Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #67

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
New Yorker describes experience of BL look-alike:
“...Next thing I see is a bunch of guys with riot shields with ‘U.S. Marshals’ written on them,” Beckwith said. “Handguns pointed at my face.”
Bounty Hunting for Brian Laundrie in a Land of Look-Alikes

That's crazy!

US Marshalls shouldn't be breaking into hotel rooms and dragging innocent people out into the hall in their underwear. A little sleuthing of the person listed as having rented the room might have told them he wasn't their guy.

I think this needs to be put into perspective. DV killers usually aren't a threat to the general public.

If that Yosemite text to Gabby's mom was sent from Gabby's phone while BL was no where near a living Gabby, I think that's a good piece of circumstantial evidence. Same with the Stan texts. The texts would only go through when there *was* service, obviously.

So, if the phone travels out of Spread Creek at any point past the 29th, that's not good for BL, as Gabby never left. If her phone wasn't found right next to her, someone caused it to move elsewhere. And that would be true if her death was on the 27th - but the exact day of death wouldn't matter. It's the fact that she was murdered and then her body was left (while her phone was taken and used) that would matter.

Of course, there will also be pings and text and call records, IMO - lots of digital evidence in this one. Most like use of CC at gas stations, too. He didn't care - he brazenly went to an ATM or made a purchase where he could take out goods and cash totaling more than $1000 after Gabby was dead.

Then Big Yikes. Yikes. If I let my mind go that way, I can think of ALL kinds of ways that accomplices could make it look as if BL had been in the Preserve.

I wonder if on one of the search warrant visits to the Laundrie house (the one where they went in the camper) they were also looking for articles with the scent of the two parents. What if the reason ChL "cooperated" is because they said they traced a recent scent of his to that campsite area.

There would be so many false clues an accomplice could leave. What a terrible mess for LE.

I'm kind of doubting it. but something does seem to be making LE go back again and again to the preserve. Was it mostly NPPD this last time?

And the worst part is that Gabby's family may never get a chance for Justice. Let's pray it's not the case.
bbm
I also doubt it -- but wouldn't put it past anyone who refused to answer calls and texts from anguished parents about where their daughter was.
What if various soiled garments of Brians' were scattered around in the swamp preserve to make it look like he'd been there and discarded clothes while on the run ?
Very plausible.

Devil's advocate here : If someone thinks their adult child is innocent , then it stands to reason they would mislead LE and move heaven and earth to protect their offspring.
Nothing would be off the table for parents who believe in their son or daughter.
Again, devils' advocate.
Imo.

Last edited:
Expounding on your well thought out post, but what if
the search continues in the reserve, because of some 'perceived' possible planted evidence? I am not saying by whom, :rolleyes: but clearly the assistance and "help" that Mr Laundrie was able to provide last week caught my curiosity.

I thought that situation was incredibly unusual as well. I do wonder how the FBI perceives these people and their "help."

There was a case in Colorado where a guy killed his ex-fiance, one of the things that got him was his and her cell phones pinging off the same tower when they were supposedly in separate locations.

How cell phone analysis help convict Patrick Frazee of murder:
In a case lacking physical evidence of a crime, the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) relied on digital evidence to show something happened to Kelsey Berreth:
https://www.koaa.com/news/covering-...lysis-helped-convict-patrick-frazee-of-murder

https://koaa.com/news/seen-on-5/2019/03/07/warrants-reveal-cell-phone-evidence-in-frazee-case/

We do not know exactly what was in the voice mails or texts.

If my kid broke up with a SO, I’m not interested in talking to the parents. I stay out of it. I would not return such phone calls, until i talked to the kid and got some context.

The context here was very bad. It would have done no good to have called the Petitos and told them BL was gone with van and no Gabby snd he’s refusing to talk about it. The result would have been the same or worse. Better to call LE or you have a lawyer you know, ask for advice. That’s what Laundries did. There was no good news to give the Petitos. Their daughter was dead
They did not call LE though when he arrived home with the van and his story. The Pepitos called the police. The Laundries did not until two weeks later and they wanted to report their son missing.

Taking out the max withdrawal amount every day for 3 days might trigger a fraud alert from the bank. JMHO, and I am not going to test that with my bank, LOL!

