WV WV - Hevin Jenkins, 2, Cabell County, 15 December 2005

mjak, you're a dear! Providing occasional respite to your nephews is a wonderful thing for them and for their parents! Not every family has members that will take the responsibility to do what you do.

This boy's family sounds to be very dysfunctional--and probably became more so with the addition of autism to deal with.

I don't understand why the mother asked state police to check on her son at the aunt's house. Maybe the mother is incarcerated?

I hope he's found soon.

LovelyPigeon said:
This boy's family sounds to be very dysfunctional--and probably became more so with the addition of autism to deal with.

I don't understand why the mother asked state police to check on her son at the aunt's house. Maybe the mother is incarcerated?

I hope he's found soon.

No, she isn't incarcerated. She has stated that she gave ther son to her mother and cousin to care for,for a period of time, for "personal reasons". It appears that two of her brothers have been arrested (for murder I think, unknown how this is related).

LovelyPigeon said:
mjak, you're a dear! Providing occasional respite to your nephews is a wonderful thing for them and for their parents! Not every family has members that will take the responsibility to do what you do.
Thank you LovelyPigeon for the kind words. I am blessed to have the wonderful nephews I do and any time I spend with thiem is truly a gift to myself.

mjak

mysteriew said:
No, she isn't incarcerated. She has stated that she gave ther son to her mother and cousin to care for,for a period of time, for "personal reasons". It appears that two of her brothers have been arrested (for murder I think, unknown how this is related).
That's a good indication of the type of family this is - drugs, murder - these aren't people like we work with, like your friends and neighbors. There are serious problems with these people. The mother seems one of the better in the family - but she still decided to give her most difficult child to her sister who had plenty of her own problems, and the mother who did such a good job that three of her kids have serious criminal problems.

An unseasonably warm day that saw temperatures soaring to nearly 70 degrees and a dropping Ohio River, gave divers a good opportunity to search again for a missing toddler.

Representatives from several agencies, and two divers from the West Virginia State Police, dove for 15 minutes at a time for more than three hours Friday trying to recover the body of a 2-year-old boy, who was reported missing on Dec. 26.

Kevin Nance, a paramedic and rescue diver with Cabell County E.M.S., said they were rediving on targets that had been found by sonar on previous search dives for the body.
http://www.hdonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060114/NEWS01/601140328/1005

West Virginia State Police testified Tuesday at a preliminary hearing that Jenkins' aunt, Tonya Sloan, drowned him, and then days later tossed his body into the Ohio River after she and her boyfriend, Anthony Milam, had eaten dinner at a South Point drive-thru.

The child's body has never been found.

Trooper First Class Mike Parde testified that based upon the investigation, he believes Sloan placed the child on a tire rim, tied him with weed-eater string, put him in a garbage bag and placed him in the back of a sports utility vehicle.

Parde testified Sloan has told police she and Milam then went the South Point Taco Bell, picked up dinner and stopped just shy of the "Welcome to West Virginia" sign on the 17th Street West Bridge, where she tossed the child's body into river.

Sloan and Milam, both 27, are charged with first-degree murder of a child by a parent, custodian or guardian because they contributed to the child's death by not seeking medical attention, according to criminal complaints filed in Cabell County Magistrate Court.

White said she had asked Sloan to care for Jenkins temporarily in early November, while she worked two jobs and cared for three other kids.

Milam told police Sloan had drowned Jenkins at the couple's Salt Rock home after the child soiled himself Dec. 15. She then placed the child's body in a Lincoln County creek, retrieved it and finally tossed it off the 17th Street West bridge days later, according to testimony offered by Trooper First Class Edgar Blankenship Tuesday afternoon.

Milam's defense attorney, David Brown, argued Tuesday afternoon that his client is not criminally responsible for Jenkins' death, and he said there was no duty for Milam to call 911 after he sped home with his flashers on, checked Jenkins' condition and encouraged Sloan to call for help.

Parde testified that Milam told police Sloan called him on Dec. 15, alerting him to a medical emergency. Once he arrived the couple's residence, Parde testified that Milam told police he found Jenkins sitting in a chair where he described the child's body to be warm with no detectable heartbeat.

