IN - 8 Dead at Indianapolis FedEx Facility Mass Shooting, 15 Apr 2021

<modsnip - quoted post was removed>

It will likely be impossible to find a solution if a multi-level fix is not put in place. To me, it is no good looking for one benign solution when there are multiple issues at play and they all need to be addressed.

Last edited by a moderator:
In America, you can't even remember the last one, it's impossible to keep up.
snipped

So true. There was a map I saw today (I think at NYTimes) of recent mass shootings in USA, and even as a WSer who tends to notice those crimes, I couldn't remember most of the incidents. It's a sad awakening to face that.

jmo

FedEx cell phone policy in question after deadly mass shooting at Indianapolis facility | WATE 6 On Your Side
''MEMPHIS, Tenn. — As investigators try to determine a motive in a deadly mass shooting at an Indianapolis FedEx facility, FedEx’s no cellphone policy is also in question.''

''FedEx has a policy restricting cellphone access in certain areas of operation. The company says it’s to minimize potential distractions.

When asked if it would review that policy in light of the deadly shooting the company sent us this statement, reading in part: “Our immediate priorities are the safety and well-being of our team members and cooperation with law enforcement at this time.”

I think that reviewing the media that these mass killers have been watching would be interesting. It seems like almost everyone has access to Netflix, Amazon Prime.

"The Joker" has become a very popular movie, with a lot of young men, who feel disenfranchised from society. I wish we had more information about this.

'Joker': What it gets right, wrong about mental illness, violence

I think it was in March 2020. What I don't understand is how he could gain access to yet another firearm after being detained in a mental health facility.

FBI Indianapolis Special Agent in Charge Paul Keenan told a reporter .... that 'the suspect's mother contacted law enforcement to report he might try to commit 'suicide by cop'.'
'The suspect was placed on an immediate detention mental health temporary hold by the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department,' Keenan said.

'Based on items observed in the suspect's bedroom at that time, he was interviewed by the FBI in April 2020. No Racially Motivated Violent Extremism (RMVE) ideology was identified during the course of the assessment and no criminal violation was found.'
.... 'the shotgun was not returned to the suspect' after the incident last March.

PICTURED: FedEx gunman, 19, was an ex-employee who had 'been fired' | Daily Mail Online
Either he got it illegally or on the off chance he bought it legally a) he lied on form 4473 or b) he wasn't put in the reporting system after being involuntarily placed in a mental facility.

That is a lot of cracks to fall through.
It happens, unfortunately the reporting systems aren't 100% fail proof. There's gaps between the state and federal levels when it comes to reporting and then adding on top of that, the issues with NICS. It's surprising that in this day and age, how many people fall through the cracks and end up with guns when they shouldn't have.

FedEx cell phone policy in question after deadly mass shooting at Indianapolis facility | WATE 6 On Your Side
''MEMPHIS, Tenn. — As investigators try to determine a motive in a deadly mass shooting at an Indianapolis FedEx facility, FedEx’s no cellphone policy is also in question.''

''FedEx has a policy restricting cellphone access in certain areas of operation. The company says it’s to minimize potential distractions.

When asked if it would review that policy in light of the deadly shooting the company sent us this statement, reading in part: “Our immediate priorities are the safety and well-being of our team members and cooperation with law enforcement at this time.”
That policy is certainly not in the best interest of employees safety and well being.
It’s one thing to not allow employees to use their phone at work, another entirely to not allow any access to one’s phone.
There are so many hypothetical consequences I can imagine due to that ill conceived rule, I wonder if it’s a global FedEx policy.

That policy is certainly not in the best interest of employees safety and well being.
It’s one thing to not allow employees to use their phone at work, another entirely to not allow any access to one’s phone.
There are so many hypothetical consequences I can imagine due to that ill conceived rule, I wonder if it’s a global FedEx policy.
I am in two minds about that. People just seem to be not able to look at their phones constantly. I would hope that a superviser would have access to a phone in case of a medical emergency or an attack.

The 19-year-old gunman who fatally shot eight people at a FedEx plant Thursday used two legally purchased assault rifles, police said Saturday

Police said the shooter, a former employee at the facility, bought rifles legally last July and September — months after his mother said she feared her son would attempt “suicide by cop.” That led authorities to question Brandon Hole, temporarily detain him for mental health reasons and seize his shotgun. The gun was not returned, officials say.

Yet Hole went on to obtain more firearms, despite Indiana’s red-flag law aimed at keeping such weapons out of the hands of potentially dangerous people.

Indianapolis police said Saturday night that they cannot say why Hole was not barred from purchasing the weapons under red-flag laws or whether authorities had pursued it.

Cathy Weinmann of the group Moms Demand Action, said she plans to send a letter to the governor demanding action: “’Thoughts and prayers aren’t working,” she said.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/04/17/fedex-shooting-indianapolis/

The 19-year-old gunman who fatally shot eight people at a FedEx plant Thursday used two legally purchased assault rifles, police said Saturday

Police said the shooter, a former employee at the facility, bought rifles legally last July and September — months after his mother said she feared her son would attempt “suicide by cop.” That led authorities to question Brandon Hole, temporarily detain him for mental health reasons and seize his shotgun. The gun was not returned, officials say.

Yet Hole went on to obtain more firearms, despite Indiana’s red-flag law aimed at keeping such weapons out of the hands of potentially dangerous people.

Indianapolis police said Saturday night that they cannot say why Hole was not barred from purchasing the weapons under red-flag laws or whether authorities had pursued it.

Cathy Weinmann of the group Moms Demand Action, said she plans to send a letter to the governor demanding action: “’Thoughts and prayers aren’t working,” she said.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/04/17/fedex-shooting-indianapolis/
That answers one question but at the same time, now there's more questions. Was he not put in the system? If that's what happened, why not? If he was in the system, did the NICS not catch it in the first three days allowing him to be able to purchase the rifles? Was he one of the uncompleted checks that gets purged after 90 days? Did his family know he had purchased more guns? If they did, why wasn't the red flag used once again?

I am in two minds about that. People just seem to be not able to look at their phones constantly. I would hope that a superviser would have access to a phone in case of a medical emergency or an attack.

Where I used to work, you literally had to turn in your cellphone to a guard, or leave it at home. You had to walk through a metal detector each day at security.

Once inside the facility, everyone had a radio phone, you wore, for communication with staff and security. Maybe FedEx could do something like this.

ADMIN NOTE:

Websleuths does not allow gun control discussion. Doing so is subject to a loss of posting privileges.

Gun control is a social justice issue that will never be resolved through discussion at Websleuths and it only ever results in bickering and derailing the thread.

RACE/SEX/POLITICS/RELIGION BASHING, ETC

Threads or posts promoting or expressing intolerant views toward a particular social group are prohibited. Introducing social justice/injustice issues such as race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, politics, gun control, capital punishment into a discussion is not allowed.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DannyLFC1892
Back