Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #63

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning WS Buds!
We have a worse problem than speculating about the past whys and wherefores of this case. That cud can be further chewed during trial.
We have a guy who is capable of throttling the life out of someone he claimed to love for reasons unknown to anybody but him...secreted somewhere and protected by someone.
Should his handlers lose control of him and he resurrects his all consuming desire to roam, he's out of their control, out of the general public's control, ripe and ready to shop for another convert to the cult of Brian. Someone else's daughter. Heck, if it worked once...
This guy needs to be caught - fast.
He's got a cumulative self-control problem. He's content to whack somebody when the whining and complaining annoy him. He's also fully capable of strangling someone once he's reached the end of his tether.
The cause of death gave us more insight into what's rolling around BL's fevered brain. You NEVER want your or anyone else's daughter being talked into another road trip with this guy. The internet can be a great met and greet world. It can also be a diabolical blind in which murder crouches waiting.
If LE doesn't have this mindset, they had better hop to making it the main thrust of their investigation.
MOOing.

Something has been bothering me from the beginning. I have not seen or heard anyone talk about BL or his parents. Not childhood friends, school friends, just anyone that he had any relationship with. What about the neighborhoods...nothing. . I can't find anything good or bad. I myself have never seen anything like this. If it has been discussed I missed it. What do any of you think? Weird.

Something else that society could change. How hard is it to call the police if you see something awful happening, can it really inconvenience people that much?
Why do so many people any more just say "none of my business," "Not my problem"

EDIT: MOO of course.
Some of what’s maddening in this case is that someone DID call the police when they observed Gabby and BL fighting. A citizen took the time to do that, which often doesn’t happen, police were alerted and she was still killed. I absolutely applaud the citizen who called and told 911 he was witnessing BL hit her because so many people do just ignore and we should encourage people to report without any repercussions. JMO.

Believe.me I know how it works!

So do u really think she loved this dude?
So.much the abuse was.ok?
Or had he not done it before this trip?

I really don't think you understand DV. I had the same thinking as you up until I was 22 and in that situation. It can happen to anyone. It doesn't happen all at once, it happens slowly. They're great at first and "love bomb" you. Then months down the road you can't see your friends, being with your family is suspicious, and them shoving you around is justified by "no woman ever got me this angry". Of course she loved him, and I'm sure the abuse came on slowly and before she realized it. Usually how it goes......JMO

Good Morning WS Buds!
We have a worse problem than speculating about the past whys and wherefores of this case. That cud can be further chewed during trial.
We have a guy who is capable of throttling the life out of someone he claimed to love for reasons unknown to anybody but him...secreted somewhere and protected by someone.
Should his handlers lose control of him and he resurrects his all consuming desire to roam, he's out of their control, out of the general public's control, ripe and ready to shop for another convert to the cult of Brian. Someone else's daughter. Heck, if it worked once...
This guy needs to be caught - fast.
He's got a cumulative self-control problem. He's content to whack somebody when the whining and complaining annoy him. He's also fully capable of strangling someone once he's reached the end of his tether.
The cause of death gave us more insight into what's rolling around BL's fevered brain. You NEVER want your or anyone else's daughter being talked into another road trip with this guy. The internet can be a great met and greet world. It can also be a diabolical blind in which murder crouches waiting.
If LE doesn't have this mindset, they had better hop to making it the main thrust of their investigation.
MOOing.
This is fitting. Every killer had to have their first kill, some of them never stopped until caught; if they were caught.
The thing I think should be of concern is that we DON'T know if BL liked what he was doing.
IMO

BBM
He was saying this in relation to Gabby.

Here is AC's twitter link to the interview:
https://twitter.com/AC360/status/1448079789059944451

Dr. Blue: "We believe this was strangling by a human being"

AC: "How do you determine that it's a human being?"

Dr. Blue: "Only humans have opposable thumbs."

Yes - that indicates the hyoid bone was broken. IME, one of the reasons strangulation is such a common form of DV (even if not unto death), is that the strangler wants to immediately silence the victim. The hyoid bone and its cartilage (breaking/ripping either is a sign of strangulation) are next to the voice box and the strangler grabs the neck with their thumbs just above the voicebox (larynx). Problem is, if they let go, the victim naturally starts screaming or yelling. This is not the most efficient method of strangling someone as MMA fans will point out, but the average person doesn't know how to efficiently strangle someone and there's no evidence that Brian was into MMA.

