WY WY - Nash Quinn, 39, Laramie, 8 Jul 2024 *visiting professor at the University of Wyoming, avid bicyclist*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

PommyMommy

#ShinelikeShanann
Reaction score
Nash Quinn, of UW’s Department of Visual Arts, hasn’t been seen or heard from since July 8. The avid bicyclist is missing, along with his bicycle, a Ridley rigid steel frame, white in color with a brown leather seat and 29-inch wheels.

Quinn, 39, is known to frequently ride his bike, while wearing a helmet, in the Pilot Hill and Happy Jack areas near Laramie. He is described as a white man with a slim build, dark blonde hair, blue eyes, a mustache and glasses, weighing about 165 pounds.

1721790398154.png

Nash Quinn, a visiting professor of jewelry and metalsmithing at the University of Wyoming, has not been seen or heard from by family or friends since July 8. Attempts to contact him have proved unsuccessful.

According to Quinn’s close friend CarlyAnn Carruthers, the 39-year-old white male is roughly 5-foot-1 with a slim build, dark blonde hair, blue eyes, a mustache and glasses. He weighs roughly 165 pounds and would be wearing his helmet if he was out biking.

I wonder if he was scheduled to teach any second summer session courses or if he was off for this session. My thinking is that if he was not teaching this session and did not have to report to work, I wonder if he took a longer bike trip or something similar and possibly got hurt. One of the articles mentions that his bike is also missing.

Good question about why it took so long. He’s been missing for 15 days now.

Are we looking at a cycling accident or hit and run? I have so many questions. Did he live alone? Is his cell and wallet at the home? Who saw him last and when?

Nash Quinn, a visiting professor of jewelry and metalsmithing at the University of Wyoming, has not been seen or heard from by family or friends since July 8. Attempts to contact him have proved unsuccessful.

According to Quinn’s close friend CarlyAnn Carruthers, the 39-year-old white male is roughly 5-foot-1 with a slim build, dark blonde hair, blue eyes, a mustache and glasses. He weighs roughly 165 pounds and would be wearing his helmet if he was out biking.

the article says 5'11", not 5'1", just a note :)

<snipped & BBM>
Nash Quinn, a 39-year-old fine arts professor, avid cyclist and disc golf player, has not been seen or heard from since July 8. He is believed to have gone for a bike ride on that day, according to police. He is an alum of the university and had returned to Laramie just this year as a visiting professor.

A volunteer search and rescue veteran from the Houston area, who knows Quinn and is organizing search parties in Laramie, said Quinn’s missing bike in his apartment is the only significant clue that they have.

Quinn’s wallet and cell phone were found at his apartment, according to his close friend, Jon Cicarelli, who has known him for more than 15 years dating back to when they were both underclassmen at the university.

Cicarelli said Quinn, who is not married and does not have children, is independent and it’s common for him to go off the radar at times, though Cicarelli said he’d never miss a work obligation.

[...]

Given what they know at this point, Middendorf said, searchers are focused on Quinn’s usual cycling routes in the Pilot Hill and Happy Jack areas outside of Laramie as Middendorf believes he left on his white Ridley steel-frame bicycle, which was missing from his apartment.

Middendorf called for Laramie area residents and business owners to be on the lookout for the bike, not just Quinn. He also asked people to check their business and personal security cameras for any signs of the missing professor.

Middendorf said that authorities have not been able to get into his laptop or cell phone but are optimistic that his family can help with those efforts.
[...]

He, too, wasn’t surprised to hear that the bike was the only thing missing from Quinn’s apartment and said Quinn frequently goes out on long solo rides, sometimes up to 40 miles.

[...]

He also said that Quinn had served in the military and would have been able to hold his own if he’d have gotten lost in the outdoors.

Ridley bike frames are very expensive, it's worrying that his phone and wallet are in his apartment but he and his bike are not. Did he have an Apple or Samsung watch? Strava app?

The frames alone run $2100 USD - $7000+ USD

To me, it is always worrying when someone leaves their phone and or wallet at home. Going off on a solo ride, hike, run, or walk, those are the times that we need our phone with us. On a bike, you might get a flat. Maybe you fix that flat with what you have available, and then you get another flat. So what are you do? Most people don’t carry an unlimited number of tubes and CO2 cartridges. It’s possible something mechanical happened to the bike when he was far out.

I could not tell if this is a mountain bike or a road bike, which would make a difference on the kind of terrain he is potentially on.

To me, it is always worrying when someone leaves their phone and or wallet at home. Going off on a solo ride, hike, run, or walk, those are the times that we need our phone with us. On a bike, you might get a flat. Maybe you fix that flat with what you have available, and then you get another flat. So what are you do? Most people don’t carry an unlimited number of tubes and CO2 cartridges. It’s possible something mechanical happened to the bike when he was far out.

I could not tell if this is a mountain bike or a road bike, which would make a difference on the kind of terrain he is potentially on.
If it's an expensive bike, he'd probably have a bike computer that could be tracked via whatever GPS tracker he uses.

It has mountain bike tires, but a solid front fork, IME unusual for a mountain bike, especially a high-end one.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back