Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Brian left Gabby in the Fairfield Inn in Salt Lake City and flew back home to Florida from August 17 to the 23 to help his father empty out a storage unit where he and Gabby had their things.

According to Schmidt, Brian's father offered to let them keep their belongings at his house so they wouldn't have to pay for the storage unit.

Last text message missing 'van-life woman' Gabby Petitio sent to her mother is revealed | Daily Mail Online
Am I understanding this correctly, he took the van to the Airport left her at the INN without transportation for 5 days or so? Why wouldn't she drive him to the airport unless he was concerned she would just leave without him. IMO

Am I understanding this correctly, he took the van to the Airport left her at the INN without transportation for 5 days or so? Why wouldn't she drive him to the airport unless he was concerned she would just leave without him. IMO
We don't know this. People were just theorizing why she would have called for an Uber Eats instead of just taking the van to get food.

Do we have any reason to think that he drove the van to the airport and left it there? I haven’t seen anything.

With his most recent statement, Brian’s lawyer essentially dared LE to produce some evidence if they want to talk to him. Unfortunately LE doesn’t have anything to link Brian to, and may not ever. LE seems to think Brian will have all the answers while Brian’s lawyer seemed to imply their focus (on his client) is and has been in the wrong place. Sure lawyers are naturally smug but I have an awful feeling he might be onto something. For Gabby’s sake, I just hope LE is following up on other leads just as hard. It seems weird that they haven’t done any ground searches. The little that has been done was through a private entity at the expense of her family.

And yet instead of being held responsible, he basically just blames her for being overly emotional and making him drive erratically. (Again, this seems like gaslighting, IMO)
There wasn't much in his statement where it seemed like he was blaming her or making her seem overly emotional. They both separately confirmed that she was suffering mentally at that moment, he confirmed that he also suffers but that hers is more serious. Nothing in either of their statement seems accusatory or blaming towards Gabby though. It actually seemed pretty matter of fact, which could have just been the way it was typed up by the officer.

Just a few notes.
  • BL could have taken an Uber to the airport.
  • Situation seems to be emotionally immature people setting high expectations for a cross-country trip and assuming it will turn out to be easy and lucrative like other van life youtubers channels they watched.
  • They did a similar trip the year before in her Nissan Sentra but likely stayed in hotels as they did not have a van (maybe tent-camped) but another year in a relationship can be very different than the previous and 24/7 in a small van can exacerbate small issues into large ones.
  • They are 22 and 23.
  • The couple had been together for two years but dated or knew each other in high school. They said they were engaged - that's pretty serious. They had been living with his parents, so I can see his parents flying BL home if he was upset over a broken engagement. I can see BL flying back if they decided to reconcile. Then a few more nights of arguing as the relationship finally ends. I speak from experience here.
  • GP could have told him to take the van and leave, she was sick of the whole thing. And walked off. I could see BL being exhausted after going through the emotional wringer and just getting in the van and driving off without really considering the consequences.
  • Completely normal people fight in cars and one person sometimes gets mad enough to get out and walk. And the other person is mad enough to let them. This can happen without one person killing the other or one person committing suicide.
  • MOO
I echo so many of these thoughts. I feel so much for GP's family, but I can also understand why BL's lawyer would tell him not to talk at all. It's a smart move if this goes to trial from a defense standpoint.

All his attorney needed to say is that his client has told LE everything he knows about Gabby's last whereabouts/plans. The way he phrases it continues to make BL appear like the world's worst rat. What gives?

E_WgdKRVgAAlTlr

1:04 PM · Sep 15, 2021
a good attorney would never say that. a good attorney effectively says nothing at all.

I don't see anything in that post that states BL drove the van to the airport. He could have taken the hotel shuttle, uber, or maybe GP came him a ride.

I’m finally caught up.
I think something happened the 25th between Ogden and GTNP. I think they need to focus the search in between those areas.
I know there is doubt about the sunflower pic in Ogden but there was one day when it rained and the sky was all blue and clear. I’ll see if I can pinpoint the actual date.
Edit: I can’t. I thought I took a picture but I guess not.

All his attorney needed to say is that his client has told LE everything he knows about Gabby's last whereabouts/plans. The way he phrases it continues to make BL appear like the world's worst rat. What gives?

E_WgdKRVgAAlTlr

1:04 PM · Sep 15, 2021
Unfortunately, that's not true. He hasn't, and so far, will not speak to them AT ALL. Even to confirm where he last saw her.

Gabby owned a van. Why would she need to hitchhike?

Mere speculation on my part, since she seemed so frightened that he wouldn't let her back in the van, HER van I know, but he was behind the wheel. Her overwrought reaction, climbing through the occupied driver's side window and crawling over BL, makes me think he may have locked her out before. Leading to my conjecture that there is the slimmest chance he did it again after the police incident, and apparently hitchhiking with strangers is a done thing in Moab. But as I said in my earlier post, that is not what I actually believe happened.

Last edited:
I know that BL has been told by his attorney to plead the fifth. But if he is in fact innocent of any wrongdoing, why would he not assist LE.

The wolves are at his door.

His lawyer is right that the intimate partners are almost always the prime suspect, but cooperation is far less suspicious than silence and stonewalling.

If there was any chance that GB was alive, you'd think her fiance would be pioneering the search for her. Desperately pleading for anyone to help.

21 days of silence. 4 days since her official missing persons report.

Where are you Gabby? I hope you find your way home, and give us all the answers.

Always IMO

Just a quick note about the longer redacted section towards the bottom from GP's statement. I am JUST THEORIZING based on the contents of the reports, but my guess is that it says:

"Gabrielle told me that she suffers from BIPOLAR DISORDER TYPE 2 with ANXIETY. She continued, because of her BIPOLAR and ANXIETY, combined with arguments..."

JMO MOO IMO Just a random guess. Has NOTHING to do with something foul being done to her, I just keep seeing people throw guesses out, and these seem the most in-line with the total contents of the reports.
I had the same thought.

We do not know the fine details of their anxieties or potential mental health struggles, what has been diagnosed, what hasn't been, what has been but was not accurately assessed, etc.

But while we are conjecturing here...I will say there is a sharp and scary difference between even a serious case of anxiety and something such as a bipolar/manic episode. And *if* that were to ever come into play, that turns everything upside down and all rationale quickly goes out the window. I say this with certainty as someone who went through this with a loved one for a prolonged period of time and saw both ends of the low and high spectrum. I have extreme doubt, especially as young as they are and having already been traveling together under extremely exhausting and confined spaces for months, that one of them could realize, interpret, and adequately deal with a first-time full blown nuclear mental health episode in their partner. It is a Herculean task for a dedicated couple who are not off the grid, and have access to resources and medical help if necessary, and I know that from experience. Merely DETECTING what is happening in your loved one is hard enough!

By all accounts including the incident report from LE, the conditions were more than ripe for an event (of any kind) that could not be de-escalated. In regards to the LE report and Christopher's statement that he "feared the worst" - if there by chance was a mental episode at play, I don't doubt that it appeared that way to the witness. A manic episode is not a few firecrackers going off, it is an entire bomb.

I'm sorry to repeat this but I'd really like to understand how far US LE can go without BL's cooperation. Can anyone with legal experience advise?

I'm not familiar with US law - but I have some severe worries about him being lawyered up. If he takes the 5th and refuses to cooperate at all will LE be able to make any progress at all? Can LE get his phone records and tracking without having any direct evidence of a crime - apart from him clearly being a POI? Will they be able to get the phone tracking evidence without evidence of probable cause? Will they be able to question his parents? Help me out US lawyers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bluestlamb