Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Carb day is apparently on the agenda today. Left over sausage from calzone night is biscuits and gravy for brunch. Boneless pork chops were on sale so we are having pork sandwiches for dinner. All gluten free. Usually for ease i avoid bread but occasionally I’ll get a craving and make some.

Greetings from not-so-sunny Fort Lauderdale. We have some time before we have to leave for the ship, so I thought I'd give you a pre-cruise food report. First off, on the plane, a woman sitting across the aisle and one row forward of me opened a small bag of what looked like Reese's Pieces. Several of the candies ended up in the aisle, a few next to my seat. A few minutes later, the lead flight attendant made an announcement that there was a customer onboard with a severe peanut allergy and for passengers to please put away any peanut products. First time I recall hearing such an announcement, but I'm glad that customer safety, including food allergies, is a priority,

DH and I both watched full-length movies during our flight; makes the time "fly" by :D I had sparkling water, DH had tomato juice, but we passed on the BBQ chips.

After we arrived at the hotel, we decided against walking to a nearby restaurant and, instead, went down to the lounge for something to eat and some wine. The full-service restaurant in the hotel only serves breakfast; the lounge opens at 11:00 and stays open late for cocktails, lunch, and dinner. They used to have a limited nibbles menu but now serve regular meals. DH had a club sandwich, and I asked if I could order the kid's chicken tenders meal. Best chicken tenders ever, and the meals came with fries, sweet potato fries, or salad. DH got fries, and I got the salad which was wonderful - so many types of greens with cucumber and tomato. We enjoyed a decent bottle of pinot grigio, went back to our room and watched figure skating. My birthday dinner was an unexpected surprise!

Time to say goodbye.
We watched figure skating last night too. Wishing you smooth sailing!

Sundays are meal prep days to make the week easier. My husband wants Sauerkraut Soup for lunch for the week and I can’t decide what I want. I have some red beans and rice leftovers I’ll portion out and freeze and use that as needed. With the bacon and andouille I don’t think it will freeze dry well. Going to try a steak and kimchi stir fry tonight, will make extra fried rice with vegetables for my MIL. Up next for the freeze dryer is apple slices and green seedless grapes. Grapes I need to blanch prior to putting in so this should be interesting. I’m doing all this in RV kitchen while we build out the barndominium, which we are working on at the same time.

Good morning from warm and sunny Princess Cays on the island of Eleuthra in the Bahamas. We just finished our light room service breakfast: I had tomato juice, a banana, and tea. DH had tomato juice, a croissant, and decaf. We were gifted with a bottle of bubbly and chocolate dipped strawberries which we enjoyed during sail-away on our balcony. Neither of us felt like going out anywhere for dinner, so we got ready for bed and ordered room service: sandwiches, guac & chips. We started watching a movie but were too tired to finish it.

We have dining reservations for two nights at the French restaurant Bistro Sue La Mer. The ship is understaffed, so the specialty restaurants have limited hours. Reservations filled up quickly. We will call daily to see if we can go the the Italian restaurant; don't really care about the steakhouse. Tonight we'll probably go to the pizzeria.

When DH went to make our dining reservations, he found out that there were discounted wine packages available and purchased the 7-bottle package. The voucher can be presented in any dining room. We also brought two bottles of wine onboard, so we are all set with beverages. I drink Perrier or San Pelligrino while DH likes bottled water.

We're headed up to the adults only pool where I can do my hip exercises. No other plans other than reading and relaxing. No beach day for us,

Yesterday I made a more traditional breakfast. Biscuits, cheese grits and scrambled eggs with cheese.

Today I made a biscuit with egg and cheese. My thumb is improving and healing. I was able to help with dishes and some veggie prep.

Kiddo went grocery shopping and is taking over the kitchen. I did wash and assemble the Parmesan green beans. She will roast them for us.

Later I’m making a lemon cheesecake with blueberries poked into it. But first I’m meeting friends to listen to a new band. I’m off to Woodys River Roo!

Attachments

• 4469DD93-CE60-46B3-8399-E1972EFA9C21.jpeg
    4469DD93-CE60-46B3-8399-E1972EFA9C21.jpeg
    98 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Good morning from warm and sunny Princess Cays on the island of Eleuthra in the Bahamas. We just finished our light room service breakfast: I had tomato juice, a banana, and tea. DH had tomato juice, a croissant, and decaf. We were gifted with a bottle of bubbly and chocolate dipped strawberries which we enjoyed during sail-away on our balcony. Neither of us felt like going out anywhere for dinner, so we got ready for bed and ordered room service: sandwiches, guac & chips. We started watching a movie but were too tired to finish it.

We have dining reservations for two nights at the French restaurant Bistro Sue La Mer. The ship is understaffed, so the specialty restaurants have limited hours. Reservations filled up quickly. We will call daily to see if we can go the the Italian restaurant; don't really care about the steakhouse. Tonight we'll probably go to the pizzeria.

