Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #58

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
SBM.
I’m just wondering why this would be if she were left in the open for nearly 3 weeks? You’d think at night wildlife would have discovered a body in the open.

LE often make statements to keep things calm, especially for victim’s loved ones. It is significant that what they found are called “remains” rather than “body”.

Thank you!

That's taking silence to the extreme! Just bizarre not to report your own son missing.

IIRC I do remember SB was on speakerphone the whole time the FBI were at the Laundries'. Also, IIRC that SB told FBI they would not answer any questions pertaining to Gabby.
You're welcome!
Indeed, I'm not sure I've ever seen someone reported missing by their lawyer instead of a loved one before. It adds another layer of strangeness to this case.

Does anyone clearly know the day they left Moab and what they did between Moab and BL’S flight from SLC? SLC airport is <4 hours from Moab but there’s a 4 day gap between 8/13 to 8/17. Where did they stay nights of 13,14,15,16?

This is the part I am very curious about and so far I don't think we know what happened during this time.

Wellness checks are not always welcome. I didn't hear from my brother for a while. Nothing from the family. Nobody answering calls. I arranged for a wellness check. Turns out he had a serious medical emergency...and nobody cared enough to call me. Result: my SIL called to scream at me...and my brother no longer speaks to me. So, you never know there's dysfunction until a kind, common sense concern blows up in your face.
I imagine the Petitos were frightened, worried to death, confounded, and furious when their desperation was met with stony silence. NEVER pass up an opportunity to arrange for a wellness check. MOO

"If you talk to a lot of people who have experience in law enforcement— the guy goes for a walk in the Carlton Reserve, he's not wanted for a crime, I mean – what are we supposed to do? Go tree to tree? Tree to tree, following him back through the woods? It just wasn't there with the information we had in this case,” says Public Information Officer Josh Taylor.

Police also confirmed they do not have the cell phones Laundrie or Petito used during their cross country trip.

Florida police: Brian Laundrie was under surveillance before disappearing

If the Laundries didn't ask their son for details about why he came home in Gabby's van without her ~ this is not good.
If the Laundries believed some cockamamie story from BL as to why they should ghost Gabby's family ~ this is not good.
If the Laundries did know or suspect that BL held some responsibility for Gabby's disappearance and still ghosted her family ~ this is not good.
If the Laundries were concerned enough about what they DID know and contacted their attorney and still ghosted Gabby's family's request for info ~ this is not only not good ~ It's heartless.
Do we know when Gabby's family first started trying to communicate with the Laundries? How much earlier, then, could a search for a missing person have begun? How much more evidence could have been gathered? How many less days would her family have wondered what had happened? How less likely would it have been that BL would have had an opportunity to run and hide? How much money and manpower could have been saved?
I can't find anything good or admirable that the Laundrie family has done. Their motivation for all of their decisions and actions are, in my opinion, very self serving.
Between the principles of karma and 'do unto others,' the Laundrie family has shaped their own consequences. MOOing!

Also you are not allowed to bring any ammo of any kind, that must be purchased at your destination. If Brian brought a gun back he would have to buy the ammo in Utah.
This is not so. I always travel with my .380 and ammunition. Here's the rules:

Ammunition
  • Ammunition is prohibited in carry-on baggage, but may be transported in checked baggage.
  • Firearm magazines and ammunition clips, whether loaded or empty, must be securely boxed or included within a hard-sided case containing an unloaded firearm. Read the requirements governing the transport of ammunition in checked baggage as defined by 49 CFR 175.10 (a)(8).
  • Small arms ammunition (up to .75 caliber and shotgun shells of any gauge) must be packaged in a fiber (such as cardboard), wood, plastic, or metal box specifically designed to carry ammunition and declared to your airline.
  • Ammunition may be transported in the same hard-sided, locked case as a firearm if it has been packed as described above. You cannot use firearm magazines or clips for packing ammunition unless they completely enclose the ammunition. Firearm magazines and ammunition clips, whether loaded or empty, must be boxed or included within a hard-sided, locked case.
  • Please check with your airline for quantity limits for ammunition.

Transporting Firearms and Ammunition | Transportation Security Administration

Also you are not allowed to bring any ammo of any kind, that must be purchased at your destination. If Brian brought a gun back he would have to buy the ammo in Utah.

Different airlines have different policies regarding the quantity of ammunition allowed, but every time I've flown with a firearm (ranging from handguns to shotguns to rifles) I have taken my own ammunition with me.

Edit: Looks like CharlestonGal and I are on the same page wrt this topic.

Gabby Petito: Timeline of everything we know about the Florida woman's disappearance and her boyfriend Brian Laundrie - ABC11 Raleigh-Durham

September 17: Laundrie family reports Brian missing

Police said Laundrie's attorney contacted authorities Friday because the family wanted to discuss his disappearance.

This might be where some confusion is coming in :
It says in the paragraph title that the family reported him missing, but in the second paragraph after the title it says the family lawyer contacted authorities in order to discuss Brian's disappearance ?
Almost as if to say; "Yes, he's not there. He went for a hike in the nature preserve and didn't return."
But not as in : "He's missing and lost, or someone took him " ?

I was under the impression that maybe the Laundrie parents think he fled ?
But my question right now is ; if they tried to call or text Brian and if so, has he contacted them at all, or maybe through the lawyer ?

IF it's through the lawyer-- there may be lawyer/client privilege and the lawyer wouldn't be compelled to let LE know that he's been in touch with BL ?
If there an atty. here who can clarify that would be great.

Brian Laundrie's Parents Waited Longer To Report Him Missing Than Previously Thought | HuffPost Latest News
An attorney for Brian Laundrie, who remains missing as authorities investigate the slaying of his fiancée, Gabby Petito, revealed Tuesday that his parents last saw him longer ago than they previously reported.
This is not the first time Laundrie’s lawyer has corrected information about his behavior and interactions in the days after Petito was reported missing. Last week, Bertolino said his sister, Cassie Laundrie, had actually
seen him twice in that time period. That surprised many, as his sister previously said in a “Good Morning America” interview before he was reported missing: “I haven’t been able to talk to him. I wish I could talk to him,”

Curious about how the relationship between the Laundrie's and the family lawyer is now ?

Everything good or will the parents seek other counsel ?

Brian Laundrie’s parents don’t know where son is, family attorney says | WFLA
Laundrie was named a person of interest in the disappearance of Petito on Sept. 15 – one day after his parents said they last saw him, but several days before he was reported missing. A federal arrest warrant has since been issued for Laundrie in connection with his “activities” following Petito’s death.

This article says he was reported missing , but not by whom ?

Will have to say that there's a plethora of msm links about this case, some cases don't garner this much interest.

Hoping for answers soon !

Gabby Petito investigation timeline

Sept. 17: Laundrie reported missing

A family attorney for the Laundries confirmed Sept. 17 that the whereabouts of Brian Laundrie were unknown.
Re. the bolded : So, is it possible ?

Speculation only :

Did the atty. for the parents force their hand ? Tell them that either they or himself (Bertolino) would be advised to report Brian missing ?

Brian Laundrie's Parents Waited Longer To Report Him Missing Than Previously Thought
This article says both reported ?
Or that only the parents reported and the lawyer just clarified that the date the parents last saw him were off by a day ?
Honest mistake ?

I still wonder if the lawyer was supposed to say this last sighting was off, or if he did this without permission ?

As of now, I think their relationship is cordial, or why else would Bertolino continue to speak on their behalf ?

Attorney: Brian Laundrie’s parents say they actually last saw him day earlier than they told police

“To my knowledge Brian and Gabby paid for the flights as they were sharing expenses,” he said. “Brian flew home to obtain some items and empty and close the storage unit to save money as they contemplated extending the road trip.”
Emphasis mine.

The bolded was new to me.
What did Brian retrieve ?

As far as the trip, I thought they were going to meet with someone at or before the end of Oct. ?
(sorry the fonts are all wonky)

Brian Laundrie's met with his sister twice before going missing | wtsp.com
"Any prior communication by Cassie that does not reflect these dates is simply a difference of relating an answer to a question misinterpreted by Cassie or poorly posed by the inquirer," Bertolino said.
bolding mine.

Creative use of words there; by the Laundrie lawyer.

Imo it's not fair to blame to investigative reporter for misremembering that the sister did meet with Brian and not that she hadn't seen him at all after he returned without Gabby.

Also from the above link :

Laundrie has not been seen since his parents told law enforcement he went hiking at Sarasota County's Carlton Reserve on Sept. 14 and never returned.
That's not exactly reporting him missing, just that he went hiking or for a walk .

And, BL didn't return from the hike, and is no longer at the reserve as far as they know ?
Imo.

Brian Laundrie's Parents Waited Longer To Report Him Missing Than Previously Thought | HuffPost Latest NewsAccording to Laundrie's attorney, the FBI removed items from his parents' home on Friday in order to assist in the search for him.

