Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m not sure they can charge him with GTA if the van hasn’t been reported as stolen. Especially not when the missing owner referred to it as “their” van. Additionally, I’m not sure the state of Florida could pursue the charges since technically the crime would have occurred in Utah.

not a lawyer - just speculation and opinion…

I am quoting three paragraphs from the Daily Mail article above. I bolded a few parts.

"She [i.e.Gabby's mother]said she texted Gabby on August 27 and 30, but now says she isn't sure if her daughter was on the other end of the exchange because it wasn't verbal and she didn't share any photos of herself.

She said, 'It was just a text. I did not verbally speak to her. I can't say much, but she's no longer with the van. I don't want to say anything more than that but for people looking for her, I want them to look for her now, not look for that van anymore.'

She told DailyMila.com, 'It didn't sound stressed or anything like that. It was just a little bit weird, the things that she was saying.' She didn't elaborate further.

So apparently Mom received a text purportedly from Gabby where she said she and the fiancé had split up and the fiancé had the van. Strange.​

But not with a face/voice. The last actual communication was 8-25.

SO, it leaves open the question of who sent such texts to Mom? Exculpatory texts, btw. Gives a reason for no Gabby (break-up) and a reason for BF to have the van (she gave it to him). Both are very suspect when coming from only one person - and in a manner that is unusual (Gabby spoke to her mom by Facetime AND by phone - why cover such important material by text?)

I hope this turns out to be just 2 young rebellious adults striving for their independence and privacy thinking "Well,we're over 18,we can do and go wherever we want and don't have to tell anyone where we are going or what we are doing".
I know Gabby has been checking in with her mom and everything but is it because her mom nagged her to keep in touch or because they were really close.A 22 yr old hasn't been an adult that long and at that age people can change drastically.Not saying thats what happened but I'm hoping that's all it is.

I’m not sure they can charge him with GTA if the van hasn’t been reported as stolen. Especially not when the missing owner referred to it as “their” van. Additionally, I’m not sure the state of Florida could pursue the charges since technically the crime would have occurred in Utah.

Yeah - FL won't pursue it. However, the van can still be reported as missing by Gabby's parents. In Utah.

And Gabby's parents can go to court on her behalf and get a Guardian ad Litem or more likely a Guardianship of her resources - and then, they can show that her BF did not return the van to its proper owner (which, if it's hers, he did not).

This has to be maddening to GP’s family. Hiring an attorney, fine. However, not talking to LE? No way, dude. Surely if this was a bad breakup one’s spirit/ego could not be shattered that much that you build walls around yourself and leave it to others to figure it out? How weak.

I have to remind myself, IIRC, his parents know her well. I believe she lived with his parents. Enough. IMO

I always do my best to be impartial, as I'd hate to be accused of heinous things if there were something similar to happen in my life.

That being said, this story is unfolding much like a movie plot. There are still curious details that make me believe something happened that is still going to twist the story.

If Gabby's Mom or Dad is also listed on the title (which aI do), they can file a police report for gta.

The vehicle is registered in FL so whoever the owner is can call it in stolen
IMO

Can someone please explain to me about BL going back home to FL to pack up things. This forum is moving a mile a minute and I'm getting so confused. Did he actually go back to FL or was he asked by his parents to return to FL?

So far, as far as I know, the only source that Websleuths acknowledges is the Daily Mail article that came out today. It refers to his going back to Florida, ‘during their trip,’ but it doesn’t have enough context or detail to be clear.

Thank you! He stole her van. I don't care how you slice it. Legally the van was not his. If they parted ways, why the heck would she give the van to him? She wouldn't. That solidifies for me that she did not voluntarily part ways.
Fair enough, but I think it's too early to know if he had permission to use the van, or not.

We're not sure where Gabby is. Her family gave us the timeline on the last time they heard from her, but who's to say she didn't drive back to Florida with him, turn in the driveway, and walk away?

It's hard to charge someone with "theft of a motor vehicle" if the owner hasn't reported it stolen, and even so, is it "theft" or "unauthorized use of a motor vehicle"? If his intent was to give it back to her, then it's the latter.

