Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
He may have offered to go to jail for her because he didn't want her in the hands of authorities, out of his control. Maybe in his mind, he can still control her from jail, because she'd be out there alone.

When he says she gets upset and he walks away to get space, he may be trying to make himself look like a reasonable and good guy and victim of some emotional, reactive person.

IMO, the idea that she may be borderline because she exhibited a frantic fear of abandonment is extreme. He did attempt to take the van and threatened to leave her.

If she's a victim of abuse, she may be totally dependent on him, believing she's too incompetent and weak be without him.

Taking all that into consideration, I think she'd have good reason to fear being abandoned.
If she had gone to jail overnight she might have calmed down. Being in jail would be stressful but getting away from the situation might have allowed her to be more calm. And if she calmed down, LE might have seen a completely different person, and maybe had a better handle of what happened.

After watching the video, I don’t believe they were taking her seriously because she was so upset.

jmo

ETA — Having the opportunity to be more calm and hopefully allowed to tell her story would not have changed what happened later. But it might have given LE better insight into the relationship and may be revealed if DV was ongoing.

Last edited:

ETA: This tells me the cell phone was not in her Van. poor gabby.
IMO
Nicolette Perdomo
@NickiPerdomo

·
51m
#NorthPort PD tell us they still do not know where #GabbyPetito’s phone is — that is one thing they are searching for.
H0YjerzkCFMDjSDk.jpg

Vital info!
Thanks for posting.

App shows potential camping sites planned in advance for camping with the van.

Campsite planning app offers new clues in case of missing woman Gabby Petito

Gabby Petito travels from Moab to Jackson
Petito and Laundrie’s moved through northern Utah in late August, on their way to national parks of Wyoming.

On The Dyrt app, Gabby Petito had marked potential camping sites in Utah’s Skull Valley. Petito’s list in the app titled “craters to Teton” suggests she and Laundrie might have visited or planned to visit Craters of the Moon National Monument in southeastern Idaho after leaving Utah.

Items in that list show Petito and Laundrie might also have driven to Palisades Reservoir along the Snake River before entering into southwestern Wyoming en route to Grand Teton National Park. Petito had eyed potential camping spots east of the park, in locations that would afford scenic views of the park’s iconic peaks.

Petito’s last communications with family members are believed to have occurred in this vicinity. She reportedly told her family she was headed from Teton area to Yellowstone National Park shortly before she disappeared.

The Grassy Lake Road site
Gabby Petito’s list on The Dyrt for “near Yellowstone” includes a location in between Grand Teton and Yellowstone National Parks, in the John D. Rockefeller Memorial Parkway. The location sits in a meadow along Glade Creek a little over two miles southeast of Grassy Lake Reservoir.

There are many other primitive camping locations along the unpaved Grassy Lake Road, as well as spur roads leading to remote backcountry destinations in the Targhee National Forest and southwestern corner of Yellowstone National Park.

The next site to the north on Petito’s “near Yellowstone” list is a backcountry campsite, labeled 4R1, within the heart of Yellowstone National Park. Unlike many of the locations Petito had marked on the app, the 4R1 site was not a place where she and Laundrie could have camped out of their van.

Instead, Yellowstone’s 4R1 requires a short hike in from the Canyon Village area of the park. 4R1 sits on Ribbon Lake, near the south rim of the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone. An overnight stay at 4R1 would have required Gabby Petito and Brian Laundrie to obtain a permit from the National Park Service. The COLD team cannot confirm whether or not the couple obtained such a permit or hiked in to Ribbon Lake.

Petito’s lists on The Dyrt suggest she’d expected to exit Yellowstone National Park via the park’s west entrance. Her next place mark was the Targhee Creek Trailhead along U.S. Highway 20 east of Henry’s Lake State Park in Idaho.

First, why couldn’t police bring BL’s parents in to talk with. Maybe I’m wrong but I don’t think they can claim their conversations with their son are priviledged. He is an adult and they are not his priest or doctor or lawyer. They may not talk but maybe it would put some pressure on them.
Secondly, and it’s been talked about before, why can’t they arrest BL for stealing her van? They sure can’t confirm she let him borrow it since she’s missing. Again maybe just put some pressure on him.
This whole case is crazy. Where the heck is it headed? Has BL found a safe little corner in the legal universe to dwell in the rest of his life? I hope not.
This is just my opinion, but even if he "comes clean" about where/how/ in what condition he left her, his life is basically ruined because so many will see him as a moral-less coward. He will be shunned by universities, employers, etc. Anywhere a reference is needed, and all of these entities do internet searches first. The only thing I can think of as a career, assuming he gets away with it, is starting a business of his own well hidden under layers of other companies. There is a word for that which escapes me. Shell companies to hide the actual owner? I don't think he realizes the ramifications for a 24 year old...basically the rest of his life trying to hide. I'm hopeful that if he does try to get away with it, he is visited in his dreams by Gabby every night for the rest of his life. IMO.

You made me think about the fact that he (and his girlfriend) are living with his parents. This isn't uncommon these days because of the economy, but not many people do this AND take multiple, months'-long road trips. It doesn't look like he was doing the normal growing-up things of schooling or looking for a job, but instead has a really dependent relationship with his parents. I'm not getting a strong sense of responsibility here.

She has drive, and dedication, and inspiration. She makes sure to stop and work on her blog, as if it was a job.

I don't get this from him at all. I haven't read that he got extra training as a mechanic, or a carpenter, or an electrician, or an IT person to support the van upkeep and maintenance on a long open-ended haul like this. I don't see him surviving without the financial support of his parents.

Most of all, I see him valuing the van over her.

This strikes me as what he really wanted; the nomad life with HIS van. Money? well that will be supplied by a gf,or parents if necessary.

I think this venture as a business was doomed because of it.

Last edited:
Interesting point, this is why we need BL to talk. Maybe they decided to end their trip and something happened on the way back to FL.
Which have others have said is a needle in a haystack.

Side note...three days I have been continually reading these threads I cannot catch up. So fast.

Also the amount of WS who have been in abusive relationships breaks my heart. So many, me included.

Some humans are...:eek::mad:

ETA MMO
I think we all need to be careful about calling this an abusive relationship. A one hour snippet in the course of a 3 or 4 year relationship isn't enough to call this "abusive". I don't see either person as "abusive", young and immature but not abusive. I think that's what the officers saw as well, two young people who had a less than stellar moment and regardless of who the aggressor was in the situation, this was not indicative of a deeper issue where either party was at risk.

"She would never ever disappear like this without her parents knowing where she is. This is so out of character and I don't think anything that's going on is due to her own doing," said Nikki Passannante, a 23-year-old waitress living in Long Island who grew up 15 minutes away from Petito.

"I think that something more devilish is going on," she added.
Gabby Petito's childhood friend said the missing 22-year-old wouldn't have run off on her own and worries something 'devilish' happened to her

To those that are unaware of the term "Reactive Abuse", cited from the website www.breakthesilencedv.org. below.

I think all law enforcement, courts, attorneys, etc. need a complete overhaul with education and training on DV. Coercive control, emotional abuse, etc. Seems there are way too many cases lately that involve some sort of abuse and not enough education.

"Reactive abuse occurs when the victim reacts to the abuse they are experiencing. The victim may scream, toss out insults, or even lash out physically at the abuser. The abuser then retaliates by telling the victim that they are, in fact, the abuser".
This deserves to be bumped up from time to time.

It did happen. She said that she was hitting his arm while he was driving. (BL didn't mention the punching, btw.) Eventually she admitted to giving the tiniest little swipe to the steering wheel. The police noted scratches on his upper right arm. I think I saw a bruise on his bicep.

Did she mention the dirt? Can't quite remember. She claimed to have OCD. I don't know if she has an actual diagnosis or if she's using the term casually.

<modsnip> Never did she say she gave a tiny swipe to the steering wheel.

The bottom line is they were BOTH physically abusive to each other that day.

