Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #110

Status
Not open for further replies.
I prefer the new name - Postacute Sequelae instead of Long Covid- It sounds much more serious- as it definitely is very serious.

Hey Wings...

Sadly Dr. O has it now.

“Dr. Osterholm: [00:01:42] Thank you, Chris. And welcome back to all of you who are a part of the podcast Family. You know who you are and to anyone who might be listening for the first time, we welcome you and hope that we're able to provide you the kind of information that you're looking for. Let me begin by saying that the last several weeks have been, frankly, overwhelming for me in a way that you can understand. Yes, I am still having some challenges with what might be called long COVID or as we'll talk more today about a more formal title and have had long days with fatigue that have made it sometimes very difficult for me to keep up the schedule that I had before. But I think I am getting better. And in that regard, that's that's good. But the outreach that I have had with so many of you who have sent cards and letters and emails and even some packages, I can't begin to adequately express to you my appreciation for that. You know, it's this podcast was never supposed to be about me. It's supposed to be about a virus that we're all trying to take on. And if anything, it's about you. And you have been so kind, so kind in sharing with me your own life stories, sharing the ideas of what a beautiful place can look like, literally and figuratively...”

[...]

“Chris Dall: [00:16:41] Now to long COVID, which will likely be a significant topic of discussion on this podcast going forward. A team led by researchers at Massachusetts General Hospital published a paper in Jama last week that developed a preliminary definition of post-acute sequelae of SARS-CoV-2 infection or long COVID. Based on 12 symptoms that continue to affect people six months or more after infection. Mike, what did you make of this paper and how important is the development of a definition of long COVID?

Dr. Osterholm: [00:17:11] Well, let me first start out, Chris, by acknowledging that this is an issue that many listeners have been asking about. And as I've already shared with you in this podcast, I have an intense personal interest in this long COVID, as it's been called by so many of us, is clearly one of the biggest concerns that we have right now as pertains to the pandemic. As we just described, weekly COVID hospitalizations and deaths may be low, but long COVID persists as an issue affecting millions of people around the world. Now, this study, which you highlighted in your question, is actually part of what's called the RECOVERY system, an NIH sponsored effort to learn more about the post sequelae. Illnesses associated with COVID recovery actually stands for Researching COVID to Enhance Recovery. And the work that was done here was initiated back in 2022. Now, there's another term that we need to come to understand because we're trying to move away from the concept of long COVID. It was a good term to help people first understand that there was something happening on the back side of acute COVID. But today we're now calling this post-acute sequelae of SARS-CoV-2 infection, as you noted, and we're calling that PASC. So when you hear me talking about PASC, you'll know what I'm talking about.

Dr. Osterholm: [00:18:30] Now, in terms of this study, yes, it did come from a group at Massachusetts General Hospital, but it actually involved 85 different sites in 33 different states, including the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico. So it's a really geographically very representative sample of people that participated in this. And what they did is actually bring together 9800 participants, 89% of whom were infected with SARS-CoV-2. The study reported results for three sub cohorts an acute omicron infection sub cohort, a post-acute pre omicron infection sub cohort and then a post-acute omicron infection sub cohort. So in other words, trying to understand what happened before Omicron, what happened during Omicron and what's happened since that time. And it was of note that among the entire cohort, infected individuals had 1.5 or more times the odds of experiencing 37 different symptoms than uninfected individuals that they followed. Symptoms were experienced at a much higher frequency in the infected group compared to the uninfected group, including exercise, fatigue, malaise, dizziness, brain fog, GI symptoms, etcetera. And what the researchers did is they used this data to create a score by assessing different scores to 12 different long COVID symptoms. A loss of smell or taste had the highest score of eight post-exertional malaise, or in other words, feeling fatigued after exercise, had a score of seven chronic cough, had a score of four brain fog and thirst, had scores of three palpitations and chest pain, had scores of two and fatigue lowered sexual desire or capacity, dizziness, GI symptoms and abnormal movements all had scores of one.

Dr. Osterholm: [00:20:24] Individuals with total scores of 12 or higher are considered to have PASC. So, for example, someone experiencing just thirst and fatigue would have a score of four which would not meet the threshold of PASC according to the scoring system, but someone experiencing post-exertional malaise. Chest pain, brain fog and dizziness would have a score of 14 which would exceed the threshold for PASC. So I think the importance of this study is there's now really an effort to try to define what is actually happening with people following these acute episodes. And as I pointed out, I surely have a true interest in this very issue. I also want to highlight a piece of hopeful information from this study. The researchers found that the proportion of PASC positive infected participants was higher in the post-acute pre-Omicron group than the post-acute Omicron group, meaning that those who were infected before Omicron had a higher rate of past positive illness than those after Omicron showed up.

