Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 #73

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Chain of custody is one of several well known reasons non-professionals should not be involved in searches, not to mention the suspicion it brings on any non LE or trained SAR who find something, especially family.

The search of that area had concluded. LE had left. What's the difference if XL & RL found it vs me walking my pet iguana there? Just curious? MOO.

I’ve never quite understood them taking the mustang from the reserve. I’d rather risk a ticket/tow on the vehicle than to leave him stranded out there- especially with no cell phone.
I can't find the link just now, but some reports stated that the Mustang was towed from the area. But the keys were left in it. So I am still not sure who moved the car.

Based on how quickly the parents lawyered up, it does make you wonder what BL may have confided to them about. Why seek legal advice otherwise? Perhaps this ties into why they carried the items they carried back to LE - instead of leaving the discovery where it was found and calling LE to report the area of discovery to maintain the chain of custody.
I do have sympathy for his parents, but I also have questions regarding decisions that were made.

Of course that is their right, look at Madeline McCann s parents who massively messed up, they still made pleas and still do to this day, innocent or wrong they still made pleas, with a lot of public scrutiny. Yeah she was little and young but they still spoke up because they wanted her found alive MOO
Everyone's different--we can't expect people to behave in a cookie-cutter fashion--we do, but that's very unrealistic.

Is it possible that CL and RL found BL dead on the 13th when they searched for 4 hours for him and left him there hoping that the search team would find him, but when the search was called off without finding him they decided to go to the place they knew he was deceased?
But what would the point in finding him, keeping it quiet, and returning to find him again?

LE gives BL a pass and a motel room.
LE loses a POI in a murder case.
LE spends almost $1.5M searching where directed by parents.
LE finds nothing.
Parents spend 30 minutes rummaging around near an already searched area near the preserve's entrance
and find evidence of BL's presence near human remains.
Lawyer takes full blame for ethical failure of parents.
End of story.
Everybody goes home.
I mourn for the Petitos, if this is the best and all that they get.
MOOing...

I am usually very supportive of LE/FBI...in this case, it seems one misstep and fumble after another.
Keystone Cops comes to mind...unless there's something going on behind the scenes.

I’m so sorry Claire. I also know how hard it is to leave. I’m glad you’re in a better place now.
I’m glad I got my happy life but I think about gabby and it’s heartbreaking. I’m just glad that her family are using her death as a positive and educating as many people as they can so her death doesn’t go in vain. Her case reached me in the south east of England so I know it can reach even further. MOO

SB gave the wrong dates! He initially said BL went hiking on the 14th and later amended it to the 13th.

Outside of that, when he amended the flipping date, he did add in that CL searched for 4-5 hours that night but he never, not once, mentioned they told LE at any point before the 17th.

According to SB, BL left to hike on the 13th, didn't come home, his parents searched the park, and then they reported him missing that night.

Why then would the NPPD put the parking warning on the Mustang at the park the very next day, if they were informed about all this by the parents?

We're really to believe that the police knew he was gone and was looking for him on the 13th-17th and didn't think to check the location where his vehicle was parked? Or watch this vehicle to see if he'd return to it?

Am I missing something here?

Based on how quickly the parents lawyered up, it does make you wonder what BL may have confided to them about. Why seek legal advice otherwise? Perhaps this ties into why they carried the items they carried back to LE - instead of leaving the discovery where it was found and calling LE to report the area of discovery to maintain the chain of custody.
I do have sympathy for his parents, but I also have questions regarding decisions that were made.
My guess would be that Brian initially gave them a plausible explanation as to why he had the van but not Gabby. Once they got the call/message from her parents, they probably realized something was wrong and called their lawyer. Makes sense, right?

I guess some of us WS'ers have followed so many of these type of cases here that I, for one, couldn't look past the fact that the FBI doggedly searched that reserve since the get-go! And all those sightings of BL elsewhere just did not ring true for one reason or another, even that man that said he was sure he saw BL on a trail! And frankly, BL didn't have the mental strength among other things to plan out a longterm getaway. IMO!

Don't feel bad, I honestly thought he was long gone from the Reserve also.
I had the COD correct but was wrong about the Reserve.

Sad. All the way around. Two beautiful young people are gone, their families and friends are heartbroken and their loss is great.

There is nothing to be learned here. It's done. May they both rest in peace.

You can define "brief" as you see fit....after 3 weeks of searching, how it was found this am so quickly is pretty amazing to a lot of people. jmo
My guess is because it was underwater before.

I would entertain a possibility that the parents planted the items but there's no motive that I can think of to do that and a reporter was watching them and he didn't see anything like that happening. JMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jessicawilliams0