<modsnip>

There's every reason to try and figure out the overall dynamic and how they got to that point though. I, personally, don't believe a word that BL said. There were many inconsistencies in his story and his pattern of speech speaks to someone who is manipulative.
IMO as a result of that they've been stuck in a reactive abuse cycle.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is just my opinion, but even if he "comes clean" about where/how/ in what condition he left her, his life is basically ruined because so many will see him as a moral-less coward. He will be shunned by universities, employers, etc. Anywhere a reference is needed, and all of these entities do internet searches first. The only thing I can think of as a career, assuming he gets away with it, is starting a business of his own well hidden under layers of other companies. There is a word for that which escapes me. Shell companies to hide the actual owner? I don't think he realizes the ramifications for a 24 year old...basically the rest of his life trying to hide. I'm hopeful that if he does try to get away with it, he is visited in his dreams by Gabby every night for the rest of his life. IMO.
Its likely a name change could be granted.

I don’t find this strange at all. I’ve been on both sides of this. I’m also a very independent young woman who has a very good relationship with her parents. When I’m far away from them they still like to send me little gifts or do small favors for me to show their support and love. Even if I could technically afford to buy myself a pizza, it’s nice to have someone do it for you as an act of kindness. I’ve also done this for long-distance friends. Like if I hear they’re sick, I’ll postmates some soup and Gatorade to them or something. Could they do it themselves? Sure, but I want to make them happy and let them know I’m thinking of them. My boyfriend will also sometimes postmates me my favorite food when he’s out of town for army stuff, just as a little way to make my day better from afar.

To me this in no way indicates she can’t provide for herself, or doesn’t feel comfortable being independent or is confused about what she wants in any way. Plus her dad straight up says he ordered it because she was having trouble with her connection. Maybe she was trying to order it herself but couldn’t for some reason, so he did it for her.
Absolutely. I have also done this for my teenagers while I was working and they were on holiday or home-schooling due to Covid.

I think we all need to be careful about calling this an abusive relationship. A one hour snippet in the course of a 3 or 4 year relationship isn't enough to call this "abusive". I don't see either person as "abusive", young and immature but not abusive. I think that's what the officers saw as well, two young people who had a less than stellar moment and regardless of who the aggressor was in the situation, this was not indicative of a deeper issue where either party was at risk.
I think you’re right. Thanks for the gentle reminder.

Random question: how old is BL? I keep seeing everywhere that GP is 22 and BL is “older”. How much older? People keep talking about them as if they’re just kids… and that may be true for GP, but if BL is like 30 then I think we can throw the whole “he’s just a dumb kid” argument out the window here…

She has drive, and dedication, and inspiration. She makes sure to stop and work on her blog, as if it was a job.

I don't get this from him at all. I haven't read that he got extra training as a mechanic, or a carpenter, or an electrician, or an IT person to support the van upkeep and maintenance on a long open-ended haul like this. I don't see him surviving without the financial support of his parents.

Most of all, I see him valuing the van over her.

This strikes me as what he really wanted; the nomad life with HIS van. Money? well that will be supplied by a gf,or parents id necessary.

I think this venture as a business was doomed because of it.
You bring up an interesting point @Herat and one I had not considered. Does BL have his own vehicle? If not, why not? I don't know of a single Florida kid in high school who did not get a car -either by saving money from jobs or a grandparent/parent gift. Curious indeed....
JMO

Looks like several of us know this trick in the book. My ex bf *killed* his passenger by speeding & road rage. Ugly stuff.

Agreed. I would think the father would get one of his buddies to help him move all that stuff so B doesn't need to fly all the way home *RIght in the middle of a cross country trip* to act as muscle himself. It makes no sense UNLESS there was another reason. Either hiding something, or, say, he had a dentist appt. or a few other things like that, so killing several birds with one stone.
I don't think they moved anything
He went home they were fighting I do t think he was going to go back!
He did!

I think if GP were on meds her parents would publicize that: "Please tell us where she is. She needs her medication." Even if she's over 21.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
workerbma