He's been driving the van for 2 months without issue. If my brother borrows my pick up every day for 2 months and I am fine with that, that doesn't mean he stole it because it's not in his name. Charging him with theft may be a stretch to a reasonable person if he takes it on the 61st day.

What state would press charges if he was charged with theft? We don't know when or in what state they parted ways.

I am no way saying you are wrong. I just think we need more information before he can be charged, or more importantly convicted.

Can someone please explain to me about BL going back home to FL to pack up things. This forum is moving a mile a minute and I'm getting so confused. Did he actually go back to FL or was he asked by his parents to return to FL?

My understanding is that he, BL, drove the van to his parents' in Florida.

Whether he did so because they asked him to, or of his own volition, I have no idea.

It also seems to be likely that BL and his father unloaded everything from the van in Florida, including some of Gabby's possessions, to be kept in storage in Florida.

Law enforcement in turn seized the van from Florida.

IMO, and happy to accept correction from others. :)

ETA: As per CBS New York:

"Gabby Petito embarked on her van trip with boyfriend, Brian Laundrie, and was documenting what appeared to be their happy adventure. He returned to their house in North Port, Florida, as did the van, but without her.

“There has been no contact, so there is no story,” Joseph Petitio said, reiterating when asked by Gusoff that his family has not spoken to Laundrie.

The missing woman’s mother said Monday she last heard from her more than two weeks ago.

“The first couple of days, though I wasn’t getting responses, I believed she was in a place with no service. It was like day eight or nine when I really became concerned,” Nichole Schmidt said.

Police in Florida said the van has been secured for preservation of evidence if any crime was committed and are calling Laundrie a person of interest, as would any missing person’s last known contact."

More here:

Gabby Petito's Father, Law Enforcement Say Boyfriend Who Went On Cross Country Trip Not Speaking

Last edited:
I hope this turns out to be just 2 young rebellious adults striving for their independence and privacy thinking "Well,we're over 18,we can do and go wherever we want and don't have to tell anyone where we are going or what we are doing".
I know Gabby has been checking in with her mom and everything but is it because her mom nagged her to keep in touch or because they were really close.A 22 yr old hasn't been an adult that long and at that age people can change drastically.Not saying thats what happened but I'm hoping that's all it is.

So I’m curious, and I know we don’t know this, but WHY was it so important to move GP’s things out of the house during their trip? And where was she planning to go after the trip? Was BL planning to go with her? Stay with his parents? It’s such a bizarre thing to do and yet return on the trip and keep on with the relationship?

Yet, Gabby was Insta-ing and blogging and also communicating with two sets of family members - trying to build her channel. Even if you want to depict Gabby's mom in this manner (daughter doesn't really care to stay in touch), she was staying in touch with several (many) others.

So you think she gave her BF the van and just slipped away, as I take it.

Hoping they are searching that storage facility as well.

it is confusing. So he flew home in the middle of this VanLife road trip to help dad load up a storage facility, then flew back to where gabby was and they are seen checking out of a hotel room. That’s last sighting.

Is this right?

Hoping they are searching that storage facility as well.

it is confusing. So he flew home in the middle of this VanLife road trip to help dad load up a storage facility, then flew back to where gabby was and they are seen checking out of a hotel room. That’s last sighting.

Is this right?

Yes, that's how I understand it.

<modsnip - quoted post was removed for linking and posting from a source that is NOT approved MSM>

I'm not sure if this is relevant, but according to Rocky Mountain Power, all power was restored to Salt Lake City the evening of the 20th. https://twitter.com/RMP_Utah/status/1428844459538661383 (Here's another article from ABC4 that says the same)

There were, however, outages in Ogden still through the 21st.
https://twitter.com/RMP_Utah/status/1429237083395211268

THIS ARTICLE from the Salt Lake Tribune on the 21st suggests only a "few hundred" homes in Salt Lake City were without power, while Weber County (where Ogden is located) still had thousands without power.

Is GP's dad misremembering the day of the Uber Eats?

(I'm in Utah, so I'm just trying to pin down the timeline of when she was in SLC/Ogden and what they might have done or where they might have gone during that time, since that seems to be around the time when *something* changed.)

I'm local as well. The monsoon storms rolled in several times during that week causing damage and power outages But I couldn't tell you the dates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rwiz