Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #32

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't want this to get lost in this fast moving thread, so I'm posting again. I wasn't here in the beginning, so maybe someone who was can tell me if this has been addressed or do we need to update the tineline?

Depends on how the text was sent. My iphone broke for a week this year and I sent texts via my macbook and ipad as the facetime was connected. So the device may have not been operational, but texts could still theoretically be sent from the number/account. So it is plausible that the dates do not add up and phone not operational, yet texts still received. I have no idea, other than phones what equipment they had in terms of laptops or iphones.

I think you'd get very short odds now he is dead if this was open to bets I'm afraid...I just dont think it's credible he could evade the US authorities that long whilst being alive.

I think the possibilities are now pretty limited. He's not smart enough to move around without being spotted and I don't buy that he's any kind of survivalist for a second.

I think either
  1. He's dead
  2. He's holed up in some improvised spider-hole, an outbuilding, boat in storage, that has nothing to do with the parents, with very limited supplies, and no way of getting more, and getting desperate.
  3. He's in some safe-ish location that was prepared by him and the parents during the supposed camping trip, probably with a fair amount of supplies, but still feeling like a trapped rat and starting to realise the game is up
Point being he just isn't smart enough to evade detection on the move.

A few things have snapped in to focus for me over the last couple days:

1) The incident report called in by the Laundries on Sept 10 involving LP's father. This is coincident with when her mother became worried enough to try to file a missing persons report. My guess is that her mother called her father in distress at that point, and with the Laundries not taking calls from anyone in LP's family, her father decided to drive by the house. Seeing the van in the driveway is when the Petitos knew in their guts that something was very, very, very wrong. Her father may even have knocked or rang the doorbell, but definitely would have called and told them that he was not accepting no word from them anymore. He likely threatened them with some sort of consequence if they didn't return his calls. JMO.

2) I don't think that it's a coincidence that her parents passed the panic threshold on the weekend of Sept. 11th. For those of us who are from NY and who were alive when that happened, the 20th anniversary loomed large. Almost all of us know someone who was killed, or know someone who escaped the towers, or know someone whose aunt died, etc. It was a very emotional time. Everything was a bit distracting in the lead-up that week. Lots of people were glued to their TVs. I think that in the days leading up, both parents went from being puzzled to worried to full-on panic, and were spurred into action by all of the emotion of the whole week. They may also have expected to hear from her at the latest, around them, because a lot of NY people check in with loved ones around the anniversaries of 9/11.

3) Based on the indictment saying that he criming in WY on or around Sept 30, I think both hitchhiking stories are true, and that he got back to the van sometime around 7-7:30. I think he probably used her ATM card in Colter Village, where he probably stocked up on a few provisions at the general store, took a shower to make sure to get rid of any physical evidence, and got a bunch of cash. Once back at the van, he made his plan to drive back, plotted his route, packed, washed things down as best he could, made sure that there was no evidence immediately around the van, and left Grand Teton. Then he went someplace within Wyoming, probably Jackson Hole since he'd already been there, and gassed up the van.

4) I think he took a more northern route home, driving through Illinois, because that's one of the routes suggested by google maps, and there was weather in the Gulf and South.

5) I believe he would have taken as much money as he could out of her account on each day that he had the card because of daily limits, which wouldn't allow him to drain it entirely.

All of the above is conjecture, none of it startling insights, but they are just things I've been mulling over as things have come to light over the last couple of days.

All of the above is JMO/IMHO.
In regards to your number 1, it's been reported and confirmed that the public service call by police in connection with the Petito's on Sept 10th was the police going to the Laundrie home and taking Gabby's van and the release of the van by the Petito family to LE to be searched.

I mean if he was smart, he would have driven that van to the SLC airport and had two weeks in the Costa Rican jungle before anyone knew they were missing.

So I don't think this was well planned at all. I think something happened - he flew into a rage, he heard voices - and he just coldly killed her and left her for dead. I don't see any other universe where you take her van (which really eliminates the argument that she drove off into the sunset) and go back to your parent's house (who will ask questions??). Something is really off.

I have started to think maybe after he killed her he realized what he did and became suicidal. Maybe he figured he would have a week or two with his parents to give them a last good memory of him and then off to the swap.

Your first sentence is spot on. He could have made it seem as if some stranger had killed them both and then dumped the van before escaping.

