Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #60

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
@Jurisprudence, in order for LE to subpoena phone records, do they also have to go through the court? I wonder if this is a request that's in progress. I know when I call service providers to get status updates there's a different option for LE requests to select for status updates.
IMO they need a warrant to obtain not only the device contents, but the provider data as well. Could be wrong. But I would think they need to know the provider. And, this is the issue I've been raising: If they all got new phones with a new provider this would have significantly slowed down LE's efforts. But, by now, I would suspect that they have been able to find out exactly which provider they did have. Unfortunately, it's a month+ later. MOO

Or maybe they knew destroying the phone would buy BL more run time. Warrants for phone data delays things quite a bit imo.
Part of me is afraid that GPS phone and BL's phone are lost causes and were tossed along the way. Anther part of me thinks, absolutely not. They're on him, wherever he is.

Gabby Petito autopsy: Wyoming coroner to give update Tuesday

To add:
Salt Lake City-based private investigator Jason Jenson, who visited the scene where Petito's remains were discovered over the weekend, told Fox News Digital that he believes WY coroner Brent Blue will also discuss the results of a post-mortum toxicology test, which detects drugs in a person's system. Jenson added, however, that he also believes Petito was not using drugs at the time of her death.
Well finally. I hope we can get more answers.
And I hope this means the family can have her remains back now?
Does anyone know? Or are they still being held?

What happened to Gabby Petito? | WFLA

Interesting bit I didn't realize until today, FBI didn't actually get BL's phone until 9/29 according to WFLA, which ironically is the same day SB confirmed he bought the phone on 9/4.

This just reaffirms my belief that SB only gives dates that can or will be later confirmed. It also confirms that the Laundries are not volunteering information to LE, but they're not withholding it if confronted with it.

Just as a point of reference, 9/30 was the second FBI raid. Think that came from whatever they found in the phone?
I could be mistaken, but I thought it's been discussed here that LE does not have either Gabby's or Brian's prior phones. The phone they obtained from Brian was the phone he purchased supposed with his mother on 9/4 or 9/14, depending on which article you read. I don't think they have their phones from the trip, but I could be wrong.

The most troubling to me regarding BL’s parents, is that they accepted no calls, texts or any information from Gabby’s parents who were frantically trying to find out where both Brian & Gabby were? Then, her Dad goes to the house and her van is in their driveway! The Cops come and are handed a business card for their Attorney. This doesn’t add up unless they knew or were highly suspicious their son had committed a crime!

When Petito’s mother, Nichole Schmidt, reported her missing to Suffolk County Police in New York, she said she last spoke to her daughter at approximately 7 a.m. on Aug. 30. She said Petito was last seen in Grand Teton National Park, and listed Laundrie as a possible companion.”

I’m assuming this is in reference to the August 30 “No service in Yosemite” text.

Brian Laundrie manhunt: Gabby Petito reported missing one month ago
Wonder if LE tracked this text pinging from somewhere around the Wyoming/Nebraska border, because then I'd be more sure of the Aug. 29th 11pm Jackson gas fill-up story.

Edit: or farther west in WY still due to MST.

Last edited:
Wow, do we know what time the text was sent? Bc for investigators to say this, if they did, and if it wasn't just some analysts, leads me to believe that they have actually determined a window for her TIME of death (and this would be a very encouraging sign that they got a lot from the autopsy and crime scene investigation).

This little line, if accurate, could be extremely meaningful. MOO
I'm thinking it was 7 am.

"When Petito’s mother, Nichole Schmidt, reported her missing to Suffolk County Police in New York, she said she last spoke to her daughter at approximately 7 a.m. on Aug. 30. She said Petito was last seen in Grand Teton National Park, and listed Laundrie as a possible companion."

Maybe they did tell their son to get the **** out of their house. We don't know what was said between them. And I keep saying this, because I think it is critical: At the time BL left, Monday the 13th, BL had not been named a POI, nor charged with any crime.

Now what they did NOT do was return the Petitos' frantic phone calls, nor encourage their son to turn himself in, nor express their condolences to the Petito family once GP's body was discovered. And they didn't report BL missing for four days. So they have a lot to account for, IMHO, and I am certainly not going to condone any of it. I'm just saying, maybe they were in deep denial and truly did not believe their son capable of either the credit card fraud or, potentially, a homicide. JMHO
Very possible. LE confiscated the van on the 11th so the ball was rolling, LE involved and were not going to go away. I don’t think BL wanted to hang around and give them the chance to arrest him, he knew what was coming. I don’t think there are many parents (hope not) that think their child is capable of murder, I doubt that ever crossed their mind til they were forced to face that realization . MOO

Why? I'm not sure how CL could even do it...insure a vehicle belonging to his son's GF, under his business insurance. But even if he could, why would he take that chance? Statistically it doesn't sound like a great move to be financially liable re: a vehicle two young people plan to drive all over the country. Why expose his business to that risk? If there was an accident that exceeded the policy limits, wouldn't he and his company be named in a lawsuit?

