Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #79

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know there's a lot of people who believe GP died on Aug 27, but now that we know cause of death was strangulation, the idea that BL hiked up to Colter Bay with a tarp to "clean up" just doesn't seem to fit logically anymore. What would BL (a guy who admitted to LE that he regularly tracked dirt into the van) have been so intent upon "cleaning up" if there wasn't blood or gunpowder residue involved? And why--if he just freaked out and took off on foot--would he bring the tarp along? And why hang around the area (with the van just yards from GP's body) for two more days? I know folks on here have said that they think the hitchhiking stories were to establish alibis, but if anything, those stories helped narrow down exactly where the van--and GP's remains--were located. He also didn't bother to try to establish any alibis during the trip back or once he arrived in FL, so his reversal from chatty guy who talks about his gf to going completely silent obviously came sometime after being dropped off in Spread Creek on the 29th.

I still think the date that makes more sense is Aug 29 -- that after he gets back from hiking/hitchhiking that GP confronts him about deserting her (possibly without a phone or keys) for the day when she was supposed to be meeting up with a friend. He kills her, he freaks out, shoves everything in the van, and doesn't stop driving until he gets home.

MOO
Your theory is one I haven't thought of. Great work!

Is anyone buying this? Did they really NOT pay attention?
Baldhead, slim build, a beard vs a mom, with hair and no beard.
I doubt she dressed up as him, and shaved her head.
What's happening here?

No way. They look nothing alike except for sharing the traits most humans have in common: a head, two arms and two legs. It's possible the police are doing CYA, or it's possible they have eye problems rampant in the NPPD. They should not be doing surveillance at all if they are that bad at it. JMO
I'm actually stunned at that explanation.

Look at photos of her, you can clearly see her hair, dark brown and grey 2 or 3 inches under the baseball cap on all sides. And then there are the women's clothes - her tunic tops, lymphedema sleeve, women's shoes, and usually she carries a women's purse or a women's backpack. She isn't bald, doesn't have heavy eyebrows, a beard and mustache. She's not a wiry young man. She is obviously decades older than BL. She is shorter than her husband and BL, at 5'8" is a bit taller than his father. The NPPD would have to be literally blind not to realize it was not BL. I'm just floored that a mistake like this could have been made. Did the NPPD NOT have a photo of BL?
If she was in the car then I can see why LE might mistake her for BL, especially wearing a baseball cap. If the windows were rolled up it would have been even more difficult.

I lean this way as well.... that he was just "out of his mind".

When folks armchair psychological disorders that may pertain to Brian, I just keep coming back to "he had nothing in his life except Gabby".
And I feel the disclosure that he DID HAVE medication at the Moab stop, that he just did not want to take because it messed with his head (paraphrasing) ..... I dunno..... does lead me to believe that there probably have been some issues or mental diagnoses in the past.

Maybe he was desperately trying to think of how he could "live" if no one ever found her.......... I still think he could not go on for too long without her.

I am actually more content with him offing himself. In the long run, it was the best thing for 6 parents. In the short run, i dunno....

I addressed the following elsewhere online and feel it important enough to copy here:

Had GP left him for good, and still alive, safe and sound, while BL is unsuccessfully dealing with her leaving him, comes to the realization he would have a VERY hard time being in a relationship with a woman ever again.

In fact, he'd probably end up having no one ever again.

MOO

While this thread was being edited, I ran across a little info I did not know from 3 weeks back. It's hard to understand exactly what this means:

"FBI agents returned to Laundry’s house on Thursday, spending time in the house and in a camper laundromat, and his parents went on a trip a few days before he went missing."
Gabby Petito Update: The FBI brought home an item that was used to "help canines" in search of Brian Laundry. - Florida News Times

Not sure if the journalist meant to say the FBI searched the camper (which we all saw on TV) OR if the FBI went to Port DeSoto Campground and searched the laundry there. I'm 100% certain that tiny pickup bed camper does not contain any kind of laundry facility. At most it may have a sink or porta potty type toilet. This is a good example of why journalists need to check their work and make sure it says whatever they meant to say because as it is, it's very confusing.

"...in a camper laundromat'' - I think that is just incredibly sloppy writing.
I wonder how much of that there has been in this case.

Laundrie cops set up secret camera in neighbor's trash can BEFORE he vanished

COPS set up a secret camera in a neighbor's trash can to keep watch on Brian Laundrie's parents' home BEFORE he took off for a hike and vanished, The Sun can reveal.

It was stashed in the can outside a house across from the Laundrie home in North Port, Florida, and the wire ran to the back of the house and through the AC unit, said a neighbor, who wished to remain anonymous.

The camera - one of several secretly installed by police, it emerged on Friday - was set up as early as September 11, but "definitely" by September 12, the neighbor said.

"That's why this is so frustrating,'" the neighbor said.

"There was a camera in the front (of the Laundrie home) and one in the back, so how did this happen? Was he already gone?"

The neighbor believes North Port police monitored the live video feed 24/7 because there was one time when they parked their car at a different part of the driveway, which obstructed officers' view of the Laundries' home.

"Within 10 minutes, an undercover cop asked us to move the car," the neighbor said.

A North Port police spokesman told NewsNationNow's Brian Entin on Friday:

"We missed him going out there."

How Experts Identify Crash Victims Through Dental Records

Teeth are incredibly durable. They can withstand heat up to 1,200 degrees, said Dr. Roy Sonkin, the forensic dentist who is the deputy borough chief forensic odontologist at the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner in New York City. Consequently, they are often the only identifiable feature left if a victim perishes in a car crash, such as the one that killed actor Paul Walker over the weekend, or if remains are exposed to the elements for a long period of time.

RSnippedBM
Teeth are so tough that after cremation, they have to be pulverized (along with the "long bones" of the legs).

Brian Entin
@BrianEntin

·
1h

1/2 North Port Police PIO Josh Taylor says officers thought they saw Brian Laundrie coming home in the Mustang Wednesday Sept. 15 -- but it was actually his mom Roberta. Taylor tells me because Roberta was wearing a baseball cap, officers were confused and made the mistake.

He never says any officer saw her get into or out of the car. Sounds like they just saw someone driving the Mustang wearing a baseball cap.

Is everyone convinced the hitchhiker stories are true? I mean, I'm not sure the tik-tok story re: the water bottle and bones at the reserve are true. A lot of theories floating around are predicated on the hitchhiker stories being accurate, but at the time they came out, there was a ton of media about the case already. Shoot - the Appalachian Trail guy was 100% it was BL who he ran into as well - but that seems super unlikely at this point. I really, really hate to think about how many people may be using this for their 15 seconds of attention or just wrong about who they came into contact with. My guess - the FBI likely has 95% of the circumstances around the case figured out and we, the public, may honestly never know and continue to speculate.

Brian Laundrie Mistaken for Mom, Not Watched Carefully, Police Admit

Here is why the police said they knew where Brian was when it turned out they didn't.

During a recent interview with WINK News in Florida, North Port Police Public Information Officer Josh Taylor said the department watched Laundrie leave his home on September 13 and then believed he returned home in his Ford Mustang on September 15.

However, the North Port Police Department later learned that the person in the vehicle was Brian's mother, Roberta Laundrie.

"I believe it was it was his mom who was wearing a baseball cap," Taylor told the local news station. "They had returned from the park with that Mustang. So who does that? Right? Like, if you think your son's missing since Tuesday, you're going to bring his car back to the home.

So it didn't make sense that anyone would do that if he wasn't there. So the individual getting out with a baseball cap we thought was Brian."

"They're kind of built similarly," Taylor added in regard to Brian and his mother.

A day after officials with the North Port Police Department believed Laundrie returned home, they held a press conference where Chief Todd Garrison said that "All I'm going to say is we know where Brian Laundrie is at," believing that he was still at his home in North Port.

While Bertolino previously told the FBI that Laundrie did not return home from his hike, an official missing persons report was not filed with the North Port Police Department until Friday, September 17.

"When the family reported him on Friday. That was certainly news to us that they had not seen him," Taylor said. "We thought that we'd seen Brian initially come back into that home on that Wednesday...No case is perfect
Why were they even watching for him to return to the house? Why weren't they watching for him at the car? They knew where it (he) was since they put that abandoned notice on it. :confused:o_O:confused:

Why is JT even discussing the case?
He has been telling journos to ask the FBI questions because it's not NPPD's case.
jmho
I'm beginning to believe that JT and SB were both placed into this case by some divine intervenor so that each of them makes the other look at little less reckless. :rolleyes:

In all seriousness, though, as (silently) sympathetic I've been to NPPD throughout this thing, they seem to have a esal need for training and a shake up in their processes and procedures.

Police officers should not be assuming or ballparking; they should be questioning and verifying.

Sure, they drew conclusions: must be Brian bc what parent would bring home the car their missing son took, and yep, there's a short-haired person in a cap driving, so must be BL. No one responsible for a fact-necessary job should be making assumptions like that, and certainly not basing public comments on such loose assumptions. Sloppy work on the ground, but even more - sloppy standards from the top down.

Last edited:
I know there's a lot of people who believe GP died on Aug 27, but now that we know cause of death was strangulation, the idea that BL hiked up to Colter Bay with a tarp to "clean up" just doesn't seem to fit logically anymore. What would BL (a guy who admitted to LE that he regularly tracked dirt into the van) have been so intent upon "cleaning up" if there wasn't blood or gunpowder residue involved? And why--if he just freaked out and took off on foot--would he bring the tarp along? And why hang around the area (with the van just yards from GP's body) for two more days? I know folks on here have said that they think the hitchhiking stories were to establish alibis, but if anything, those stories helped narrow down exactly where the van--and GP's remains--were located. He also didn't bother to try to establish any alibis during the trip back or once he arrived in FL, so his reversal from chatty guy who talks about his gf to going completely silent obviously came sometime after being dropped off in Spread Creek on the 29th.

I still think the date that makes more sense is Aug 29 -- that after he gets back from hiking/hitchhiking that GP confronts him about deserting her (possibly without a phone or keys) for the day when she was supposed to be meeting up with a friend. He kills her, he freaks out, shoves everything in the van, and doesn't stop driving until he gets home.

MOO

Personally I believe she was killed sometime in the early hours of August 28th. And then BL went on his little hike with his tarp to try to figure out what to do and get some alibis. If by clean up you mean he went to take a shower? I don't think he did that. The second woman who picked up him up and took him back to the campground said he smelled, as in he was stinky. So he probably hadn't just taken a shower.

Woman who picked up hitchhiking Brian Laundrie says he start acting oddly when they got close to his van

"Norma Jean Jalovec, 52, told People that although Mr Laundrie “was scruffy when he got in the car and he smelled”, she found “nothing extraordinary about him” until they approached the van he and Gabby Petito had lived in during their cross-country trip."

If that is what you meant by cleaning up.

Brian Entin
@BrianEntin

·
1h

1/2 North Port Police PIO Josh Taylor says officers thought they saw Brian Laundrie coming home in the Mustang Wednesday Sept. 15 -- but it was actually his mom Roberta. Taylor tells me because Roberta was wearing a baseball cap, officers were confused and made the mistake.

He never says any officer saw her get into or out of the car. Sounds like they just saw someone driving the Mustang wearing a baseball cap.
Some of the comments to BE's tweet are hilarious!
jmho

What? That's a stretch.
North Port Police believe Brian Laundrie looks very much like his mother, Roberta. Josh Taylor is the public information officer for the North Port Police Department. “They’re kind of built similarly,” said Taylor.[/QUOT
What? That's a stretch.
North Port Police believe Brian Laundrie looks very much like his mother, Roberta. Josh Taylor is the public information officer for the North Port Police Department. “They’re kind of built similarly,” said Taylor.
The difference in their gait alone would allow you to tell them apart from a mile away!

"...in a camper laundromat'' - I think that is just incredibly sloppy writing.
I wonder how much of that there has been in this case.
Looks like it was originally written in a foreign language and translated with an app--a not very good one! I've run across a few of those articles in this case. I think that may have been an attempt to write "the Laundrie's camper." MOO.

What? That's a stretch.
North Port Police believe Brian Laundrie looks very much like his mother, Roberta. Josh Taylor is the public information officer for the North Port Police Department. “They’re kind of built similarly,” said Taylor.[/QUOT
What? That's a stretch.
North Port Police believe Brian Laundrie looks very much like his mother, Roberta. Josh Taylor is the public information officer for the North Port Police Department. “They’re kind of built similarly,” said Taylor.
The difference in their gait alone would allow you to tell them apart from a mile away!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalo13