Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #7

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think many people bring bias into investigative processes.

Sometimes an honest person simply struggles to believe the subject could be lying and could have "harmed someone.” Agenda can can also trump reason at times. I know I’m guilty of projecting my personal bias onto POI or other involved party at times. I can tell I need to take a step back when certain unpleasant memories and images begin to envelop my brain while reading the thread.
This is something very important that we all need to keep in mind, even -- especially -- if it makes us uncomfortable. Thank you for the reminder.

Any webcam recordings of the van with and without GP would be extremely helpful in directing their search efforts.
I can't even imagine the resources needed to pour through all the video, phone records, and tips LE are getting at this point. Hats off, and a deep bow of gratitude to the investigators working so hard to find Gabby and return her home. Where Is She?!

MOO, IMHO, JMO, OBSERVATIONS AND THOUGHTS.

Now – the theories on why he is silent? From his side, I personally think, he is clean. He has nothing to do with the disappearance. SO why is he not speaking? Maybe he got scared with the police incident that he doesn’t want to go through anything like that again? Maybe – GP told him to go, leave me alone, he never wanted to leave her as he knows how vulnerable she is, but she insisted by acting unstable again and drove him out and away. After that, he may have tried calling and texting her, but because she told him to go and leave, he thought GP was ignoring her because she was ghosting him. Has happened to me, but in reality the SO at the time was involved in an accident. As far as he is concerned, he has tried to rekindle the releationship, try to fix it, but it’s not working so he drives back home because she tells him to. Maybe shes found another support system, friend, acquaintance that she can rely on with her travels - hence why she doesn’t need to depend on BL anymore. He is heartbroken and comes home. It’s only when the family can’t get in touch with her – he realizes that it is more serious than her ghosting him? JMO

Maybe she’s told him to go back home because in her mind she has realized she can’t be the influence she dreamed of and needs to give up on this dream and end everything? Anxiety literally eats you up and every thought that you have. It throws logic and common sense out of the window. If she let the negativity take over – she may have possible gone into such a dark place that she endangered herself? Again, MOO, as been there, done that, got the t-shirt.

Maybe the financial hardship was the cause of the anxiety for both and it then just blew up. I know I need financial security, which means money in my pocket. If my pocket is empty, that’s it, ridiculous thoughts take over and consume me and my thinking becomes irrational and illogical. Maybe thinking that she spent s much time, money and effort and it’s all gone to waste was too much for her to handle?

All MOO, IMO, my own thoughts.

Snipped by me

I really hope she didn't put something along the lines of "Leave me alone" "I dont want to see you again" or "Go ahead without me" in ANY texted arguments...

It is abolsutely disclosable to LE in the case of a missing person.

From the HIPAA guide for Law Enforcement:

• To respond to a request for PHI for purposes of identifying or locating a suspect, fugitive, material witness or missing person, but the information must be limited to basic demographic and health information about the person
I wish we could pin this post. Every time someone goes missing people wonder if they're in a rehab, mental health facility or hospital and due to HIPAA no one is able to report it.

It would sure be nice if we had some sort of public excel sheet where people put down all the information, with columns for sources and estimates of reliability. And there could be more columns for more subjective opinions (like the shape of someone's ears!)

Does anybody know how and where this could be set up?
@sarx @bambibones

I think the easiest way initially in order to get all the info down would be a shared Google doc that can be edited by people with the link

In this recommended type of format to start out: different headings for topics, then the events within that topic, then each differing claim with links about who said it and where the info is coming from. Then maybe all “official” or “confirmed” claims can be separated into new document. Something like this:

TOPIC: Gabby’s last known locations
  • EVENT: When was Gabby last seen on camera?
    • Aug 24 - Hotel CCTV Footage
      • Details/Story Quote:
      • Claimed by:
      • Link to claim:
  • EVENT: Gabby’s last confirmed communication with mother
    • Aug 25 - FaceTimed
      • Details/Story Quote:
      • Claimed by:
      • Link to claim:
  • EVENT: Gabby’s van seen by witnesses by Jenny Lake
    • Aug 25 @ 5pm
      • Details/Story Quote:
      • Claimed by:
      • Link to claim:
  • EVENT: Gabby & Brian seen by witness in Idaho
    • Aug 25 or Aug 26
      • Details/Story Quote:
      • Claimed by:
      • Link to claim:
TOPIC: Last texts from Gabby’s phone
  • EVENT: Texts to mom
    • Aug 26
      • Details/Story Quote:
      • Claimed by:
      • Link to claim:
    • Aug 27
      • Details/Story Quote:
      • Claimed by:
      • Link to claim:
    • Aug 30
      • Details/Story Quote:
      • Claimed by:
      • Link to claim:
  • EVENT: Snapchat to friend
    • Aug 27
      • Details/Story Quote:
      • Claimed by:
      • Link to claim:
TOPIC: Moab Couple Murdered
  • EVENT: Moab Couple Last Seen
    • Aug 13
      • Details/Story Quote:
      • Claimed by:
      • Link to claim:
  • EVENT: Moab couple’s bodies found
    • Aug 18
      • Details/Story Quote:
      • Claimed by:
      • Link to claim:
    • Aug 19
      • Details/Story Quote:
      • Claimed by:
      • Link to claim:
TOPIC: Brian’s PRIOR trip to FL
  • EVENT: Reason for flying to FL
    • To unload storage unit into house
      • Details/Story Quote:
      • Claimed by:
      • Link to claim:
    • To load storage unit
      • Details/Story Quote:
      • Claimed by:
      • Link to claim:
  • EVENT: Mode of transportation
    • Flight
      • Details/Story Quote:
      • Claimed by:
      • Link to claim:
  • EVENT: Dates of travel
    • Aug 17-23
      • Details/Story Quote:
      • Claimed by:
      • Link to claim:
    • Aug 17-21
      • Details/Story Quote:
      • Claimed by:
      • Link to claim:
And so on and so forth as deep as it goes. Add multiple links below a claim that has been continually repeated, etc. Add events within the topics (for example, add event about Moab girls’ last texts about creepy guy following them) and so on.

I WISH I had time to do this, but I don’t. I would add to it though and am sure everyone would and would try to be as detailed as possible so we can see what dates are correct and what arent.

Last edited:
Walking barefoot is a trendy thing called "grounding" or "earthing".

Why Going Barefoot Can Be Good For Your Health: Meet "Earthing"

"The Earth's surface is negatively charged with free electrons—meaning that the Earth has an abundance of free (negatively charged) electrons that travel and rapidly reduce positive charge," Ober tells mbg. "Example: When standing barefoot on the earth, the body absorbs these free electrons and equalizes to the earth's negative charge."

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Just to add to the barefoot "grounding." New Age/Pagans/Wiccan among others use barefoot & crystals to ground them and these are things that absorb/ release negative energies in the body, caused by life.

@Lore Listener

My comments about wishing Gabby had an opportunity to be more calm around others were solely because it might have offered a better opportunity for her to talk about it if she wished, giving insight into her relationship with BL. For her benefit, not to make it easier for someone else.

That might not have seemed to be such a big thing at the time, but looking back, they were the last people we know of who had significant contact with the couple.

I agree that jail would be terrible and my thoughts were mostly for a secure place to stay. Maybe someone should have come back to the van later in the evening when BL wasn’t around. There’s no guarantee she would have opened up (probably not) but if she had perhaps they would have tried to get help for her beyond separating them for only one night.

Sorry. I’m a little frazzled and not being very clear this evening. As someone who had an abusive husband for a short time when I was very young, I totally get DV. I left that relationship after hitting the ground and damaging an eye when he slapped me. He is very lucky I didn’t off him in his sleep. I had never seen that behavior before and didn’t plan to see it again.

jmo

It is abolsutely disclosable to LE in the case of a missing person.

From the HIPAA guide for Law Enforcement:

• To respond to a request for PHI for purposes of identifying or locating a suspect, fugitive, material witness or missing person, but the information must be limited to basic demographic and health information about the person

I should have said "not generally disclosed" because the givers of that information don't have to give it without a court order or patient authorization - and generally don't without one or the other.

JMO.

I posted this many threads ago, but I'm reposting for those who didn't see it.

Important moments from body cam footage transcribed by me (with timestamps):

10:00GP to officer regarding driving over the curb: “We don’t drink or anything”

12:45BL: “The flies here are like pretty intense, so the flies have definitely been getting to her.”

13:33Officer: “what was the disagreement about?”
BL: “I wouldn’t even call it a disagreement. I, I’m dirty and I can’t change being dirty, like I’ve got dirty feet, I got sand in my flip flops and stuff like that. Uh, it was that we were at the coffee shop for so long, ‘cause we were there from 9 to 3

14:22BL explaining why he suggested GP take a walk after the incident at Moonflower cafe: “she got a little worked up. She had her phone in her hand and her keys in her hand and everything. She wanted—er, not her keys, her rings—and I was holding onto the keys cause I just, I didn’t want her to go anywhere and my big fear is, I don’t have my phone, uh, I don’t have a phone so if she goes off without me, you know, on a car ride, I don’t have a way home.”

15:50BL: “I’m fine, and I look it [good? audio muffled]. And I hope she doesn’t have too many complaints about me.”

20:47Officer to other officer: “so I just got off the phone with one of the two witnesses that reported it”

29:17Officer: “Do you guys have enough money for like a hotel room or anything like that? Because what we could do is, we’d cite her for this, and then I’d give her a ride over to whatever hotel of your guys’ choosing and on your way to pick her up, you stop over there at the PD, sign the paperwork that they’re requesting and then you can go pick her up, quite literally, within minutes.”
Other officer: “Unless you know someone else in town that’s a friend she could stay with.”
BL: “You know, unfortunately not. I don’t, and I guess that [note: trails off at the end of the sentence and Officer interrupts]

31:06Officer: “You guys don’t know anyone in town? Guys been around long?”
BL: “No, I don’t know anyone in town. If she went—[abruptly stops mid-sentence].”

44:30Female officer to male officer: “She’s [GP] got her cellphone, she’s calling her parents to feel better. She doesn’t want to not be with him tonight.”

49:19Officer to GP: “Were you attempting to cause him [BL] physical pain or physical impairment? Was that what you were attempting to do?”
GP: “No. Never.”
Officer: “What were you attempting to do? What was the reason behind the slapping and stuff? What was it you were attempting to accomplish by slapping him?”
GP: “I was trying to get him to stop telling me to calm down.”

1:00:06Officer asks GP if she has anything she wants him to communicate to BL, GP responds: “Make sure he doesn’t forget a phone charger. Definitely mad.
Officer: “Oh, he’s mad about that too?”
GP: “yeah”

What was BL doing by being friendly and relaxed and calm with the cops? Narc behavior or trying to show that he is a law abiding citizen? I can’t judge him on that and neither can ANYONE else.

Moving on to GP. IMO shes a very young, naïve and unstable individual purely based on my assumptions of the bodycam footage. Shes trying to talk but crying. She doesn’t have the mental strength or clarity to compose herself. She’s not very detailed in her conversing either. She’s very emotional. Why? You’ve had the fight, you’re in the car driving now – so why are you still crying and inconsolable?

…..kind of confused. You’re saying NOBODY can make any judgment based off of BL’s demeanor, but it’s ok to label GP as naive, unstable, and lacking mental strength based off of her demeanor?

I keep thinking of BL's sister's children. This has got to be very hard on them, especially if they're in school.

I keep thinking of poor Gabby's younger siblings. I think there are six of them. Not only are they in school and subject to public comments and ridicule since some of the media is wrongly portraying Gabby as a mentally ill domestic violence abuser, their sister is missing and most likely dead. This has to be an absolute terrifying situation.

Just some perspective.

Haven't read everything yet, unfortunately, but has anyone posted that she could be in a psychiatric inpatient facility in the area?

Whether she was IVC'd or admitted voluntarily, it would be HIPAA protected and not disclosable unless she authorized it to be disclosed.

JMO.
This is possible and it can be for a long duration, 30 days maybe. But I believe they would allow her to call home.

wondering if someone can help me out, I am a little tech challenged. when I try to reply to a post it has quote marks and gets removed. can someone tell me how to reply correctly?
thanks

Do you click "reply"? I'm also not great with technology but when I want to reply to a particular comment, I click "reply". If it doesn't go through or doesn't let me, I think it's because the quoted post has been removed. I'm sorry I'm probably not much help.

Haven't read everything yet, unfortunately, but has anyone posted that she could be in a psychiatric inpatient facility in the area?

Whether she was IVC'd or admitted voluntarily, it would be HIPAA protected and not disclosable unless she authorized it to be disclosed.

JMO.

MOO

They’d let the police know where she was, and the police would drop the investigation, without revealing any details except that she had been found alive.

HIPAA does not authorize a facility to let several jurisdictions of LE, as well as the FBI, continue on a multi-week wild-goose/chase.

MOO

Question: So just kind of tell us what you were saying just your reaction as a whole to everything.

Cassie Laundrie: Obviously, me and my family want Gabbie to be found safe. She is like a sister and my children love her, and all I want is for her to come home safe and sound and this be just a big misunderstanding.

Question: And how close, have you guys all been over the years, you were saying.

Cassie Laundrie: For the last two years Gabby's been in our life and she's been nice and fun and we've, we've had a great time. My kids absolutely adore her.

Question: And when you just heard the news just in general, like that she's missing and that your brother's back here?

Cassie Laundrie: I don't understand. As much as everybody else I'm learning everything from the news, too.

Question: And you were saying you've talked to police because some people have been saying okay the family - from your end you've, you've communicated with police.

Cassie Laundrie: Yes, I talked to the police, the second they called. I called them right back. We were in Orlando on vacation with my kids at Disney. And we came back to this.

Question: And what's your hope right now along with the rest of the world.

Cassie Laundrie: I hope she's safe and good and just out there unaware and safe.

Question: And you were saying in terms of the body cam just like you, you looked at the body camera video - just kind of what was - knowing them, you were saying just kind of, nothing was crazy.

Cassie Laundrie: No, I didn't find anything peculiar other than it was just a regular couples spat gone wrong.

Question: And did the whole family like know, they were going on this big road trip, like how exciting - talk to us about that.

Cassie Laundrie: Yeah, they talked about it for a while and they love to travel. They sent us postcards along the way. They, they really kept in touch with the kids through video chat and their phones and show them all the sights because my boys love to travel too. They love all the Utah sights and everything that they send them.

Question: What did you think when you knew, like the YouTube videos and just, I mean it looks like they're having a great time.

Cassie Laundrie: Oh, yeah, I mean, I, what I've seen a lot of people saying with YouTube videos is, it was from their first trip and their, like, current trip. They mushed it together as one thing to just start their first leg of travel.

Question: And so I guess the last time you saw our talk to Gabby was before they left.

Cassie Laundrie: I, other than FaceTime, yeah. Like the day before they left, they came over and helped me with the kids because I had pest control coming in.

Question: Did they talk to, like, family regularly on the trip?

Cassie Laundrie: Yeah, that sort of thing, yeah.

Question: And I guess if you're - what's, just kind of as his sister, the oddest thing to you about all this, if you had to?

Cassie Laundrie: That I haven't been able to talk to him. I wish I could talk to him.

Question: He just doesn't want to say anything to anyone.

Cassie Laundrie: I know that it's all because the lawyers, advising them not to say anything, I, I...

Question: In the meantime, it like seems like the world searching for Gabby, and they're just all in the house and you're trying to cooperate as best you can.

Cassie Laundrie: I've cooperated in every way that I can. I wish I had information or I would give more. I, I, I...this is all I have is - I gave to the police.

Question: Have you talked to Gabby's family?

Cassie Laundrie: No one's reached out to me and I don't know if it's appropriate for me to reach out to them when everything with everything going on.

Question: What would you say to her family just so they know that you're...

Cassie Laundrie: Oh we want her back safe too. It's obvious what - she's great. She's cute. She loves my kids, they've done one together.

Question: And just as a mom yourself, I guess you probably can't even imagine what ...?

Cassie Laundrie: I...that's what, obviously, the big thing is as a parent, you want to protect your kids.

Question: Did the police say anything else about...?

Cassie Laundrie: No, I only had their initial questions and I haven't been contacted again and, and whenever they want to contact me again I'm here waiting they have my number.

Question: Did you know that the van was back and you're...?

Cassie Laundrie: No.

Question: So you didn't know that he came back without the...?

Cassie Laundrie: I assumed he flew back, because that's what he did when he is - actually I don't want to say that.

Questioner: No problem. No problem.

Cassie Laundrie: I think that's more police stuff.

Question: Okay, um, but is it is it like out of his behavior to go on a trip with her and then just leave her somewhere like has anything like this ever...?

Cassie Laundrie: No, I mean. No, nothing like this has ever happened before.

Question: But I'm saying he doesn't really have. Does he have like the personality to where he would?

Cassie Laundrie: No, he's very um... He's very. He always does the right thing, like in the body cam he's - he cooperates with the police, and he - he's is a wonderful uncle. He's always been there when I need him. He's, I mean, he's been there every time Gabby needed him.

Question: So when you saw the video, did it, just look like a spat to you or did it look like your brother was, or, you know what I mean like does it just?

Cassie Laundrie: It looks typical of both of them, they whenever they fight, they would take a little break and come back and be fine, because that's what you do in a couple - sit there in the mountains together.

Question: Anything else you want to say just from your perspective, or just about the whole situation, like you said you've been watching it all unravel, day by day, and more and more attention is getting on and it seems like the whole world's wondering where she is?

Cassie Laundrie: I don't I don't think so, I just obviously we want her back just as bad as everybody else I don't, I wish I could help and be the person to be that. I don't know.
ABC Exclusive: Full interview with Brian Laundrie's sister on Gabby Petito

When GP mentioned her really bad OCD to LEO (about the fight) she said she just wanted to clean the van. Then BL says he’s dirty, has sand on his feet and shoes due to camping and that she got mad about it. IOW’s she’s a neatnik and was PO’d he made a mess. I can relate to that. It doesn’t mean she was mentally ill.

She was hot, they were out of water because BL won’t drink out of a plastic bottle and instead of filling their 6 gallon H2O tank in town he was driving to The Arches campsite. He was being a control freak by making her go without water. She was dehydrated.

BTW, she asked LEO first thing if they had any water and drank it down in the patrol car. Then after that she walked to her van with 3 more bottles they gave her for the road.

The reason IMO they stayed at the Cafe from 9-3 is because of free WiFi and AC. Maybe free water, too, but they weren’t stopped until 2+ hours later and a small person can dehydrate quickly in that heat. The temp that day was 95-97. Even in a van with the AC going it’s hot and they were driving into the direct sun.

I think she wanted him to stop at the shaded Visitors Center, get some water and let her clean out the van before driving all the way to the campsite. It was too hot to do all that in the middle of nowhere. But he wouldn’t agree because he was behind the wheel. And that’s how the fight started. IIRC he even mentioned to LEO he still wanted to go camp at the site that night if she went to jail.
JMTCW

I keep thinking of poor Gabby's younger siblings. I think there are six of them. Not only are they in school and subject to public comments and ridicule since some of the media is wrongly portraying Gabby as a mentally ill domestic violence abuser, their sister is missing and most likely dead. This has to be an absolute terrifying situation.

Just some perspective.

That poor family. I can only begin to imagine what they're going through. I'd be beside myself. I really hope Gabby is found safe somehow. I'm not religious but I'm begging the universe for something to happen where the family can get answers.

After August 30th, Gabby’s parents weren’t able to get in contact with Gabby or her fiance. Her fiance’s mother also was not responding to any phone calls.”
SEP 1
: BL returns home to FL alone, (retains an attorney & is uncooperative with the investigation when police arrive at his parents house Sept 11)
SEP 10:: Gabby’s mother texted Brian and his mother, Roberta, trying to get in touch with Gabby, but neither replied
First I've heard of this. If BL and his parents did not respond to Gabby's mother's calls way back on Sep 1st, that does not bode well. That tells me they were in full panic mode and they already knew something bad had happened to her. If GP had simply bailed out on him during an argument, there would be no need to avoid her parents and hide from LE, at least not that soon after her disappearance when you might still presume she would resurface.

As someone who has had an interest in crime for many years, I can't tell you how many times unsolved disappearances began with a boyfriend letting an upset girlfriend or wife out of the car, driving away, returning after "cooling off" and finding her gone.
Sometimes, its not the people involved, but the environment of the unexpected they occupied and the unanticipated humans who inhabited it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
momster0734