SIDEBAR #23- Arias/Alexander forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spring Sunday Morning Music:

Zoltan Kocsis plays Debussy: Suite Bergamasque Prelude - YouTube

Not sure anyone likes Bartok much, so this one is at your own risk, lol. (I like Bartok, Janeck, and Stravinksy, all got a bad rap for breaking with tradition, but we should thank them as we received many more musics styles because of them.)

Zoltan Kocsis plays Bartók: Allegro Barbaro - YouTube

Hi merc :seeya:

Bartok seems too intense for a quiet Sunday for me.
I like Claude Debussy a lot. I especially like his Prelude to the Afternoon of a Faun- my favorite by him. I first heard it in high school in a music class and fell in love. He was considered a "Modernist". I guess for his time, he was.

Claude Debussy - Prelude to the Afternoon of a Faun - YouTube

(just in case I get side-tracked from today until Tuesday...)

2 more days until my hip replacement surgery!! :eek: :eek:hoh: getting a bit nervous... :nerves: Think of me about 11:15am (PST) Tuesday morning - say a prayer for me!! :grouphug: surgery should take about 2 hours!! I have given my Huz a link to this thread, so JUST in case "something" happens, he can post to you all, so you don't worry about me until Friday, when I SHOULD be back here!! :gathering:

:seeya:

Good luck, my dear. I will be thinking and praying for you.

TCM is playing A Summer Place right now, if anyone's interested.
I remember this movie from my teen years and always thought it was rather risque for it's time- for my time, at least :facepalm:

I was in love with the hunk, Troy Donahue back then and thought Sandra Dee was so cute.

"Teen idols Troy Donahue -- in his debut -- and Sandra Dee ("Gidget") star in this story of young love and an old romance which threatens to destroy two families during a summer holiday off the coast of Maine. Co-starring Oscar-nominee Arthur Kennedy ("Peyton Place") and ("Rich Man, Poor Man"). With a beautiful score by Max Steiner ("Gone With the Wind") and featuring the #1 hit song "Theme from a Summer Place."

A Summer Place - Trailer - YouTube

I found this very informative article about the penalty phase and may shed some light in what might happen in missy's :jail:(it's long, but interesting, IMO).
-----------------------------

.."Moderator: These penalty-phase-only retrials must seem odd to the new jurors.
The judge instructs them that they have to abide by the guilty verdict, yet they have not heard any of the evidence of guilt. Plus, it will soon come out when the date of the offense is revealed that the case is years—sometimes decades old. What help do jurors get in understanding the strange posture of the case?

Defense Attorney Britt: I always file a motion to preclude that a death sentence was found at the first trial. That is always granted. But I think the jurors all understand the case has been reversed and sent back, although that is not told to them in any way—they figure it out. So in theory they do not know, but really they do.

Defense Attorney Kerns: That is true. The jury is not supposed to know it is coming back for resentencing. However, it is hard for them not to know. For instance if the crime occurred in 1976 and the new jurors are sitting in 1998, they must be asking themselves, “How come I haven’t read about this is the paper?” The jury is not fooled.

Prosecutor Laeser: I agree also. The jury has to be told in very gentle terms that another jury has already heard the trial evidence. If the judge says, “I don’t want the jury to know he’s been on Death Row for fifteen years,” you have to fashion your statements around that. But the dates have not been excised, so the jury knows something is up. My assumption is that there are not twelve people stupid enough not to figure out he has been sentenced to death before. ..

Defense Attorney Kerns: Under Florida procedure, even a seven-to-five vote for death results in a death recommendation to the judge. So it is very important for the defense to ascertain in voir dire how much the jury knows about the first sentencing case. Specifically, do they know how the first jury found—that is, a unanimous verdict, as opposed to a split verdict?
----------
Moderator: Prosecutors, how do you try to get the jury up to speed on the guilt/innocence facts? Obviously, you want to do more than simply present the prior verdict form showing the conviction. But do you need to re-present all the guilt/innocence phase evidence, to the extent it is still available?

Prosecutor Laeser: In Florida when a case is sent back for resentencing, both parties start from square one, except for the fact of conviction. Indeed, the prosecution can even prove additional aggravating circumstance(s) beyond what it presented at the original trial. Under Florida law, we do not labor under the hearsay rule at the penalty phase, so in a penalty-phase-only retrial, I can put on summary witnesses. I can use a lead investigator to summarize parts or all of the investigation—this is important because it limits the cross-examination the defense can do. So I could put up a very bare bones case, but I do not do that. Strategically, I put on as much evidence as possible. To convince a jury that a death sentence is appropriate is a difficult task. I have to put on as many important witnesses as possible. I have to pull emotional heartstrings. This takes a huge amount of pretrial preparation. Usually it is a very old case; witnesses’ memories
are not all that sharp. You do not like to refresh their recollection in front of a jury. So it takes a lot of witness preparation...

Prosecutor Laeser: Even though the jurors are told they have to assume guilt, some jurors are very hesitant to accept someone else’s finding. Some feel they have to be absolutely certain of guilt before assessing a death sentence. As a practical matter, we usually do present enough evidence to persuade them, but we do not take anything for granted...

Defense Attorney Gelman: You cannot challenge a finding of guilt, although you can subtly try to inject some doubt. But it is usually better not to because the prosecutor can really slam you on that. Plus, I do not think it is likely to be effective to try to get this jury to say the first jury made a mistake—that is just not going to happen. So you proceed with the assumption that they have been convicted and try to show more mitigating circumstances than aggravating. ..

Defense Attorney Silver: I think trying the penalty phase to a new jury may give the defense a slight advantage in contesting the aggravators, over the original trial. It would be very hard to attack the aggravators right after you had just tried and lost the guilt/innocence phase of a trial that included the aggravating evidence. If you started trying to water down what they heard, I think the jury will resent you. But before a new jury, it is possible for the defense to present evidence concerning
why the crime is not as bad as it seems. You are telling the jury, “I’m not asking you to say he’s not guilty, just that there is something about the crime that is not that horrible.” It is a difficult balancing act...

Prosecutor Hawkins: I think mitigation has to really stand out for juries to take note...

http://moritzlaw.osu.edu/students/groups/osjcl/files/2012/05/McCord-PDF-11-29-04.pdf

James Rebhorn, Star of 'Independence Day' and 'Scent of a Woman,' Dies at 65:

"Hollywood is mourning one of its most recognized "that guys" as James Rebhorn has died at age 65.
The veteran character actor, who had an extensive resume of memorable supporting roles in a wide variety of genres from sci-fi blockbusters ("Independence Day") to gritty thrillers ("The Game") to Oscar-winning tearjerkers ("Scent of a Woman"), passed away on Friday surrounded by his family, a rep for Rebhorn confirms to Yahoo Movies. The cause of death was a melanoma first diagnosed in 1992.

"He had been fighting it ever since but managed to keep working," his rep noted..."

http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie-news/james-rebhorn-dies-65-181324318.html

RIP

I remember this movie from my teen years and always thought it was rather risque for it's time- for my time, at least :facepalm:

I was in love with the hunk, Troy Donahue back then and thought Sandra Dee was so cute.

"Teen idols Troy Donahue -- in his debut -- and Sandra Dee ("Gidget") star in this story of young love and an old romance which threatens to destroy two families during a summer holiday off the coast of Maine. Co-starring Oscar-nominee Arthur Kennedy ("Peyton Place") and ("Rich Man, Poor Man"). With a beautiful score by Max Steiner ("Gone With the Wind") and featuring the #1 hit song "Theme from a Summer Place."

I watched it! Great movie ... but we weren't yet teenagers. I was 8 and you were 9. Was still playing with dolls probably. :floorlaugh: I think I saw it 10 years or so later. :facepalm:

I haven't seen that in years, the theme song is beautiful though , I have it on one of my homemade CD's. Anyway, have the movie recorded to watch later . Right now I'm trying to watch Jesse Stone , ( having a lot of interruptions :rolleyes: ). They're running several of them on the Hallmark Movie Channel. I'm a sucker for Tom Selleck, he's soooooo cute, what a hunk. :heartbeat: :giggle:

2 more days until my hip replacement surgery!! :eek: :eek:hoh: getting a bit nervous... :nerves: Think of me about 11:15am (PST) Tuesday morning - say a prayer for me!! :grouphug: surgery should take about 2 hours!! I have given my Huz a link to this thread, so JUST in case "something" happens, he can post to you all, so you don't worry about me until Friday, when I SHOULD be back here!! :gathering:

Will be thinking of you Niner, and sending prayers for strength and healing your way. Get well and come back to us soon da'ling. :loveyou:

No that's not a typo, just been watching too many classic movies, da'ling. :giggle:

We'll be there with you in spirit, Niner! Have a speedy recovery!

Wishing you a speedy recovery, Niner! My mother-in-law will be having her hip replacement surgery the following week. We just might have to compare the success and recovery experiences. I believe her surgery will be through a tiny incision, which surprised me.

Good luck to you!

I'm shaking so much it's hard to type. My little girl, Monalou, was attacked by two pitbull that got over our fence and attacked about three hours ago. She is in surgery. I am so thankful that my grandson and his friend, Tristan, heard it and saved her, I'm thankful they didn't get hurt. I know you will understand that the first I felt the need to tell is you.

I'm shaking so much it's hard to type. My little girl, Monalou, was attacked by two pitbull that got over our fence and attacked about three hours ago. She is in surgery. I am so thankful that my grandson and his friend, Tristan, heard it and saved her, I'm thankful they didn't get hurt. I know you will understand that the first I felt the need to tell is you.

omg....i hope she makes a speedy recovery!

Thank you for letting us know, page bender, and keep us updated.
I hope she'll be fine. Hugs.

Speedy recovery!! b diligent w the PT it's really important! Make sure u Hv all the grabber tools shower stand seat and raised toilet seat, all should b covered by yer insurance, someone nds to hv Thm for you before u go hm ok? We used a black lrg plastic garbage bag to help DH slide onto the passenger seat when we got him hm. Hv someone call or go to the local medical supply for the bag of grabber tools the toilet seat attachment and shower seat stand. Very best of luck. You will nd to go to physical therapy and it's so important to learn and do those exercises so you can MVP that hip! I hope u Hv a driver to get u to and frm therapy. Best wishes!

---------
Hi Niner, I will be thinking of you, saying a prayer for not much pain. Just dont you get used to meals being served and decide to stay longer!! My cousin was in about 5days then spent a week in rehab. She did fine! you will too!! dont try to run races. Loveya, Nore:loveyou: :blowkiss:

Oh my goodness, how terrible for your little Monalou. I personally am sick to death of these pit bulls, they are a danger to everyone. Why are they even allowed to be bred anymore ? Or for that matter, allowed around people at all ? I am a very passionate dog lover. But these dogs, they are not just "dogs". They are savages, and just too dangerous. A woman in a community that we visit several times a year, was recently killed by one. It's an outrage. :banghead:

I so hope she's going to be ok. :hug:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member