Used cars today are super pricey and hard to find, and IMHO, a car would be more of a liability than an asset to BL. Hitchhiking, bus, or train would make way more sense.

They also require registration, insurance, paperwork with name & identification. Acquiring possessions that require registration with authorities is not smart fugitive behavior.

Same with any kind of rental property. You have to show ID at hotels these days. Airbnb & VRBO require registered accounts & payments via traceable transactions. Even using UBER/Lyft is traceable.

I’ve never seen him hiding out in the swamp near his house. I could see him disposing of items there or even suicide there. That’s my big unknown. Whether he’d become suicidal. I don’t know enough in general or about his mental health to accurately guess whether being the subject of a manhunt after killing his gf would motivate him or frighten him or cause him feelings of guilt.

It’s not like a Chris Watts where the killing was a step toward what he saw as the life he wanted. What would killing Gabby get him, what life could he now have? And how long could he feel truly justified & OK with what he did? He doesn’t seem mentally tough like an Eric Rudolph type, IMO. I have no answers but a steady flow of questions.

A couple of things. The Moab incident was before the trip home.
It was a storage locker, not even a unit.
The MP incident was when he returned from the trip home and it seems the last time Gabby was seen alive. MOO.

Gabby facetimed with her mother on August 25th, that was the last time she was seen alive by her mother. Again the Merry Piglet was the last time Gabby was seen alive in Wyoming on August 27th.

IMO

18% is a lot if you did not like the service; some people want to be able to choose whether to tip or not; that might explain the beginning of the incident. Did not know before that GP worked in a restaurant in NC- maybe she would have felt more sympathy toward the staff.

She worked at a place called NOLE Cafe. The video is really cute.

"Sweet, humble and wearing an endearing smile. This is the Gabby Petito that family and friends — sickened for a week over the Blue Point woman’s disappearance — are praying for and yearning to see again.

It was spring 2019 and NOLE Café juice bar in Patchogue was celebrating its first year in business. Petito, a staffer at the healthy food spot, sat down to be recorded talking about NOLE’s young owner Mackenzie Miller and to wish the eatery a “Happy birthday.”

She loved her job. She was excited about the summer ahead. She seemed happy."

‘Sweet and angelic’ Gabby Petito glows in 2019 video at work in NOLE Café in Patchogue

I saw this today for the first time. Sorry if it's old news...

"Petito and Laundrie eat at the Merry Piglets Grill for dinner, with a manager saying the couple arrived on foot and did not have a van in the parking lot. The manager said she spoke to the couple extensively and multiple times during the meal, denying that the couple caused any commotion, but did not characterize the conversation further."

Gabby Petito Case: What We Know About Timeline of Events So Far

Thank you for this! There hasn't been one thing in the case from BL's side that screams to me "maybe it wasn't him". JMO
I lay in bed and i'll be awakened then i start to think. . . maybe it wasn't him, maybe he is dead and not hiding, maybe he died a while ago and his parents grieved in private, maybe the whole carlton preserve is a hoax. But ultimately, I think back to Moab, and that sweet face of GP, and how she said to the LE at 10:58 'it never happened before' and i can't figure out what "it" means. And how intimidating it must have felt to be sitting in a cruiser, with LE standing over her, explaining how BL gets frustrated with her. And yet BL got to be on equal footing at the van, chatting it up. So like you I just can't find anything in those moments of doubt to change my mind. JMO

FWIW - RE: the 2nd MOAB Body Cam Video:

This is transcribed verbatim what I heard. Others may have heard/transcribed differently. I believe Brian said he "didn't want to try to defend himself" vs he didn't have time to defend himself.

Beginning portion only

Officer Eric Pratt: (Exits his vehicle and approaches the driver’s side window of Gabby’s Van. Brian Laundrie is seen sitting in the driver’s seat):

Officer Eric Pratt: How’s it going?

Brian: How you doing?

Officer Eric Pratt: Hey, we got a call about a male hitting a female and the two of them getting into this vehicle and taking off.

Brian: (Brian turns his head and looks away from Officer Pratt while responding…)

Brian: Sorry I…. Err….

(Brian looks back to Officer Pratt and continues)

Brian: Uhhhh…uhh….uhhhh… I…. I… I just…

(Brian again looks away from Officer Pratt and responds to Officer Robbins standing outside the passenger side).