Dr. Osterholm: [00:21:29] And this proportion of individuals who experienced PASC is still far higher than we anyone would hope it could be. But it's a good sign that it appears to be declining as the virus evolves and that vaccination may at least to some extent protect against PASC. So we still have a lot of questions left about what are the drugs that might be effective in dealing with this, What is the short and long term treatment outcomes? But you need to first define the illness or illnesses that people are experiencing, and that's what this study has really done. And so my hats off to the NIH for this effort. It's been a long time in coming, but it's finally I now highlighting, I think the really. Certain aspect of PASC and that this is something that is real is something that for many of you who are listeners here, you know, you've had it. You understand you've had it. I understand you've had it as I understand my own health situation. So I can only hope that with time we're going to see more and more improvement with regard to past occurrence. And of course, we all hope that we can find therapeutic regimens that will help reduce the symptoms and not just leave it to time to get better.”

Hey Wings...

Sadly Dr. O has it now.

“Dr. Osterholm: [00:01:42] Thank you, Chris. And welcome back to all of you who are a part of the podcast Family. You know who you are and to anyone who might be listening for the first time, we welcome you and hope that we're able to provide you the kind of information that you're looking for. Let me begin by saying that the last several weeks have been, frankly, overwhelming for me in a way that you can understand. Yes, I am still having some challenges with what might be called long COVID or as we'll talk more today about a more formal title and have had long days with fatigue that have made it sometimes very difficult for me to keep up the schedule that I had before. But I think I am getting better. And in that regard, that's that's good. But the outreach that I have had with so many of you who have sent cards and letters and emails and even some packages, I can't begin to adequately express to you my appreciation for that. You know, it's this podcast was never supposed to be about me. It's supposed to be about a virus that we're all trying to take on. And if anything, it's about you. And you have been so kind, so kind in sharing with me your own life stories, sharing the ideas of what a beautiful place can look like, literally and figuratively...”

[...]

“Chris Dall: [00:16:41] Now to long COVID, which will likely be a significant topic of discussion on this podcast going forward. A team led by researchers at Massachusetts General Hospital published a paper in Jama last week that developed a preliminary definition of post-acute sequelae of SARS-CoV-2 infection or long COVID. Based on 12 symptoms that continue to affect people six months or more after infection. Mike, what did you make of this paper and how important is the development of a definition of long COVID?

Dr. Osterholm: [00:17:11] Well, let me first start out, Chris, by acknowledging that this is an issue that many listeners have been asking about. And as I've already shared with you in this podcast, I have an intense personal interest in this long COVID, as it's been called by so many of us, is clearly one of the biggest concerns that we have right now as pertains to the pandemic. As we just described, weekly COVID hospitalizations and deaths may be low, but long COVID persists as an issue affecting millions of people around the world. Now, this study, which you highlighted in your question, is actually part of what's called the RECOVERY system, an NIH sponsored effort to learn more about the post sequelae. Illnesses associated with COVID recovery actually stands for Researching COVID to Enhance Recovery. And the work that was done here was initiated back in 2022. Now, there's another term that we need to come to understand because we're trying to move away from the concept of long COVID. It was a good term to help people first understand that there was something happening on the back side of acute COVID. But today we're now calling this post-acute sequelae of SARS-CoV-2 infection, as you noted, and we're calling that PASC. So when you hear me talking about PASC, you'll know what I'm talking about.

Dr. Osterholm: [00:18:30] Now, in terms of this study, yes, it did come from a group at Massachusetts General Hospital, but it actually involved 85 different sites in 33 different states, including the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico. So it's a really geographically very representative sample of people that participated in this. And what they did is actually bring together 9800 participants, 89% of whom were infected with SARS-CoV-2. The study reported results for three sub cohorts an acute omicron infection sub cohort, a post-acute pre omicron infection sub cohort and then a post-acute omicron infection sub cohort. So in other words, trying to understand what happened before Omicron, what happened during Omicron and what's happened since that time. And it was of note that among the entire cohort, infected individuals had 1.5 or more times the odds of experiencing 37 different symptoms than uninfected individuals that they followed. Symptoms were experienced at a much higher frequency in the infected group compared to the uninfected group, including exercise, fatigue, malaise, dizziness, brain fog, GI symptoms, etcetera. And what the researchers did is they used this data to create a score by assessing different scores to 12 different long COVID symptoms. A loss of smell or taste had the highest score of eight post-exertional malaise, or in other words, feeling fatigued after exercise, had a score of seven chronic cough, had a score of four brain fog and thirst, had scores of three palpitations and chest pain, had scores of two and fatigue lowered sexual desire or capacity, dizziness, GI symptoms and abnormal movements all had scores of one.

Dr. Osterholm: [00:20:24] Individuals with total scores of 12 or higher are considered to have PASC. So, for example, someone experiencing just thirst and fatigue would have a score of four which would not meet the threshold of PASC according to the scoring system, but someone experiencing post-exertional malaise. Chest pain, brain fog and dizziness would have a score of 14 which would exceed the threshold for PASC. So I think the importance of this study is there's now really an effort to try to define what is actually happening with people following these acute episodes. And as I pointed out, I surely have a true interest in this very issue. I also want to highlight a piece of hopeful information from this study. The researchers found that the proportion of PASC positive infected participants was higher in the post-acute pre-Omicron group than the post-acute Omicron group, meaning that those who were infected before Omicron had a higher rate of past positive illness than those after Omicron showed up.

Dr. Osterholm: [00:21:29] And this proportion of individuals who experienced PASC is still far higher than we anyone would hope it could be. But it's a good sign that it appears to be declining as the virus evolves and that vaccination may at least to some extent protect against PASC. So we still have a lot of questions left about what are the drugs that might be effective in dealing with this, What is the short and long term treatment outcomes? But you need to first define the illness or illnesses that people are experiencing, and that's what this study has really done. And so my hats off to the NIH for this effort. It's been a long time in coming, but it's finally I now highlighting, I think the really. Certain aspect of PASC and that this is something that is real is something that for many of you who are listeners here, you know, you've had it. You understand you've had it. I understand you've had it as I understand my own health situation. So I can only hope that with time we're going to see more and more improvement with regard to past occurrence. And of course, we all hope that we can find therapeutic regimens that will help reduce the symptoms and not just leave it to time to get better.”

I am sorry to hear that Dr O is afflicted with post acute sequelae of this nasty virus.

Yeah...me too, bless his heart. He tried SO HARD not to get it, and this was always a big fear/concern for him.
One of his older podcasts tells the story of the weekend when he was exposed--although he doesn't know how/where exactly he was exposed. There was a dinner party on a Friday and everyone there got Covid, but those who also attended a Saturday dinner party didn't get Covid. Go figure!

Excerpt from transcript:
On March 10th, a week ago last Friday, we had a wonderful evening at our home. It was my 70th birthday. Fern and I were celebrating dinner together with one of our dearest friends from CIDRAP. We did the Osterholm protocol as it's become known. We had no known exposures to anyone in the five previous days that had COVID. We had no symptoms whatsoever, not even a sniffle. And we all tested negative.

Dr. Osterholm: [00:06:25] We enjoyed the time here for dinner. And then we went to a small music venue here in the Twin Cities area. All of us, with our N95s on me, with my face fitted N95. And we went down our elevator in our condo building here. No one around. We were in the elevator, as was been timed about 27 seconds, got in our car, got to the venue, put our N95s on before we walked in. We're there for an hour and 45 minutes in a large room with very few people. It was a small venue but yet separated. We then left the venue, took our N95s off when we actually got to the car. Well, then Saturday night, the 11th, we had four guests over to our condo for dinner. Same Osterholm protocol. In fact, also the third person that was with us, the one on Friday night, also had entertained someone on Saturday night at their place. And we had wonderful, enjoyable evenings that Saturday night on the 11th, we were together for almost 4.5 hours, and it was just magic for my soul. Well, Sunday afternoon, all three of us who were there on Friday night started to feel ill. The kind of classic early onset symptoms you think of with COVID started to develop upper respiratory symptoms, just feeling very tired, sluggish, feeling, some tightness in my chest. And we all tested negative Sunday night. The 11th symptoms continued to worsen for all three of us. Again, onsets were very similar in time and by Monday morning we still were testing negative.

