Found Deceased WY - Gabrielle ‘Gabby’ Petito, 22, Grand Teton National Park, 25 Aug 2021 *road trip w/bf*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is one of the stranger situations I have followed …

1) weird that he would leave his social media profiles as public

2) weird that he would drive home without her … but did he in fact drive home without her? We have only heard that BL arrived home alone … does not mean he left her out west

3) Weird that no friends have come forward and only family to speak publicly have been parents

4) Weird that no one is commenting on the nature of their relationship …. GP dad refused to

5) Weird comment from the dad

a. I want to keep the focus on finding [Gabby],” Joe Petito told The Post amid questions about what happened to his daughter. “[Laundrie] doesn’t matter. The van [they were in] doesn’t matter.

b. “Don’t focus on the crap, focus on finding her. I can’t implore that enough. All of the crap afterward will sort itself out. Please find her. I beg you,” the dad said, addressing authorities and the public

6) Weird that …. if she spoke to her family as often as claimed why would the family wait until sept 11 to report her missing? That is 11 days .. from the 31st – 10th …. a few days out of touch I can understand … but they waited 11 days … after day 6, I would have been calling everyone … mom says she became concerned around day 8 – 9 after not getting a response from her

7) Pretty loooong drive back to Florida … has to be tons of video of the van on its way back … if I had done something malicious there’s no way I would be able to drive any kind of distance close to that while simultaneously forming a plan with my parents

8) Under any circumstance I would retain counsel – it implies absolutely nothing – I am from long island – <modsnip - bashing LE is not allowed>

Excellent post!!!!

Welcome to websleuths!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I had seen someone say that her last instagram post caption "Happy Halloween" on August 25th had been changed. Does anyone know what it said prior? Also does anyone know why all of the youtube vidoes except the first one have been taken off their channel "Nomadic Statik"?

Curious the last known contact on or around August 25 from daughter, and 17 days later a missing person case is opened by mother. That's a significant portion of time, especially given the frequency of dialogue back and forth just prior to that time. Lots of moving parts to this puzzle as so far very little makes much sense.

• Aug. 25: Schmidt says the couple's van is spotted at Grand Teton National Park.
  • Aug. 25-27: Schmidt says she doesn't know where Petito is. It is assumed the couple leaves Wyoming headed for Yellowstone National Park, but it is unclear if they made it.
Do we know that Gabby was actually spotted inside the van on Aug 25, in the Grand Teton National Park?
The last time she was seen in person by FaceTime with her mom was Aug 24 or 25. If the 25th, was she seen in the in the van after the FaceTime ?
Seems unclear whether they both were in Yellowstone National Park.
Hoping that authorities are checking all cameras after Aug 25.

It's such a huge area to search, with helicopters and drones.

The Park authorities will start with trying to find footage of them. There aren't many roads in/out of either park, so they should be able to find something.

I am optimistic that eventually, LE will find a reasonable starting point for a search, with a few more details needed before this case goes into NAMUS.

If only authorities had been notified as soon as she was separated from the van, the search would have started. People in campgrounds could have been interviewed (really unlikely that by Sept 8-9 that many of the same people would be there). I'm guessing someone's ATM card was used for gas. No gas in actual GT, so they would have filled up in Jackson Hole or at the gas station in the NF between GT and Yellowstone (not sure how much gas is in YT - I think there's a gas station near giant Yellowstone Lake).

The timeline will get filled in, I'm sure. I look forward to hearing that a search is being done, but am not optimistic if she's out there somewhere in the NP or NF...

"Laundrie had done most of the mechanical work on their van, and Gabby had refurbished the interior, according to Foster, who said he enjoyed comparing tattoos with Gabby. When Laundrie asked Foster if he’d like to have a skateboard he no longer needed, Foster eagerly accepted."

This ‘Van-Life’ Couple Went on a Cross-Country Trip Out West. Only He Came Back.

