Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #33

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't believe homicide was in the equation at that moment. MOO! She told police, while not at all in front of him, that she hit him. He told police, while not in front of her, that her pushed her.
Homicide was the outcome.
I'll put it another way regarding them 'putting hands on each other'
He was bigger, heavier, possibly fitter and physically stronger.
There could never be parity when they 'put hands on each other', because she could never have won a physical fight.

Also odd to me, that the caller claiming he saw Brian repeatedly hitting Gabby and they both jump in the van and sped off....did not see Gabby had to climb through a window to get in van?

Makes me think what he saw was not start to finish, if he was driving he might have had to turn away.

Did not the “through window climb” come after what the initial 921 caller saw? Did he actually stick around for the entire thing? Sounds like the 2nd caller saw the last part and the first caller saw the initial rumpus. Each one reported what they saw, and wach part was a little different.

I think the question here is, do you think the police lied in their report? Do you think they had heard the 911 call, stopped Brian and then decided to negate the 911 call? What I'm asking is, what do you think the problem was? We all agree there was a problem, if there wasn't then Gabby would be alive. Where I believe we disagree is on what the problem was, and that's okay and it's not even victim bashing. It's just a difference of opinions on what the ultimate fix should be.

Just my 2 cents but 2 different sets of officer responded to that incident. One set responded to the 911 call. The “pull over” was done by an officer that noticed erratic driving by the van. One total incident that played out in 2 parts with officers not having information from the previous situation when they pulled them over. Thus why everyone is so confused on why officers didn’t react the way they thought they should. Communication was just delayed.

She had visible marks and was distraught to a degree beyond reasonable for the situation of her being an abuser. She was falling over herself not only to take all responsibility for physical violence, but also to say that the whole dispute was her fault because she made him mad. Meanwhile, he was agitated, but basically calm, smirking at times, calling her "crazy," and taking no real responsibility for his actions.

The fact that she was willing to place herself at fault as she "angered him" is indicative of abuse. Absent her direct testimony that he attacked her criminally (and she was apparently unwilling to give that testimony), it does not count as evidence of a crime.

I don't doubt that L was being himself that day. Having an unpleasantly self centered, or even an anti social personality is not a criminal offense- nor is it evidence that a crime occurred.

As for the accuracy of the 911 caller, his testimony alone that a crime occurred may not be sufficient for prosecution if the actual victim was unwilling to testify.

In short, the police cannot force victims to testify and they cannot force couples break up- even if they have bad feelings about the pair.

Ironically, when police make arrests on "maybes", "does not look right", or "Put'em in jail for the night- let 'em go in the morning" type thinking they are over zealous or harassing.

Yet, when the crystal ball is not working, they get accused of "should have done more" or "Should have predicted "x" ".

Last edited:
Things one might notice...

After LE takes Gabby to his vehicle, he comes back to BL and BL asks "Did you talk to Gabby?" as if he was trying to gage what he knew.

He seems nervous up until the point that he is told by the police that Gabby is seen as the aggressor, and then he laughs. He starts joking with the cops and completely relaxes. He's under the impression that his fiancé is about to be charged and he's joking around. He never advocated for her.

He never once asks if Gabby is okay. Will she be going somewhere safe for the night?

When Gabby is told she isn't being charged, she isn't relieved, she is still crying. The officer actually tells her to stop crying because there was no reason to cry.
The moment the officer approaches, Gabby immediately apologizes. They should have been asked if they knew why they were being pulled over. That's usual protocol, and I understand this was domestic so LE immediately also has to keep things calm and separate the parties. Next, when Brian asks if they've talked to Gabby, that should be answered with another question, "why do you ask"? And then when she was still crying, ask her why she's crying. My feeling is that there were too many assumptions being made and not enough questions being asked.

I understand that, but he was still raging. His girlfriend was in tears. If he was as manic and terrible as they seem to imply he was to complete strangers how was there no concern for his inconsolable girlfriend? By those witness accounts he sounds like a madman. /JMO

If it were me, I would leave it up to the restaurants discretion. And assume they didn't cause they get it a lot, or they have a liquor license or just don't want to deal with LE and reporting an issue.

Very interesting and good post.

I think part of why the first incident was called in, whereas the second was not, was because the first incident involved a very public physical altercation, whereas the second involved verbal aggression and intimidation. Frankly, I’m kind of surprised that the restaurant workers didn’t call the police after he stormed back in the second time, because someone who is behaving like that could easily storm back in with a firearm. I wish one of the customers in Jackson Hole had called, but it isn’t clear what they would have reported with regard to Gabby, other than that her boyfriend seemed to have anger issues and they were concerned — which wouldn’t have been actionable… I wish things had been different.

JMO.

ITA.

everybody wants LE to be able to have stopped him.

few people asserting this seem to have much in the way of solid proof, what practical type of treatment of the situation could have stopped him.

I'm not so sure if that couple across the street have their information mixed up. I think the white camper could have been the one GP and BL had. I'm sure it was new to them. I thought that they all went camping with the camper shell and the truck. You have to put them both together to make a "camper". You can't do anything with the camper shell unless you have a truck. I think that Gabby's dad would know exactly if that's her camper. They have VIN numbers to track and identify a specific vehicle since they are unique to that vehicle.

The camper belongs to the Laundries. The vehicle that was used by Gabby and Brian was a Van. That van belonged to Gabby and has been taken by a police warrant. The camper is said to be new, and the Laundries left with Brian for an "excursion" just before police were notified about Gabbys disappearance.

Does anyone know if it was it actually BL's car? or dad's? sometimes feel like sportts cars, in an older man shouts 'mid life crisis' (my brother has a mustang at 60 so i can attest to him), but also it's not cheap. . . so if it was his it was grifted to him i would guess. and i don't know -- does a person who is so concerned with nature and the environment really go for that look? i'm thinking more subaru or an electric car, hybrid, type of vehicle, JMO.
First, I think that the nature/environment thing was a matter of convenience or longed for image. That's my opinion. As for Mustang ownership stereo-type... I have four mustangs - '69, '77, '09, and '16. None were mid-life crisis generated. Some people just like the car... and, for me, they keep me off blood pressure meds. LOL

I'm not so sure if that couple across the street have their information mixed up. I think the white camper could have been the one GP and BL had. I'm sure it was new to them. I thought that they all went camping with the camper shell and the truck. You have to put them both together to make a "camper". You can't do anything with the camper shell unless you have a truck. I think that Gabby's dad would know exactly if that's her camper. They have VIN numbers to track and identify a specific vehicle since they are unique to that vehicle.
GB and BL used a van. There is/was a "shell" camper that fits over a truck bed. The last picture I saw it was sitting on a stand of sorts in the driveway. I don't think it has anything to do with GB and BL directly. The two of them didn't make use of it at any point.

Which raises the question as to why Gabby was even crying - which no one recalling the incident can even explain. Are we to believe she was crying, “hysterically” so, b/c he was mean to the staff? Over a bill? I’m just not sure that makes sense to me. /JMO
I think she was crying for a few reasons. 1) once again, his anger issues were ruining their day, 2) it was super-embarrassing, 3) she knew that he would hurt her when they got someplace private, because that’s what he did when he was angry. JMO.

Did not the “through window climb” come after what the initial 921 caller saw? Did he actually stick around for the entire thing? Sounds like the 2nd caller saw the last part and the first caller saw the initial rumpus. Each one reported what they saw, and wach part was a little different.
That's my reading of it too..

I don't believe homicide was in the equation at that moment. MOO! She told police, while not at all in front of him, that she hit him. He told police, while not in front of her, that her pushed her.

Homicide should be in the equation of any domestic violence call. Period. In fact, I don’t recall if either was even asked if they feared for their life and that’s standard protocol.

“If you have fear for your life, we will remove you from this situation immediately and give you ongoing support and assistance. You do not have to go back to them.”
A victim can barely nod a response and the standard DV call stops - they are immediately separated by more than 50 feet.

A huge reason for this is if someone is in fear for their life - they aren’t going to talk if they think you are even possibly going to let that person back near them.

4,000 DV homicides every year means you are responding to a situation that could end up in homicide at any given moment.

There were two different witnesses. One saw them running up and down the street and saw him slapping and hitting her. The other witness, Christopher, was the one police spoke to. He was the one who saw Gabby climb through the window and reported Gabby hitting Brian. He told police he never saw him hit her, which is probably why they concluded that she was the aggressor. He never hit her once they got in the van. Both Gabby and Brian said she was hitting him in arm in order to alert him to pull over. That was apparently what led him to hit the curb. Imo

We don’t know whether he hit her or not in the van. Just because she didn’t mention it, doesn’t mean it didn’t happen. Neither of them told LE about the physical fight just minutes ago. Did Brian admit to hitting her? No. Did she mention it? No.

She did say he pushed her away in the van, she showed that by putting her hands on the neck (iirc).

Given his behavior in public, I can see him yelling at her more in the van, making threats and driving dangerously to upset her further.

Let’s not forget that she was distraught when LE stopped them, just a broken girl… and BL was all smiley, putting on his best performance.

I am thinking back to the question I answered a bit ago about the person in the nightvision we see. YES , everyone that needs to be alerted has been alerted to it.

But, it got me thinking along with the statement tweeted today that reinforces the fact that they truly believe he is in the reserve. Can he really be *that* good at hiding from them?

Could the use of the video footage we saw have been a message to Brian, that says "Hey, we know you are there and have seen you?" I know things like this have been done in cases in the past, most notably the police chief of Wichita, KS flashing a subliminal message to Dennis Rader, BTK Strangler. Smart or lucky?
I think it’s possible. Maybe that’s why msm hasn’t picked up on the video. Everyone who has been spoken to about it has seemed oblivious.. so maybe it was a message saying heeeeeey we saw you.

Isn't it strange that the police officers that did the stop said something like: we could be judged someday by everybody that watches this video...

as if they kinda knew in their subconscious that something wasn't right...

anybody remember that?

After reading the transcript, and watching the video, I thought they handled the whole interaction thoughtfully and caringly. The couple clearly loved eachother, she had zero physical signs of abuse, and neither of them acted violently or out of control in their presence. Brian even offered to go to jail instead of her. It's easy to blame everybody under the sun in hindsight, but all these officers had was a very brief snapshot to go on. I think we need to put the pitchforks down concerning these police officers.

I am thinking back to the question I answered a bit ago about the person in the nightvision we see. YES , everyone that needs to be alerted has been alerted to it.

But, it got me thinking along with the statement tweeted today that reinforces the fact that they truly believe he is in the reserve. Can he really be *that* good at hiding from them?

Could the use of the video footage we saw have been a message to Brian, that says "Hey, we know you are there and have seen you?" I know things like this have been done in cases in the past, most notably the police chief of Wichita, KS flashing a subliminal message to Dennis Rader, BTK Strangler. Smart or lucky?

Very good theory!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members