Boa constrictors are not native to Bridger-Teton NP, either. Bears do not strangle (or have opposable thumbs with which to do so). We don't know the full details of the report, but it's possible, even likely, that there was damage to the cervical vertebrae from the other fingers.

Biological anthropologists have written quite a few articles about adrenalin and hands (if people go into the "fight" mode of flight or fight, the adrenalin and the nerves in the hand and wrists are highly activated). In anger management and behavioral therapy for people who violently act out, learning to keep the hands relaxed and to step away (flight, not fight) are key ingredients. Many people in anger management classes say that their hands took on a life of their own and "just did" what they did, they don't remember any conscious decision to hit/slap their partner or their child. Therapy focuses on mindfulness, deep breathing, hand relaxation, posture relaxation, amidst various stressful stimuli. Such people are often told to avoid all triggers (if social anxiety is an issue, then either get medication to treat it, or avoid social situations as much as possible).

Some of what’s maddening in this case is that someone DID call the police when they observed Gabby and BL fighting. A citizen took the time to do that, which often doesn’t happen, police were alerted and she was still killed. I absolutely applaud the citizen who called and told 911 he was witnessing BL hit her because so many people do just ignore and we should encourage people to report without any repercussions. JMO.
After police are involved; then it deals with the police training they do or do not receive. That also needs to be much better IMO

BL is probably alive, in my opinion. I don't view him as suicidal because that would imply he might feel remorse or be unsure of his ability to outwit police. I feel he is arrogant and sure of himself, or he wouldn't have fled the way he did. The main reason he might be upset is that the police found the body. JMOO
I think that he is alive, with help of some sort. If his parents thought he was dead, they might be more willing to open up. jmo

I doubt that anyone who is not qualified would have participated in the autopsy. As well, I certainly do not feel qualified to judge this physicians qualifications. I just think second guessing his credentials isn't worthwhile...JMO.
I don’t know anything about his qualifications but I do assume that he’s qualified. I am puzzled though by the fact that he decided to give a media interview after not providing that information during the press conference. MOO

watching Dr Blues zoom presser and Q and A was interesting.
I am wondering as to the motivation and timing behind him doing this.
I apologise if this has been asked before , but is this a usual thing for a coroner to do? I am Australian and it is something that , to my knowledge , isn't done here.
I can't recall it ever being done here actually.

I'm not sure we actually know that BL convinced GB she couldn't drive the van. I've read over and over on WS that happened but what documentation do we have of that?

I think we know she didn't like driving it because she said so in the Moab interview. But do we know why? Other than deciding BL was a controlling person and so he must have done that? That GB couldn't have any other reason for feeling that way?

I'd think it could be hard to switch from driving a Sentra to driving a small but top-heavy van. Also you'd have to be pretty good with mirrors to park the van since it doesn't have windows on the sides in the back. And a used 2012 probably doesn't have a camera. Others have said it might be a manual...I guess that's possible although even in 2012 those were hard to find outside of sports cars.

People have also wondered if BL made her buy it. I guess that's possible too but it would have been hard to do "van life" without a van, I'd think.

JMO

Edit: fixed typo

I think it’s normal for many people, and especially a young person, to have anxiety about driving on highways. Often times, they have recently received their full licence and have minimal driving experience, especially on highways/freeways where the speed limit is significantly higher than city driving. And then to be far from home, navigating the routes, knowing where to turn in, and so on, adds another element to it all. This is why drivers must go through a series of testing to transition to licenses that provide more privileges only over time and with pracctise. I think her not feeling comfortable to drive on the roads in unfamiliar territory had the most to do with her comment on the Moab video.

Last edited:
I have a question for those of you familiar with physical DV. Gabby claimed to have hit Brian first during their scuffle and also said she hit him when the police pulled them over. She also said Brian did not hit her but grabbed her face and pushed her back. She was very clear that Brian was wanting her to calm down. I believe her.

Is it normal for victims of long term DV to initiate violence with the one they fear? Or is it more likely that Brian's violence was new? I have no experience with DV and this is an honest question.

To be clear, I in no way put any blame on Gabby. I'm just trying to understand as I find this confusing.

do we know for a fact that she was the initiator? She seemed to be too willing to take the blame, all the while crying and looking very confused and scared. It was pathetic to watch. I do believe that she was reacting to his manipulating her. And I got the impression that this was not a new dynamic. For example, when she grabbed her face to demonstrate how he did it to her. She looked terrified. MOO

ETA also the Witnesses who called in reported that the male slapped the female so we know objectively she was not the initiator

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member