Thank you. I am not seeing how this mechanical work gives him any ownership in the van (unless his name was on the title). If it is Gabby's van, as I believe it is, then she's repaying him by giving him a ride across America, IMO.

OTOH, perhaps it was in both of their names...

I had seen someone say that her last instagram post caption "Happy Halloween" on August 25th had been changed. Does anyone know what it said prior? Also does anyone know why all of the youtube vidoes except the first one have been taken off their channel "Nomadic Statik"?

I don't think previous videos were necessarily deleted. I think that's the first VLOG they uploaded to YouTube, having previously used TikTok for videos.

It's unfortunately not possible to see what Instagram captions were edited from. Almost all of her posts are showing as edited, for some reason

Not in most states, unless the two are married. And even then, community property doesn't apply to things and money owned before the marriage, only gained after the marriage.

Where is your source that he took care of maintenance? There are instas involving Gabby's designs and set up of the van (and it was her car she sold so that she could get the van). Unless you're sleuthing him, which isn't allowed, you need to make it clear that "he took care of the maintenance" is a fact.

"He put plenty of time and money into it." Needs an MSM source - is there one?
This ‘Van-Life’ Couple Went on a Cross-Country Trip Out West. Only He Came Back.

If he had done mechanical work and put his own, or even his parents money, into the van he still has interest in it. I know that they weren’t married, and if the van was only in one person’s name then that person legally owns it. I also think he could fight something like that in court as there’s a lot of proof that he helped take care of it, was probably on the insurance, drove it, etc. I just mean he was clearly entitled to use the van, any theft would really depend on the circumstances of her going missing.

Not in most states, unless the two are married. And even then, community property doesn't apply to things and money owned before the marriage, only gained after the marriage.

Where is your source that he took care of maintenance? There are instas involving Gabby's designs and set up of the van (and it was her car she sold so that she could get the van). Unless you're sleuthing him, which isn't allowed, you need to make it clear that "he took care of the maintenance" is a fact.

"He put plenty of time and money into it." Needs an MSM source - is there one?
Well on the video he under the hood!

Hmm. I've been the scared girlfriend you got out of the car (anger came later). But a person still doesn't abandon their partner thousands of miles from home. If Gabby did state that she was walking home from Grand Teton National Park to New York, then her mental status needs to be a part of this. But that's not what we know. I really don't like that Gabby is being characterized as someone with such a crazy idea - she had to have known she couldn't just walk home!

Yes, people do illogical things. The boyfriend's story is not being made available - even to LE, that we know of, as they say he is not cooperating (unless that changed in the past 18 hours).

Yes, the 24th is the last "proof of life" for Gabby - and mom says Gabby said she was in Grand Teton NP. LE will figure out if she ever made it to Yellowstone. Hopefully that will give a rough search area. I don't think a 2012 Ford Transit has any GPS on it, and I am guessing Gabby was using an iPhone or an Android for her blogging and Insta uploads. That will be a crucial piece of evidence.

The campground at Grand Teton is next to a fairly large lake. If she was able to call from there, the phone pinged there. Where did it ping next?

I'm not suggesting that she just decided to walk home. I am suggesting that you could think of any number of reasons she might decide to part company with him without demanding control of the van... if it's even her van to demand and if she's even wired to think like that.

<modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think previous videos were necessarily deleted. I think that's the first VLOG they uploaded to YouTube, having previously used TikTok for videos.

It's unfortunately not possible to see what Instagram captions were edited from. Almost all of her posts are showing as edited, for some reason

That's weird they are all showing up edited. As for the Youtube videos I was asking because videos from some news channels had said they were documenting their trip on their Youtube. They may have been mistaken though and like you said it may have mostly been their TikTok.

Thank you. I am not seeing how this mechanical work gives him any ownership in the van (unless his name was on the title). If it is Gabby's van, as I believe it is, then she's repaying him by giving him a ride across America, IMO.