Dr. Osterholm: [00:08:01] But that afternoon one of us tested positive and shortly thereafter all three of us did. We had COVID. I finally, after three years of doing everything I could to prevent becoming infected with this virus, I did. Now, when I look back on it, I do not have an explanation for how I got it. The people who were with us on Saturday night, none of them got infected. It was clear that, in fact, had we been infectious on Friday night, we surely would have infected them on Saturday night. Between the three of us, we had 15 doses of vaccine, five each. We were in 95. The only possible exposure I can think of was, in fact, in that elevator. But there was no one around 27 seconds from door opening to door, closing to door, opening, door closing. And it just would have to be a very, very high infectious dose with even 5 to 6 inhalations that would have occurred during that time. I tell you this, first of all, to say, for those who have gotten infected before, I now understand what it feels like, where you're asking yourself, what did I do? How did I do this? What's wrong? And you didn't fail. You didn't fail then. I didn't fail. And yet I know that I feel with this virus that somehow I should have done something better, something different. I still believe strongly in the protection of the N95 respirator as appropriately worn.

One of his older podcasts tells the story of the weekend when he was exposed--although he doesn't know how/where exactly he was exposed. There was a dinner party on a Friday and everyone there got Covid, but those who also attended a Saturday dinner party didn't get Covid. Go figure!

Excerpt from transcript:
On March 10th, a week ago last Friday, we had a wonderful evening at our home. It was my 70th birthday. Fern and I were celebrating dinner together with one of our dearest friends from CIDRAP. We did the Osterholm protocol as it's become known. We had no known exposures to anyone in the five previous days that had COVID. We had no symptoms whatsoever, not even a sniffle. And we all tested negative.

Dr. Osterholm: [00:06:25] We enjoyed the time here for dinner. And then we went to a small music venue here in the Twin Cities area. All of us, with our N95s on me, with my face fitted N95. And we went down our elevator in our condo building here. No one around. We were in the elevator, as was been timed about 27 seconds, got in our car, got to the venue, put our N95s on before we walked in. We're there for an hour and 45 minutes in a large room with very few people. It was a small venue but yet separated. We then left the venue, took our N95s off when we actually got to the car. Well, then Saturday night, the 11th, we had four guests over to our condo for dinner. Same Osterholm protocol. In fact, also the third person that was with us, the one on Friday night, also had entertained someone on Saturday night at their place. And we had wonderful, enjoyable evenings that Saturday night on the 11th, we were together for almost 4.5 hours, and it was just magic for my soul. Well, Sunday afternoon, all three of us who were there on Friday night started to feel ill. The kind of classic early onset symptoms you think of with COVID started to develop upper respiratory symptoms, just feeling very tired, sluggish, feeling, some tightness in my chest. And we all tested negative Sunday night. The 11th symptoms continued to worsen for all three of us. Again, onsets were very similar in time and by Monday morning we still were testing negative.

Dr. Osterholm: [00:08:01] But that afternoon one of us tested positive and shortly thereafter all three of us did. We had COVID. I finally, after three years of doing everything I could to prevent becoming infected with this virus, I did. Now, when I look back on it, I do not have an explanation for how I got it. The people who were with us on Saturday night, none of them got infected. It was clear that, in fact, had we been infectious on Friday night, we surely would have infected them on Saturday night. Between the three of us, we had 15 doses of vaccine, five each. We were in 95. The only possible exposure I can think of was, in fact, in that elevator. But there was no one around 27 seconds from door opening to door, closing to door, opening, door closing. And it just would have to be a very, very high infectious dose with even 5 to 6 inhalations that would have occurred during that time. I tell you this, first of all, to say, for those who have gotten infected before, I now understand what it feels like, where you're asking yourself, what did I do? How did I do this? What's wrong? And you didn't fail. You didn't fail then. I didn't fail. And yet I know that I feel with this virus that somehow I should have done something better, something different. I still believe strongly in the protection of the N95 respirator as appropriately worn.
It really is a mystery as to how he got infected. There is nothing more he could have done-- very strange set of circumstances.

It really is a mystery as to how he got infected. There is nothing more he could have done-- very strange set of circumstances.
I'd venture a guess that it was eating with other people where everyone is maskless (since you can't eat wearing a mask). Not something I'd do, now, or possibly ever again with the way things are going. :( I even stopped attending Xmas and Thanksgiving dinners since 2020. But I feel like I'm overly cautious, especially when I see just about everyone else out and about without a mask.

