Zach Adams guilty in kidnapping murder of Holly Bobo Sept 23, 2017

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Since I haven't seen any updates on a date change - I shall post this - for the time being.

Friday, March 27th:
*Motions Hearing @ am CT) - TN - Holly Lynn Bobo (20) (missing April 13, 2011; found Sept. 7, 2014) – for *Zachary Rye Adams (30) accused of 1st degree murder, aggravated kidnapping & aggravated rape. Plead not guilty. DA will seek DP. Hardin County
Found GUILTY (11/22/17) of 8 counts after 3 ½ hours of deliberations. Received 25 years for kidnapping, 25 years for rape & LWOP for murder one. 11/9/17: The first motion for a new trial has been filed citing the court erred in not granting Adams' motion for a change of venue and that the evidence was not sufficient for a verdict of guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.
2/26/20 Update: Attorney Jennifer Thompson filed a motion Wednesday citing 56 reasons Zach Adams should get a new trial. The motion for a new trial is expected to be heard in court on 3/27/20.
*Jason Autry (43/36 @ time of crime) charged with 1st degree murder, aggravated rape & aggravated kidnapping. Case will be heard after Dylan’s is thru about June. JA case will not be heard until after Dylan's case in about June of 2018; but DA Hagerman said (on 1/23/18) the state will handle Zach Adams’ motion for a new trial before moving forward with Autry.
4/13/18 update: going over plea deal. 8/23/19 Update: Jason Autry, the third and final defendant accused of murdering Holly Bobo has finished a federal prison sentence for a different crime. But he'll remain in prison for now -- waiting to see if a plea deal will set him free. Before he was arrested in the murder of Bobo, Autry was in prison on a federal gun crime. His eight year sentence on that crime is up. Autry's served his federal time, but remains locked up without bond still awaiting trial, but that trial won't happen. That's because Autry brokered a plea deal for his testimony against Adams. But before any release there's the matter of Zach Adam's appeal. But it may not be until late next year when the three state appellate court judges finally hear the appeal. Any plea deal won't kick in until the legal process is complete.
*John Dylan Adams – Adams plead guilty (1/22/18) to facilitation of first-degree murder for 15 yrs, especially aggravated kidnapping at 35 years to run concurrent. Adams sentenced to 35 years total.

The Tennessee Supreme Court today issued an Order stating all Tennessee courts will remain open during the coronavirus outbreak, but suspending all in-person judicial proceedings through March 31, 2020.

Bumping up - yes, going thru some of my oldies -

wondering if anyone has heard anything?? Nothing in the court site....

TIA!
pancoucou.gif

edited to add - I have this in my notes.

The Tennessee Supreme Court today issued an Order stating all Tennessee courts will remain open during the coronavirus outbreak, but suspending all in-person judicial proceedings through March 31, 2020.

New Appeal Date Set for Zachary Adams in the Holly Bobo Case

July 1, 2020

In a June 26, 2020 interview with Judge Creed McGinley, the judge said that he will hear the appeal of Zach Adams on August 11th. Adams was convicted of killing Decatur County nursing student Holly Bobo in 2011, and was sentenced to life plus 50 years. Adams’ attorney, Jennifer Thompson, has filed his initial appeal asking for a new trial. Adams’ brother, Dylan, plead guilty and was sentenced to 35 years. Jason Autry, who gave…

For the complete story, see the July 1st edition of The Lexington Progress.

darn - can't read the rest of the story... anyone here subscribe to this newspaper? Well - at least we have a date! :)

Am I remembering wrong here? I thought Zach Adams and his attorney accepted a life sentence for him in exchange for him agreeing not to appeal this case. Maybe I’m thinking of another case?

Am I remembering wrong here? I thought Zach Adams and his attorney accepted a life sentence for him in exchange for him agreeing not to appeal this case. Maybe I’m thinking of another case?

This is what I have in my notes:
Found GUILTY (11/22/17) of 8 counts after 3 ½ hours of deliberations. Found GUILTY - 8 counts. Received 25 years for kidnapping/25 years for rape/& LWOP for murder one.

Jury found him guilty - no deal was made as far as I can tell from my notes. Must be another case you're thinking of! :)

This is what I have in my notes:
Found GUILTY (11/22/17) of 8 counts after 3 ½ hours of deliberations. Found GUILTY - 8 counts. Received 25 years for kidnapping/25 years for rape/& LWOP for murder one.

Jury found him guilty - no deal was made as far as I can tell from my notes. Must be another case you're thinking of! :)

Thanks for checking! I’ve obviously got it mixed up with some other case.

Zach Adams' appeal to be heard in August, likely headed to 6th Circuit Court

July 29, 2020

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WTVF) — It seems the prosecution is finally ready to move into the final stage of the high-profile Holly Bobo murder case.

Zach Adams was convicted of killing Bobo in 2017. Now, I've learned his long-awaited appeal will go before a judge in just two weeks.
[.....]
His brother, Dylan, pleaded guilty to facilitation. One other defendant, Jason Autry, is still awaiting trial. His fate will now depend on the result of Zach Adams' appeal.

Autry, who was a star witness against Adams, remains locked up. But word is he cut a deal for his testimony at trial against Adams and that he will be released after Adams' appeal is heard. That will be the last step for the prosecution in this long, tragic case.

Tuesday, August 11th:
*Appeal Hearing @ am CT) - TN - Holly Lynn Bobo (20) (missing April 13, 2011; found Sept. 7, 2014) – *Zachary Rye Adams (30) accused of 1st degree murder, aggravated kidnapping & aggravated rape. Plead not guilty. DA will seek DP.
Found GUILTY (11/22/17) of 8 counts after 3 ½ hours of deliberations. Received 25 years for kidnapping, 25 years for rape & LWOP for murder one. 11/9/17: The first motion for a new trial has been filed citing the court erred in not granting Adams' motion for a change of venue and that the evidence was not sufficient for a verdict of guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.
2/26/20 Update: Attorney Jennifer Thompson filed a motion Wednesday citing 56 reasons Zach Adams should get a new trial. The motion for a new trial is expected to be heard in court on 3/27/20.
3/27/20 Update: Judge Creed McGinley, the judge said (on 6/26/20) that he will hear the appeal of Zach Adams on August 11th. Adams was convicted of killing Decatur County nursing student Holly Bobo in 2011, and was sentenced to life plus 50 years. Adams’ attorney, Jennifer Thompson, has filed his initial appeal asking for a new trial.
*Jason Autry (43/36 @ time of crime) charged with 1st degree murder, aggravated rape & aggravated kidnapping. Case will be heard after Dylan’s is thru about June. JA case will not be heard until after Dylan's case in about June of 2018; but DA Hagerman said (on 1/23/18) the state will handle Zach Adams’ motion for a new trial before moving forward with Autry.
4/13/18 update: going over plea deal. 8/23/19 Update: Autry, the third and final defendant accused of murdering Holly Bobo has finished a federal prison sentence for a different crime. But he'll remain in prison for now -- waiting to see if a plea deal will set him free. Before he was arrested in the murder of Bobo, Autry was in prison on a federal gun crime. His eight year sentence on that crime is up. Autry's served his federal time, but remains locked up without bond still awaiting trial, but that trial won't happen. That's because Autry brokered a plea deal for his testimony against Adams. But before any release there's the matter of Zach Adam's appeal. But it may not be until late next year when the three state appellate court judges finally hear the appeal. Any plea deal won't kick in until the legal process is complete.
*John Dylan Adams – Adams plead guilty (1/22/18) to facilitation of first-degree murder for 15 yrs, especially aggravated kidnapping at 35 years to run concurrent. Adams sentenced to 35 years total.

Zach Adams expected to appeal conviction, ask for new trial on Tuesday

August 10, 2020

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WTVF) — Zach Adams, the man convicted of killing Holly Bobo, is expected to appeal his conviction in court on Tuesday.

Judge Creed McGinley will hear his appeal in a Hardin County court on Tuesday morning. Adams' attorney is expected to ask for a new trial, citing alleged mistakes in the original trial. Adams is also expected to be in the courtroom.

If his appeal is denied, then it will be sent to the state court.

8/11/2020
HEADLINE - "Zach Adams denied appeal in Holly Bobo case, likely to the spend the rest of his life in jail"

LINK - Zach Adams denied appeal in Holly Bobo case

Comment - The "appeal" here was asserting the trial judge made significant mistakes. In TN it is initially sent to and decided by the trial judge who made the questioned decisions in the first place, so he can have an opportunity to fix his mistakes (if he agrees he made some of significance) by allowing a new trial, before someone else of greater authority takes a look. That's what this was.

So (a) the odds are always tiny for anything to be altered at this level, even if massive mistakes were made, because judges will rarely say they screwed up (even if they did in a big way) and (b) the headline writer is completely and cluelessly overstating the finality of this ruling.

When the original judge declines to have a new trial to fix mistakes that are alleged, then it goes over the original judge's head into what we typically think of as an "appeal" - ie, someone else of greater authority weighing in. The next stop is the state court.

Last edited:
8/11/2020
HEADLINE - "Zach Adams denied appeal in Holly Bobo case, likely to the spend the rest of his life in jail"

Zach Adams denied appeal in Holly Bobo case

Comment - the "appeal" was asserting the trial judge made significant mistakes, and is initially sent to and decided by the trial judge who made the decisions in the first place so he can admit he screwed up if he wants to and allow a new trial, before someone else of greater authority takes a look. That's what this was.

So (a) the odds are always tiny for anything to be altered at this level, even if massive mistakes were made, and (b) the headline writer is completely overstating the finality of this ruling.

If the original judge declines to have a new trial to fix mistakes that are alleged, from here it goes over the original judge's head into what we typically understand as an "appeal." The next stop is the state court.
Look at the pretty boy. He has groomed his eyebrows for his jail lovers.

Okay - so - in my notes I have this for Autry & bold a part of it I have the question on.

8/23/19 Update: Jason Autry, the third and final defendant accused of murdering Holly Bobo has finished a federal prison sentence for a different crime. But he'll remain in prison for now -- waiting to see if a plea deal will set him free. Before he was arrested in the murder of Bobo, Autry was in prison on a federal gun crime. His eight year sentence on that crime is up. Autry's served his federal time, but remains locked up without bond still awaiting trial, but that trial won't happen. That's because Autry brokered a plea deal for his testimony against Adams. But before any release there's the matter of Zach Adam's appeal. But it may not be until late next year when the three state appellate court judges finally hear the appeal. Any plea deal won't kick in until the legal process is complete.

So does Autry now have to wait for the State court appeals? Or will they go ahead with his plea deal on Holly's case?
Anyone know? TIA! :)

"So does Autry now have to wait for the State court appeals? Or will they go ahead with his plea deal on Holly's case?
Anyone know?"

Clearly JA has been told to wait until they say so, for however long it takes and they wish, before his trial happens and his sentence is determined for what he has admitted to. So all the waiting is part of the deal.

But the only people that would know how long he will have to wait would be the state's prosecution team, and they aren't saying. In fact, afaik they have never admitted he was even given a deal at all - a deal of some sort has just been assumed by everyone else (despite the prosecution's denials during the trial) as being given for his testimony.

I posted this article over on this thread:
Status Hearings Nov 14, 2017, Jan 22, 2018- Jason Autry and Dylan Adams

and I'll post it here too.

Jason Autry, last remaining suspect in Holly Bobo case, could be released before the end of the year

August 12, 2020
NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WTVF) — Jason Autry, the last remaining suspect in the Holly Bobo murder case, is expected to be released from jail before the end of the year.

Autry testified against Zach Adams, leading to his conviction for the murder of Bobo. If you believe Autry, he was there and participated. However, the prosecution needed his testimony and cut a deal in the case.
[.....]
Autry has been locked up since Bobo disappeared in 2011. Now I’m told that plea deal is about to kick in and he could be out by the end of the year. Prosecutors kept him locked up until a ruling on Adams’ appeal in case they needed him to testify again. The judge rejected the appeal on Tuesday, which finally clears the way for Autry’s release.

Adams’ request for a new trial is now headed to the Tennessee Court of Appeals. It could take several months before the higher court makes a decision.

The Case Archive is updated too.

Trial and Beyond - Justice for Holly:
TRIAL And Beyond - Justice For Holly by amanda reckonwith

Cell phone users may glitch, so try this and scroll:
8/11/20 Adams will not have a new trial. Defense had 56 reasons for a new trial. But, A YOUNG NURSING STUDENT GOT JUSTICE. For Hollys murder, the killer will die in prison.

Here is the MAIN Case Archive, up until trial:
Holly Bobo -TN- by amanda reckonwith

Cell phone users may glitch, so try this and scroll:
Holly Lynn Bobo

Hey @AmandaReckonwith - would your archives have the plea deal for Autry?
- I have in my notes that it happened on 4/13/18 that they went over the plea deal.

TIA!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bill1620