When DH went to make our dining reservations, he found out that there were discounted wine packages available and purchased the 7-bottle package. The voucher can be presented in any dining room. We also brought two bottles of wine onboard, so we are all set with beverages. I drink Perrier or San Pelligrino while DH likes bottled water.

We're headed up to the adults only pool where I can do my hip exercises. No other plans other than reading and relaxing. No beach day for us,
I hope you can get into the Italian restaurant, and that you'll post some photos during the cruise, if you can!

I am so jealous! It will get down to -1 here on Tuesday

Enjoy the warmth!

Good morning from somewhere in the Caribbean on the way to St. Thomas. We had our usual room service breakfast that we enjoy on our balcony. We don't have much planned for today beyond checking out the shops, going to a pool if it's not too crowded, and nice dinner at the French bistro tonight. Sadly, we learned last night from the manager of Gigi's pizzeria that Bistro Sur La Mer is being discontinued on current ships and new builds because it doesn't generate enough revenue and is the least popular specialty restaurant. We're fans and will miss it if we cruise again with Princess. https://www.princess.com/downloads/...ce/food-and-dining/bistro-sur-la-mer-menu.pdf

We had an enjoyable dinner at Gigi's. We had a bottle of Sauvignon Blanc from our wine package. I had the delicious minestrone soup while DH had an antipasto salad plate. He ordered a seafood pizza, and I had the Pizza Capriciosa with ham, artichokes, black olives, and mushrooms. Easy on the cheese. The pizzas are large, and we will share from now on. Gigi's is a complimentary dining spot with wait staff in a very casual and pleasant environment. We prefer the food and environment to the busy, noisy main dining rooms.

Good morning from somewhere in the Caribbean on the way to St. Thomas. We had our usual room service breakfast that we enjoy on our balcony. We don't have much planned for today beyond checking out the shops, going to a pool if it's not too crowded, and nice dinner at the French bistro tonight. Sadly, we learned last night from the manager of Gigi's pizzeria that Bistro Sur La Mer is being discontinued on current ships and new builds because it doesn't generate enough revenue and is the least popular specialty restaurant. We're fans and will miss it if we cruise again with Princess. https://www.princess.com/downloads/...ce/food-and-dining/bistro-sur-la-mer-menu.pdf

We had an enjoyable dinner at Gigi's. We had a bottle of Sauvignon Blanc from our wine package. I had the delicious minestrone soup while DH had an antipasto salad plate. He ordered a seafood pizza, and I had the Pizza Capriciosa with ham, artichokes, black olives, and mushrooms. Easy on the cheese. The pizzas are large, and we will share from now on. Gigi's is a complimentary dining spot with wait staff in a very casual and pleasant environment. We prefer the food and environment to the busy, noisy main dining rooms.
Enjoy St Thomas! My oldest earned her Masters Degree in Marine Science at UVI. She literally survived Hurr Irma wrapped around a toilet in 2017. I went to visit her in 2016 and it is beautiful. The food was amazing as is the scenery. The water front area is great shopping. She did a lot of research on St Croix & St John. She even taught local fisherman about what were legal catches.

Oh and my bedtime snack was a little piece of cheesecake. Yum.

Attachments

• 6F4B9479-7E4F-4F76-B8FB-51BDBF72D78D.jpeg
    6F4B9479-7E4F-4F76-B8FB-51BDBF72D78D.jpeg
    75.9 KB · Views: 1
Kiddo made some delicious veggies yesterday. I just had rice with veggies on top for dinner. I think the Brussels sprouts were a bit over charred for me but still good. She made some type of balsamic glaze on the carrots. The zucchini had cheese on it. The green beans were from my garden.

Attachments

• 97AC768F-BFCC-4F69-A195-97F21D87BE47.jpeg
    97AC768F-BFCC-4F69-A195-97F21D87BE47.jpeg
    116.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 7A8FEAD3-7A82-4AEF-8DDA-56E2E890E41B.jpeg
    7A8FEAD3-7A82-4AEF-8DDA-56E2E890E41B.jpeg
    141.3 KB · Views: 14

I’m sort of jealous. Even TX is cold right now, with freezing rain. Normally I like the cold but wet and cold isn’t fun.

Marinated steak in the air fryer tonight. Was the other half of the round steak from last nights stir fry. Turns out I do like kimchi, stir fry was tasty.

Lots of hot herbal tea and some homemade ginger snaps tonight.

Greetings from St. Thomas, USVI. We are running about 30 minutes behind schedule since leaving Fort Lauderdale almost 45 minutes late. It's warm and cloudy with intermittent showers forecast. We've been here many times and might not disembark if it's raining. Temperature at home in MI was 6* at 9:00 this morning.

We were not blown away by our dinner in the French bistro last night. Food was alright but nothing truly special. Service was attentive and very cordial. We'll go once more but will enjoy the rest of our dinners at Gigi's or do room service.

I'm sure some of you remember The Love Boat series from yesteryear. There are dozens of episodes available on our stateroom TV. So funny to see the hairstyles and clothing from the late 70s/early 80s.

