Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
...Eta: anyone have any good venison recipes? I was thinking about substituting it for lamb in some of the ATK recipes. It’s been years since I’ve had venison and I don’t remember the flavor. Currently have about 80-90 pounds of it in freezer.
Sorry to hear about the ice storm. Those can be nasty.

I've never cooked venison and am not crazy about it. That said, the only time that I had it was in a stew. I think it might also be good in shepherd's pie.

If you have ground venison you can use it in place of ground beef in recipes. DD makes things like spaghetti, chili, tacos with it. I have to ask her if it’s beef or venison because when SIL field dresses, he does an excellent job and it does not have that gamey taste.

Day 3 of the weather hostage situation, looks like a giant ice rink and walking is treacherous. Made some raspberry bars with nuts and oatmeal that are pretty good, sweet for me but the other hostages seem to enjoy them. Not breaking into freeze dried stuff yet but it’s nice to know it’s there if we need it. Burgers tonight because we have them on hand. Need to make it out to freezers to look for some kind of potato to go with it for MIL.

Eta: anyone have any good venison recipes? I was thinking about substituting it for lamb in some of the ATK recipes. It’s been years since I’ve had venison and I don’t remember the flavor. Currently have about 80-90 pounds of it in freezer.
I haven't cooked with venison, but I imagine, like kangaroo, you want to either cook it for practically no time at all, or for many hours. No middle ground.

We attended a large get together last Saturday, and I made a 6 qt crockpot full of my Texas bean dip recipe that I frequently take to gatherings.

Unfortunately it didn’t turn out as well as it usually does. Our grocery stores have had supply issues with many items, and I couldn’t find the good refried beans that I usually buy, and there wasn’t any Philadelphia cream cheese either, old Old El Paso diced peppers.

So I used bought three large cans of Meijer refried beans, and four packages of store brand cream cheese. The cream cheese had a very sticky texture, nothing like Philadelphia cream cheese, and the beans were practically tasteless. The store brand peppers weren’t spicy.

The texture of my dip wasn’t right and I had to add more seasonings than usual.

I don’t always buy name brand products but in some cases it really matters.

Here is another “Best in every state” list.

Has anyone been to any of these “hole in the wall” restaurants?

I haven’t been to Belle Glade, FL since 1972 so haven’t eaten at that restaurant. That fried chicken probably is pretty good tho.

Watching this episode gives me a terrible thought and that is of the killer watching this and laughing--- thinking: they will never catch me-- I am so much smarter than they are --- and you know, he/she could be right----is this a perfect crime?

Greetings from foggy, rainy St. Kitts. We've been here previously and didn't plan to disembark. It must have rained overnight because our balcony was wet, and there was a hint of a rainbow.

We kept checking for specialty restaurant availability and managed to get reservations at both Crown Grill for tomorrow and Sabatini's on the last night. We have a reservation at Bistro Sur La Mer tonight. We have two more bottles of wine left from our package and will order a nice Chianti with our dinner at Sabatini's.

Today is our last port call. Tomorrow and Monday are sea days with arrival in Fort Lauderdale on Tuesday morning. Our flight to Detroit is at 11:45, so we should be home by 4:00PM.

Last edited:
I haven’t been to Belle Glade, FL since 1972 so haven’t eaten at that restaurant. That fried chicken probably is pretty good tho.

We have a wonderful restaurant near Indianapolis that serves fried chicken, mashed potatoes, gravy, and all the sides family style at the table. They won’t make the “hole in the wall” list as it is fairly pricey but dining there for special occasions is a wonderful experience.

It’s called Kopper Kettle Inn, and if you ever happen to be in Morristown Indiana it is well worth a stop. They claim to have been operating as a restaurant for over 150 years. There is a guest registry when you walk in where many of Indiana’s governors and other famous people have signed in.

Once I asked one of the servers why their chicken was so good and she told me they pan fry it in lard, in cast iron skillets that were over 100 years old. She told me everything they cook is flavored with lard: green beans, mashed potatoes, etc.

We have a restaurant in town that cooks that way. Nothing fancy. Just good home cooking from a gas station. They have a sit down area. If you get out of church late on Sunday, people are lined up out the door waiting for food- it’s cafeteria style. Once when I was in line, I got a peek into the kitchen. There was a grandma type lady with a big fork in her hand, frying cornbread in a cast iron skillet.

Greetings from foggy, rainy St. Kitts. We've been here previously and didn't plan to disembark. It must have rained overnight because our balcony was wet, and there was a hint of a rainbow.

