North Carolina - Coronavirus COVID19

North Carolina Gov. Roy Cooper signs order to prevent utility cut-offs, activates more guardsmen

North Carolina Gov. Roy Cooper announced that he has signed an executive order to prohibit utility companies from shutting off electricity, gas, water and wastewater services to customers who can't pay their bills over the next 60 days.

Telecommunication providers who offer phone, cable and Internet services are strongly urged to follow the same practices, and banks are encouraged to not charge overdraft/late fees or other penalties, Cooper said.

Cooper also urged mortgage companies and landlords to work with residents who have lost income because of the COVID-19 outbreak.

The governor is also activating additional North Carolina National Guard personnel for state active duty. The additional support will be able help transport supplies and make engineering assessments if additional medical facilities become necessary.

At least 1,870 people in 85 North Carolina counties have tested positive for the coronavirus. Maps, data on the outbreak.
Eighteen North Carolina residents have died, including a Montgomery County deputy. Two people from out of state also died while traveling in North Carolina. Another 184 people are in North Carolina hospitals.
A statewide stay-at-home order is in effect through April 30. Any local orders with tighter restrictions take precedence over the state order.

Latest updates:
11:30 a.m.: Residents in Davie and Bertie counties have died from coronavirus-related complications, bringing the statewide death toll from the virus to 20 – 18 North Carolinians and two people from out of state who died while passing through. All but 15 of North Carolina's 100 counties have reported at least one coronavirus case.

11 a.m.: A Gaston County resident has become the 16th North Carolina resident to die from coronavirus complications, according to county health officials. North Carolina has nearly 1,900 cases of coronavirus statewide.

10:30 a.m.: An employee at Central Prison in Raleigh has self-reported testing positive for coronavirus. Positive test results were reported to the facility by the employee on Wednesday.

According to a memo from the warden, the employee became ill on March 20 and was at work for only a brief period of time. The person was tested on March 27. The employee also reported exposure to a family member who had traveled recently to New York. In accordance with CDC guidelines, the prison employee has been off the job since March 20.

The prison is taking steps to help protect inmates and staff from the spread of COVID-19.
Live coronavirus in North Carolina news updates :: WRAL.com

Montgomery County sheriff's deputy dies from COVID-19

"MONTGOMERY COUNTY, N.C. (WITN) - A Montgomery County sheriff's deputy has died after fighting COVID-19.

In a Facebook post, the Randolph County Sheriff's Office says SRO Bud Phouang "fought hard against the unknowns of COVID 19."..."

SRO = school resource officer

Deputy Phouang leaves behind a wife and 5 children.

SRO+OFFICER+DIES+CORONAVIRUS.jpg

Dare county (outer banks) is closed to visitors. I don’t live in that area so I’m not aware of exceptions.

I’m in the west, in the Blue Ridge. I know there are differences of opinion about the legality of restricting access but I understand the need.

Where I live, people are treating this as a vacation and arriving in droves with their mountain bikes and all kinds of other gear. I don’t know where they’re going to stay because the county has banned short term rentals. Likely there are still some Airbnb rentals flying under the radar but the owners will be fined heavily when they’re discovered.

Asking vacationers to quarantine isn’t working, at least with for the majority. I don’t go out but hear reports from people who must still work and those who’ve ventured out for supplies.

We do have lots of part time residents but typically they don’t begin arriving until late April or May.

I have mixed feelings about the situation but do agree that people need to stay put for now. Ultimately, most of us will be exposed to the virus — and I personally think the numbers given for infections are skewed, and very low. Most people aren’t being tested and those with a mild case can mistake it for a cold. Mostly I hope it acts like lots of similar viruses and leaves everyone immune.

Coronavirus: North Carolina And Florida Counties Closing Borders To Visitors

That’s crazy. Has it not hit any of the nursing homes or retirement centers there?

That’s crazy. Has it not hit any of the nursing homes or retirement centers there?

23 are infected, so far, at a nursing home near me. Staff and residents. It’s a fairly new discovery. That county does have deaths.

I try to stay away from as much of the doom and gloom as possible while still staying informed. I know how terrible the situation is but find keeping up with recommendations and learning about the disease is less depressing than hearing predictions (health, economy, etc) from everyone the media can drag into an interview.

April 3, 2020, Richmond County, NC Update:
  • As of 2:00 pm, April 3, 2020, Richmond County does NOT have a case of COVID-19.
  • At this time, 229 individuals have been tested for COVID-19 in Richmond County. 178 test results have been returned and all results received have been negative.

COVID-19 North Carolina Dashboard

Updated daily by 11 a.m. each day. Last updated 10:15 a.m., April 7, 2020.

Laboratory-Confirmed Cases Deaths Completed Tests Currently Hospitalized Number of Counties

My county has 9 confirmed cases plus 2 who are from other states and quarantined here for a total of 11 cases. We have had 1 death to date.

Many COVID-19 Cases In WNC Can Be Traced To A Folk School Dance

For the life of me I CANNOT get the article to copy and paste. Dance was held on 3/10. Person from NY attended and was already infected. My family self quarantined after indirect exposure from the dance. Wish I could find another news source. It’s interesting to see how it all started in Western NC which is where I live.

What are the travel restrictions like in NC? I'd like to hear from locals.

I live in Southern Pines and my property backs onto a service road where I can see highway 1 through the trees in winter. There is absolutely no difference in the traffic at all. I’ve been shocked at how many cars are still zooming by. Supposedly, non-essential businesses are shut down.

For the life of me I CANNOT get the article to copy and paste. Dance was held on 3/10. Person from NY attended and was already infected. My family self quarantined after indirect exposure from the dance. Wish I could find another news source. It’s interesting to see how it all started in Western NC which is where I live.

“One of them recently came back from a church in Georgia where there were confirmed cases of COVID-19 and the other had recently returned from a cruise. So it’s really a lot of these cases coming from outside of the state and now they are spreading here in Western North Carolina.”

Sounds like the church in Cartersville GA.
People started getting sick after the March 1st service and another service was held on March 8th.
And another had recently returned from a cruise.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Migrant
Back