Gabby Petito's final days: What we know - CNN
North Port police spokesperson Josh Taylor told CNN's Chris Cuomo that Laundrie's family told police he's been missing since Tuesday.
"We've been trying all week to talk to his family, to talk to Brian, and now they've called us here on Friday, we've gone to the home, and they're saying now they have not seen their son," Taylor told Cuomo. "So we are working through those details as we speak. It is another twist in this story."
Taylor told Cuomo police learned some information on the circumstances before Laundrie's disappearance but they're unable to release anything yet.
"We just want to get our ducks in a row a little bit. This has been a quickly developing situation in just the last hour for the most part. We're working through that. We want to make sure we're accurate with everything we are saying," Taylor said.
Emphasis mine

From this link, it sounds more like LE were told Brian went for the hike and hasn't returned.

Which might mean he's somewhere else, but not 'missing' as in no one knows anything ?
Or not ?

The wording is curious. The Laundry family lawyer has gone beyond the call of duty imo to defend the family; with an explanation for everything.
More like a past friendship ?

Yes, he's doing the job he was hired for, but what does he think off the record ?

MOO.

Last edited:
"If you talk to a lot of people who have experience in law enforcement— the guy goes for a walk in the Carlton Reserve, he's not wanted for a crime, I mean – what are we supposed to do? Go tree to tree? Tree to tree, following him back through the woods? It just wasn't there with the information we had in this case,” says Public Information Officer Josh Taylor.

Police also confirmed they do not have the cell phones Laundrie or Petito used during their cross country trip.

I do understand that LE must follow process to the letter of the law. I get that, and support that. However, there are ways and means to turn up the heat, and it is well overdue that they deploy those measures, in my amateur opinion.
Turn up the heat. Seemingly, there has been no particular "incentive" for BL's parents to cooperate.

All just amateur opinion and speculation from the outside looking in.

OK...anyone know the procedure for recovering cell phone data when the phones go missing? I would imagine the cell service carrier would have some of that info. Exactly how much info could be gleaned from billing records?

LE often make statements to keep things calm, especially for victim’s loved ones. It is significant that what they found are called “remains” rather than “body”.
Is it a fact that her body was left out in the open? I've read conflicting accounts. I believe OP's referenced the Dr. Phil interview in which her stepfather mentioned a makeshift grave or a similar term, but I did not watch the interview. Can anyone provide confirmation as to whether GP's body was buried, partially buried, or left in the open? Thanks!

Gabby Petito: Timeline of everything we know about the Florida woman's disappearance and her boyfriend Brian Laundrie - ABC11 Raleigh-Durham

September 17: Laundrie family reports Brian missing

Police said Laundrie's attorney contacted authorities Friday because the family wanted to discuss his disappearance.

This might be where some confusion is coming in :
It says in the paragraph title that the family reported him missing, but in the second paragraph after the title it says the family lawyer contacted authorities in order to discuss Brian's disappearance ?

Brian Laundrie's Parents Waited Longer To Report Him Missing Than Previously Thought | HuffPost Latest News
An attorney for Brian Laundrie, who remains missing as authorities investigate the slaying of his fiancée, Gabby Petito, revealed Tuesday that his parents last saw him longer ago than they previously reported.
This is not the first time Laundrie’s lawyer has corrected information about his behavior and interactions in the days after Petito was reported missing. Last week, Bertolino said his sister, Cassie Laundrie, had actually
seen him twice in that time period. That surprised many, as his sister previously said in a “Good Morning America” interview before he was reported missing: “I haven’t been able to talk to him. I wish I could talk to him,”

Curious about how the relationship between the Laundrie's and the family lawyer is now ?

Everything good or will the parents seek other counsel ?

Brian Laundrie’s parents don’t know where son is, family attorney says | WFLA
Laundrie was named a person of interest in the disappearance of Petito on Sept. 15 – one day after his parents said they last saw him, but several days before he was reported missing. A federal arrest warrant has since been issued for Laundrie in connection with his “activities” following Petito’s death.

This article says he was reported missing , but not by whom ?

Will have to say that there's a plethora of msm links about this case, some cases don't garner this much interest.

Hoping for answers soon !

Gabby Petito investigation timeline

Sept. 17: Laundrie reported missing

A family attorney for the Laundries confirmed Sept. 17 that the whereabouts of Brian Laundrie were unknown.
Re. the bolded : So, is it possible ?