JMO
It's complicated, and it can be done. But, it's really not germaine to the loss of GP.

The most troubling to me regarding BL’s parents, is that they accepted no calls, texts or any information from Gabby’s parents who were frantically trying to find out where both Brian & Gabby were? Then, her Dad goes to the house and her van is in their driveway! The Cops come and are handed a business card for their Attorney. This doesn’t add up unless they knew or were highly suspicious their son had committed a crime!
That's how I feel about it...no concern....because they were not worried about her safety or where she might be. They knew where she was...and that she already was dead. So, just turn off the phone, no need to answer. It was already done and not the primary concern.

IMO they need a warrant to obtain not only the device contents, but the provider data as well. Could be wrong. But I would think they need to know the provider. And, this is the issue I've been raising: If they all got new phones with a new provider this would have significantly slowed down LE's efforts. But, by now, I would suspect that they have been able to find out exactly which provider they did have. Unfortunately, it's a month+ later. MOO
Providers aren't hard to figure out as long as you have a phone number. You can find that on Westlaw People Map, surely FBI has access to similar things.

But I think it does take at least 30 days to get records, probably more right now given the workforce issues every industry is facing. I'm just not sure they've been requested because surely some news outlet would have picked that up by now if it was a court record.

Eta: I didn't mean that to come off rude. I just happened to think about PeopleMap.

Part of me is afraid that GPS phone and BL's phone are lost causes and were tossed along the way. Anther part of me thinks, absolutely not. They're on him, wherever he is.
I’m hoping much was backed up to cloud- maybe even from wifi at the Merry Piglets, if they had wifi. Can’t tell from the website.
About | Merry Piglets in Jackson, WY

Do you really think that no one would have seen Gabby the night of the 27th, all day and night of the 28 and all day of the 29th if she were alive during that time? With no phone and the keys to the van missing? Don't you think she would have asked for help, or at least borrowed someone's phone? I think he killed her on the evening of the 27th, maybe 6hours after the Merry Piglets hullabaloo, and that they probably fought about it all day. He was all bent out of shape and she was sad and embarrassed. jmo

Makes sense -- her "big mistake" was apologizing for him, as so many of us have agreed. Can you imagine how much that pizzed him off? BL thinking something like, "Who is she to apologize for me?"
IMO that was the match that started the fire in his head. He probably screamed at her all the way back to the campsite when they got back together in the van. And she had probably had it with him as well. SMH. I don't think he plotted to kill her days before that incident, but I do think he developed a slow burn, and the apology scene threw gasoline on it, so to speak. SMH.

With him in a most probable rage, she was no match for him when they really got into it. And any word she would have said -- and she probably had some words for him -- just spiked it, and IT was done. And, if he's still alive, he probably hasn't regretted any of it. He was The Big Man, ya know. JMHO.

I'm thinking it was 7 am.

"When Petito’s mother, Nichole Schmidt, reported her missing to Suffolk County Police in New York, she said she last spoke to her daughter at approximately 7 a.m. on Aug. 30. She said Petito was last seen in Grand Teton National Park, and listed Laundrie as a possible companion."

The text of the 27th is the one I want the time on. The one from the 30th was sent when he was already headed east across the country. 27th time may be a major clue to time of death. ( Prior to the text being sent) jmo

I could be mistaken, but I thought it's been discussed here that LE does not have either Gabby's or Brian's prior phones. The phone they obtained from Brian was the phone he purchased supposed with his mother on 9/4 or 9/14, depending on which article you read. I don't think they have their phones from the trip, but I could be wrong.
You are correct. I just wasn't aware that LE didn't have BL's new phone until 9/29. I must have missed the articles on that because the way I read SB's text on 9/29 was that the phone was old news to LE because they already had it, not that they had just received it, if that makes sense.

Wasn't the provider listed as T-Mobile in the warrant itself?

Last edited:
Dave Aronberg talking about the crime/fraud exception on News Nation, but this is not unknown to BL's atty. I would take that to the bank. MOO

This seems highly plausible. That would let him say, "No, don't answer, they're trying to get me into trouble by violating the no-contact order." He could say, "I'm going to load her stuff into the van so she and her dad can pick it up later." It wouldn't be surprising if he didn't want to talk about it, and wanted to go out on a hike by himself for a while.

I missed the first iteration of this idea, I think, or forgot about it in the chaos of threads.

I found the previous post:

Found Deceased - WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #58

It's complicated, and it can be done. But, it's really not germaine to the loss of GP.

But even if it could be done, would it be wise to do it? I don't see how. But if it could be done but was a really dumb thing to do yet CL did it anyway just to help out 'the kids," I guess that says something about him and his relationship with both his son and GP.
JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member