Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #33

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It depends if she was willing to give him the PIN or he added his face to her account w/o permission when she bought it. In light of the other accounts, her friend Rose said he controlled her phone deleted apps that she used even hide her phone and ID. With the other details, it spells out overcontrolling, trust issues with BL.
Yes taking into account all the other things we've learned it does appear that way. I was responding to a poster who said because he was able to access her phone that was proof he was controlling.

I don't believe this one action alone can be indicative of controlling behaviour.

Gabby Petito's Stepdad Leaves Stone Memorial at Site Where Her Body Was Found

There is also a larger cross near where Gabby was found, though her father's friend said it was happenstance.

"That larger cross was not done by anyone connected with the search or recovery of Gabby. It was just a coincidence, we confirmed that," he told The Independent.
So competing family quotes - one says investigators did it and one says coincidence - anyone care to tweet the reporter ?

I wonder if Brian has a burner phone that he keeps turned off most of the time, but when he does turn it on for any kind of update, LE can see that there is a cell phone in the middle of the park where there isn't supposed to be one.

Or there were plastic straws on the table. o_O

I read it was regarding the bill, possibly. Was he trying to weasel out of it?

Merry Piglets confirms Gabby Petito and Brian Laundrie were at restaurant
I waited tables for many years. There is no telling what is going to make someone angry. A plate-sharing fee, maybe he didn't know the beans cost extra, perhaps he thought he was ordering the $7 bean burrito when he was actually ordering the $10 bean burrito supreme. People get worked up about all sorts of crazy stuff.

Yeah, you are right. Not all of them. I think the crying comes first. Then they stop talking, thinking and feeling after that. I know not every case is exactly the same.
People hold it in as well, they're 'bending' reality constantly to stay ahead of the posse of emotions that could overwhelm... they just can't afford those emotional expressions at the time and sometimes for years afterwards...IMO

WAIT! How did I miss that? GP'd dad went to BL's home? Did he talk to anyone? Did he actually SEE BL with his own eyes? How did I miss this?

The statement released was incorrect. The Petito family has confirmed that's not what happened.
The timeline here still says that, but apparently Dad didn't go there, just tried to report her missing.

What I can't quite figure out is what is the point of him hiding out? At some point he will need to get money, food or clothes, supplies of some sort and if he breaks cover, goes anywhere near an ATM or food shop he will be spotted. Sure the current publicity and his face will fade somewhat from the public eye but its hard to see how he could get on with his life in any meaningful way without being identified. So if this was planned either on his own or with his parents it's a dead end not a strategy. Another impulsive move that leaves him nowhere to go. Like his cross country flight home after AP's death.

It makes it harder for me to imagine his parents being involved because surely it would be obvious that he would have to surface and face the music at some point? At least to them as more mature adults?

So for me it feels more likely that he may never be found because he's dead - whether through suicide or misadventure. We may never know which. After all we read many cases on here of people who go missing and aren't found for years or at all whilst hiking or travelling on their own. All JMO.

Additional context on the messages placed outside the Laundrie home today––

FBI wants any helpful tips in Gabby Petito case, search for fiancé – WINK
<snipped>
Terri Desesso didn’t know Gabby Petito or Brian Laundrie. But she drove 50 miles Friday to post a message on the house they used to call home, a flyer with a picture of Gabby and a reminder to the Laundrie family that she once lived there.

“I don’t even know the girl, and I don’t know what happened,” Desesso said. “All I know is she’s not here, and she can’t talk for herself.”

Desesso hopes and prays her simple gesture gets to the Laundrie’s. The FBI would love nothing more for them to talk. Short of that, agents hope anyone with information will call the FBI’s tip line.

“They’re trained how to gather information on the phone, how to get details that can help an investigation,” Desseso said.

She went to the Laundries house? I can’t access the article.

On BE's twitter feed earlier, he said that he had been talking to someone who had 30+ year experience with the FBI and profiling criminals. It was her professional opinion, he recounted, that she felt 100% he would be found alive - there was no doubt in her mind. So, we will see.

I, for one, would like for him to be found alive so that we can all get answers on what happened.

Why Why why?? I want her to be right, but Why?? I don't get it.

One of the first documents filed was a request to seal. The arrest warrant was then filed on 9/22 under seal. The docket was not available to be viewed by the public while it was under seal. Then yesterday, the state requested the case be unsealed and the judge granted it. That made the whole docket public so we can see. That's why we were able to view the warrants and the request for detention - because it was unsealed.