OTOH, perhaps it was in both of their names...
All I mean is that the van and it’s ownership seems to be irrelevant at this point. LE knows where it is and that Brian arrived home in it. He’s got a vested interest based on how much time and money he put into it as it was a joint project. Even if they were married and it was only in her name he would have interest in it. Not being legally married and him arriving alone in the van, I just don’t see how it matters if they both equally took care of it.

Police have made contact with missing Gabby Petito's boyfriend

Police in Florida were seen dropping off a pink envelope at the home of missing Long Island woman Gabby Petito‘s boyfriend — as authorities say they’re preparing for the possibility that something “sinister” has happened to her.

<snip>

Exclusive photos obtained by The Post show cops dropping off an envelope outside Laundrie’s home.
View attachment 312496 View attachment 312497

North Port police said they attempted to talk to Laundrie, but were rebuffed by his parents, who put them in touch with his attorney.

“We talked with his parents, who did not make him available,” North Port police spokesman Josh Taylor told The Post.

Taylor denied a report that authorities had made contact with Laundrie directly.

“We would love to [talk to him]. He certainly has whatever rights he has available. We will see how it goes, we are roughly 72 hours into this,” he said.

<snip>

Meanwhile, police have seized the converted van the couple had been traveling in from his home.

“It’s here at the police department. It will be processed with the FBI,” Taylor said.

In a text message to The Post on Tuesday, Petito’s father, Joe, said that authorities were combing through data as part of their search for his daughter.

“I was told a lot of great work was done yesterday by the FBI, but they’re still going through a lot of data,” he said. “Everyone has been amazing in helping to try to find Gabby.”
well the FBI is processing the vehicle that pretty much says it all....
sigh.
JMO

If he had done mechanical work and put his own, or even his parents money, into the van he still has interest in it. I know that they weren’t married, and if the van was only in one person’s name then that person legally owns it. I also think he could fight something like that in court as there’s a lot of proof that he helped take care of it, was probably on the insurance, drove it, etc. I just mean he was clearly entitled to use the van, any theft would really depend on the circumstances of her going missing.
I think it’s not so much about entitlement as it is Privilege. He had the privilege of using the van seeing as he was her boyfriend. Any invested interest should’ve been in the girl he was dating not the van. Whatever he did to the van was for her not for him. Maybe he only did work to it because he owed her money. We have no idea of the intricacies of their relationship and probably never will.

in my opinion entitled is leaving the owner of the van behind.

The FBI is going to pull apart the electronic story over the next few weeks and we will have a timeline.
well the FBI is processing the vehicle that pretty much says it all....
sigh.
JMO
Exactly- any difference the actual ownership vs. his "interest" in the van is a distinction without any practical significance

Obviously speculation, but what if GP and BL were hiking and she was attacked and mauled to death by a cougar or bear, then dragged away. And BL witnessed this but was unable to help her. He could have been disoriented by horror and shock and only wanted to get home. So he got in the van and fled, and is not yet "together" enough psychologically to deal with informing her parents or talking to LE. Whole parts of such an episode could be blanked out in his mind.

Just a thought that might explain the strangeness.

Question… since how much money they did or didn’t have seems to be a major point of interest in this thread… how much money would they have really needed for a trip like this? Yes, length of intended time on the road (3 months) is significant but they really just needed gas money. Some money to replenish food. And I guess a hotel stay every now and then. If they were living at their respective parents houses then they had no bills prior to this outing so it’s possible their collective grocery store gigs was enough to front the entire trip assuming they saved every penny. Maybe not so much his parents but I imagine if a young girl were to tell her parents she was going on a trip such as this they’d have made sure she had the money she needed, especially in the event of an emergency. especially a girl from Suffolk county.

Her mom mentioned they gave them some money when they left. It's at the 2:02 mark in the video where they are being questioned by reporters. Imo, her parents would help if she needed money to get home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ghosty_gal