Blankenship testified that Milam told police Sloan knocked the phone from his hands when he attempted to call 911, but Milam still made no effort to contact 911 after leaving the residence.

Parde and a correctional officer from the Western Regional Jail testified that Sloan has made attempts to clear Milam's name from any wrongdoing since the incident. However, Parde said those stories were inconsistent with Milam's statement to police.

Sloan's attorney, Kerry Nessel, said his client remains adamant that she did not harm the child and said she is helping police try to locate the child's body
http://www.hdonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060118/NEWS01/601180315

mysteriew said:
West Virginia State Police testified Tuesday at a preliminary hearing that Jenkins' aunt, Tonya Sloan, drowned him, and then days later tossed his body into the Ohio River after she and her boyfriend, Anthony Milam, had eaten dinner at a South Point drive-thru.

The child's body has never been found.

Trooper First Class Mike Parde testified that based upon the investigation, he believes Sloan placed the child on a tire rim, tied him with weed-eater string, put him in a garbage bag and placed him in the back of a sports utility vehicle.

Parde testified Sloan has told police she and Milam then went the South Point Taco Bell, picked up dinner and stopped just shy of the "Welcome to West Virginia" sign on the 17th Street West Bridge, where she tossed the child's body into river.

Sloan and Milam, both 27, are charged with first-degree murder of a child by a parent, custodian or guardian because they contributed to the child's death by not seeking medical attention, according to criminal complaints filed in Cabell County Magistrate Court.

White said she had asked Sloan to care for Jenkins temporarily in early November, while she worked two jobs and cared for three other kids.

Milam told police Sloan had drowned Jenkins at the couple's Salt Rock home after the child soiled himself Dec. 15. She then placed the child's body in a Lincoln County creek, retrieved it and finally tossed it off the 17th Street West bridge days later, according to testimony offered by Trooper First Class Edgar Blankenship Tuesday afternoon.

Milam's defense attorney, David Brown, argued Tuesday afternoon that his client is not criminally responsible for Jenkins' death, and he said there was no duty for Milam to call 911 after he sped home with his flashers on, checked Jenkins' condition and encouraged Sloan to call for help.

Parde testified that Milam told police Sloan called him on Dec. 15, alerting him to a medical emergency. Once he arrived the couple's residence, Parde testified that Milam told police he found Jenkins sitting in a chair where he described the child's body to be warm with no detectable heartbeat.

Blankenship testified that Milam told police Sloan knocked the phone from his hands when he attempted to call 911, but Milam still made no effort to contact 911 after leaving the residence.

Parde and a correctional officer from the Western Regional Jail testified that Sloan has made attempts to clear Milam's name from any wrongdoing since the incident. However, Parde said those stories were inconsistent with Milam's statement to police.

Sloan's attorney, Kerry Nessel, said his client remains adamant that she did not harm the child and said she is helping police try to locate the child's body
http://www.hdonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060118/NEWS01/601180315
Aw, man. This article has me between tears and wanting to throw up. All because the little boy SOILED HIMSELF? Another one (or two) I want just 5 lousy minutes alone with. :furious: :furious:

Posted Tuesday, June 19, 2007 ; 12:24 PM | View Comments | Post Comment
Updated Tuesday, June 19, 2007; 07:39 PM

Story by Gina Long

HUNTINGTON -- A woman charged in the murder of her 2-year-old nephew told her side of the story Tuesday in a Cabell County courtroom.
Tonya Sloan asked for forgiveness for her role in the murder her nephew, 2-year-old Hevin Dakota Jenkins.

She said her nephew soiled his pants and she admitted using force when putting him in the bathtub to clean the toddler.

snip

Sloan was sentenced to a maximum of 40 years in prison. As of now, she's already served 18 months of that sentence.

Last week, Anthony Milam, made a deal with prosecutors pleading guilty to being an accessory after the fact in connection with the boy's death.

As a part of the deal, Milam agreed to testify against Sloan.

http://www.wboy.com/story.cfm?func=viewstory&storyid=25336

Tonya T. Sloan

Housed: Lakin Correctional Center
Sentenced: 06/19/2007
Projected Release Date: 12/27/2025
Next Parole Hearing Date: 12/27/2015

I have been unable to find any sentencing information on Anthony Milam. He is not currently incarcerated.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
simwolves
Back