So it is about what is already up there, not something new. (Unfortunately!)

Thank you!!!!

I agree, but it's important to keep in mind that the emotional and psychological effects of DV are damaging in and of themselves, irrespective of the presence or severity of physical injury.
Unfortunately, it's not illegal to be an emotionally or psychologically abusive *advertiser censored**hole to your significant other.
Bias toward protecting the female. I might have not been clear. That because females are at a big disadvantage physically, they should get the benefit of the doubt, and more protection. And I think mostly they do.

But, thinking out loud, can you imagine what our prisons would look like if LE arrested every person that got into a physical fight? I dont know the solution....

I think if the police made an error that day, in was ultimately from this bias you mention, in Gabby's favor. The officers believed she was the suspect in a DV assault, which would mandate an arrest. They REALLY didn't want to take her to jail. I felt like the one officer was practically coaching her on how to answer so that they could consider it a mental health issue more than a DV. I wish they would have arrested her. It could have saved her life. :(

So competing family quotes - one says investigators did it and one says coincidence - anyone care to tweet the reporter ?

The People article is more recent than the tweet from the CBS reporter, but it's based on what was told to The Independent, which might have been days before. I took it as a 'more recent' statement, and confirmation that the search team was not involved at all in building a memorial at the site. Which tracks for me, since I could not imagine law enforcement putting up a memorial of any sort, let alone one that might be considered a religious symbol, but I've felt this way since day 1.

Hard to tell what's true.

I wonder if Brian has a burner phone that he keeps turned off most of the time, but when he does turn it on for any kind of update, LE can see that there is a cell phone in the middle of the park where there isn't supposed to be one.
I’ve been wondering what is driving this extensive search - I think you have a possibility there and I wonder if he was “coached” on how he might be tracked - would love to see the internet searches starting on 8/27 by all involved - I think they will be revealing ..
JMO

Some interesting photos inside the Laundrie's home from 2017 when it was on the market here, including Brian's bedroom with some objects of possible interest. Also photos of additional real estate holdings that they have sold. I don't quite know what to make of the photos of their current home. I assume they were asked to depersonalize by the realtor?: Inside Brian Laundrie's bedroom as Gabby Petito's homicide confirmed

I’ve just spotted something on the body cam footage to help support evidence Brian was controlling her phone. The police officer that was talking to gabby comes over to Brian to ask him where her phone is. - If Gabby knew why would they need to ask Brian.

He then tells the officer that its in a spot whilst gesturing with his hand in a way that looks like he’s showing it’s tucked in somewhere. - what 22 year old doesn’t have their phone on them in a pocket or shoved into their bra.

When he gets her phone out of the car (an iPhone with FaceID) he UNLOCKS the phone with his face and gives it to the officer. - If Gabby had a way into her phone he would not need to unlock it for her! This is at 42 minutes in. He looks at the phone and swipes up.

Did anyone else pick up on the fact that at 14.35 in the video, BL says,

"I don't have my phone on me..I don't have my..I don't really.. I don't have a phone, so if she goes off without me, I'm on my own!"

Why would he claim he doesn't have his own phone when he does?

This varies state to state, & this is just for informational purposes with how it is where I live for comparison. I know in Alabama, where I live, if there’s a DV situation, & the cops get called…if one person has physical injuries & the other doesn’t - the person without the injuries gets arrested. This happened to my friend. Her boyfriend had hit her thru a jacket, pulled her hair, yanked on the steering wheel while driving, etc. She is the one that called the cops. She left the house in handcuffs bc he had one scratch above his eyebrow where she had to get him away from the steering wheel. She had no visible marks on her. It made me so mad. The “visible mark” rule might not be the same everywhere…but that is how it is here.

And that is so wrong. There is something wrong when LE doesn't understand reactive violence. You have the right to defend yourself if you are being attacked. This sounds like 1980's policing. And this is why DV victims hide the abuse. They speak up or call the police and they get punished by LE and their abuser is now really really angry you called the cops.

I am a LE family. I defend LE to a fault. I will not defend them for their actions in Moab. I don't know if a policy change is needed or better training.

It can't be said nothing the police would have done would have made a difference. We do not know that. If Gabby would have correctly been deemed the victim, and had been taken to a woman's shelter and gotten professional help she might be alive today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChillThrills