Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The confusion over whether BL was putting things into storage or taking them out of storage doesn’t necessarily have to be due to misreporting.

It was GP’s mother who said the goods were being put into storage, which is maybe what she was told. She also asks where her daughter’s stuff is in the same statement, and as the story moves on apace, with potential evidence having been moved becoming all the more significant, BL’s family could well now be changing their story.

If the side of town where they lived was perhaps the same side as the hotel where he had been sent, would it necessarily matter?

They didn't live in town. They lived about 15 miles away, east of the village of Spanish Valley, either on private property or BLM land (the facts of the case are still at issue - but the spot where they were found is here):

Warrants in Moab murders reveal second vehicle, multiple gunshots, 'creepy man'

The women left town on the highway (speed limit 55 mph and above) in their SUV. BL had no way of keeping behind them or any way of knowing where they were going...it was a really deserted, desolate spot where they lived.

@PommyMommy cleaned up our timeline (@JerseyGirl and @JudgeJoe

MAR 17: IG Post- 1 yr anniversary
JUL 2: GP announced her engagement to BL

JUL 2
: Van Life Road Trip Began for Gabby Petito and BL - GM is the owner of the van
JUL 5: The couple stopped at Kansas' Monument Rocks
JUL 8: Their next stop was Colorado Springs
JUL 10: Petito updated her Instagram with photos of her walking at Grand Sand Dunes National Park
JUL 16: Petito’s smiling in a photo from the couple’s next stop at Zion National Park
JUL 20: Petito informed her Instagram followers that they were at Cedar Breaks
JUL 21: The next stop was Bryce Canyon National Park
JUL 26: Petito posted a photo relaxing in hot tub at Mystic Hot Springs
JUL 30: The couple stopped at Canyonlands National Park Mesa Arch

AUG 10
: JF met Gabby and BL near Moab, Utah where they chatted about 40 min. JF and his gf then set off on a hike to the Delicate Arch. When they got back to the parking lot, Gabby and Laundrie were gone.
AUG 12: The couple took a hike at Arches National Park
AUG 12 Moab, UT PD police incident report - no criminal charges,respond to an incident involving BL and Gabrielle Petito
AUG 12 Arches National Park - reservation only campsite (per PE)
AUG 13: BF posted an Instagram photo from their next destination in Moab
AUG 17: BL returns to Florida via airplane to move their things out of storage returns Aug 23

AUG 19: YouTube travel video posted
AUG 21: Gabbys dad orders Uber eats
AUG 21: Gabby told her Dad on FaceTime that they had lost power during a stop in Salt Lake City.
AUG 23: BL returns from Florida trip via airplane (Where was the van parked?)
AUG 24: The couple were seen checking out of a hotel in Salt Lake City, Utah
AUG 25: Petito’s family spoke to her for the last time over the phone and she said she was in Grand Teton National Park
Last phone call between Gabby & her mom, Nicole Schmidt. Last Instagram post from Monarch Wall in Ogden, Utah.
AUG 27 - Gabby's uncle posts there was a snapchat Gabby sent a friend -heading to Yellowstone (in Dailymail article)
AUG 27 & 30: text messages from Gabby’s phone sent to mom
After August 30th, Gabby’s parents weren’t able to get in contact with Gabby or her fiance. Her fiance’s mother also was not responding to any phone calls.”
AUG 30: Text from Gabby to Mom - No service in Yosemite

SEP 1
: BL returns home to FL alone, retains an attorney & is uncooperative with the investigation
SEP 10: The family alerted the National Park Service.
SEP 11: Gabby’s family report her missing 7 PM
Sep 11: Van seized at the home of BL parents in NorthPort FL - FBI
Sep 14: BL family lawyer issues statement
Sept 15: NorthPort police names BL as Person of Interest
Sept 15: Gabby's family issues another statement (?)

Let's fill this in -
ETA: added August 12 domestic response Aug 13
(@Seattle1 )
added Dailymail info about BL trip to Florida for the "storage unit move" returning Aug 23 and Gabby's snapchat to friend they are heading to Yellowstone
ETA - GB owns the van

Could make sense to add
Aug 12: BL given hotel by LE (Seekhaven does not house men)
Aug 12: GP has van - unclear where she slept

Just thinking here but maybe he called mom crying that she had broken up with him and they decided to remove her things. However, I'm thinking it was more than that. I think his parents know exactly what has occurred and they are circling the wagons around their son. JMO
From.what I'm read they tooks the things from.a.storage unit and moved.it to the house! To save money!

The two women who were murdered were living at a campground. I don’t know how close to town it was, but I had the impression that it was somewhat rural. Although, they seem to have been killed the next night, so BL might well have had access to the van again, by then.

Also, it’s not like they slept in the van, or even had room to, they used the tent.

The reports have been released now. The ‘criminal charges’ would have been domestic violence against Gabby, and the police didn’t want to do that, since she was a tiny little thing, and her ‘taller, older, and much heavier’ boyfriend didn’t seem to be in any danger from her.
^^bbm

I disagree that DV charges would have been against GP. A full read of the incident report beginning with why a witness contacted PD provides that the witness saw BL grabbing GP's face in an attempt to prevent her from entering the van after BL wanted her to take a walk by herself. BL also admitted to trying to lock her out of the van before she managed to crawl inside through an open window!

It was after the 2nd officer followed and apprehended the vehicle that he asked BL about visible scratches on BL's arm (which BL didn't notice). BL stated they were probably from GP when she was trying to grab the wheel. GP told Officer she was hitting BL trying to get his attention to stop, not to hurt him (i.e., stop for the police following the van with lights flashing).

ETA: If there were charges, I think both would have been charged. Given the information at the time, I agree with the officer's decision to create space between the couple as a cooling-off period, which probably works most of the time.

Last edited:
That is understandable advice if a person's life is not potentially in danger. If he left her in a national park with no vehicle, her life may be in imminent danger, and if not, he should at least tell her parents that. OR tell them where she is, so they know she is not being eaten by wild animals and is safe. Why couldn't he at least do that?

IMO because he's guilty of *something*. He can hide behind his lawyer's advice for only so long.
Yes, meet with LE with your legal counsel by your side to advice, this is quite common. The 100% lack of cooperation speaks volumes.

That was the 12th, they were seen at a bar on Aug. 13th and later THAT night presumed killed.

Just catching up here ...

Unless you have a link, I haven't seen reference to "later that night". Woody's is open until 2:00 am, so last seen August 13 could have been the night of Thursday August 12 into the morning hours of Friday August 13.

JMO

Things that stood out to me on the police report (
https://mobile.twitter.com/kkuizon/status/1438202349395267584/photo/1
https://twitter.com/kkuizon/status/1438207512684212229/photo/1)

...the driver of the van. a male, had some sort of argument with the female, Gabbie, as I recall. The male tried to create distance by telling Gabbie to go take a walk to calm down. she didn't want to be separated from the mate and began slapping him. He grabbed her face and pushed her back as she pressed upon him and the van. he tried to lock her out and succeeded except for his driver's door, she opened that and forced her way over him and into the vehicle before it drove off... both agreed that Gabbie suffers from serious anxiety, etc. It appeared that this incident was more accurately categorized as a mental/emotional health "break" than a domestic assault.
He was going to leave her alone, in an unfamiliar place thousands of miles from home with no family or friends, taking with him a vehicle that legally belonged to her... In those circumstances, what 22-year-old young woman wouldn't be freaking out out?

He had no fear for his safety and did not exhibit any indicators that he may be a victim of "battered boyfriend syndrome" etc. He was assessed to be at low risk of danger or harm as a result or his proximity to his fiance...
Gabrielle. who was in the passenger seat, was crying uncontrollably. I asked Gabrielle to get out of the vehicle to speak with me. Gabrielle told me that she suffers from ………………….. with ……………………. She continued, because of her …………….. and ………….. combined with little arguments she and Brian had been having that day, she was struggling with her mental health, which led to the incident that was reported to fa\v enforcement. Gabrielle stated that when saw my lights, she hit Brian in the arm to get his attention. which in tum caused him to hit the curb while I was following them. I asked Gabrielle if her Intention was to hurt Brian and her response was that she did not Intend to hurt him but rather get his attention to notice me as I was behind them with my lights on. At no point in my investigation did Gabrielle stop crying, breathing heavily, or compose a sentence without needing to wipe away tears, wipe her nose. or rub her knees with her hands.
DID ANYONE ASK IF *SHE* FELT SAFE?