We kept checking for specialty restaurant availability and managed to get reservations at both Crown Grill for tomorrow and Sabatini's on the last night. We have a reservation at Bistro Sur La Mer tonight. We have two more bottles of wine left from our package and will order a nice Chianti with our dinner at Sabatini's.

Today is our last port call. Tomorrow and Monday are sea days with arrival in Fort Lauderdale on Tuesday morning. Our flight to Detroit is at 11:45, so we should be home by 4:00PM.

I want to repeat the thanks others have posted to you, @BetteDavisEyes , for sharing your cruise experience with us. I enjoyed checking the bridge cam site each day to see what the view looked like, both at sea and at ports. While I doubt I will ever opt to take a cruise, it does hold a certain appeal, and I really enjoyed following your experience. Hope you and everyone on board arrive home safely and healthy!

Edit: and the mouth-watering reports about the many food options on board!

Last edited:
I want to repeat the thanks others have posted to you, @BetteDavisEyes , for sharing your cruise experience with us. I enjoyed checking the bridge cam site each day to see what the view looked like, both at sea and at ports. While I doubt I will ever opt to take a cruise, it does hold a certain appeal, and I really enjoyed following your experience. Hope you and everyone on board arrive home safely and healthy!
Thank you for the kind thoughts. Since this is a food forum, I've tried to limit my posts to food and dining. And wine. DH and I have not had any other alcoholic beverages besides wine, but the same can't be said for many other passengers :p

Wow Tuesday sounds like a very long exhausting day for you two. I have really enjoyed hearing about your cruise. I've never had any interest in cruising. The number of activities is pretty neat. I guess when they have a captive audience they need to appeal to all sorts of foods and things to do.

Thank you for the kind thoughts. Since this is a food forum, I've tried to limit my posts to food and dining. And wine. DH and I have not had any other alcoholic beverages besides wine, but the same can't be said for many other passengers :p
I realized after I posted that I did so on the food thread (I've followed your cruise updates on more than one thread). So I should have perhaps posted on a different thread, or at a minimum at least mentioned (post now edited) that I also enjoyed your reports about the food and the variety of restaurants and other food options available on the ship. :cool:

We have a wonderful restaurant near Indianapolis that serves fried chicken, mashed potatoes, gravy, and all the sides family style at the table. They won’t make the “hole in the wall” list as it is fairly pricey but dining there for special occasions is a wonderful experience.

It’s called Kopper Kettle Inn, and if you ever happen to be in Morristown Indiana it is well worth a stop. They claim to have been operating as a restaurant for over 150 years. There is a guest registry when you walk in where many of Indiana’s governors and other famous people have signed in.

Once I asked one of the servers why their chicken was so good and she told me they pan fry it in lard, in cast iron skillets that were over 100 years old. She told me everything they cook is flavored with lard: green beans, mashed potatoes, etc.
That was the secret of my mother's wonderful fried chicken! Later she switched to Crisco and then vegetable oil. It wasn't the same as that chicken fried in lard.

That was the secret of my mother's wonderful fried chicken! Later she switched to Crisco and then vegetable oil. It wasn't the same as that chicken fried in lard.
One of my friends used to make a soft ginger cookie, it was an old family recipe and it called for a cup of lard. I made it with butter because I didn’t have lard, and it tasted nothing like her cookies.

The cookies made with lard fairly crackle and pop in your mouth, and have a rich flavor.

Apricot soy glazed country ribs in air fryer with a big Greek salad for dinner. DH is having Mac and cheese instead of salad. Had our usual breakfast of bacon and an egg for breakfast and started building interior. DH dropped me off to get hair cut and he took longer than he thought it would so instead of making salon stay open for me while I waited, I walked down to tap house and had a pineapple apple hard cider and a blackberry sage hard cider. Blackberry sage was really good. Haven’t had alcohol in awhile so those two 5% ciders with lack of food sort of went to my head.

Apples, mango and grapes should be finishing up in freeze dryer tonight. Have a bunch of mixed vegetables to do next.

Apricot soy glazed country ribs in air fryer with a big Greek salad for dinner. DH is having Mac and cheese instead of salad. Had our usual breakfast of bacon and an egg for breakfast and started building interior. DH dropped me off to get hair cut and he took longer than he thought it would so instead of making salon stay open for me while I waited, I walked down to tap house and had a pineapple apple hard cider and a blackberry sage hard cider. Blackberry sage was really good. Haven’t had alcohol in awhile so those two 5% ciders with lack of food sort of went to my head.

Apples, mango and grapes should be finishing up in freeze dryer tonight. Have a bunch of mixed vegetables to do next.
Those ciders sound amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member