CA CA - Rose Cole, 16, Oakland, 1972 - #2

41 years ago this month after being "gamed", Rose Lena Cole cut all ties with Synanon and struck out on her own.

So what then had become of her?

Did she find her way into the hippie subculture of the Haight-Ashbury? Was she spirited away by one of the churches connected with the "Underground Railroad"? Did she find her way onto some Northern California commune? Or settle down someplace near Chinatown? Could she found her way back home to Michigan? Or maybe she made a new life for herself?

Perhaps. But she might also have fallen into the dark underworld of drugs and foul play.

Only Rose herself could say for sure.

In one of her final letters home, Rose included the following children's poem by David McCord, quoted from his 1952 book Every Time I Climb a Tree:

THIS IS MY ROCK

This is my rock,
And here I run
To steal the secret of the sun;

This is my rock,
And here come I
Before the night has swept the sky;

This is my rock,
This is the place
I meet the evening face to face.

I often wonder if this poem gave Rose strength as she wandered off into the vast unknown.

Wherever you are, Rose, whatever became of you, I hope you've found peace!

I agree dogperson, 100%
Just wouldn't make sense for her to HIDE....geez, we were all teens once, if she's out there knowing so many folks are looking for her, how does one keep shut! BANGING HEAD!

Cheers!

The way her father treated her and denied her from coming back home was reason enough for her to set out on her own and never want to be found. Can you imagine being sent away at that age? Going through what she went through, being sick on the streets then told by your father that you couldn't come home?

I hope she was able to reconnect with Pose and that is the reason that he hasn't been in contact with family for many years.

I just finished reading most of the threads on Rose. I wasn't able to read her letters, Pias article or many other articles because all the links were broken, but I think I got pretty much all the information from the threads. A while back, there was a post by someone who claimed to be the daughter Jesse's 3rd wife. She said that Rose called him sometime in the late 70s? Not much was made of that. Is there any way to find out if this person is who she claims to be? Or has has it be determined she is not, which is why not much response to that has been posted.

Did anyone ever find out why the family stopped posting?

I wish I could help with this, but I have no experience. Plus those with experience have hit a dead end.

My initial feeling was she met an untimely end. But then a friend posted this link today: http://abcnews.go.com/US/hunt-john-wayne-gacy-victims-finds-long-lost/story?id=21264052 about a man whose family thought he was killed by John Wayne Gacy but he was found alive after being missing for 41 years.
"In fact, since Moran's office reopened the case in 2011 – 17 years after Gacy was executed – four other missing men have been found alive and reunited with their families"​

Here are several reasons why the SIL may no longer be with us:
1.) She became unsettled by how much complete strangers were probing into her family's affairs.

2.) She was approached by relatives who did not wish to be involved with this search, i.e. Joseph Borich.

3.) She became frustrated by how this online search did not produce more immediate results, i.e. finding Rose.​

In any case, her YouTube tribute is remains out there with fragments of Rose's letters home still visible on them. (For best results, take a few well-timed screenshots!)

Rose Lena Cole - YouTube

I believe that Rose may still be alive and well out there somewhere, possibly unaware that she's considered a missing person in Michigan and California. Unfortunately, the only way we can know for sure is for more information to come to light! But were can we find it?

Happy Birthday, Rose!

If you're still out there somewhere, may your holiday season and the coming new year be blessed!

I wonder if anyone can help with a couple things:

Firstly, the postcard with the Bay Bridge photo on the front. Can anyone tell where it was postmarked? (San Francisco or Oakland)?

(Second question to follow in next post)

Attachments

• rose cole postcard.jpg
    rose cole postcard.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 79
I actually have 2 questions on this one - I'm kind of struggling to make these things out:

Just below the name Rick, where she says 'I was doing great until Rick...' it looks like something else is written just below the name Rick but I can't make it out. Can anyone else read it? It looks capitalized so I thought it might be another name.

Secondly, below the 'Rick' item, there is something crossed out and replaced with 'them'. I didn't believe (something crossed out) them... that looks capitalized too and may start with a B. I'm just curious if anyone can figure out what it says?

Also, does anyone have copies of all the letters that can be reposted? I only seem to have bits and pieces of them, Isabela's site no longer works and Christine's is set to private so now I can't find them anywhere except bits and pieces in the video?

Thanks!

Attachments

• rosecoleletter.jpg
    rosecoleletter.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 68
I wonder if anyone can help with a couple things:

Firstly, the postcard with the Bay Bridge photo on the front. Can anyone tell where it was postmarked? (San Francisco or Oakland)?

(Second question to follow in next post)

A closer inspection of the postmark reveals that this card (which has a scenic view of the San Francisco Bay Bridge on the front) was stamped on Jan 10, 1973 and has what was then called a postal zone number of "940".

When I looked up a listing for "940" on Wikipedia using data from the USPS Sectional Center Facility (SCF) on Wikipedia, I learned the following:
San Francisco (940-41, 943-944)
Oakland (945-948)

SOURCE: Sectional center facility (SCF) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

(The first 3 numbers of today's US zip codes still use these zone numbers).

Therefore, in January of 1973 Rose Cole mailed this letter from somewhere within the city of San Francisco itself. Where she ended up after that is anyone's guess!

Hope this helps!

Thanks, Valmont! I don't know how you were able to read that.

Also one clarification on my 2nd question about the yellow paper letter... the crossed out part was changed to ''the people'', not ''them'' as I initially posted.

A closer inspection of the postmark reveals that this card (which has a scenic view of the San Francisco Bay Bridge on the front) was stamped on Jan 10, 1973 and has what was then called a postal zone number of "940".

When I looked up a listing for "940" on Wikipedia using data from the USPS Sectional Center Facility (SCF) on Wikipedia, I learned the following:

San Francisco (940-41, 943-944)
Oakland (945-948)

SOURCE: Sectional center facility (SCF) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

(The first 3 numbers of today's US zip codes still use these zone numbers).

Therefore, in January of 1973 Rose Cole mailed this letter from somewhere within the city of San Francisco itself. Where she ended up after that is anyone's guess!

Hope this helps!

What's interesting is that the 940 zip codes (at least nowadays) are south of San Francisco. They range from Daly City (borders SF) all the way down to Sunnyvale (close to San Jose). All the actual City of San Francisco zip codes are 941.

I'm about to go to bed now so I'll look at this a little more tomorrow...

I actually have 2 questions on this one - I'm kind of struggling to make these things out:

Just below the name Rick, where she says 'I was doing great until Rick...' it looks like something else is written just below the name Rick but I can't make it out. Can anyone else read it? It looks capitalized so I thought it might be another name.

Secondly, below the 'Rick' item, there is something crossed out and replaced with 'them'. I didn't believe (something crossed out) them... that looks capitalized too and may start with a B. I'm just curious if anyone can figure out what it says?

Also, does anyone have copies of all the letters that can be reposted? I only seem to have bits and pieces of them, Isabela's site no longer works and Christine's is set to private so now I can't find them anywhere except bits and pieces in the video?

Thanks!

Unfortunately, the resolution on the attachment isn't the best so the lettering became blurry when I tried to magnify it. I couldn't make out exactly what she wrote beneath Rick's name, though I suspect that this "B" character might be someone sent to Rose's Game. Why did she cross it out at the last minute? Only Rose herself could say for sure.

Perhaps there are too few details to make an adequate conclusion yet but I suspect that Rick and his followers were trying to break Rose's spirit and get her to join Synanon wholeheartedly. Why else would they go out of their way to make Rose feel unwanted by her family and unloved? This is classic cult behavior! "They don't love you like we love you" and all that!

But Rose didn't buy it! She became outraged by this treatment and quickly "split", being determined to find her way back home and learn the truth. And because Synanon had people throughout Oakland and Tomales Bay, she needed to lay low for awhile. That's how she wound up somewhere in the Bay Area, possibly in or near San Francisco. And in 1972 there would have been plenty of hippies, activists and even church groups there to help her along.

However, Rose herself said that Synanon was withholding the mail of its members and engaging in dubious emotional manipulation---which later led authorities to shut Synanon down! Rose was just ahead of the curve! She knew too much and Synanon knew it! Having her run away like that, potentially alerting police or the court system to their illegal practices was too great a risk. I wonder if Synanon felt threatened by Rose? And how far would they go to keep her quiet?

After 41 years it's difficult to say...but her continuing silence may speak for itself!

Thanks!

I have them but not on this computer. I will try to re-post them tomorrow.

Unfortunately, the resolution on the attachment isn't the best so the lettering became blurry when I tried to magnify it. I couldn't make out exactly what she wrote beneath Rick's name, though I suspect that this "B" character might be someone sent to Rose's Game. Why did she cross it out at the last minute? Only Rose herself could say for sure.

Respectfully snipped...

I was thinking that it could be another person's name, or possibly Rick's last name. She was gone from Synanon by then so she might have put his last name on there.

It's kind of hard to piece everything together from memory, it will probably be a little easier once Shadow posts the letters again (Thank you Shadow!:loveyou:) - but I know in one later letter (don't recall from when, exactly), she said she was in Chinatown. I was hoping to figure out if the postcard was also sent from Chinatown, because it would mean she was in that neighborhood for quite awhile, long enough that someone could remember her. Chinatown is a neighborhood that still has many long-time residents, I've read that some families there have been there for generations.

Also, the post card and at least one of the letters do not have her name, just her initials, which makes me think she was afraid to use her name - she also said she had pretended to be 19 so I'm guessing anyone who knew her in San Francisco probably knew her by a different name.

I found this UID (not sure if it's been looked at already)
https://identifyus.org/en/cases/5857

I found it interesting in light of the fact that she apparently called her father's third wife in 1978-1979, and that the address where the UID was found (717 Sutter) comes up as a hostel, among other things (hotel, San Francisco City College residence hall). I'm not sure what it was at that time, but I think the city directories are online somewhere so I can try to find out. It is also just southwest of Chinatown. A current search of 717 Sutter shows a older looking Chinese restaurant next door.

The UID had short hair and shaved eyebrows which could be a result of Synanon's shaving rituals? The only thing I don't like is that the hair color is described as 'sandy' which is not how I would describe Rose's hair from the photos.

ETA: 717 Sutter St was Hotel Glenwood in 1978. (Couldn't find a directory for 1979)

This UID is about the right height and just slightly over Rose's reported weight - which could be logical after 6 years. I too am bothered by the sandy hair color, though she might well have dyed her hair in an attempt to change her appearance. Still, the eyes were listed as blue when Rose's were supposed to be hazel. Still, the case report lists her face as "recognizable" so maybe there's an autopsy photo somewhere that could be used for identification purposes. Too bad there wasn't a cause of death listed. Could be relevant.

Here's a link to San Francisco Chinatown's Twitter and Facebook links. Perhaps we could start a discussion there and see if any longtime residents might recognize Rose's photo or share memories of her.

http://www.sanfranciscochinatown.com/blog/index.html

That's a good idea, I also would like to go through the city directories from the 70's and see just how "Chinese" Chinatown was at the time... I'm wondering if a girl like Rose would have stood out. I know Chinatown has always been a tourist attraction so there would have been plenty of non-Chinese mingling about, but I think only residents or employees in the neighborhood would have a chance of remembering her.

I think I remember her writing that she was staying with an older couple in Chinatown, that may have been the same letter where she said she had a kidney infection, I'm not sure.

I wanted to do a little research on Synanon's Tomales Bay facility from which I believe Rose Lena Cole may have run away in Dec of 1972. What I learned was both fascinating and chilling! For instance, did you know that today the facility is once again known by its original name?

The Marconi Conference Center

Here is a short blurb about it from Wikipedia:
The Marconi Conference Center State Historical Park/Marconi Conference Center SHP preserves a small hotel built by Guglielmo Marconi in 1913 to house personnel who staffed his transpacific radio receiver station nearby. The hotel and the associated operations building and employee cottages were built by the J.G. White Engineering Corp under contract to Marconi. RCA purchased the station from Marconi in 1920. The station was closed in 1939, though other nearby radio stations on the Point Reyes Peninsula still operate today. Synanon, a drug rehabilitation organization, owned it from the early 1960s until 1980, when it was purchased by a private foundation and given to the state in 1984 to operate as a conference center.

SOURCE: Tomales Bay - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I dug a little deeper and found this:
This was quite a remote site in 1914, and The Hotel housed station workers and Marconi guests. It offered the conveniences of a library, dining hall, billiard room and state-of-the-art plumbing. Built of concrete and tile, the three-story building's front veranda was designed in the classic Italinate villa style.

This same website went on to add that "It was Synanon's world headquarters from 1965 to 1980."

SOURCE: http://bobhudson.com/marconi/

Meanwhile I found this:
RCA continued to hold title to the Marshall site until 1947. In the ensuing years the property changed hands several times before it was acquired by the Synanon Foundation, then a Santa Monica based drug rehabilitation organization. Shortly afterward, the Marconi property became the “world headquarters” of Synanon, which also acquired other nearby ranch properties.

In the late 1960’s, Synanon began to de-emphasize its rehabilitation programs, and became a self-declared “alternative lifestyle community.” At its height, it had about 1700 members, a large number of whom lived at the Marshall property. In 1975, Synanon underwent another transformation, declaring itself a “church” and amassing a large cache of weapons. In 1979, a series of Pulitzer Prize-winning articles by the local newspaper, The Point Reyes Light, began to expose Synanon’s finances, internal practices and abuses in the local community. The state of California launched a special investigation into Synanon’s affairs and in 1980 Charles Dedrich, long-time leader of the organization, was convicted of conspiracy to commit murder. As one of the largest, longest-lived and certainly the most economically successful group of its kind, it should be recognized that Synanon will be the subject of scholarly interest and research.

During Synanon’s occupation of the property, several buildings were constructed, as well as a variety of landscape elements added. The buildings include a series of contemporary coastal shed-style residences and several corrugated metal structures scattered about the property. The pond next to the tennis courts and the vegetation planted close to the hotel and other buildings are the most notable of the landscape elements added.
SOURCE: http://www.marconiconference.org/history.html

A blogger named Ann wrote the following:
Synanon started as a rehabilitation program for drug and alchohol addicts, an alternative to Alcoholics/Narcotics Anonymous which emphasized self-reliance as opposed to reliance on a higher power. The Synanon prayer includes lines like "Let me understand rather than be understood," which I rather like. But Synanon itself then became a church; there was the usual partner-swapping and brutally honest encounter groups (known as Games), and then, as always in these stories, the time arrived to amass weapons. They never killed anyone but they did leave a rattlesnake in the mailbox of a lawyer who'd sued them. The Point Reyes Light reporters who exposed the operations received Pulitzers.

SOURCE: http://swerveandvanish.blogspot.com/2006/04/synanon.html

That lawyer, named Paul Morantz, was instrumental in finally bringing Synanon down. He wrote:
[Charles] Dederich said freedom to think to a dope addict was like a gun to a baby, and they wash dirty brains. Dederich is credited with coining the phrase “Today is the First Day of the Rest of Your Life.”

Juveniles in the 70’s were often sent to Synanon by juvenile agencies or by courts on juvenile officers’ recommendation. Synanon wanted the kids to try to keep their tax free status and placed them in a militaristic “Punk Squad” (forerunner of Scared Straight and other failed camp programs). As these juveniles did not want to be there, Synanon methods failed. Violence was then permitted upon them, breaking for first time Synanon’s “non violent rule.” Children were struck across the face, knocked down, otherwise punished and then “gamed.” Soon the OK on violence would spread to “splitees,” suspected thieves and perceived spies and enemies.

Dederich was ahead of times in ordering aerobics, running, diets and non smoking. All such “notions” Dederich declared were also a “squeeze” to get rotten fruit out of Synanon (those who will not obey). On remote properties in California such as Tomales Bay in Marin County and Badger, Tulare County, the organization had built un-permitted buildings, a trash dump, and an airstrip.

Lastly, Synanon engaged in "public beatings and getting “enemies” on missions that went coast to coast."

Perhaps that's why Rose was (and possibly remains) so afraid.

SOURCE: http://www.paulmorantz.com/cult/the-history-of-synanon-and-charles-dederich/

I realize that member attention seems to have tapered off somewhat. Even so, if you have a moment I strongly urge you to read the following article from a writer/painter named Victoria Jane. Tori was a teenage girl who was shipped off to a "troubled teen" facility much the same way that Rose was with Synanon. She too experienced similar cruelty and emotional manipulation at the hands of those who claimed to be helping her---and the worst part is that her experiences are more recent!

Though she didn't run away in this case, Tori's story and experiences may help shed some light on what Rose Lena Cole herself went through. Plus, Tori has insights and a unique perspective that few of us will ever have---and I hope fewer still will in the coming years.

On a personal note, it appalls me to see that such shameful institutions continue to exist in our time. In my opinion, meaningful legislative reform on the part of the US Congress and the White House is called for.

Anyway here is the link to the article:

http://www.cracked.com/article_20843_6-shocking-realities-secret-troubled-teen-industry.html

PS - I know that Cracked.com is a humor and satire website, but this article is anything but funny! Please read it to see what I mean!

I thought it relevant to bring up two songs which were extremely popular at the time Rose ran away from Synanon in Dec 1972.

The first is the Gilbert O'Sullivan single "Clair". Having debuted in Oct 1972 on his "Back to Front" album, "Clair" has a sentimental sing-song quality which evokes childhood innocence. It was a major hit on the Billboard 100 in Dec 1972 and Jan 1973, and was widely played on US radio stations at the time. Suppose Rose had heard the song in passing after leaving Synanon. Could it have reminded her of her best friend Claire back home in Flint? Did it make her more homesick as she wrote letters to family and friends?

Then there is the Helen Reddy feminist anthem "I Am Woman", which peaked at No. 1 on Dec. 9, 1972---the same week Reddy gave birth to her son Jordan. Released in May 1972, Reddy's song remains to this day a declaration of female empowerment. Rose ran away from Synanon just as this song was reaching the height of its popularity. Was she inspired to make her own way in the world by song lyrics as these:

Oh yes, I am wise
But it's wisdom born of pain
Yes, I've paid the price
But look how much I gained
If I have to, I can do anything
I am strong
(Strong)
I am invincible
(Invincible)
I am woman​

Powerful stuff!

In any case, I sometimes wonder if Rose's poetry was inspired by song lyrics she heard on the radio and record players. Only she could say for sure.

I found this quote from one of Rose's letters home, dated Dec 23, 1972:

I listen to different songs,
most make me feel like I don’t
belong. I feel so sad and blue,
I just want to make you guys
love me, as much as I love
you. I wish I could make you
see. Love me! Please, Mom,
Please love me! Oh God
love me, love me! please
love me!

How heartbreaking to hear someone write like that! To feel so sad, scared and utterly alone in the world. No one should have to feel this way, especially one so young and vulnerable. Did anyone ever love Rose again? Did she ever find acceptance anywhere?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
utahtruecrimepod
Back