Greetings from St. Thomas, USVI. We are running about 30 minutes behind schedule since leaving Fort Lauderdale almost 45 minutes late. It's warm and cloudy with intermittent showers forecast. We've been here many times and might not disembark if it's raining. Temperature at home in MI was 6* at 9:00 this morning.

We were not blown away by our dinner in the French bistro last night. Food was alright but nothing truly special. Service was attentive and very cordial. We'll go once more but will enjoy the rest of our dinners at Gigi's or do room service.

I'm sure some of you remember The Love Boat series from yesteryear. There are dozens of episodes available on our stateroom TV. So funny to see the hairstyles and clothing from the late 70s/early 80s.
I'm sorry the bistro's food was disappointing. I would have started with the lobster bisque, followed by the filet mignon. Chocolate tart for dessert!

Fried Rice on the menu tonight! I included extra veggies and 3/4 cup extra rice. After I filled my plate I added warmed up turkey. I had frozen 1/2 the breast at Tday. I thawed it, chopped off a section and diced it up.

Attachments

• 2B02B160-24E6-447F-8685-E13A72B3B568.jpeg
    2B02B160-24E6-447F-8685-E13A72B3B568.jpeg
    141.1 KB · Views: 13
  • F5D4D4A8-D34A-403A-83AF-B1A1F2532135.jpeg
    F5D4D4A8-D34A-403A-83AF-B1A1F2532135.jpeg
    149 KB · Views: 13
  • 1F5C8075-E13B-41AF-B75E-EC22E8F5EB1D.jpeg
    1F5C8075-E13B-41AF-B75E-EC22E8F5EB1D.jpeg
    138.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 29F64537-6979-48C4-A334-52786C6ACC6B.jpeg
    29F64537-6979-48C4-A334-52786C6ACC6B.jpeg
    150.5 KB · Views: 13
Fried Rice on the menu tonight! I included extra veggies and 3/4 cup extra rice. After I filled my plate I added warmed up turkey. I had frozen 1/2 the breast at Tday. I thawed it, chopped off a section and diced it up.
That looks really good.

We did cheat's mac and cheese.

Gluten free elbow pasta, carrot, zucchini, broccoli, green beans. Cook the pasta, cook the veg, mix them together with three different cheeses, black pepper, cherry tomatoes. Oh, and the bonus protein we threw in tonight was woodsmoked prawns.

I'm sorry the bistro's food was disappointing. I would have started with the lobster bisque, followed by the filet mignon. Chocolate tart for dessert!
I had tuna tartare, the filet, meringue dessert. Beef was not a prime cut. DH didn't care for the duck but loved the cheesy spinach with poached egg and the chocolate hazelnut bar.

We opened the Chianti that we brought onboard for sailaway from St. Thomas last evening. We ordered room service for dinner: I had the kids' chicken fingers with chips; DH had chicken tacos. We watched part of Elvis.

We've been to Antigua previously and will likely stay on the ship and go to a pool. The Captain's Circle Party for returning Princess guests is tonight, so we will probably go to Gigi's for dinner.

Day 3 of the weather hostage situation, looks like a giant ice rink and walking is treacherous. Made some raspberry bars with nuts and oatmeal that are pretty good, sweet for me but the other hostages seem to enjoy them. Not breaking into freeze dried stuff yet but it’s nice to know it’s there if we need it. Burgers tonight because we have them on hand. Need to make it out to freezers to look for some kind of potato to go with it for MIL.

Eta: anyone have any good venison recipes? I was thinking about substituting it for lamb in some of the ATK recipes. It’s been years since I’ve had venison and I don’t remember the flavor. Currently have about 80-90 pounds of it in freezer.

Greetings from sunny Barbados. We had tentatively planned to disembark sometime this afternoon to have dinner on the island. On previous visits to beautiful Barbados, we've always taken ship excursions to beaches (with rum tasting) but we no longer care to do the beach thing. Since our last visit, there is a new dock that is not near the cruise terminal. There are shuttle buses from ship to terminal, and disembarkation is going to be very slow. We are just going to stay onboard and enjoy the ship when many pax are ashore. We are here until 8:30PM.

I've mentioned breakfasts and dinners but have not posted about lunches. Main dining rooms are not open when the ship is in port, so lunch options include World Marketplace (buffet), Gigi's pizzeria, International Cafe and coffee bar. We wouldn't go to the main dining room for lunch anyway. The IC is open 24 hours with rotating options for breakfast, lunch, dinner, teatime, late night. We like the sandwiches for lunch. Princess does a stellar job with breads, rolls, and pastries, so the sandwiches are especially good. I would never think of eating a tuna sandwich at home, but the one in the IC is wonderful with greens, tomato, mayo on a buttery croissant. I also like Genoa salami with greens, cucumber, tomato, aioli on a Brioche roll. There is also a nice vegetarian sandwich with avocado, tomato, greens that I like. I avoid sandwiches with cheese, but there is a nice selection for DH.

I've read about storms impacting parts of the country. Please be safe and stay warm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlexWorksInTelly