Found Deceased WY - Gabby Petito, Grand Teton National Park #88

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
BL writes that he's haunted by the eyes he'll never see again...
That sounds like he wrote it after.... and is exactly what it is. He strangled her... so he watched the light go out..

He should have wrestled his own demons and let GP alone.

JMO

P. 2-3 missing from the van, GP's things and the MATTRESS.

FBI documented many trash dumps....

But the mattress? Why would he need to dispose of the mattress? Maybe things didn't happen quite like BL said they did. Shocker. Maybe it all happened in the van.

I am angry. His family KNEW he was violent....

Poor GP.

JMO

I would like to see the rest of this page in entirety.

After Brian writes about wanting to light himself on fire in 2018, having gone into a type of mania where he said he smashes his head, kicking through paintings, etc., from the FBI file link above on page 172, he then went on to write that on Nov 6 (assuming 2018) “we’ve gotta be back in NY but ….. No one’s doing anything but eating in silence and hiding….. because if we decide to stay nothing will change. No weight will be ? … because I am a ghost, a shell, I never had a home or a family.”

Woah.

IMG_0048.jpeg

Last edited:
I would like to see the rest of this page in entirety.

After Brian writes about wanting to light himself on fire in 2018, having gone into a type of mania where he said he smashes his head, kicking through paintings, etc., from the FBI file link above on page 172, he then went on to write that on Nov 6 (assuming 2018) “we’ve gotta be back in NY but ….. No one’s doing anything but eating in silence and hiding….. because if we decide to stay nothing will change. No wright will be ? … because I am a ghost, a shell, I never had a home or a family.”

Woah.

View attachment 509598
He needed to be inpatient for a while...damn

When did BL fly home?

Did he return with "company"? Two male family members perchance?

GP was in a great deal of distress. 3 against 1 applying pressure? Move back, abandon van life?

JMO
Brian Laundrie flew cross-country to visit his parents' home in Florida during his trip with Gabby Petito, according to the Laundrie family's lawyer, Steven Bertolini. The attorney said Laundrie flew home on August 17 and returned to Utah on August 23, four days before Petito was last seen.

So many more diary pages but so illegible for us, like they were scanned in black and white, dithered to 8 shades of pixelated grayscale.
This one is clear…and telling.

An FBI raid at Laundrie’s Florida home seized various notes from the killer, including a graphic with the words “Trust no one” and “Kill” repeated.
IMG_2762.JPG

I wonder if Gabby ever knew about his writings. His parents should have gotten him psychiatric care.
Seriously, I'd do it in a flash. Psychiatry is far far from perfect but at least he'd be out of the way of causing harm to himself and others.

Edit: then again one of the Columbine killers did get psychiatric treatment and still did what he did.

Brian Laundrie flew cross-country to visit his parents' home in Florida during his trip with Gabby Petito, according to the Laundrie family's lawyer, Steven Bertolini. The attorney said Laundrie flew home on August 17 and returned to Utah on August 23, four days before Petito was last seen.

We wondered why he came back.

I think there's a scary chance he did not return alone, he came back with family (MOO). Mama wanted him to come home, bet pressure was high. GP feeling so responsible for that monster... but not wanting to abandon her dream-- van life, blogging.

The two men.... GP, crying....

Did BL fly back fro. FL? Perhaps family came with, turned around and left... BL stayed with GP.... volatile... violent. Fatal.

JMO

I wonder if Gabby ever knew about his writings. His parents should have gotten him psychiatric care.
I don't think we really know if BL ever received psychiatric treatment. He did make reference to not wanting to take meds during Moab traffic stop. Of course GP also said she had OCD during that same stop and her family said that wasn't true. So I don't think we know about either person's psychiatric history.

If a person is functioning at a minimal level and is not an immediate threat to self or others it is pretty much impossible to force an adult into psychiatric care. Dramatic journal entries of the sort we've seen are unlikely to result in involuntary commitment IMO. If BL did have "mania" as he suggested, it's quite possible that symptom appeared after he was an adult -- average age of first manic episode in men is around 22 whereas it's a little older for women. Either way, parents forcing psychiatric care isn't usually possible by then.

MOO

We wondered why he came back.

I think there's a scary chance he did not return alone, he came back with family (MOO). Mama wanted him to come home, bet pressure was high. GP feeling so responsible for that monster... but not wanting to abandon her dream-- van life, blogging.

The two men.... GP, crying....

Did BL fly back fro. FL? Perhaps family came with, turned around and left... BL stayed with GP.... volatile... violent. Fatal.

JMO
We still don’t have the answer, I don’t think. It said he flew home to close a storage unit and get supplies to save money. Same thing we read back then. A plane flight would have cost at least $250-500 each way under such last minute circumstances. A storage unit could be emptied and closed by the parents unless he wanted to personally move items out, so it never made sense to me that he flew home to close out a storage unit to save money. Surely they would have done that prior to the big trip? And to fly home to ‘get supplies’ per the article? How much could he fit on a flight back to gabby? To be cost effective? Nothing he couldn’t purchase on their trip I’d think.

We still don’t have the answer, I don’t think. It said he flew home to close a storage unit and get supplies to save money. Same thing we read back then. A plane flight would have cost at least $250-500 each way under such last minute circumstances. A storage unit could be emptied and closed by the parents unless he wanted to personally move items out, so it never made sense to me that he flew home to close out a storage unit to save money. Surely they would have done that prior to the big trip? And to fly home to ‘get supplies’ per the article? How much could he fit on a flight back to gabby? To be cost effective? Nothing he couldn’t purchase on their trip I’d think.
But, as we know, nothing happens in a vacuum.

