Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #14

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good question. They seem awfully unbothered by the fact their son, who is the focus of international media attention for his suspected involvement in his partner’s disappearance, is now on the run. And allegedly hiding out in swamp, nonetheless. But for some reason BL’s parents waited a few days to report their son as missing. IMO their (lack of a) response to BL absconding is very bizarre.

I think BL is hiding out somewhere, and his parents at least know he is safe. They don't appear to be helping in the search for their son, they are not on TV pleading with him to come home, etc. I also don't believe he is in the Reserve/Preserve in Florida just based on what his parents said, unless LE has additional info that would lead them to believe he is there.

-------------
This is all my own opinion only.

Later in the bodycam video, he casually pulls his phone out of his pocket when the officer asks for his number.
I thought I saw him slip his phone into his short's pocket after grabbing things from the the van. The part where he is on the driver's side. It could be that he only has a text plan on his phone, and uses Gabby's for making calls. Not sure if that's a thing in the US. It is here in Canada where even our basic phone plans aren't cheap. JMO.

Didn't the tropical storm pass through around this time? Maybe the storage unit flooded and only Brian had access and needed to get his stuff out.

Maybe, maybe not ?

Found this, which answers most of my other questions:

Boyfriend of missing Gabby Petito returned to Florida alone 10 DAYS before she was reported missing | Daily Mail Online

She's (Nichole Schmith Gabby's mother) also questioning Brian's trip back to Florida in August to help his father move their belongings out of a storage unit.

Brian left Gabby in the Fairfield Inn in Salt Lake City and flew back home to Florida from August 17 to the 23 to help his father empty out a storage unit where he and Gabby had their things.

According to Schmidt, Brian's father offered to let them keep their belongings at his house so they wouldn't have to pay for the storage unit.

He left Gabby at the hotel so she, understandably, wouldn't be alone in the van. Brian then flew back to Utah and they left the hotel together on August 24.

Schmidt now wonders why it was necessary to move Gabby's things during their road trip and what became of her stuff.

'Where are her things?' she asked.

pretty sure his words were " I don't have a cell phone. ".

Not, "I didn't have a cell phone (then)"

I said this before. I think people are taking this statement to literal. Obviously he has one later so I think he doesn't think of it as a cellphone. Its just a block of plastic that might not even have a phone plan that he keeps around because GP wants him to be connected. Or maybe to just connect to wifi from time to time or GP wants him to have it to use in an emergency ie, dialing 911 (which he apparently is opposed to)

a

agree the flight home was unnecessary

I only reason I can think of, is that they broke up. And since Gabby did not like driving the van, she was forced to stay in a hotel.

In the police video Brian had told LE that they did not have a lot of money, so I think the trip back and forth was unplanned and some sort of "issue".

I think BL is hiding out somewhere, and his parents at least know he is safe. They don't appear to be helping in the search for their son, they are not on TV pleading with him to come home, etc. I also don't believe he is in the Reserve/Preserve in Florida just based on what his parents said, unless LE has additional info that would lead them to believe he is there.

-------------
This is all my own opinion only.

JMHOO but those parents aren’t going to go anywhere they don’t have to go, nor say anything they don’t have to say. They are under fire as much as their son right now.

Just asking....how does one get to colter bay from this campsite.... it just seems the road was so far.... is hiking 10 miles a common thing to do....

It's 18 miles one way. So about 5-6 hours for a strong hiker - one way. Dirt road. If a person ran the whole way, I guess it would be more like 4 hours.

36 miles round trip. I used the coordinates given for Spread Creek Campground on Dyrt.

It looks very different (still photo from their Youtube video)—
View attachment 313336 View attachment 313337

ETA: Lighting and clutter makes a big difference, imo.

We are in the middle of an extreme drought right now in Utah. On top of that we have had record heat the entire summer. It has dried everything up and it is very dusty everywhere you go. I have never seen it this bad for the past 30 years that I have lived here. It would be a loosing battle to keep the inside of that van clean considering they were going off road to camp on unpaved FS and BLM roads.

Consider the contrast. GP's family is all over the media pleading for their daughter's safe return, information about her whereabouts, sightings, prayers, you name it.
BL's parents...crickets.

With good cause. They have hoards of people protesting outside their front door. You wouldn’t hear from me either, in that situation.

This focus on a completely reasonable speed of 45mph is kind of annoying. That's not fast. 15mph is slow as heck, may not have been as clearly posted as it should have been (like one sign that they missed from wherever they got on the road). Or just distracted and he gradually got up to speed without noticing. I have wondered speed on roads many times and it seemed to take forever before I finally got to a speed limit sign to verify what speed I should be driving.

I’m not making judgment on whether breaking the speed limit was justified in that case or any other. I was just reminding that driving distances on map/GPS apps and sites are always calculated using legal speeds, so, across a 2,000 mile drive, could differ fairly substantially from the time taken by someone who, where opportunity allows, will go faster than the legal max.

….to add to the reasons Brian’s parents probably aren’t saying anything—IMHOO there’s a very good chance he committed suicide, and they may very well know or suspect it. No reason to beg for his return or go out and look if that’s the case.

With good cause. They have hoards of people protesting outside their front door. You wouldn’t hear from me either, in that situation.
Ironically, it's the silence that has caused this in the first place.

Specifically, it's the silence that began the moment their son returned home without Gabby.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jake12