Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #22

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone!

Long-time lurker here. I’m a DV survivor so probably quite biased in some of my views here, but the first thing that struck me about BL was how much I DIDN’T think he’d done anything nefarious to GP at first… which, in my experience, probably means that he DID. I’m a sucker for an abusive man, apparently. My sad dating history contains red flag after red flag that I failed to spot. It was only after other people pointed it out that I recognised the ‘signs’ that GP+ BL could have been in an abusive/toxic relationship.

With regards to BL’s parents, I have a little theory based on my own sorry abusive marriage.

Disclaimer: Gabby is the victim here 100%. I’m not suggesting otherwise.

What if BL simply told his parents what we’ve seen in the body cam LE video? GP was the self-confessed “aggressor”, the police put HIM in a DV-associated hotel (from what I can make out) and not HER. I don’t have children so I can’t speak personally, but if my theoretical son were to come to me and tell me that his girlfriend had been violent to him, he had been left with physical marks (?) on his body (that could’ve been photographed & sent/shown to them as evidence), and LE were on HIS side, putting HIM in a safe place while she stayed in the van — I’d be inclined to believe him. Wouldn’t there also be some kind of paperwork showing that LE supported that version of events?

So, BL’s parents pay for him to get to safety — back to them in Florida. (The flights where BL was supposedly clearing something out of storage?) Time apart works wonders and all that. Perhaps they were worried that violence would escalate even further on one or both sides if BL + GP continued the trip together in that kind of mind frame, so separated them in the same way that the police did. Maybe they’ve even seen “scuffles” between GP + BL before with their own eyes and know that separating them for a while is the best option. Maybe they even paid for GP to have the hotel room she stayed in, that they were seen coming out of.

GP + BL reconcile via phone, have some chats, decide to give things another go. He flies back to Utah, meets up with GP, and carries on with the trip. A couple of days later, a big fight erupts again.

*Something bad happens + GP ends up, sadly, deceased*

BL tells his parents that violence has happened again from GP so their first thought is to get him to safety. They won’t automatically assume that BL has done something unpleasant to GP because of what they already think they know. Maybe he tells them that the police were involved a second time and GP was the “aggressor” again.

It doesn’t excuse or properly explain their behaviour OF COURSE, but it could explain why they initially didn’t want to speak out. Maybe they only know *that* particular LE stop part of the story — which, by the paperwork and outcome, appears to be true to then. And possibly why they might have called a lawyer (and not the right kind of lawyer?) right off the bat. Advice? Should BL press charges against GP? Recouping vacation costs? *shrugs*

I think I also read that GP’s family may not have known about BL’s trip back. (Apologies if I’m wrong.) That, again, makes sense to me — GP wouldn’t have wanted to tell her family about his solo part of the trip back to Florida because it would mean admitting that she was the aggressor and was violent towards BL and they took HIM away for his safety.

I’m genuinely leaning towards BL’s parents not knowing the whole story to begin with. He potentially manipulated LE… Would it really be a stretch to think he could manipulate his parents too? Maybe they just thought he was heartbroken until GP’s family started asking questions and then BL did a runner? He could even have told them that she made her way back to her mum/dad’s place.

I don’t know what to think about BL. I see both sides — snapped and potentially killed by accident vs. stone cold abusive SOAB. I think he’s guilty of something. Why would he run otherwise? I think it’s very likely he’s no longer with us.

I do have a question for the legally minded of you: Would the investigation still be a “murder” investigation if the police thought it genuinely was an accidental death/manslaughter-type situation? I haven’t noticed anyone mentioning the actual word despite a body being found.

I dont disagree that perhaps they didnt know at first, but when GPs family started calling and then she was missing, they had to get a clue.

MOO: I'm going to float a theory that's crossed my mind a few times, based on the inclusion of the song on the Spotify playlist about picking someone up at the bar. MAYBE GP & BL broke up before he headed to FL for the week while she stayed in the Salt Lake hotel. MAYBE she met someone at a bar and spent some time with them. MAYBE when BL came back they made up and she felt compelled to be upfront about what happened when he was away. MAYBE he couldn't accept that and started plotting revenge.

Again, MOO and pure speculation.

I can believe that BL came home and made up a story and they believed him. They seem like enablers, so I can see how BL would manipulate them.

All of this stops the second Gabby's mom tries to make contact. THEY ignored her, not BL, all of them. At that point you have to know something is up. Something is wrong. This person that lived with your family for 2 years is nowhere to be found.

I don't know how much information BL's parents had in the beginning, but as the days went on and as Gabby's mom contacted them, they had to know something wasn't right. They could've done the right thing. Instead they've been doing everything to help BL. They feel no moral obligation, no love for Gabby or her family. And at this point they can't play innocent. They can't say they are blindsided.