He told me they both suffer from……………….. and although her ………………... Is more advanced than his. Issues between the two had been building over the last few days. This in turn. caused them to argue more than usual.
This sounds like gaslighting, IMO. It's her fault because she has mental health issues and she's acting irrational when NO ONE is addressing the fact that her fiancé just nearly STOLE her vehicle and left her all by herself in the middle of nowhere.

Kudos for Chris reporting the altercation most people never get involved in domestic arguments. I commend him for reporting to Utah police it could have escalated and ended badly that day.

GP was worried he was going to leave without her stranded since he locked her out of the van. She was ultimately right he did end up coming home without her in her own vehicle. I hope nothing bad happened to her and she is found soon unharmed. What a horrible coward BL is not saying anything. Poor excuse of a man. Glad she never married this selfish person.

Exactly... who would leave someone who has anxiety (or any mental issue) all alone in the wilderness and take their only transportation and drive it to Florida? The whole thought process of that is mind-boggling.

Also my apologies if this was already posted but they were no longer engaged, according to the mother.

"The distraught mother also clarified that Gabby and Brian had been engaged, but decided to call it off and go back to just dating because they felt they were too young for marriage.

'I think they kind of put that on hold just because they felt it was a little fast. They were excited at first, but then they were like, let's just wait, we're very young. So they were really just boyfriend and girlfriend,' she said. "

Who gets engaged and then says nah, we're too young?

Lots of people are married at their age. It's not like they're teenagers.

Cops were called out to 'incident' involving missing van life girl and her fiancé | Daily Mail Online
I seriously doubt that she gave him her permission to take HER van to Florida without her. But we will see. In terms of being too young for marriage, I know a few couples who got married just out of high school, two of them are still together. Age is just a number. Young love is a beautiful thing when it works. IMHO.

Gabby Petito's Mom Pleads for Boyfriend's Help in Daughter's Disappearance: ‘Brian, We Need You to Talk to Us’ | Inside Edition

The distraught family of missing 22-year-old Gabby Petito is denouncing her boyfriend Brian Laundrie, who police now call a person of interest in Petito’s disappearance.

“The one person that can help find Gabby refuses to help,” Petito's family said in a statement. “Brian is also refusing to explain why he left Gabby all alone and drove her van to Florida. These are critical questions that require immediate answers."

After embarking two months ago on a cross-country road trip in their renovated camper van, Laundrie returned to his home in North Port, Florida, with the van, but Petito was not with him...

Someone named Christopher reported the incident and Gabby seemed to be the perpetrator/aggressor. Gabby and Brian had reservations in Arches. Turner and Shultz (or the murderer) had moved their van to the McDonald's parking lot but hey were found with their silver SUV south of town and presumed murdered on August 13th IIRC.
I know this isn't the Turner/Shultz thread but I don't want to see this get wings: their camper van parked at McDonalds was (per reports on their thread) found where it was normally parked and where their friends knew to look for it. That location was apparently near their employment and convenient etc.

As I understand it, they did live "in town" in this van but at the time of their murder they had been camping at a campground (using a different vehicle -- they had two).

@Seattle1 - thank you for copying and bolding the part about the family saying that it was moving things OUT of the storage unit and not INTO one (and I will await further confirmation that that's what happened - if it was a big unit with two people's entire life's possessions in it, I can see how dad wanted son to help - maybe the parents were paying the bill for it?)

Several things about this don't make sense to me, but in particular -- it would be far cheaper to hire a strong young mover-helper for a day or two than it would be to fly BL home and back to do the moving himself. I feel like there is something else going on about the storage unit.

Also, if the reason behind the moving of belongings is a breakup, and if the moving is indeed OUT of storage as reported here, why not give her belongings to her father who lives nearby (or into a smaller unit with her dad holding the key) rather than putting her belongings into the home of the family of the man she just broke up with? Too many oddities for my comfort zone... MOO

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member