Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #62

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Funny, I was just comparing photos of him from Utah and from the year before. He was much skinnier. Gawky. His eyes looked different, his face was more bird-like. The change is striking and very spooky. Maybe influenced by what I know of subsequent events, but he doesn't look right, and even though there's no reason to believe he was on drugs, he seemed coked up or methed up or something during the Moab stop.
BBM I'm glad you brought that up because in watching that video I had the same reaction. His mannerisms were off, he was fidgety and his eyes appeared glassy. When LE asked him if he was on something it wasn't a surprise.

We can hope if he did that the driver(s) have told FBI and not blasted it all over sm. ! jmo
He could have washed in the little stream beside her and beside the van.
He had to have had another reason to travel.
I'm hoping there are several other witness who have come forward.
But this information has not led to his capture.

Funny, I was just comparing photos of him from Utah and from the year before. He was much skinnier. Gawky. His eyes looked different, his face was more bird-like. The change is striking and very spooky. Maybe influenced by what I know of subsequent events, but he doesn't look right, and even though there's no reason to believe he was on drugs, he seemed coked up or methed up or something during the Moab stop.
BBM I recognized that behavior. IMO it was the same high sales people get when they're closing a really difficult, big deal. I think he was enjoying his theatrics and the fact that he was winning his audience. MOO (edited to add: like mania)

Someone could find the statute, but BL also has the right to participate in his own defense I believe. I think you need mitigating circumstances to try in absentia but I could def be wrong. JMO.
I would think running and staying hidden mitigate IMO.

edited to add, apparently the 6th amendment / right to face accuser is the sticking point for absentia

I posted a hiking route yesterday or the day before that could have gotten him there entirely on foot. 17 miles, 300-400 feet of elevation gain (in other words not much). Just a short section of road, otherwise an old wagon route. Someone fit like him could do it in about 6 hours. The route goes right from the end of the road into Colter Bay Village.
Interesting there’s an old wagon trail. I haven’t been able to read every post, so missed yours.
I really don’t think he was very fit in a hikey kind of sense. He’s a wannabe. I can’t remember what time he got his hitchhike ride.
I’m thinking he might have hiked through the night. This would make his BS that he was overnighting on a trail and he had a tarp at least partially true.

Yes. I don’t think it was drugs but just he had no conscience. BL was no longer himself. Just demons working. I have not watched the video because he is so hideous but I have seen one second of it - the part when the body camera shows the drivers side window just as BL appears in the frame. It is 100% sinister and creepy. Watch it you will see how unnatural it is.

I do think he used to be more normal at one point but he always had strange tendencies.

Last edited:
Interesting there’s an old wagon trail. I haven’t been able to read every post, so missed yours.
I really don’t think he was very fit in a hikey kind of sense. He’s a wannabe. I can’t remember what time he got his hitchhike ride.
I’m thinking he might have hiked through the night. This would make his BS that he was overnighting on a trail and he had a tarp at least partially true.
Any thoughts on why he had the tarp? To sleep on?

Exactly. If it hadn’t been for the couple who remembered filming the van at that date and location, Gabby might have remained undiscovered for months or longer. BL may have been counting on this, and planning to insist that she took off with a new guy for parts unknown.

When all of this changed and Gabby was discovered, he may have become suicidal— for good reason.
Or homicidal!
How does he vent these days?
I don't see him making the transition from externalising his rage to internalising it.
Probably sees himself as a romantic hero killing the one who loved him best, for art or politics or notoriety..

Not to mention:

no conscience = no guilt and
no guilt = no suicide.

SBM
I agree that he likely didn't kill himself but I do think there's a mental component. I think he was in shock & in reaction &/or denial mode when he goes back to parent's house. Things are "normal" & he's telling himself maybe this will all just go away. Then when media & LEO starts to get real he freaks out. He can't deal w/the reality of being locked up. If he did off himself, I think that's prob how it went down. And he would be just the coward to not give her family closure and kill himself somewhere (gator ridden swamp) where he wouldn't be likely to be found.

For those of you who believe BL committed suicide.
He had 2300 miles between the crime scene and North Port where he could have pulled off the road and done himself in.
He stole her life, her credit cards, her money, her van, returned home, mowed the lawn, took walks, worked in the garage with his father, went on a camping trip, participated in a smoresfest, then disappeared into hiding.
The Petitos were awash in tears waiting for their daughter to be found. BL's dad was seen grinning it up with an FBI agent during a faux hunt.
Nah. Brian's holed up in a safe house with all the granola bars he can ingest watching all the firestorm he's created on a big screen.
...and nobody around to tell him to wash up.
MOOing.
My thoughts exactly!

I agree that he likely didn't kill himself but I do think there's a mental component. I think he was in shock & in reaction &/or denial mode when he goes back to parent's house. Things are "normal" & he's telling himself maybe this will all just go away. Then when media & LEO starts to get real he freaks out. He can't deal w/the reality of being locked up. If he did off himself, I think that's prob how it went down. And he would be just the coward to not give her family closure and kill himself somewhere (gator ridden swamp) where he wouldn't be likely to be found.

I just see him as a legion of demons living in a human frame. So they are not to likely to make him off himself. As long as he has someone (a human) supporting him he will be alive.

I have wondered when he left on his hike too,. It makes sense to wait til sunrise, but I would think he would want to get out of the area immediately. Either way, he had time to hike to Colter Village though, so I guess maybe he did wait til dawn. When was sunset the 27th? he may have had several hours of light to hike the hell out of there! jmo
I actually meant that I thought he hiked to Colter instead of packing up and fleeing in the van right away after the murder... but you raise a good point. If the hike took even as long as eight hours, he would still get there no later than 4:00 if he left at 8:00 AM. That would have given a couple hours to shop for supplies at the general store, shower, get some cash from the ATM before flagging down the first ride at 6:09 PM.

I should clarify, all speculation. The times, the hike, everything.

And always bring some steroid cream. Folliculitis was the bane of every long trip.
He’s gonna go nutty and hypothermic if he can’t build a fire. And darkness in the backcountry is VERY dark. And it comes early. Chill sets in. And if he can’t build a fire, he has to use a stove, which requires fuel, which requires re-supply, which requires a store since otherwise you have to ship it ground, so you have to plan ahead….
IMO he’s in a cabin…

OCT 12, 2021
Forensic anthropologist roles in autopsies like Gabby Petito's (wpbf.com)
[...]

"Forensic anthropologists are called upon when the environment has ravaged or removed the soft tissue,” Walsh-Haney said. “Soft tissue markers that the forensic pathologist would use."

[...]

"This autopsy included a whole body, cat scan, an examination by forensic pathologist, an examination by a forensic anthropologist and toxicology evaluation," Blue said.

Walsh-Haney has been a consulting forensic anthropologist for eight Florida medical examiners and principal investigator for more than 500 forensic anthropology cases.

"It's through years of training that one understands the normal anatomy and can spot that type of fracture,” Walsh-Haney said.

[...]

“We would be tasked with knowing what normal skeletal anatomy is in the neck and understanding when force is applied to it and it fractures, where the force would have come from, how much force was used, what instruments may have been used,” Walsh-Haney said.

[...]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members