Mama didn't want BL to leave home in the first place. Maybe recognizing that he needed a lot of IRONING. That is my own term. Different than, say, helicopter parenting, it's parents who -- right or wrong -- are desperate to IRON every wrinkle out in an attempt to flatten the way, aware of what happens when there's a bump.

BL may have been in communication with this family but certainly was when he flew home. Perhaps there was dialogue... about coming home. Loyalty to BL over GP, loyalty to BL over GP&BL, and he was encouraged maybe to stay home. Work. Stabilize. Easy to imagine they might (wrongfully) blame GP for "making" BL upset....

However messed up BL was, whatever violence he had shown (holes in the walls????), I don't think anyone thought murder was on the table, his family may have been smoothing this for BL for years, aware that he might harm HIMSELF. But Lord, this was a tinderbox.

GP paid the price for his demons. So very unfair.

Let NO ONE turn this into star crossed lovers or that he was in such anguish after murdering her that he killed himself to be with her for all time.

1. He was in anguish long before he met her and he BROUGHT that anguish into their relationship.

2. He hung around a couple days maybe, then started pitching her personal items.... traveled across country, went camping with family... and when LE started asking questions, that's when he slithers to the park where he'd take his own life. Cowardly. He could have turned himself in. Owned up to what he did. Given GP's family the chance to know what happened, recover their daughter....

3. That crossbow scares the hell out of me.

JMO

Stewart said the Petito family was unaware of these diary entries, but that if Laundrie harbored desires to hurt himself and Gabby back when the notes were written, he did a good job of hiding it.

“We know that he’s a manipulator who hid his intentions,” Stewart said. “It’s interesting seeing all these notes, knowing now how these types of domestic violence situations turn fatal.”
So the Petito's lawyer describes how BL hid his true desires and intentions well. I can believe that.

I also feel that he hid these things from his parents as well. Hard to blame his parents for not helping him when it's likely they didn't understand his true problems. JMO.

So the Petito's lawyer describes how BL hid his true desires and intentions well. I can believe that.

I also feel that he hid these things from his parents as well. Hard to blame his parents for not helping him when it's likely they didn't understand his true problems. JMO.

It's a catch 22 when it comes to blaming parents. BL's mental state of mind was spiraling out of control. Had Laundries got him the help for his mental struggles, things would be so different.

That bring to mind Crumbleys. James and Jennifer ignored their son’s downward-spiraling mental health and did not take “reasonable care” to prevent foreseeable danger. They were found guilty of involuntary manslaughter.

I see the Laundries in the same situation...

MOO

It's a catch 22 when it comes to blaming parents. BL's mental state of mind was spiraling out of control. Had Laundries got him the help for his mental struggles, things would be so different.

That bring to mind Crumbleys. James and Jennifer ignored their son’s downward-spiraling mental health and did not take “reasonable care” to prevent foreseeable danger. They were found guilty of involuntary manslaughter.

MOO

Like I said in my post. I can't fault the Laundries for not taking action for something they didn't now about. JMO.

Like I said in my post. I can't fault the Laundries for not taking action for something they didn't now about. JMO.
Unless they did know and were covering for him... we know someone who did exhibit violent writings at age 17, and his mother covered up the fact that he was receiving psychiatric care from his social circle.

MOO

It is a matter of opinion but personally I don't see the situations as the same (other than both situations involving parents whose son committed a violent crime.)

Ethan Crumbley was 15 when he shot students at his school. Brian was a few months away from turning 24 when he killed GP.

Despite the sound bites that may have come from prosecutors in the elder Crumbleys' cases, it was NOT simply a matter of the parents ignoring Ethan's mental health. Four days before the shooting, at Ethan's request Crumbley's father bought the gun his son later used to shoot 4 people. It was supposedly a Christmas present for Ethan. After buying the gun, the father failed to secure it. The mother took Ethan to a shooting range to practice shooting. Although the Laundrie family owned firearms as many American families do, obviously GP wasn't shot much less shot by a gun the parents bought that week for BL.

Crumbley's parents ignored explicit recommendations from Ethan's school counselor to get him help and to keep him out of school on the day of the shooting (although it's unclear if the school should have acted sooner. Given the earlier internal school emails, I think the school was also at fault.) We have no evidence to suggest Brian's parents ever received any warnings from counselors when he was in high school. (So far as I can tell, we don't have writings from BL when he was 14, 15, 16 either.) We also have no evidence to show whether BL ever received any sort of mental health help. He may have as he said at the Moab stop he didn't like to take medication when discussing his anxiety. But even if the parents had been warned when BL was 15 and even if they failed to try to provide mental health help, BL's crime didn't occur until almost a full decade later. A warning from a professional on the day of or even the week of a crime is an entirely different matter.

The article posted above discusses the expected impact of the Crumbley verdicts. Some posit they will set the stage for charging more parents for their children's actions. But not everyone quoted in the article agrees. For example:

"Indeed, the elder Crumbleys’ cases were so uncommon that their impact will likely be limited, Frank Vandervort, clinical professor of law at the University of Michigan Law School, said prior to the trials in January.

“I don’t anticipate there’s going to be a lot of this kind of thing filed; I think this is a pretty unique case."

I do agree it can be a Catch-22 when blaming parents. Adult children can't be forced to get mental health help by parents anywhere in the US. Getting an involuntary commitment is not easy unless the person is in imminent danger and quite impaired by mental illness. That's also true for teenagers in most states these days. So saying all of this would have been avoided had the Laundrie parents "done something" ignores reality IMO. (And assumes the parents knew something should be done.)

<modsnip>

MOO

Edit: typo, missing word

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members