pressed harder as to what ‘gone’ meant in that statement.

And as to what BL’s family knew at that time that others did not, including GP family and others, law enforcement, etc. - suspect one will never know. Unless the murdered victim GP family prevails in their suit, and terms of it are known publicly. MOO

Last edited:
dbm

I think would be the best scenario for all involved. I hope it settles out of court because I'm worried what public testimony from either side--about either child would do to the respective parents.

This is really too much for any parent to bear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vec416