Zahau Family Sues County for Additional Evidence

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Excellent points, KZ! I didn't even think of the correlation between Phoenix tapes as being interviews of Dina. THANK YOU SO MUCH for the great insight!

I pray to God that the WDS would bring all these missing interview tapes out. It'd be even greater if these audiotapes of the POIs are released. :please:

Lash and Carioca are to thank. I had overlooked the Phoenix connection till they posted the links.

We're all a team here-- at least those of us who support the Zahau's in their efforts to bring some measure of justice to their loved one. No one alone has all the answers, right?! :seeya:

SW 11-164 and 11-165 -

Jonah was reinterviewed on July 15th by one of the same detectives, Norton and Tsuida joined him. On the 15th Jonah and Dina would have still be in Coronado.

http://ftpcontent.worldnow.com/kfmb/misc/warrant_11-165.pdf

Was Dina back in Arizona July 26, 2011?

Howard Luber is in the Phoenix, AZ area, also.

But my guess is the interviewee is Dina. I can't imagine why Howard Luber would have had to be interviewed "officially" at that point in time, and audiotaped with a transcript generated. He flew out before Rebecca's death.

Was Dina back in Arizona July 26, 2011?

Howard Luber is in the Phoenix, AZ area, also.

But my guess is the interviewee is Dina. I can't imagine why Howard Luber would have had to be interviewed "officially" at that point in time, and audiotaped with a transcript generated. He flew out before Rebecca's death.

According to Nina's interview...Nina and her husband drove Dina back to Phoenix on 7/19/2011. Dina most likely was in Phoenix on the 26th. Max's private memorial service was held on the 20th. The 21st Jonah hired his PR firm and the 23rd Rebecca was laid to rest.

Timeline-
[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=191945"]Rebecca and Max Timeline - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

For the record, here is the list of evidence and personal items requested in the lawsuit:

A. All investigative records, files, and forensic evidence, photos, audio files, telephonic and cell phone records, video files, and transcripts of witness interviews and the like, received and seized pursuant to the investigation into the death of Rebecca Zahau on or about July 12-13, 2011 and thereafter (1)

B. Bit images (copies) of the hard drives and storage media on all electronic devices seized, including but not limited to a desktop computer, laptop computer, tablets, cell phones, smart phones, printers, copiers and the like;

C. The 911 calls of Adam Shacknai and Paul Pfingst on July 13, 2011 (2)

D. Copies of all statements made by or about Rebecca Zahau to San Diego County employees (including but not limited to the San Diego Sheriff) following the fall of Max Shacknai on July 11, 2011 at the Spreckels Mansion (audio, video and any prepared transcripts).

E. The audio, transcript and any notes from a July 26, 2011 interview in Phoenix referred to by Lead Investigator Angela Tsuida in a report dated August 15, 2011. This item is classified as relating to the Max Shacknai investigation while it also mentions Rebecca Zahau. Two previous "missing" audiotaped interviews were located with the assistance of the California Attorney General.

F. Electronic items including but no limited to the following:
i. Apple iMac and HP computers and/or a bit image (copy) of each.
ii. Rebecca's AT&T Samsung cell phone.
iii. Lumix digital camera
iv. The hard drive or other memory device of the printers found on the property.
v. Rebecca's Olympus stylus epic digital camera.
vi. Rebecca's FLIP video camera
vii. The documents and/or digital files that refer or related to item 110CDSW info from AT&T.
viii. The documents and/or digital files that refer or related to item 113CDSW info from Verizon.

G. Access to technical evidence, including but not limited to the following:
i. All DNA evidence
ii. The GPS information from any vehicle present at or stored at the property from July 11-13, 2011
iii. Ropes, knives, paintbrushes, the door with writing on it, the candle and other items seized, for forensic analysis
iv. The clear liquid from water bottle and liquid from Dr. Pepper bottle and access to the liquid for further testing
v. Security camera photos and videos of Rady Children's Hospital including but not limited to the Ronald McDonald House, from July 11 to July 13, 2011
vi. All entry and exit logs of the Spreckels mansion from July 11, 2011 through July 14, 2011
vii. Two missing photographs, #7836 and #7837, from sequentially numbered photos previously provided by the San Diego Sheriff.

H. From the Medical Examiner, the complete autopsy video and the autopsy notes of the examination of Rebecca Zahau taken by the Country's Medical Examiner as well as a sample of Rebecca's DNA.

Footnote 1: The San Diego Sheriff's Office and the Medical Examiner's Office have previously made available considerable information and evidence related to the death of Rebecca Zahau, and the family is appreciative of their efforts. By this application, we do not seek additional copies of anything that has previously been provided, with one exception.

Footnote 2: The Adam Shacknai 911 tape has an unexplained "8-second gap" at 1:43 of the 911 call during which no sound was recorded. We are informed by the Coronado Police Department, which recorded the call, that there was no "8-second gap" in the original recording. For comparison purposes, the call to police by Paul Pfingst had no such gap. We seek a new, clean copy of Adam Shacknai 911 call.

The investigation was closed 24 months ago. By law, the victim's family has a right to receive all items requested. Even without this additional evidence, IMHO no attorney worth his or her salt would file a WDS if they did not already have sufficient evidence. IOW, the Sheriff withholding the additional evidence has put himself on a very slippery slope, one that IMO will not please the Honorable Judge.

BBM.

And if the Zahaus don't have what they asked for in that lawsuit, I think there will soon be lots of "motions to compel" filed by the Zahau attorneys as discovery begins.

I'm looking forward to finding out when the defendants have been officially served, and responded to the WDS. In that filing, we will find out who is representing each of the defendants, right, and what their "response" is? They have 120 days from the July filing date to serve the complaint, according to AZlawyer, but I'd guess we will hear their response sooner than that.

I'm sure the defendants will ask for the case to be dismissed, but I'm also pretty convinced the case will proceed to discovery. And I'm hopeful it will get to a jury trial.

There is already a conference scheduled on November 1st for this particular suit for the missing evidence.

• Civil Case Management Conference scheduled for 11/01/2013 at 10:00:00 AM at Central in C-70 Randa Trapp.

Case Number: 37-2013-00047752-CU-MC-CTL
Case Location: San Diego

Date Filed: 05/08/2013
Case Title: Par vs. County of San Diego [IMAGED]
Case Status: Pending
Case Category: Civil - Unlimited Location: Central
Case Type: Misc Complaints - Other
Judicial Officer: Randa Trapp
Case Age: 129 days
Department: C-70

https://roa.sdcourt.ca.gov/roa/faces/CaseSearch.xhtml

There is already a conference scheduled on November 1st for this particular suit for the missing evidence.

• Civil Case Management Conference scheduled for 11/01/2013 at 10:00:00 AM at Central in C-70 Randa Trapp.

Case Location: San Diego

Date Filed: 05/08/2013
Case Title: Par vs. County of San Diego [IMAGED]
Case Status: Pending
Case Category: Civil - Unlimited Location: Central
Case Type: Misc Complaints - Other
Case Age: 129 days
Department: C-70

I wonder if Gore influenced which judge got this case.........here is a link that all should read about this particular judge.......she should be removed from the bench. Everything in this blog is true! randatrapp.blogsspot.com

Wow, not that is an interesting detail. The interview took place in Phoenix, and was "referred to" by Det. Tsuida in a report dated Aug 15. I wonder if it is possible Det Tsuida did the interview (Skype, or was flown in to do the interview in person) herself? And "Phoenix" makes me think it could be Jonah and/ or Dina (separately or together), and that the formal, official interview (there is a transcript, AND an audiotape, so it was not a "casual" or informal conversation!) likely took place either at a LE office or an attorney's office.

Perhaps LE was further querying Dina about her whereabouts, once they determined Jonah was seen on security videotapes, but Dina was not? Perhaps that was the interview that caused LE to have to find Dina's story suspicious, and cause them to resort to efforts to triangulate Dina's cell phone to try to establish where she was? Cell phone triangulation is pretty far down the "decision tree" of establishing someone's whereabouts. Just about at the end of the algorithm, IMO. And as we all know, the location of a cell phone is just that-- proof of where the phone was at a given point in time. Concluding that the owner was in possession of the phone is a different level of proof.

Because if there were eyewitnesses that place Dina at Max's bedside during the time in question of her whereabouts, it wouldn't have been necessary to go to the extreme step of triangulating her cell phone. Or if there were notes in the medical records.

Added thought:
What if the Rady staff WERE interviewed, and no one remembered seeing Dina at Max's bedside in the hours in question? Or they remembered seeing her in the PICU, but couldn't say for sure if they saw her on that date at the specific time in question?

What if there is documentation in his records by Max's nurses that his mother left for the night, or left the bedside?

Either of those situations would be legitimate reasons to resort to cell triangulation, IMO.

BBM: The interview took place July 26, Det. Tsuida's report was dated August 15. Det. Tsuida was not present at the September 2 press conference.

Carioca posted this on the "Was Rebecca's Death a Homicide or Suicide" thread on 8-26-13:
"Angela Tsuida has proven to be an exemplary detective who allowed NOTHING to deter her from bringing justice to murder victim Charles Schoeneman. So who was it that hijacked her homicide investigation into the death of Rebecca Zahu? IMO if we find the answer to that question, we find out who is responsible for Rebecca's murder and the subsequent fork-in-the-road = coverup. "

July 13 to September 2 was a long time to wait to get the results of Rebecca's death investigation. One would assume that over this long period of time everything was being pored over again and again, that every single minute detail was methodically uncovered, no stone unturned, checked and double-checked, in this extremely high profile case. Yet we find so many tests undone, loose ends, words like "likely," "probably," etc.

IMO, something happened internally within the SDSO investigative team that led Sheriff Gore to decide to dismiss/disregard any homicide findings. The July 26 interview in Phoenix may have been a tipping point to dismiss Det. Tsuida from the case. IIRC, the August 15 report of the interview was her last in the case. And/or investigative work was put "on hold" at the very beginning of the investigation for some reason.

Then in mid-August they 1) concocted their suicide story based on their cherry-picked facts and "science." 2) made the unprofessional and preposterous video of the police dept. employee disengaging from knots behind her back :sick:, and 3) threw together their very amateur Powerpoint presentation.

<respectfully snipped by me for focus>

Then in mid-August they 1) concocted their suicide story based on their cherry-picked facts and "science." 2) made the unprofessional and preposterous video of the police dept. employee disengaging from knots behind her back :sick:, and 3) threw together their very amateur Powerpoint presentation.

In reference to your 2) point on your list.

Does anyone know on what date they actually made that video? Has anyone, the Z family attorneys especially ever seen the raw version of it?

TIA!

BBM: The interview took place July 26, Det. Tsuida's report was dated August 15. Det. Tsuida was not present at the September 2 press conference.

Carioca posted this on the "Was Rebecca's Death a Homicide or Suicide" thread on 8-26-13:
"Angela Tsuida has proven to be an exemplary detective who allowed NOTHING to deter her from bringing justice to murder victim Charles Schoeneman. So who was it that hijacked her homicide investigation into the death of Rebecca Zahu? IMO if we find the answer to that question, we find out who is responsible for Rebecca's murder and the subsequent fork-in-the-road = coverup. "

July 13 to September 2 was a long time to wait to get the results of Rebecca's death investigation. One would assume that over this long period of time everything was being pored over again and again, that every single minute detail was methodically uncovered, no stone unturned, checked and double-checked, in this extremely high profile case. Yet we find so many tests undone, loose ends, words like "likely," "probably," etc.

IMO, something happened internally within the SDSO investigative team that led Sheriff Gore to decide to dismiss/disregard any homicide findings. The July 26 interview in Phoenix may have been a tipping point to dismiss Det. Tsuida from the case. IIRC, the August 15 report of the interview was her last in the case. And/or investigative work was put "on hold" at the very beginning of the investigation for some reason.

Then in mid-August they 1) threw together their Powerpoint presentation (choke), 2) made the unprofessional and preposterous video of the police dept. employee disengaging from knots behind her back :sick:, and 3) concocted their suicide story based on their cherry-picked facts and "science."

Am I off base to think it should be standard procedure to test everything seized? I.e., if they seize the panties, they test them. If there is blood in several places, they test it all, etc. I think we would all make that assumption. I actually wonder if they DID test some of these things but claim they didn't because it didn't fit their narrative.

Is anyone else thinking along this line?

It did seem to me that there was an effort to avoid acquiring evidence in some cases, as with the deleted voice mail on Rebecca's mobile phone. IIRC, the investigator said he/she was aware deleted voice mails remain on the server for a certain number of days (30?) but he/she neglected to check the phone until one or two days after that deadline. Maybe this was Tsuida? I don't know. But IIRC the investigator acknowledged awareness of the specific time limit from work on a previous case, so seems odd to wait until one or two days after the deadline unless you'd rather not retrieve the message.

All of the above is just my opinion.

It did seem to me that there was an effort to avoid acquiring evidence in some cases, as with the deleted voice mail on Rebecca's mobile phone. IIRC, the investigator said he/she was aware deleted voice mails remain on the server for a certain number of days (30?) but he/she neglected to check the phone until one or two days after that deadline. Maybe this was Tsuida? I don't know. But IIRC the investigator acknowledged awareness of the specific time limit from work on a previous case, so seems odd to wait until one or two days after the deadline unless you'd rather not retrieve the message.

All of the above is just my opinion.

IMO this was deliberate.

I'd be interested to know who AS's attorney will be and who will be footing the bill for that attorney's services. Always thought AS's 911 call was an extremely poor acting job. JMO

JMO but who, upon reviewing RZ in the position AS found her would say "Got a girl here, hung herself"?

I wonder if Gore influenced which judge got this case.........here is a link that all should read about this particular judge.......she should be removed from the bench. Everything in this blog is true! randatrapp.blogsspot.com

Misspelling in your link:

blogspot.com has only one s so it's randatrapp.blogspot.com

I never believe only one source, lol. So I spent a little time reading a whole BUNCH of stuff on this particular Judge. I couldn't find a single source praising her. But there is much, much criticism of her record and judicial decisions.

Safe to say she is a controversial figure, and not widely respected. There are several sites that graph out how her judicial decisions have been overturned more than any other SD judge at her level. That is pretty objective information, IMO.

Kittichi....I have been thinking the SAME THING for a long time. I'm bumping up some information I alluded to a couple of weeks ago:
[quote I was extremely surprised at the lapse in acquiring "cell phone information." And, the reason being, the case that won Tsuida, homicide detective of the year.....there were more than 70 SEARCH WARRANTS issued for cell/phone recordsBut, then again..."outside" (more thorough, funded?) agencies were brought in for assistance.
San Diego Homicide Detective Angela TsuidaNamed California Homicide Investigators Association&#8217;s 2010 CHIA Investigator of the YearWritten by Kay Ochi
http://www.scribd.com/doc/37126792/Borderline-July-2010
(just wanted to make sure I got my source in place)
=kittychi;9838171]IMO this was deliberate.[/quote]

When I originally read the aforementioned article I was utterly astonished and astounded to come upon the info on the 70 search warrants for cell/phone records!!! Guess the importance of cell phone records can NEVER be overlooked in solving a homicide, huh?
Just another one of those DARNED COINCIDENCES....
And this quote from the same article, "It is very difficult, but not impossible for a woman to be successful in a male-dominated workplace if they&#8216;play the game&#8217; right."
Dang, I wish I hadn't read that.

I left some questions about how this case meshes with the civil wrongful death lawsuit in the "Questions for Verified Lawyers" thread:

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9844820&postcount=148"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Curiosity Never Kills the Cat: Legal Questions for VERIFIED LAWYERS[/ame]

Today! Wish I could be a fly on the wall in C-70.. There are numerous previous cases against SD County and/or Gore. Every single one I checked on were dismissed. Remaining positive (against all odds) that this one will be the exception and Randa Trapp will surprise us all by abiding by the law and decreeing ALL evidence and personal items cited and requested be delivered to Rebecca's family immediately.

Zahau civil case against defendants William D. Gore, Dr Glenn Wagner and County of San Diego

Case number: 37-2013-00047752-CU-MC-CTL
Case Title: Par vs. County of San Diego
Case Type: Misc. Complaints - other (return of evidence)

Civil Case Management Conference scheduled for 11/01/2013 at 10:00:00 AM at Central in C-70 Randa Trapp.

:scale:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mel18