Depends on how the text was sent. My iphone broke for a week this year and I sent texts via my macbook and ipad as the facetime was connected. So the device may have not been operational, but texts could still theoretically be sent from the number/account.
Search warrant specifically states 27th was last communication

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210924-074334_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20210924-074334_Drive.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 15
Depends on how the text was sent. My iphone broke for a week this year and I sent texts via my macbook and ipad as the facetime was connected. So the device may have not been operational, but texts could still theoretically be sent from the number/account.

Gabby also had an iPad - super easy to send a text from as well.

I think the possibilities are now pretty limited. He's not smart enough to move around without being spotted and I don't buy that he's any kind of survivalist for a second.

I think either
  1. He's dead
  2. He's holed up in some improvised spider-hole, an outbuilding, boat in storage, that has nothing to do with the parents, with very limited supplies, and no way of getting more, and getting desperate.
  3. He's in some safe-ish location that was prepared by him and the parents during the supposed camping trip, probably with a fair amount of supplies, but still feeling like a trapped rat and starting to realise the game is up
Point being he just isn't smart enough to evade detection on the move.

I think you're right. He isn't this 'mastermind fugitive' he's being framed as. He's a 23 year old who freaked out.

His parents aren't wealthy, he can't run for long. I believe he has killed himself in the reserve.

Correct - if the government gives you immunity for your testimony, which does happen, you have no basis to invoke your 5th amendment rights since your testimony cannot be held against you. Refusing to cooperate after that when called as a witness can be considered contempt of court.
So, parents would automatically be granted immunity if hauled before a federal grand jury???

Search warrant specifically states 27th was last communication

I do think that’s an error. Her mother has also specifically stated that she received the 8/30 text from Gabby’s number. I saw a screenshot of it in some video - the punctuation/capitalization was “no service, in Yosemite” .

I vividly remember the screenshot. It was just of the single text message.

What I don’t understand about that is why he didn’t just play that card when he got back. Why not have them drive him to the van and be all “OmG she’s not here where is she???” And have them as a witness? Idk
If he would have done that, I think it would have showed him to be a psychopath. I really dont think he is. It doesnt appear that he did much to protect himself really. He didnt even hide her body. His big attempt to create an image of himself as a normal camper was ruined when he got agitated and tried to jump out of the car. Probably driving home was the best he could pull off. JMO

I'm sure they have some evidence this is where they need to search. At this point I'm not sure if they are looking for him, or something that can nail him.

I think you're right. I think they may have specifically limited the indictment to 8/30 to eliminate any argument that she was alive and gave him permission to retrieve the funds.
Its likely that they just have video of him using it on those days without her present. I don't think they really care about being able to prove this charge in court. As others have said, this is just a means of arresting and holding him when he is found. They may or may not have enough evidence to arrest him on a charge in relation to her death, but once they play that card, it starts a clock of procedural and evidentiary showings about the murder/manslaughter prosecution that you don't want to start until it is necessary and you have all your ducks in a row.

I think you're right. I think they may have specifically limited the indictment to 8/30 to eliminate any argument that she was alive and gave him permission to retrieve the funds.

Yes, that makes sense. If she's still alive on the 29th that would also mean that BL went through with his threat to take Gabby's phone. Probably not, but the fact that it's a possibility just shows what a tiresome piece of work that guy is.

According to the search warrant, the last communication from her phone was the 27th
It doesn't say the last communication from her phone, it says the last communication from the subject (meaning Gabby). Everyone including LE knows at this point that the text about no service in Yosemite wasn't sent by Gabby. But (someone correct me if I'm wrong) it must have been sent from her phone -- if it was sent from a different phone, Gabby's mom would've pointed that out, right? "I got some weird text about Yosemite from some other number, not Gabby."

if prosecutor gives witness immunity from charges, will they then have to answer? They may choose to just forget about aid and abetment charges against parents and go for BL full force. Charges against parents like that do not go well anyways. They didn’t even bother with them when they knew it was happening with Anthony’s because they felt chance of conviction so low. And it killed them in getting a conviction
No one is obligated to speak, even to authorities, even in a murder investigation. We are all born with Constitutional rights, and one of those rights is the right to free speech, but you also have the right to "clam up". You cannot be compelled to speak. Even if you are brought into a court of law, you can decide not to speak. No one can drug you, or make you open your mouth. Ever. Now by choosing not to speak you may lose the ability to convey your side of the story or correct discrepancies, and you may be viewed as guilty, but no one can force you to speak. If immunity is put on the table it may make it more attractive to speak, but putting immunity on the table doesn't negate anyone's constitutional rights.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FridayCrimeClub