Brian: I don’t want to try to defend myself by saying anything here but…

(Brian looks back to Officer Pratt on the driver’s side and continues):

Brian: … I pushed her away. She gets really worked up and when she does she swings and she had her cell phone in her hand so I was just

(Brian looks to the passenger side – responding now to the Officer on the passenger side)

Brian: …trying to push her away… but um… but…

(Brian stops mid sentence, changes the subject and asks a question to Officer Robbins on the passenger side and questions):

Brian: Gabrielle… You’re talking to my fianceé, right?

Officer Robbins (on Passenger Side): What’s that?

Officer Eric Pratt (on Driver's side): (Walks away from the van and leaves Brian talking to the officer on the passenger side).

Thanks for this. That's what I heard too.

I didn't see or hear him snap at the LEO. He seemed flustered but so would I be if I'd just been stopped by police!

MOO

if you do not believe that BL killed GP, is there another killer menacing the Teton area camp sites? Other victims?

But I don't think the standard is "I can't think of anyone else who might have done it so he must be guilty" or "I've seen nothing in court to convince me he didn't do it so I guess he did.".

By the time the trial rolls around (if it does) I'm sure there will be lots of evidence we don't know about now. But some things mentioned here: his parents got a lawyer and didn't return calls, he might have had a bruise in a photo taken when camping at least a week after GP died, even that he used her credit card wouldn't convince me to vote guilty on murder. They'd have to have alot more.
JMO

That's crazy!

US Marshalls shouldn't be breaking into hotel rooms and dragging innocent people out into the hall in their underwear. A little sleuthing of the person listed as having rented the room might have told them he wasn't their guy.

I think this needs to be put into perspective. DV killers usually aren't a threat to the general public.

My perspective is that BL is a fugitive from a federal warrant, and he knows a murder warrant is coming. He has _nothing_ to lose, and that makes him extremely dangerous.

Yup, wholly speculation.

All anyone knows for certain right now, is that the card he used was defined as Gabby’s by the police; and the charges tell us, that no way did he have any provable monetary rights to her money.

At the very minimum, it was not a joint account. IMO, the bank can confirm this for the FBI with one hand tied behind their backs.

I see a way around that. He can say he had permission to use the card and demonstrate past purchases where he can say he used it and this gives him the legal right to use it.

He can also say he thought she was alive when he used it, again, that is legal. Partners use and share cards all the time, par for the course. I think it would be difficult to make the charge stick.

I think they charged him only to give him a very different status.

Before he was charged anyone and their brother could help him "escape" and in fact harbor him. After the warrant went out all that changed, now it is illegal to help him.

Now also LE can get more agencies to help, more money for searches.

They did not call LE though when he arrived home with the van and his story. The Pepitos called the police. The Laundries did not until two weeks later and they wanted to report their son missing.
This is so concerning.
Gabby lived there for two years.
She was not a random stranger Brian met two days earlier in his travels.
It sounds like the Laundry's knew something !

Eta : Even if it was a new girlfriend he met and she vanished ; if I were his parent(s) I'd have some questions for him as well.
A person who goes missing around someone -- who then proceed to drive home to their parents with the missing person's van & having also spent credit cards they weren't entitled to spend; yes, there will be questions, and it's not going to be very pleasant.
But others' mileage may vary.
MOO.

Last edited:
There was a case in Colorado where a guy killed his ex-fiance, one of the things that got him was his and her cell phones pinging off the same tower when they were supposedly in separate locations.

How cell phone analysis help convict Patrick Frazee of murder:
In a case lacking physical evidence of a crime, the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) relied on digital evidence to show something happened to Kelsey Berreth:
https://www.koaa.com/news/covering-...lysis-helped-convict-patrick-frazee-of-murder

https://koaa.com/news/seen-on-5/2019/03/07/warrants-reveal-cell-phone-evidence-in-frazee-case/

I thought Frazee was convicted by the ex-girlfriend who took a plea for her part after the fact?

Also, I personally am not married to my phone. I go places often without it. Also I've never left my phone anywhere, but that could have been the case with Frazee, unless he told one story and the cellphone data told another story.

I'm just glad that monster is behind bars forever too. Wish they could have charged his mother for something. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member