Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #46

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Real life has been busy so I haven't been able to keep up. Do we know the last time LE says Brian is actually seen in person? tysm

He was a friend or acquaintance, right? They could have paid him $1 as a retainer, and now anything discussed between them would be confidential and privileged communication. They need Someone to talk to and get advice from, right? They could tell him what they DID know, and he could advise them for the time being about how to proceed in order to not make things worse until they knew what the next step was going to be. Depending on how this plays out - I'm sure they may/will need someone with criminal expertise. They may not have known the extent of this whole thing when they originally contacted him. Kids lie to their parents.

Don't even need to pay a token retainer. :). Lawyers work pro bono all the time. Money not required to establish a client relationship.

Personally, I'd have limited my representation from the jump to the minimum and spent my time finding referrals to strong criminal practitioners and appropriate local counsel. Co-counsel at the very, very least.

Does the sister live at the parent's house? I read somewhere that she lives in the family home, but wasn't sure if I could post it. If she does, wouldn't she know more than she is letting on? And if she does, where is she now and her little sons?
I do not believe she lives in the parents house. I recall LE visiting her home after they visited the parent’s home.

Former FBI official Bryanna Fox on Friday weighed in on an object that FBI agents took from the North Port, Florida, home of Chris and Roberta Laundrie, the parents of fugitive Brian Laundrie.

“I have been on many FBI search warrants, and can’t recall ever using a small plastic container like that," Fox, who is also an associate professor in the Department of Criminology at the University of South Florida, told Fox News Digital. "I can say that it would not be to hold fibers, hairs, etc. Those types of evidence go in much smaller dry paper envelopes."

She added that "blood is typically collected via swabs that are put into specific packaging" and "would not go in a container" captured on one reporter's camera.
Brian Laundrie manhunt: Former FBI official on new evidence taken from home

My abused son used.to.do the same! Take keys! Get in the car!
He was safe there! Till she.calmed.down! Till the next time!
I see nothing wrong with this!

I am sorry your son experienced abuse. When he would go to the car, was his partner allowed to remain in the house? That is what I see differently with Gabby and BL’s living situation. By locking her out of the van, he was essentially locking her out of their shared home (a van owned by Gabby.) Without water, shelter from the sun, possibly without her phone and basic necessities. In fear of BL being able to drive away and leave her at the side of the road. I cannot imagine she would be able to calm down in that scenario.

Here's the thing. I have clients who truly do not seem to know the difference between the truth and a lie. I largely ignore what they tell me and look at the data, written communications, and anything else objective we can find to piece together the story and then try to get that client's "side" of it to see what really happened.

I make it my duty to make sure those clients never speak to the press. Never release "just one statement to get MY SIDE of the story out." Because I, as their trusted advisor, know that story is likely full of exaggerations or lies that would not take that long to pull apart. If my client released some statement against the advice of counsel, the last thing I would do is release my own statement to "correct" it because then you are TELLING the world that your client is a liar.

So constantly texting the media with bits of information that objectively contradict with other public information (like when the Mustang was picked up, if Cassie saw BL) is really bordering on malpractice. I have never seen anything like it either in my own practice or in following other cases.
Is it conceivable that this is all a tactic to later claim ineffective assistance of counsel?

I can almost see the cloud of smug surrounding him. :rolleyes:
Oh man, what if she didn't lie. What if he took off shortly after arriving and before she got there?

All kinds of possibilities, but yes I think a completely dysfunctional family relationship is more than just possible. Siblings can be your only ally, or they can be completely antagonistic to each other. Especially those of the opposite sex and if one sibling is with the parents full time. A lot of dynamics here it was likely contentious well before this. Again all those 911 calls...

BL was likely admonished by the lawyer not to talk about what happened regarding Gabby, even to family members. His sister may have meant that she wasn't able to talk to him about all this stuff regarding Gabby but she wish she could have. That would make a lot of sense and it could explain her statements in the most charitable light. But it does demonstrate why the parents would have been advised to say nothing.
So, now the lawyer is representing the parents, the sister AND Brian. Doing the talking for all four of them. I'm no lawyer, but isn't this thing wandering into the world of conflict of interest?
MOO

ITA. I also think her begging to not be separated showed a lot of fear. Fear of his reaction but DV victims also have very low self-esteem due to the abuse and therefore she would be afraid to be alone thinking she can't handle things without him. JMO

Abuse victims also fear what will happen the next time the abuser catches up with them. Because the abuser is now more angry than ever and will make his victim pay.

I will just say that the calm person is generally the one adept at pushing buttons to elicit an emotional reaction. They will say something vile or hurtful followed by a request for the victim to calm down. When they say they want space it’s not to calm emotions it’s to create more anxiety and fear. They say something like I’m not sure I want to do this anymore etc…. Before walking away. It’s just more seemingly reasonable emotional manipulation.
Great observation Mito. I do believe this is true in cases of gaslighting and emotional abuse. The problem is it is a subtle dynamic. I believe there may be cases where one person is having an emotional outburst and the “calmer” person does not have an agenda. Unfortunately, LE is not especially trained at detecting these sorts of subtle interactions.

ETA I think the Moab police did the best they could with what they had to work with. It can take many years of training in psychological interactions before one develops the ability to pick up on these subtle cues.

Last edited:
If we go strictly off of what the attorney said, BL went camping with his parents the 6th through the 8th, he went and came home with them, and his sister also went for a day, there is no way she didn’t see or speak to BL. Somebody is lying.

Probably but the possibility is it's a big park he could have wandered around for the day, I could see where his relationship with his sister could have been very contentious, even before all of this.

Does anyone have that pic that someone took and people thought it was BL, GP and his sister by the waters edge? thanks

Agreed. Even if they were living rent/utilites free, the van and conversion and equipment was probably at least $20K. A google search tells me the average pay at Taco Bell in Florida is $9/hour and the cost of "van life" traveling out West is $2,500 - $3,000 per month for two people. And they had nice drones for capturing video footage and technology for the documentation of the trip. Even in the Police stop, Brian indicated he didn't have money for a hotel room that night.

I'm just saying that it's very likely that the parents were heavily involved in financing this adventure, and tells me that they must not have been worried for her life based on their observation of their current relationship.

I wonder if either one of them--or both of them--could have been receiving the enhanced covid unemployment. Wasn't it an extra $600 per month? That would have come in handy.

NEW: “To my knowledge Cassie went for a day.”
Laundrie family attorney says Brian’s sister Cassie was at the campground last month – despite Cassie saying in an earlier interview she hasn’t spoken to Brian since he returned to Florida.
https://twitter.com/brianentin/status/1443965282553368587?s=21

Gabby Petito case: Laundrie’s sister was at the campground with rest of the family, attorney says | NewsNation Now

Well We’ll Well…isn’t that interesting.

Another lie to add to the pile.

Quite the family.

MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics