Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #75

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I really don't understand it. I have a couple of clients who were literally clients #2 and #3 when I started my own practice. They are still clients. They are now very big, successful businesses that make cool products that help people. It's the same small management teams from when they were young guys and girls in their garages to over a decade later running big businesses. When I have to break bad news to them or we are unable to solve a problem for them, I genuinely feel bad. I will feel sad like I let down a friend. That's how close you can get to people you work with as a lawyer over time. It's not just transactional or trying to find a loophole - it's trying to do your best to help your client get the best outcome possible.

The idea that your clients of 20 years lost their son and are at the center of a media storm that you contributed to and you...decide to go on TV repeatedly is just...I really don't understand. It's gross and this is why people hate lawyers. lol

Here's Part 2 of the clips.
In the second one, Cuomo is angling for & advising a sit-down interview w the Laundries ( Which is what WFLA seemed to be doing today too)
https://twitter.com/CuomoPrimeTime/status/1450995282062229506

I suppose the most perplexing thing for me may always be this:

Brian takes the Mustang out to the Wildlife Preserve allegedly to hike. His parents go a couple of days later to get the parked Mustang and drive it to their home; thereby, leaving Brian without a way to travel when or if he decided to leave the Wildlife Preserve. How does one actively abandon one's own child?

I cannot make sense of that movement. I do believe had it been my child, I would have stood beside the Mustang until the FBI dragged me away with wild horses.

This has indeed been one of the most traumatic months spent in true crime. As a proud grandmother, it's difficult to realize that Gabby will never present her precious newborn babies to her parents for mine are truly mighty fine gifts.

May Gabby's sweet soul rest in peace.
Because it was going to be towed anyway and I don't know the fine, but they can be steep.

On what specific grounds could he have been apprehended between 11th and13th?
Stealing her Van - sheriff Grady Judd weighed in on this and he said he would have arrested him on that charge
Sheriff Grady Judd on Brian Laundrie: ‘We would have never let him out of our custody’ | WFLA
Snipped
https://www.wfla.com/news/polk-coun...-would-have-never-let-him-out-of-our-custody/
If it were up to him, Polk County Sheriff Grady Judd says he would have detained Brian Laundrie after learning he returned home to Florida in his fiancée’s van without her.

<modsnip - quoted post removed>

CL did not find Brian's remains. LE did.

"Earlier today investigators found what appears to be human remains along with personal items, such as a backpack and notebook, belonging to Brian Laundrie," Michael McPherson, special agent in charge of the FBI's Tampa office, told reporters."

"Apparent human remains found after Brian Laundrie's possessions located in Florida nature reserve" Apparent human remains found after Brian Laundrie's possessions located in Florida nature reserve

Last edited by a moderator:
<modsnip - quoted post removed>
His family could/should have turned him over to police on Sept 1. He'd still be alive had they done that! MOO

And, until we get the forensics we do not know if he was even in that Reserve from 9/13/2021 forward or if he returned to it later after seeing the jeopardy his sister and her family and his parents were in. Him doing that would aid to confirm their initial story, that's for sure. MOO IMO JMO. So it's all still open. We need to see the actual evidence. MOO

So Gitana ( good to see you), do you legally feel that the Petito family has grounds to file a Civil Suit against the Laundrie family/his estate?
I think they should. Discovery alone would yield some answers. MOO (Brian is very likely judgment proof. So, yes. Against the parents. They already know if they have what they need to do it. We don't know, but the Petitos and Schmidts do. MOO)

I stand corrected.
I could have sworn the Petito family said they included Cassie in their frantic calls/texts.
I guess only the phone records would confirm if Cassie's phone ever received those calls.

I thought I read that the P's called everyone in the L family that they knew. I would assume that includes C as she seemed to be somewhat close with GP. It's difficult to keep track and no one knows the complete truth except for those directly involved. Cited sources tend to change often in this case. IMO.

I just can't get over the fact that they repeatedly stated with confidence that they KNEW where BL was. They didn't know. The statement they released today basically admitted it, saying they were "working with the best intelligence on what we thought at the time." They lied to the community, which to me is a massive breach of trust and confidence. They could have equivocated, they could have said, "The Laundrie attorney says BL is in such-and-such place," or even "The Laundrie family is not releasing that information," but instead NPPD stated several times that they knew his whereabouts. If they hadn't made those statement, if they hadn't pretended that they had BL in their sights, I wonder if efforts might have begun sooner to keep tabs on him, officially or unofficially.

I hope, if nothing else, that LE will take that to heart going forward on future cases, and not give a false sense of security to the community when something like this happens again. If you don't know where your POI is, haven't had a single set of eyes on him to confirm he's in your jurisdiction, please don't say you do.
You're talking about up to the time he was reported missing. Gotcha.
So, we need to clarify the legal position, theirs, if they are believing the lawyer's undertaking that BL is at home..
I don't have a clue how to search that.

I really hope the FBI releases some information on the investigation. The truth of the matter is that Brian's death does not provide an answer as to what really happened from Aug. 27 - Aug. 29. For all we know, Brian could have left Gabby at the site, went hiking, came back and she was gone.

Guilt from an argument with Gabby turned deadly, or guilt for leaving her for someone else to kill. Without more evidence being released, we just don't know.

I'll probably never get past this story:

Florida Disney alligator saw boy as prey, report says | CNN
Absolutely.

IMO, they cut off their nose to spite their face, as my mother always says.

We were at Grand Floridian when that happened. I probably will never get past it either. I had to ask my husband to go to the front desk to ask for our room to be moved to somewhere that I couldn't see the lake.

A few people here have mentioned the peace and beauty they find in the swamps and I appreciate that, because I've felt such HORROR at the thought of anyone going near a swamp, a lake, or a puddle in Florida. I'm so terrified of alligators. I still won't (and probably never will) go anywhere off well-lit concrete in Florida.

So LE found BL's body. That still leaves the reward, that's A LOT of money. Could it be donated to Gabbie's foundation. Maybe an attorney on WS would know ???

True - but each time it was used, it would still ping off tower where it was used. It would still give a pattern of whereabouts of someone (so criminals learn to destroy them/toss them). People do buy phones like this and then resell them at swap meets or similar...very hard to trace.
Yikes. There's, like, and underworld of burner phones. Who knew?

Criminal law is listed in his specialties on his website if you look closely. And for those who are adamant and think its so suspicious they lawyered up and believe he's not a criminal attorney even though its listed on his website, then it supports the idea even more that the Laundrie parents didn't think anything sinister was going on

General practitioners/many solos do a little of this and a little of that. I've seen very few people state he "wasn't" at all equipped to handle criminal matters - obviously he does. But if you look even closer at his practice, you'll see it is not a) his primary focus nor b) of the scale, nature, or stakes of a cross-jurisdictional homicide with sustained Federal LE and media attention.

I mean, I'm an attorney. Not a family lawyer. But for a friend, sure, I'll look over their negotiated divorce settlement agreement or provide support about the process, negotiation, caveated information, etc. However: if my friend is in a 15-year marriage, with kids and properties and complex investments and business interests, along with IRS issues and potential criminal investigation issues, where one spouse is a wealthy foreign national and they're dedicated to scorched-earth litigation, I will call my network to get names of people to interview who live and breathe this stuff.

Just as I would expect a mostly family law practitioner to refer complex and high-stakes matters in my areas of expertise to me/someone like me.

I must say that I totally agree with your reasoning. If LE had done their job in the beginning of this case, ie., kept BL under surveillance, then he would not have disappeared and his death could have been prevented.

You mean, from the moment the missing persons case was filed?

Haven't watched it yet but already the timing seems off to me but....
wouldn't the Laundries have instructed or at least given him the permission to take media bookings?

It depends. Even if you are a practicing lawyer you are a person too so you can talk about what you want outside of your specific representations. Your clients would have to consent to you discussing their specific cases because you have a duty of confidentiality and privilege to your clients.

So for example, I have given talks on business law at industry conferences but used hypotheticals and did not discuss any specific cases. I didn't need my clients' permission to do that since it wasn't about their cases. If I was going to discuss any specific cases, I would have gotten permission first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cowboy89