Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #78

Status
Not open for further replies.
100 % agree with you. Unfortunately, there will be no getting around the devastation being wrought on our small businesses in the years to come.
Sorrowful History is being written right now.
Unnecessary history due to really stupid leaders.
In my own opinion.

This is going to go down in the history books, for sure.
Just as we read about the pandemic of 1918/19/20 ... generations to come will read about the pandemic of 2020/21/22.

IMO

Wouldn't it be nice if we could skip 2022 being included in that date range? I hope we can.

Last edited:
Yes - I was agreeing with you. It has nothing to do with "leadership." In fact, without the strong leadership NY had, things would be even worse.

And yes, it's happening all over. In California, people are abandoning their hilltop houses (surrounded by flammable brush) if they can.

Anyone who lives in a single family dwelling with just 1-2 other people is in way better shape than people who have to live in high rises, especially those with long shared hallways, crowded elevators and sometimes, shared ventilation/sewer drains. And the more rural the place, the easier to isolate, for sure. Amazon delivers everywhere apparently (saw a truck in the middle of what used to be nowhere on a drive two days ago).

Reshaping of our human environment (with population flowing toward coastlines where it's cooler) has been predicted since the 60's and it's actually culminating in over-building in cities and urbanites flooding the more suburban/rural areas. Perhaps it will help the local economies in places that are economically depressed. That would be nice.

Louisiana has the most CoVid cases per capita. Florida is in second place - and yet, apparently, people are still moving there. Mississippi is in third place.

All three of these places are in the so-called "Southern trough" of real estate. It's very hard to move out once you move in (because property values are lower and people are unable to scrape together enough to move).

IOW, those three states have now managed to pass New York and New Jersey in terms of per capita cases.

And Florida...is leading the nation in terms of active cases, which is a key indicator if you're thinking of moving or traveling. California is in second place but has nearly twice as many people as Florida, with Georgia in third place, despite having only one-quarter the population of California and one-half the population of Florida.

And Arizona has an honorable mention as it is fourth place in both active cases and total cases. Arizona is projected to have more than 5000 additional CoVid deaths between now and New Year's Day.

Unfortunately, California is projected to have an additional 30,000 deaths by New Year's. Sheer size of cities is one feature, poorer people will continue to be the main demographic. Younger people are more and more represented in the new case numbers.

COVID-19 deaths among young and working age Latinos skyrocket in California, study finds

United States Coronavirus: 6,874,596 Cases and 202,213 Deaths - Worldometer

If Californians actually started wearing their masks when outside their own households (and social distancing), we could bring those deaths down to 20,000, maybe fewer.

From your link is this paragraph.

"The differences in health outcomes related to COVID-19 are most stark in COVID-19 deaths. We have nearly complete data on race and ethnicity for COVID-19 deaths, and we are seeing the following trends: Latinos, African Americans and Native Hawaiians and Pacific Islanders are dying at disproportionately higher levels. More males are dying from COVID-19 than females, in line with national trends.

For the additional information, visit COVID-19 Race and Ethnicity Data. "

The reason I highlight this is that having just looked at the deaths per million by country, with Spain so very hard hit at number 5 and most of the top 10 being Hispanic origin, it does seem to be affecting that race disproportionately.

Also, regarding the 30,000 more Californian deaths by New Year, that seems excessive when there has only been 14,000 up to now.

Last edited:
I don’t see “strong leadership” cited in the link as what has “led to” the Pandemic Exodus from NY. You seem to be drawing that conclusion but that’s your opinion. There are probably as many reasons as there are people who are leaving. :)
JMO

I don't think leadership or the pandemic are the only reasons people are leaving. I don't think it is presently a safe environment for many reasons. It seems to be presently lawless ATM. People being shot, just walking their dog for one example.
MOO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member