Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The question now is who has THE phone? I pray to God it was in her possession last but there’s so many questions concerning that. Because if she had it then how did he return home with the van? We know the younger generation aren’t using paper maps. I doubt he knew the route by heart. Now if his phone had been turned off b/c of a service/bill issue (which I personally suspect as his reason for saying he had no phone) he of course could have paid the bill at any point to resume service. But when was that? What phone did he take with him to the airport to show his flight information? Did she text her mom in the time he was in FL for the storage thing? If so then we can probably assume service on his own phone resumed. If they both had use of their own phones again then it would’ve been much easier for them to be ok with leaving one another as opposed to before when that one phone was keeping them physically tied together. Hopefully this makes sense. Mostly thinking out loud…

In the footage you hear the officer say there was erratic driving prior to GP allegedly yanking the wheel. The officer later says he believed he had BL attention well before the car was yanked to a stop. GP claimed the action was to make him pull over. Later BL apologise for not stopping for some time.
Um hmmm. She wanted help and to get away from him. IMO

Have not been following, sorry just have to ask … has his lawyer made any exonerating statements ?
All I saw was a bunch of ‘he’s advised not to talk’ but not even a ‘he’s concerned for her welfare too’ ? Is this lawyer planning to plead guilty or something… imo just odd, wondering what I’m missing

i am fascinated by this thread. We have GP ON VIDEO claiming she was the aggressor. We have her ON VIDEO saying she has extreme anxiety and OCD that makes her ‘mean’ and in bad moods and causes her to treat BL badly. We have her on video claiming ALL of this. If BL was on video saying these things people would be losing their minds and calling him a killer (which they already are) If he didn’t support her blogging that’s crappy and I hate it made her feel badly but it doesn’t make him a murderer. She just started blogging very recently and not everybody wants every second of their life documented. If she made the decision to blog on her own and he didn’t like the idea, why does that make him a bad person? Genuinely curious.

GP has admitted she was in a poor mental state and doesn’t act all that great when she’s having a bad day. To claim all her feelings are rational just so she doesn’t fall into a trope is curious as she is the one literally saying all of these things herself. She’s saying these things herself. If they are fighting and he’s asking for space because he’s getting physically assaulted - which they both admit and he has scratches and marks to back it up - what is wrong with wanting to keep yourself safe?

If GP locked herself in a van to get away from BL slapping her, would you all react the same way? Of course it’s within the context of her missing, but this altercation between them changes this all for me. If roles were reversed I don’t think many people would be giving BL empathy and compassion. I’m not saying he deserves it, I’m just fascinated that domestic violence isn’t seen the same way when it’s a women doing it.

BL is the worst if he did leave her - which it looks like he did. But we don’t know if he left her with people or not. But why isn’t it plausible she had another really bad day (she was physically assaulting him and even grabbed the wheel of a moving vehicle causing them to hit a curb, that’s so dangerous) and decided to take off? She was curating this perfect online persona and embarrassment could really, really affect somebody who has anxiety and OCD and other issues.

i say this as a woman who suffers from extreme anxiety. It can be hard for others to handle when I’m in a manic state and can’t talk myself down. My partner has to often physically distance himself from, sometimes for days. When my partner and I almost broke up I seriously started planning just taking off. I hadn’t been working and relied on them for a lot and the embarrassment of my life not working out was crippling. I live out west and I thought a lot about how easy it would be for me to find travel groups and just go. She claims she doesn’t drive the van, etc, which leaves me to believe there was a lot of anxiety and co-dependency at play. Her panic at being on her own could have easily taken over and caused her to take off with others, including unsavory people.

I can’t get around how weird it is he isn’t speaking at all, but that’s his legal right even if we don’t understand the moral side of it. leaving her alone is also really awful and he should be ashamed of himself - and if something happened to her he should be held accountable if he can be - but how do we know she hasn’t hit him before? He was too calm about it and it makes me feel this wasn’t their first physical fight. Would you blame a women for taking off and leaving somebody who physically assaults them behind?

I’m playing devil’s advocate here, obviously. My heart breaks for GP being 22 and already struggling with her mental health so much. I was there and it’s so incredibly difficult. I really, really hope she’s ok and I can’t imagine what her family is going through knowing nothing at all.

We shouldn’t assume anything about what mental illness(es) either Gabby or Brian may have. As for her saying she has OCD and anxiety, I wouldn’t be surprised if BL ‘diagnosed’ her with that because her cleanliness definitely bothered him (which he himself says in the body cam footage) and gaslit her into thinking shes “crazy” (which he also jokingly says to an officer). Being trapped in a van for months with someone who regularly accuses you of things and blames their problems on you could understandably alter ones perception of themselves.

