Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #58

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
MOO

I imagine the situation went something like this...Brian turns up at home on September 1 without Gabby. He says, we broke up, it was bad, I don't want to talk about it. If she or her parents call, don't answer. I don't want to get into it. Another episode in their on/off relationship.

MOO

Bolded and snipped to get to this...and my answer isn't directed at you but at this concept in general....

The notion that the Laundrie parents shouldn't speak to the Petito family because Brian didn't want them to is just...so much hogwash. The Laundries, Brian and Gabby were housemates, perhaps Gabby was even their tenant. They were free to speak to Gabby and/or her family whenever they wanted to do that -- Gabby's joint and personal property was in/at their home.

If Brian didn't want people speaking to Gabby or her family about the disposition of her personal or joint possessions (nevermind about her decisions and her whereabouts) then HE should have been dropping dimes on the Petito family. (Disclaimer: I'm saying this without knowing what Brian actually said/did/asked.)

Isn't anyone in this story a grown adult???

I find it interesting that the two times (that we know of) that CaL sees BL after his return home without GP occur AWAY from the Laundrie home - first at CaL’s home on Sept 1 and then at Fort DeSoto campground on Sept 6.

Was that so CaL would not be made aware BL returned WITH GP’s van?
I struggle to believe that CaL knew what happened to Gabby while they were on the camping trip. I think they all met on 9/1, while the kids were at school, to provide a story as to why Gabby wasn't with BL when he returned with the van. On 9/6, the Laundries didn't discuss Gabby in front of the kids and the kids may not have asked because CaL said she saw BL when he returned alone on his 8/17 trip to empty the storage locker. The kids may have assumed that BL was still home from that trip. His return to Florida was only 7 days after he flew back to Utah.

CaL interview is a lot of half truths but enough truth to make her ticked off at her family for not telling her everything on 9/1. She allowed BL to be around her kids during the camping trip.... not something I think a mother would do if she would have known Gabby was deceased.

All MOO.

Giggles in the morning. Love it. Can you imagine him a fugitive on the run in 27 years? Here’s one who did:

He can't remember when they got to Georgia, only that the weather was turning cold and he had big blisters on his feet. The car ran out of gas somewhere in North Carolina, so they'd sold it, bought camping gear and set out on foot, taking the Appalachian Trail for a while, then sticking to the highway, where people occasionally offered rides.

In Murray County, Ga., they got permission to camp at the Saddle Club, a place that hosted equestrian events.

They became Eric and Diane Coleman. He missed his parents. She missed her mother. Each had a sister. They dared not contact them for fear of being caught. At Thanksgivings, Christmases and birthdays, the mood fell. They wondered if their families were well - or even alive.
……………………………………………………………………………………
Every day for 27 years, he got up and told himself he could get through one more. Richard Boucher knew the sham could be over at any time.

Police once stopped him as he walked along the highway with the bookbag he always carried. They figured he was a transient. He explained he lived just up the road. That was always the end of it.

He never slept well. Noises made his heart pound.

When the police came for him at the trailer on Hooker Road, appearing in the woods with guns drawn, he thought they were looking for someone else. Then they used his real name. That one he hadn't heard in so long.

He wondered, in his soft, polite manner of speaking, how much longer he could have done it?
……………………………………………………………………………………
Richard Boucher called his dad from jail.

His mother, he learned, died five years ago. He regrets that she never knew what had become of her son; that so many people expected the worst for so many years.

He still doesn't sleep well.

"There are too many things," he said. "I couldn't list them all. I'll never get that back."
Fugitive says life on run was full of loneliness, loss and lies
That was very interesting read. It can go the other way though. My husband was a business partner for a man who was on the FBIs top 50 wanted list. He lived in the business basement at first. As the business grew successful, he became a multi millionaire. He had his secretary and her husband buy a mansion and all the things he couldn't put his name on. In return they got to live in the house with him and received lots of perks. We took extravagant trips to Vegas in a private plane and once flew to California just to pick up a cat . His still visited his family on the sly. Nobody had a clue though many things did puzzle us.

He died in his sleep. His true identity was then discovered. And then years of court battles.

But he had a good life and never paid for his crimes.

Attachments

• BAFCA85C-C158-48EC-A946-5752165FC24B.jpeg
    BAFCA85C-C158-48EC-A946-5752165FC24B.jpeg
    97.6 KB · Views: 18
Ever take a taxi? As soon as you make the deal, the meter starts running and your wallet gets lighter by the second. That's what's happening to anyone acting as BL's benefactor. The investment with no return. The giant sucking sound of cash going out and not coming back in. And its a lifetime investment...if everything continues to go horribly right for Brian and horribly wrong for the Petitos.
MOO

Bolded and snipped to get to this...and my answer isn't directed at you but at this concept in general....

The notion that the Laundrie parents shouldn't speak to the Petito family because Brian didn't want them to is just...so much hogwash. The Laundries, Brian and Gabby were housemates, perhaps Gabby was even their tenant. They were free to speak to Gabby and/or her family whenever they wanted to do that -- Gabby's joint and personal property was in/at their home.

If Brian didn't want people speaking to Gabby or her family about the disposition of her personal or joint possessions (nevermind about her decisions and her whereabouts) then HE should have been dropping dimes on the Petito family. (Disclaimer: I'm saying this without knowing what Brian actually said/did/asked.)

Isn't anyone in this story a grown adult???

I would say we have no idea how these people historically communicated with each other. Did they often speak to each other or not? Did they like each other or not? Maybe the Ps like to talk on the phone a lot and the Ls don't. Maybe there is a history of drama filled phone conversations in the history of their childrens's drama filled relationship and they wanted to avoid another Maybe the Ls are cold hearted jerks. We have no idea. MOO

D
I struggle to believe that CaL knew what happened to Gabby while they were on the camping trip. I think they all met on 9/1, while the kids were at school, to provide a story as to why Gabby wasn't with BL when he returned with the van. On 9/6, the Laundries didn't discuss Gabby in front of the kids and the kids may not have asked because CaL said she saw BL when he returned alone on his 8/17 trip to empty the storage locker. The kids may have assumed that BL was still home from that trip. His return to Florida was only 7 days after he flew back to Utah.

CaL interview is a lot of half truths but enough truth to make her ticked off at her family for not telling her everything on 9/1. She allowed BL to be around her kids during the camping trip.... not something I think a mother would do if she would have known Gabby was deceased.

All MOO.

This story is just so mind-boggling. Because from your last paragraph, I go immediately to "What kind of grandparents would be told by their son that he'd just murdered his girlfriend but then allow him to buddy up to their grandchildren at a family get-together?" (And from there I immediately start to wonder why, if he had confessed, they weren't in fear for their own lives. Maybe they were, and that explains why they don't seem to have any emotion about him being missing.)

There are so many reasons they must have known what happened and so many reasons they behaved in a way that indicates they couldn't possibly have known. How is that even possible?

He also could have simply been doing a walk about. A lot of campers do. I always do. I take my dogs with me when i do mine. But I love spending a day in the wilderness. My family do not.
Yes, but in the story from the 1st woman who picked him up he claimed he had been hiking and camping alone along the snake river for days with just a bag and tarp.

I googled just 'dead body Blue Ridge Parkway' and overall it seems to be a somewhat frequent place for this sort of thing. Hate to start the day off morbid. JMO.

It isn’t unusual and luckily not everyone dies. Not everyone intentionally falls but jumpers aren’t terribly unusual. The rescue crews in western North Carolina are well trained, help each other, and stay busy. They risk their lives for people who sometimes make stupid choices. A rescue squad member in my area recently died trying to save someone who entered a dangerous waterfall. People often pay no attention to warning signs.

Most often it is tourists who do not understand the danger, but in the area where the body was found yesterday you have to consider there’s a university nearby with a reputation of being a bit of a party school. Of course not all of the deaths are associated with partying or even carelessness. There have been many over the years who disappeared on purpose, some were depressed. Like everyplace else, there are tons of reasons deaths happen (even an occasional murder) but it isn’t uncommon.

jmo

edited a few words for clarity

Last edited:
Yes, but in the story from the 1st woman who picked him up he claimed he had been hiking and camping alone along the snake river for days with just a bag and tarp.
He was last seen with Gabby on the 27th and picked up hitchhiking on the 29th. So I wouldn't call that days.

It's a grim conclusion I've come to, there, but it would be a matter of suspending my critical facilities to believe that not only mum and dad, but sister also 'missed' calls.

It is well within the range of rational to claim that the Petito's didn't ring just once. They would have tried and redialled and tried again and again and again, and each unanswered call underlines the deliberateness of it. One could believe one missed call. Not hundreds. To various numbers.

These were frantic people ringing. People for whom the very worst that could happen to anyone appeared to be happening. .. they left messages. ......

As to what kind of people are they, I just don't have the words. Horrible doesn't cut it, for me.

IIRC, in a post up thread, the Petito family clarified that they did not call CaL as that was a number they did not have or something like that.

Edited for spelling

Last edited:
I would say we have no idea how these people historically communicated with each other. Did they often speak to each other or not? Did they like each other or not? Maybe the Ps like to talk on the phone a lot and the Ls don't. Maybe there is a history of drama filled phone conversations in the history of their childrens's drama filled relationship and they wanted to avoid another Maybe the Ls are cold hearted jerks. We have no idea. MOO

Totally possible they didn't like one another, didn't communicate much at all -- really, that's probably true. But somehow I still don't really care because sometimes adults have to do things they don't enjoy. Like speaking to their son's ex (or in this case, the parents of their son's vanished ex.) I don't know, I'm just over this idea that keeps being floated that they were told not to speak to the Petito's...so they didn't. Maybe it happened that way, maybe it didn't. And maybe I'm just not onboard with the idea of people telling me who I can/can't speak to. :)

Totally possible they didn't like one another, didn't communicate much at all -- really, that's probably true. But somehow I still don't really care because sometimes adults have to do things they don't enjoy. Like speaking to their son's ex (or in this case, the parents of their son's vanished ex.) I don't know, I'm just over this idea that keeps being floated that they were told not to speak to the Petito's...so they didn't. Maybe it happened that way, maybe it didn't. And maybe I'm just not onboard with the idea of people telling me who I can/can't speak to. :)
Maybe they trusted Brian. It's not about obeying an request as much as it's trusting his judgment. Just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cliff77