I hate to hear about his bout with Long Covid. Has he been I'll since mid-March?

This part of the article you posted just really surprises and saddens me. :(

What’s in use in the U.S. now are combination shots from Pfizer and Moderna that mix the original strain with protection against last year’s most common omicron variants, called BA.4 and BA.5. But just 17% of Americans rolled up their sleeves for a combo booster.

Also from your article:

Those currently available shots do still help prevent severe disease and death even as XBB variants have taken over.

Look like they can give a 1 sentence answer to my Q for the CDC I had upthread. Wish the CDC had done that instead of information overload! lol Sometimes we want a lot of info, sometimes we just want the answer. lol

This part of the article you posted just really surprises and saddens me. :(

What’s in use in the U.S. now are combination shots from Pfizer and Moderna that mix the original strain with protection against last year’s most common omicron variants, called BA.4 and BA.5. But just 17% of Americans rolled up their sleeves for a combo booster.
DH and I got the bivalent booster last September, and today we had a second one because we have travel scheduled in July. The new version, targeting the XBB variants, will come out this fall and we'll no doubt get that one too.

Advisers to the Food and Drug Administration on Thursday recommended updating the Covid vaccines to target a circulating strain of the virus, while pushing for newer vaccines that provide longer-lasting protection.

The FDA’s Vaccines and Related Biological Products Advisory Committee voted unanimously in support of tweaking the shots to target an XBB strain, as well as dropping the original coronavirus strain from the formulation.

The committee did not, however, make a formal recommendation on which specific XBB lineage the updated boosters should target, nor did it make a recommendation on who should get the shots and when. The latter will likely be left up to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, which has its own advisory committee meeting next week...

I have a question: I have not had a booster since July of 2022-- I am trying to get myself to the point to get the Bivalent booster. In any event I wonder if there is any protection after a year -- I had four vaccine shots- and would think there is still some protection (though I could be wrong)----

I have a question: I have not had a booster since July of 2022-- I am trying to get myself to the point to get the Bivalent booster. In any event I wonder if there is any protection after a year -- I had four vaccine shots- and would think there is still some protection (though I could be wrong)----
I didn't realize you still haven't gotten a bivalent booster. IMO, you should go ahead and get one right away in case you get exposed to Covid before the updated booster becomes available later this year. Then get the updated version in the fall. Have you discussed this with your doctor?

I didn't realize you still haven't gotten a bivalent booster. IMO, you should go ahead and get one right away in case you get exposed to Covid before the updated booster becomes available later this year. Then get the updated version in the fall. Have you discussed this with your doctor?
I know I need to get the bivalent and have been advised by my doctor to do so. I have some
concerns about the bivalent but realize I am being foolish waiting so long to get the vaccine.
I got the other jabs without much anxiety, but for some reaon I am anxious about the bivalent.

Not much protection at all IMO. The vaccine wains fairly quickly.

Protection conferred by mRNA vaccines against moderate (emergency department or urgent care) and severe (hospital admission) covid-19 waned during the months after primary vaccination, increased substantially after the third dose, and waned again by four to five months.

And from the CDC:

Vaccine effectiveness (VE) against COVID-19–associated emergency department/urgent care (ED/UC) visits and hospitalizations was higher after the third dose than after the second dose but waned with time since vaccination. During the Omicron-predominant period, VE against COVID-19–associated ED/UC visits and hospitalizations was 87% and 91%, respectively, during the 2 months after a third dose and decreased to 66% and 78% by the fourth month after a third dose. Protection against hospitalizations exceeded that against ED/UC visits.

My husband and I got the bivalent booster in November 2022, about 7 months ago. If the next booster targets the variant that is now circulating in the U.S., the XBB variant, then we would prefer to get that booster as soon as it is ready. If we get another bivalent booster now that targets the original strain and omicron variant B.4 and B.5, then we will have to wait four months until we are eligible for the XBB booster shot which would be mid-October.

I think we might wait until the XBB booster is available, I think they might try to have it ready by the start of the school year, so sometime in late August or early September, but who knows.

We aren't doing any travelling or eating inside restaurants or being in large crowds of people right now, so we may wait until the XBB vaccine is available.

It's always such a hard call.

Edited for typos and to add omicron variant strain that is targeted in the spring 2022 bivalent booster. (I think that was omicron B.4 and B.5, IIRC)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member