Speculation only :

Did the atty. for the parents force their hand ? Tell them that either they or himself (Bertolino) would be advised to report Brian missing ?

Brian Laundrie's Parents Waited Longer To Report Him Missing Than Previously Thought
This article says both reported ?
Or that only the parents reported and the lawyer just clarified that the date the parents last saw him were off by a day ?
Honest mistake ?

I still wonder if the lawyer was supposed to say this last sighting was off, or if he did this without permission ?

As of now, I think their relationship is cordial, or why else would Bertolino continue to speak on their behalf ?

Attorney: Brian Laundrie’s parents say they actually last saw him day earlier than they told police

“To my knowledge Brian and Gabby paid for the flights as they were sharing expenses,” he said. “Brian flew home to obtain some items and empty and close the storage unit to save money as they contemplated extending the road trip.”
Emphasis mine.

The bolded was new to me.
What did Brian retrieve ?

As far as the trip, I thought they were going to meet with someone at or before the end of Oct. ?
(sorry the fonts are all wonky)

Brian Laundrie's met with his sister twice before going missing | wtsp.com
"Any prior communication by Cassie that does not reflect these dates is simply a difference of relating an answer to a question misinterpreted by Cassie or poorly posed by the inquirer," Bertolino said.
bolding mine.

Creative use of words there; by the Laundrie lawyer.

Imo it's not fair to blame to investigative reporter for misremembering that the sister did meet with Brian and not that she hadn't seen him at all after he returned without Gabby.

Also from the above link :

Laundrie has not been seen since his parents told law enforcement he went hiking at Sarasota County's Carlton Reserve on Sept. 14 and never returned.
That's not exactly reporting him missing, just that he went hiking or for a walk .

And, BL didn't return from the hike, and is no longer at the reserve as far as they know ?
Imo.

Brian Laundrie's Parents Waited Longer To Report Him Missing Than Previously Thought | HuffPost Latest NewsAccording to Laundrie's attorney, the FBI removed items from his parents' home on Friday in order to assist in the search for him.

Gabby Petito's final days: What we know - CNN
North Port police spokesperson Josh Taylor told CNN's Chris Cuomo that Laundrie's family told police he's been missing since Tuesday.
"We've been trying all week to talk to his family, to talk to Brian, and now they've called us here on Friday, we've gone to the home, and they're saying now they have not seen their son," Taylor told Cuomo. "So we are working through those details as we speak. It is another twist in this story."
Taylor told Cuomo police learned some information on the circumstances before Laundrie's disappearance but they're unable to release anything yet.
"We just want to get our ducks in a row a little bit. This has been a quickly developing situation in just the last hour for the most part. We're working through that. We want to make sure we're accurate with everything we are saying," Taylor said.
Emphasis mine

From this link, it sounds more like LE were told Brian went for the hike and hasn't returned.

Which might mean he's somewhere else, but not 'missing' as in no one knows anything ?
Or not ?

The wording is curious. The Laundry family lawyer has gone beyond the call of duty imo to defend the family; with an explanation for everything.
More like a past friendship ?

Yes, he's doing the job he was hired for, but what does he think off the record ?

MOO.

That was some mission you've been on to find all that :D. Appreciated!

....yah...and its not like somebody he was last seen with is lying in the morgue. C'mon. MOOing here.

This is not so. I always travel with my .380 and ammunition. Here's the rules:

Ammunition
  • Ammunition is prohibited in carry-on baggage, but may be transported in checked baggage.
  • Firearm magazines and ammunition clips, whether loaded or empty, must be securely boxed or included within a hard-sided case containing an unloaded firearm. Read the requirements governing the transport of ammunition in checked baggage as defined by 49 CFR 175.10 (a)(8).
  • Small arms ammunition (up to .75 caliber and shotgun shells of any gauge) must be packaged in a fiber (such as cardboard), wood, plastic, or metal box specifically designed to carry ammunition and declared to your airline.
  • Ammunition may be transported in the same hard-sided, locked case as a firearm if it has been packed as described above. You cannot use firearm magazines or clips for packing ammunition unless they completely enclose the ammunition. Firearm magazines and ammunition clips, whether loaded or empty, must be boxed or included within a hard-sided, locked case.
  • Please check with your airline for quantity limits for ammunition.

Transporting Firearms and Ammunition | Transportation Security Administration
Ok, they have never been allowed to travel with ammo, maybe it is the caliber/size IDK. They purchase it when they get to the shoot. At the end of the shoot they give away any remaining ammo to locals or those not flying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cowboy89