Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 *road trip w/bf*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Traveling across country visiting parks & living out of a van is a heck of a way to really get to know someone. IMO

They travelled by car to the west coast a year prior to this, so they were no strangers to closed quarters.

Van life is a big hit with the millennials. Since COVID restricted international travel, many now travel by van throughout the US (like someone upthread mentioned, Kara and Nate) and I follow another young Australian couple with a baby traveling Australia in a van.

Last edited:
Devils advocate but if the BF DID do something to her wouldn't it be likely that he would ditch the van and make a run for it? He would have at least a couple week head start and LE would probably think (for a while anyway) that he was missing too. Coming home WITH the van seems like a not guilty thing to do.
If they broke up and went separate ways, he would likely not contact the family assuming that she would do that.
Giving him the benefit of the doubt-it seems more likely to me that they split up and she got lost or some harm befell her apart from him and now he's facing a <modsnip> storm not of his doing.
I know that his not cooperating with LE casts doubt on this...

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen a couple people mention it may have been a necessity due to wildfire smoke. I live in SLC--as I remember, it may have been a little smokey the last week of August but not bad. If you look up historical data we were below 50 ppm so technically good air quality. I also don't remember any announcements of campsites or anything like that closing due to air quality, and there are numerous campsites within a 30-45 minute radius of SLC. Even when our air quality is horrible life goes about like normal here. I went on a short trip and stayed in a cabin the first weekend of August when we had over 100 ppm.

All of this is really to say--based off the mom's comment that she "didn't know where the relationship was going" when she last spoke to Gabby, I think it may be more likely they decided to rent a hotel room if they were fighting and needed to take some space away from each other.
The hotel makes sense to me. If they left July 2 & dad bought them Uber food in SLC Aug 21, they’d been van-camping 6 weeks. At that point a shower, normal bed, air-conditioning & nice meal would be welcome. Backpackers on Appalachian Trail or PCT, etc take hotel breaks to recoup. By itself, seems normal. Really want to know what snapped in Tetons. Jmho

I live in SLC as well. I thought the smoke was horrible until just a few days ago. The more wind we had the more smoke blew in. Remember how weird it was we had all that rain a few weeks back and it was still really smokey? It has been miserable all summer. It's been all over the news.

Oh yeah, it's been absolutely horrendous this summer, I'm not denying that at all. It sucks how intermittent bad air quality is a year round thing now between the wildfires and inversion.

But, I don't think that last week of August was when it was at its worst/wouldn't been bad enough to prevent outdoor recreation or staying at a campsite in one of the canyons for just one night barring one of them had asthma or something like that. Taking the mom's comment into account that she felt she "didn't know where relationship was going" after she spoke to her the day they left SLC, I think it's definitely a possibility they got the room because they needed space from each other.

Devils advocate but if the BF DID do something to her wouldn't it be likely that he would ditch the van and make a run for it? He would have at least a couple week head start and LE would probably think (for a while anyway) that he was missing too. Coming home WITH the van seems like a not guilty thing to do.
If they broke up and went separate ways, he would likely not contact the family assuming that she would do that.
Giving him the benefit of the doubt-it seems more likely to me that they split up and she got lost or some harm befell her apart from him and now he's facing a SH**storm not of his doing.

I think its the whole not contacting anyone to let someone know that she is missing is what casts doubt on this theory. Then driving all the way to Florida and nothing. Idk just seems very suspicious

Giving him the benefit of the doubt-it seems more likely to me that they split up and she got lost or some harm befell her apart from him and now he's facing a SH**storm not of his doing.
I know that his not cooperating with LE cast doubt on this...
bbm
If BL doesn't want to speak to her family that's his right.
Eta : Not being very thoughtful if this is the case, imo. :(

What was their (BL & Gabby's fam.) relationship like before ?
Cordial ?
Strained ?
However, it would help him immensely to just speak to LE and let them know what happened as far as he knows.
Eta : I mean if he really doesn't know & is innocent-- as in she left on her own or whatever -- he just needs to let LE know when he last saw her and where.

Did she suddenly leave at night without telling him anything and he felt betrayed ?
So, somewhat miffed, he headed back home ?

Just curious if Gabby's fam. had loaned them money ?
Thinking out loud.
Do not want to judge, but it's sad that answers seem to be slow in coming.
IMO.

Last edited:
If nothing nefarious happened in the van (or he thinks he cleaned it well enough) running home to Mom and Dad in the van and refusing to cooperate sure smacks of guilt to me. Doesn't sound like a kid independent enough to go on the run. Instead head home to Mommy and Daddy and lawyer up.

They travelled by car to the west coast a year prior to this, so they were no strangers to closed quarters.

Van life is a big hit with the millennials. Since COVID restricted international travel, many now travel by van throughout the US (like someone upthread mentioned, Kate and Nate) and I follow another young Australian couple with a baby traveling Australia in a van.

Yes, there are many couples who have documented their life on the road. You see them setting up their vehicle for the adventure. There's a large following on how to save space, pack smart, etc. in converting your vehicle into a live in/ travel in space. I like the idea and it might be a once in a life time adventure for many. Live with less, appreciate more.

What we don't see, in many cases, is the difficulty of maintaining this and the stress of it (I'm sure not in all cases). What we see on social media often times is the high light reels of someone's life. Being with someone 24/7 could be challenging for many couples, even the strongest. IMO

I think its the whole not contacting anyone to let someone know that she is missing is what casts doubt on this theory. Then driving all the way to Florida and nothing. Idk just seems very suspicious
Right, but he would not know that she was missing if they broke up. He would just assume that she wasn't contacting him because they were done. Her family didn't even know she was missing for several days.

If nothing nefarious happened in the van (or he thinks he cleaned it well enough) running home to Mom and Dad in the van and refusing to cooperate sure smacks of guilt to me. Doesn't sound like a kid independent enough to go on the run. Instead head home to Mommy and Daddy and lawyer up.
Even if something did happen in that van, I could see it playing out the same way.

bbm
Agreed.
For some reason I think it's irresponsible.
But, some people march to the beat of their own drum and are more private about their decisions.
What would seem like the responsible thing to do, to us -- might not be the way other people handle things.

Sometimes young people are wildly thoughtless and don't mean to be.
Free birds, so to speak.

That being said , trying to think of a plausible scenario for Gabby to go missing and the resulting silence from her fiance is straining my credulity; I'll be honest.
It's like, what the bleep ?

If she was my relative and I couldn't find her -- I'd want answers from BL , and right now !
It sounds from what we know that she took care to keep in contact with her parents ?
I think that's what makes me think this case is scary and hinky.
Imo.

OK-just trying to see things from another perspective. Obviously there is much that is not known and it seems likely that he is a baddy but, there is at least some room (however slight) for other scenarios. Especially this early. I realize that statistically, it is unlikely.

I watched the video and saw nothing negative that others are seeing.
I saw a very artsy video made....and two young people in love and having a super fun adventure (something id love to do myself.)
I saw zero controlling aspect of him. She seemed way more dominate in the relationship than him. Way more outgoing and spunky. (none of that a negative trait).

As far as everything else, it looks bad for the boyfriend and I have little hope for her :( ....Ive followed enough cases that I can only look in one direction with what is known. Sitting back and watching for more info to come out.

Ok I’m not caught up in the thread so apologies if someone already said this.

but… what was his plan for all this? Just come home without his partner and go “oh jeez, I must of forgot! She could be anywhere”. Did he not think people would notice he lost an entire human woman? Lol

Right, but he would not know that she was missing if they broke up. He would just assume that she wasn't contacting him because they were done. Her family didn't even know she was missing for several days.
If they were in their home state of Florida or NY (respectively) I could see that being plausible. Leaving her in a state she is unfamiliar with and by herself all the while heading home to Florida is incredibly cruel and idk just rubs me the wrong way. I hope Im wrong

This article states they were leaving Tetons headed to Yellowstone but that Gabby never made it there. I wonder how they know this for sure? Gas station videos? Ranger station video? Highway cameras? Phone pings?
If I'm not mistaken, there is an entrance gate on the highway between Tetons and Yellowstone. In summer that is the most logical route and would have video surveillance. My assumption is the van never crossed into Yellowstone. MOO.

If they were in their home state of Florida or NY (respectively) I could see that being plausible. Leaving her in a state she is unfamiliar with and by herself all the while heading home to Florida is incredibly cruel and idk just rubs me the wrong way. I hope Im wrong
I thought she moved to FL to be with the boyfriend last year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nothing67