MOO they knew something was wrong from the second BL came home. Gabby lived with them. They had to have seen how he treated her, what their relationship was like. IMO they were/are either in denial or their own relationship is just as toxic and they're trying to cover all of their asses by staying silent.
Just jumping off your post:
This young lady has lived with him and his family for how long?
There is no way his parents did not see any fights between this couple, IMO.
Of course they were in a confined space for many days together and yes, imo, that can strain a relationship...but I do not think this fighting just started. The 911 call of him hitting her, she said no, but..... That is not the first time this boy has laid hands on her, MOO.
And I think, his parents have seen this for a while. No, they probably did not think it would come to what it did, but they still basically covered for him.

and how would he recharge it?

Portable batteries. Some can be as small as a lipstick. Could have been handed off, who knows.

And with COVID, he can easily find a place with an outlet, a free charging station - all he has to do is wear sunglasses/hat and mask and you can't REALLY tell.

Edited: This is just my opinion. Do I think he'd take that risk? Possibly not but when you're desperate, all bets are off the table.

I don't recognize my son's sensei without her mask on, I walked past her in the park and had NO idea it was her.

LE had to make several judgement calls in that 75 minutes. Nothing is perfect. They're under so much pressure in a traffic stop like this. I just think it's unfortunate Michael's call to 911 somehow wasn't relayed to LE who were talking to G & B. But everyone can Monday morning quarterback for sure. I read what the female ranger said about having regrets she didn't press the matter with G. I read them when someone posted her words here this morning. No, I don't have a link. I mean, at least the female ranger said something to G. I'm really glad she did.

Oh for sure. I totally agree that this was full of judgment calls. They do the best they can with the information they have. I have seen a lot of people rail against those officers claiming she wouldn't be dead if they had taken her to jail and/or read the situation correctly. Abusers like Brian (if he's what I think he is) are extremely hard to figure out, especially in 75 minutes. Women stay in relationships for years without realizing what's slowly happening to them. I am sure those officers feel terrible and have guilt over getting it "wrong" but honestly, I don't see how they could have gotten it right with the info in front of them.

I doubt he ever went into the reserve. I think he met family friends in the parking lot and is holed up with them. No proof of this, it's just a theory.
i think there's a chance some dogs picked up a on a track into the area though on the first day they were there. hence a search. but , yeah your theory is plausible in my opinion. MOO.

He did not leave it there a few days. It was driven there on Tuesday and retrieved either Tuesday night by his parents or early weds morning. The citation or whatever was probably placed there sometime Tuesday. Mustang was in the driveway on Wednesday morning. jmo
The less time the Mustang was there, less likely to be spotted and linked to the Lo’s, more time for BL to get away.
Just seems very odd they left it there and didn’t drop him off? Perhaps worried they would be seen on CCTV, and that would be clearly assisting an offender as IMO they knew GP was deceased prior to BL returning.
JMO.

Two things I wanted to comment on after seeing it come up a lot:
1. Location of likely GP body being found: makes me think she was not brought there. Like everyone said, even though she wasn't happened upon quickly, no one wanting to hide a body would carry her away just to leave her in a clearing. They would likely just use the more wooded areas or take time to cover her, IMOO. I think whatever happened all happened right there.
2. Re: the parents not begging for help to find their son - i dont think that is indicative of their belief that he is long gone from the area or already dead per se. If the parents did express being distraught over his safety or ask for help, just imagine what the response would be. It's a no win situation. I'm not saying this out of sympathy, more that IMO we can't draw any conclusions from their silence.

Hate to say this - because I still find it unthinkable - but there was a not guilty verdict handed down so how do you hold anyone else accountable?

I'm not saying it is applicable or relevant here, but there are crimes for obstructing or interfering with a criminal investigation that don't really depend on the status of the underlying case.

Yes, and I wouldn't doubt that his parents also knew this.
A huge red flag for me was how she automatically starts blaming herself aloud. When I first watched that, my thought was, "Oh no, you're being abused." I got the sense it's not rare for her to take the blame for whatever goes wrong in her environment.

Thats been my supposition all along. They have used him before for anything a normal family might need an attorney for, real estate, wills, etc, and when they found out she was missing they had his card handy. Putting myself in their shoes, and I had decided that I was a heartless ruthless human being, and my son told me upon arrival on Sep 1 that he had killed his girlfriend, I would think this would be a situation that would need more than just setting up a trust fund or something. I might call that lawyer to get a recommendation but I would have someone else lined up 10 days later when LE shows up.
Honestly the fact that they still haven’t gotten a more local attorney makes me think they’re in a state of belief. If you knew your son was guilty of this crime, if you even suspected it, you’d lawyer up. Properly. Yet here we are, one day after the FBI raided their house and the family lawyer is still on tap. /JMO

Hi! Are these places in AL? I'm a Brit and don't have my USA geography fully down yet haha

TIA

Yes they're in Alabama, but that doesn't help much unless you look at a map.
Please tell me you can access Google maps in the UK. hehe!
But the point I'm making is you probably want to see where those towns are in reference to North Port, FL.

I looked at the Flight Tracker app & there are a surprising number of choppers in the air.
But they are all Army -- no police -- and Fort Rucker Army base is right there.
So they're doing training exercises.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members