Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #82

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know it is not popular to defend LE, but I saw several officers and park rangers including a woman that spoke to Gabby for a very long time, trying HARD to get it right. Over an hour. Looked up the law, spoke to both of them at length., etc etc.

ADDED:
Those officers can stop and help me any day of the week.

As a woman, I'd be delighted to be treated the way those LE officers treated GP and BL.

I know it is not popular to defend LE, but I saw several officers and park rangers including a woman that spoke to Gabby for a very long time, trying HARD to get it right. Over an hour. Looked up the law, spoke to both of them at length., etc etc.

ADDED:

I.feel.the same!

We don't know what really transpired with either of them from Aug 13 to Aug 24. She was alone in SLC (from 17th to 23rd) while he was supposedly home moving their stuff out of storage to his parents house and according to Cassie he was helping his father do that? (Not, his father helping him.) And Cassie was familiar enough that she stated it wasn't a storage unit, but it was a storage "locker". Where the L's had room at their home for all the kids stuff, in August, apparently there was not room for it in June? After Gabby was found deceased, her mom wanted to know where Gabby's belongings were. She seemed to believe that Brian had taken them to his parents home. For her to think that, I am presuming that that's what Gabby told her. But, according to local LE, they are not aware of anything of Gabby's being at the Laundrie home. As far as we know, NS still has not had G's belongings returned to her. What did Brian do with Gabby's stuff? And why did moving their storage stuff take almost a week to accomplish? And why was he summoned to help HIS FATHER do it, anyway? What else was going on on his FLA hiatus? And what was Gabby doing for that week? Lots of questions, no answers. JMO

BBM

I suppose we don't 100% know for sure that GP was alone in the time that BL was supposedly back in FL.

MOO

I agree. I do affirm that much more education and training for domestic violence should happen. But I think these LEOs were at somewhat of a loss, because I assume, based on statistics, that they truly thought they were going to find Brian in the blame here. But Gabby's and Brian's stories did line up.

Once they could determine there were no drugs or alcohol...... they could have just sent them on their way.

And quite honestly, I feel they devoted a good deal of time to this.

BBM

Your post reminded me of something I was going to ask a while back but totally forgot...

I can't actually remember what checks they did in terms of substances. I remember GP saying they don't drink, but did they do any tests or checks on either of them to determine if they were under the influence of drugs or alcohol, or was a van search carried out?

Maybe with BL explaining that the reason he hit the curb was because GP grabbed the wheel, they didn't think it necessary to further investigate his bad driving?

MOO

Do you know if the identification by dental records is being questioned? I thought it was confirmed. Why would they still be looking for generic evidentiary material? Maybe there is some point of law where identification via DNA trumps that completed via record comparison? I have no idea, maybe I’m missing a point of why the quest for an answer about DNA analysis has become so important.

In terms of identifying evidence from the crime scene (Gabby's), LE would want BL's DNA to compare against any human evidence they found there. There may be blood, other body fluids, skin cells, etc.

To Note:

If a post is removed, all posts that quote that post, and the subsequent quoted replies are removed in the clean up process. If your post was removed with reason being “quoted post removed”, it simply is a result of the above.

For example:
Tiff posted: The car is red.
X quoted it saying: I heard it had a sunroof.
Y then quoted X saying: There was a man driving it

If Tiff’s post is removed, X’s reply and Y’s subsequent reply are removed.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
With whom do you speculate she may have been? jmo

I have no idea. My point was more along the lines of we don't know for certain she was alone the entire time for that week in SLC.

Maybe she had friends online that she chatted with to keep her company whilst BL was gone?

Building up a SM platform tends to involve a lot of interaction with followers, and often you'll have people say, "Oh I'm passing through that area in a day or so", and you'll talk about shared experiences or locations that you both might have been to, plus exchange knowledge, tips on different areas for camping etc.

It's not completely unheard of for people to meet up, either. From the footage I've seen of Gabby on her SM she seems gregarious, friendly and social, so she might have met up with one of her followers whom she chatted to regularly.

MOO

I have no idea. My point was more along the lines of we don't know for certain she was alone the entire time for that week in SLC.

Maybe she had friends online that she chatted with to keep her company whilst BL was gone?

Building up a SM platform tends to involve a lot of interaction with followers, and often you'll have people say, "Oh I'm passing through that area in a day or so", and you'll talk about shared experiences or locations that you both might have been to, plus exchange knowledge, tips on different areas for camping etc.

It's not completely unheard of for people to meet up, either. From the footage I've seen of Gabby on her SM she seems gregarious, friendly and social, so she might have met up with one of her followers whom she chatted to regularly.

MOO
OK. So, alone but online and may have had a visitor. jmo

OK. So, alone but online and may have had a visitor. jmo

Yeah, possibly. I certainly don't think we can rule that out.

Some might say, 'Ohhh but we would have heard about it if she had met up with someone whilst BL was away', but not necessarily.
  1. That person might have come forward to LE, and LE haven't disclosed that info to the public
  2. That person might not think their meeting with GP was of any significance therefore hasn't come forward
  3. That person specifically hasn't come forward for a reason
All JMO

Last edited:
In terms of identifying evidence from the crime scene (Gabby's), LE would want BL's DNA to compare against any human evidence they found there. There may be blood, other body fluids, skin cells, etc.
Thanks. I did not realize Gabby’s murder was the reason for DNA analysis. I thought the processing was within the boundaries of BL missing person case.
Iirc the parents of BL already gave DNA material to the FBI to compare to evidence found during the analysis of the murder case. The anthro would not need DNA directly from BL’s recovered remains. Moo

ADDED:

I agree with this...with the unfortunate exception that when it came down to it, they assessed the situation wrong, both as to who was the aggressor and as to the seriousness of the situation. And by "seriousness of the situation," I don't mean they should have known where this was going," but rather the seriousness of any physical fighting that leaves marks, as well as (ultimately, at least in one officer's case) chalking it up to "b****** be crazy, amirite.".

It is true that sometimes people get carried away and one person is super- emotional while the other simply doesn't know what yo do with that or how to de-escalate. It's also true that LE isn't here to solve our relationship issues. I also believe that LE is generally not looking to give "nice" people just having a bad moment arrest records*. However, they collectively decided not to look too hard at the possibility that this might have been an abuse situation, instead more or less accepting at face value what GP and BL said. Which, as many know, is not always the true dynamic or situation.

* There is absolutely privilege attached to being young, white, attractive, compliant, criminal-record-free, and of some level of economic means. Those qualities will very often get you put in the "nice" bucket and treated more softly than those without them.

To Note:

If a post is removed, all posts that quote that post, and the subsequent quoted replies are removed in the clean up process. If your post was removed with reason being “quoted post removed”, it simply is a result of the above.

For example:
Tiff posted: The car is red.
X quoted it saying: I heard it had a sunroof.
Y then quoted X saying: There was a man driving it

If Tiff’s post is removed, X’s reply and Y’s subsequent reply are removed.

Hope that helps.
Thanks for the explanation! I know you mods already do a ton of work but I'm wondering if it would be possible to tell why the original post was removed as it may be possible to continue without that particular vein being followed. I know the original poster is told why the post is removed but the responders don't know why.

I wonder if the rest of the immediate area was searched for other remains?

Also - I am guessing he was already dead and in the water before maybe an alligator came by and finished him off?

Sorry if this sounds graphic, but my experience around gators is that when they are awake and in a nature preserve like Mabry Carlton, they tend to be shy by nature. If you're sitting on a bench by a lake and you're very quiet, it's not uncommon for a gator to surface to see what's going on. More often than not, they submerge again.

Unless BL did something less than wise, or purely by accident, like step on a gator while wading through wetlands deeper than 6", I'd have to think he was dead by then. MOO

Or if they're out and walking around, they're usually minding their own business. I've seen them cross tennis courts and golf courses while I was playing. Smart money says hang back, let them do their thing, and they will do the same.

I agree with this...with the unfortunate exception that when it came down to it, they assessed the situation wrong, both as to who was the aggressor and as to the seriousness of the situation. And by "seriousness of the situation," I don't mean they should have known where this was going," but rather the seriousness of any physical fighting that leaves marks, as well as (ultimately, at least in one officer's case) chalking it up to "b****** be crazy, amirite.".

It is true that sometimes people get carried away and one person is super- emotional while the other simply doesn't know what yo do with that or how to de-escalate. It's also true that LE isn't here to solve our relationship issues. I also believe that LE is generally not looking to give "nice" people just having a bad moment arrest records*. However, they collectively decided not to look too hard at the possibility that this might have been an abuse situation, instead more or less accepting at face value what GP and BL said. Which, as many know, is not always the true dynamic or situation.

* There is absolutely privilege attached to being young, white, attractive, compliant, criminal-record-free, and of some level of economic means. Those qualities will very often get you put in the "nice" bucket and treated more softly than those without them.

I wonder if the fact that they weren't local factored in as well? Even though it seems like court appearances would have been online it still takes up court time.

Yeah, possibly. I certainly don't think we can rule that out.

Some might say, 'Ohhh but we would have heard about it if she had met up with someone whilst BL was away', but not necessarily.
  1. That person might have come forward to LE and LE haven't disclosed that info to the public
  2. That person might not think their meeting with GP was of any significance therefore hasn't come forward
  3. That person specifically hasn't come forward for a reason
All JMO

While in SLC during his News Nation special, Brian Entin mentioned that Gabby had eaten at the adjacent Perkins Restaurant. Maybe she met other campers/van lifers with whom she became acquainted. In Brian's absence, I would not have expected Gabby to spend all of her waking moments in her guest room. GP was bubbly, energetic, and very personable. If she met other campers, she probably enjoyed chatting with them about their travel experiences. JMO

Last edited:

Wouldn't LE already have obtained BL's DNA from his personal possessions retrieved from the Laundrie home though? Hairbrush, toothbrush, clothing etc?

I'm not scientifically minded so it might not be possible to get DNA from hair etc. I'm just curious.

While in SLC during his News Nation special, Brian Entin mentioned that Gabby had eaten at the adjacent Perkins Restaurant. Maybe she met other campers/van lifers with whom she became acquainted. In Brian's absence, I would not have expected Gabby to spend all of waking moments in her guest room. GP was bubbly, energetic, and very personable. If she met other campers, she probably enjoyed chatting with them about their travel experiences. JMO
Maybe the most enjoyable part of her trip....socially, at least. jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members