Bottom line: unless/until we have evidence of either BL or GP having a diagnosed mental illness, I don’t think it’s fair to attribute their behavior to anything other than emotions/tensions running high.

If they charged him with Grand Theft, Auto, wouldn't he be required to prove he owned the van or had her permission, at the last time they were together, to leave with it and drive 2200 miles away from her last know location?
Its.registered.to.his home.address!
The van was at that address
Is the insurance in both their names?
His DL has same address?

Does anyone have a timeline interspersed with the disappearance and subsequent discovery of the bodies of the newlyweds. And there was some mention somewhere that the diner that GB and BL were at all afternoon was where one of the newlyweds worked. They also say the newlyweds were camping. So there's a ton of questions.

- did GB/BL camp at the same site as the newlyweds? If so, what are the dates
- How often did GB/BL go to the diner where one of KS/CB (newlyweds) worked?
- When did GB/BL stay at the diner all afternoon? Was it the same diner?
- When were KS/CB killed?
- Where were KS/CB bodies discovered?
- KS/CB were shot. Have they found the murder weapon? Did GB/BL have a gun?
- How does the timeline of KS/CB's demise line up with the GB/BL traffic stop, the GB/BL and the argument that the guy Christopher report?

22 minutes into body cam the officers go into a lengthy discussion about Gabby being the aggressor. Yet unless I missed it, they have yet to look at the vehicle registration to see that it was registered in her name which *should* have then prompted further questioning leading them to learn that he was threatening to leave with her property. This seems a big mistake. A routine step would be to check and run that Reg. They ran their names but not the vehicle?

Police share body camera footage of Gabby Petito - follow updates live
This link is pretty good at keeping up with the latest updates IMO

Witness came forward because he ‘feared the worst’
The name of the witness who saw the incident between Gabby Petito and Brian Laundrie is noted in the police report only as Christopher.

His name appears in one of the last paragraphs of the four-page report.

The report said he “was not entirely sure what it is he had seen, but feared the worse, which is why he came forward as a witness and agreed to complete a written statement.”

IG users notice something amiss with Petito’s posts
Gabby Petito, who has been missing since earlier this month, last posted a photo on her Instagram account on 26 August.

The post shows her in front of a butterfly mural with a small knitted pumpkin with the caption “happy halloween”.

Her previous post, on 19 August, showed the view of a park from inside her van.

Unlike her usual posts, these two did not have a location tag.

Some Instagram users pointed out that this was not her usual style.

What a police officer asks about your phone and you tell him you don’t have one it doesn’t matter one bit if it’s charged or not.
If he meant to communicate that his phone wasn’t charged it would be very simple to say my phone is dead.
He clearly said that he didn’t even have a phone and that was a lie. MOO
Bazinga!

Based on the interactions GP had with the police, it’s clear to me she was very afraid of being left behind/abandoned so far from home. Therefore, the idea that she just decided she could not take it anymore and walked off in to obscurity in the middle of a national forest is absurd.

Is it possible she decided to leave him? Certainly. But there’s no way she did it in the middle of Grand Teton or Yellowstone.

IMO.

Last edited:
I still would like to know what started the argument over the phone, and which phone they were arguing about.
I don't think it was an argument over a phone. After viewing the video and comparing it to the incident report, I find variances.

I believe GP struck BL in the face with her phone when they were seen on the street arguing (and BL directing her to go for a walk). She was afraid he would leave alone in the van and she refused. I'm also not sure that the witness account as written in the incident report is accurate.

I'm glad the video was released. MOO

Last edited:
What a police officer asks about your phone and you tell him you don’t have one it doesn’t matter one bit if it’s charged or not.
If he meant to communicate that his phone wasn’t charged it would be very simple to say my phone is dead.
He clearly said that he didn’t even have a phone and that was a lie. MOO
Bazinga!
They did separate them but this occurred nearly two weeks before she was last seen. They couldn't separate them indefinitely.
True. I just wish they had gone their separate ways then instead of continuing on their journey.

Ultimately Gabby was an adult. If Brian left her somewhere because he couldn't cope with everything anymore or he missed his mum or for whatever reason, he legally had the right to do that.

He has no legal right to take her van.
Not the day of the domestic dispute and not driving it back to FL. IMO

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads