Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #109

Status
Not open for further replies.
After months of deliberation about whether or not we should take a cruise in January 2023, DH and I finalized our plans for the 10-night Caribbean sailing. We booked an evening flight to Fort Lauderdale and will spend one night at a hotel near the cruise port. At this time, there are no special restrictions or testing requirements for fully vaccinated passengers, and unvaccinated passengers are also welcome with proof of Covid test three days prior to sailing. Of course, a lot can happen between now and late January, so we will continue to check our booking for updates over the next four months. Airline tickets and cruise are fully insured, and hotel accommodations can be cancelled at any time without penalty.

Last edited:
During a CBS “60 Minutes” interview that aired on Sunday, President Joe Biden said the SARS CoV-2 pandemic was over. The most remarkable thing about his words might be that many people will believe, or worse, amplify, them in the most literal sense.

After all, our country was already in a place where there could be substantial disagreement on whether the nearly 65,000 preventable Covid-related deaths to date since April 30 — around when deaths from the massive BA1 omicron variant surge subsided — could constitute the pandemic being over.

If Biden was referring to the emergency phase of the pandemic being over, his statement is in some ways correct — at least for now. This is largely because the health care system is not currently overwhelmed by Covid patients, vaccines are widely available (including for children), there are substantial levels of hybrid immunity (for the moment) and we have very effective prophylactics and treatments for those who are vulnerable to a severe outcome...

‘Very Harmful’ Lack of Data Blunts U.S. Response to Outbreaks
Major data gaps, the result of decades of underinvestment in public health, have undercut the government response to the coronavirus and now to monkeypox.

Well this certainly looks familiar. Autumn begins and cases are rising in the northeast.

Overall (nationwide) cases and hospitalizations are decreasing while deaths increase.

Attachments

• 8D6781E3-28C6-4D65-A494-1FA7BE961F8A.jpeg
    8D6781E3-28C6-4D65-A494-1FA7BE961F8A.jpeg
    78.2 KB · Views: 11
I got my third booster in July- it has been only a little more than a couple months and I am not comfortable getting another booster so soon. I think I will wait until 4 or 5 months before i get the bivalent booster.

Here’s info to consider…

Right now I’m 4 months out from my booster and I’m getting both booster and flu shot ASAP. I’d probably get the booster if I were only 2 months out simply because we’re heading into the “sick season.” :eek:

I got my third booster in July- it has been only a little more than a couple months and I am not comfortable getting another booster so soon. I think I will wait until 4 or 5 months before i get the bivalent booster.
DH and I also got our second boosters in July. I agree that it seems too soon to get another. We will plan on getting the bivalent booster closer to our cruise at the end of January, unless there is a major uptick in cases. We will get our annual flu shots in mid-October.

My medical group sent out a notification via our patient portal to get the new boosters as soon as possible, wait time was two months since last booster.

Getting a booster every 3-5 months doesn’t bother me, getting Covid does. Long Covid especially.

I’m not a lucky person. Plus who takes of the caregiver when he/she is sick, been there done that.
JMO

Apologies if I already posted these

Why Omicron Might Stick Around - The New York Times​

Sept. 22, 2022Updated 9:45 a.m. ET
Omicron, the 13th named variant of the coronavirus, seems to have a remarkable capacity to evolve new tricks.

Last edited:
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s government will end its mandatory vaccination, testing and quarantine requirements for international travelers at the end of the month.

The removal of border restrictions puts Canada alongside dozens of countries in entering a new phase of the COVID-19 pandemic by ending measures meant to slow the spread of the virus.

Starting Saturday, all travelers entering Canada will no longer be required to provide proof of vaccination, undergo testing, quarantine or isolate, or submit public health information to the government’s app or website, officials said Monday morning in Ottawa...

DH and I also got our second boosters in July. I agree that it seems too soon to get another. We will plan on getting the bivalent booster closer to our cruise at the end of January, unless there is a major uptick in cases. We will get our annual flu shots in mid-October.

Makes good sense

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s government will end its mandatory vaccination, testing and quarantine requirements for international travelers at the end of the month.

The removal of border restrictions puts Canada alongside dozens of countries in entering a new phase of the COVID-19 pandemic by ending measures meant to slow the spread of the virus.

Starting Saturday, all travelers entering Canada will no longer be required to provide proof of vaccination, undergo testing, quarantine or isolate, or submit public health information to the government’s app or website, officials said Monday morning in Ottawa...

I heard today on the news that the 90% of Canadians are vaccinated- unlike here in the US where it might be 60+ something of people vaccinated. That is why they have changed their policy.

I plan to continue to mask up in health care facilities or at a doctor's office. Yesterday I went to see my podiatrist- she told me she has several patients who have had Covid. She requires masking in her office. It is a small office with a small waiting room.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zootopian2