Sheila and Katherine Lyon-sisters missing since 1975 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
richard -- that's great info, if it's true, but please give me your source of how you KNOW that the info given police on 4/1/75 was from a tip. i know the stepmom (you said his mom - but his mom was dead. it was his stepmom.) said she remembered him calling in, but how do we KNOW that that's the way the police got his address on 4/1/75. couldn't it have been from interviewing him? thanks!

richard -- that's great info, if it's true, but please give me your source of how you KNOW that the info given police on 4/1/75 was from a tip. i know the stepmom (you said his mom - but his mom was dead. it was his stepmom.) said she remembered him calling in, but how do we KNOW that that's the way the police got his address on 4/1/75. couldn't it have been from interviewing him? thanks!

You are correct about it being his Stepmother rather than his Biological Mother who made the statement. Being a Biological Parent, a Foster Parent, and an Adoptive Parent, myself I often do not make the distinction when speaking or writing. I assume that you are referring to a post I made some time back. Here is a more recent one that I made on the Lloyd Welch thread a few days ago:

quote ... What he said to police on 1 April 1975 (if anything) would certainly have to be verified, but the fact that he SAID that he was going to call in a tip and try to claim a reward CAN be verified:

- His stepmother clearly recalled that Lloyd made such a statement in her presense at her Hyattsville home after hearing about a reward.
- Police have verified that they received Lloyd's name and Hyattsville address FROM HIM on 1 April 1975.
- On 1 April 1975, the Washington Post reported for the first time that a reward of $7,000 was being offered for information leading to the recovery of the Lyon Sisters. The article states that MCP had requested that no reward be offered previous to that 1 April date.

I do not know what was in Lloyd's head at the time or what he actually said to the police, but it is clear that he was claiming to know something about the case on that day. The big questions are "What information did he give?" and "What did MCP do in response?" unquote.

My source for the statement about Lloyd Welch's Hyattsville address comes directly from the MCP press conference of February 2014. They posted a very specific date: 1 April 1975 and stated that it was provided to them. While it is possible that Lloyd could have been picked up for some reason and provided that address, it is NOT because of any charges, as there are none in the Maryland Juciciary record for that date.

Also, it is rather likely that current case officers found this address and possibly a statement in the Lyon file, since that is where they would have been looking. The possibility that some random (and unrelated) police stop was in some way connected to the case 39 years later just is too much of a stretch.

The fact that Lloyd SAID he was going to call in a tip Probably on 1 April 1975 (when news of the reward first broke) and the fact that police had that address in their file provided by him on the same date is too much of a coincidence to be ignored. The fact, also that he has been associated with the case as a person of interest whom police now believe was at Wheaton Plaza would also indicate that Lloyd may well have spoken with them about the Lyon sisters in his attempt to claim the reward.

As I stated in my post quoted above, whether Lloyd only phoned in a tip to police or whether they subsequently followed up on it in person is something that I do not know. Certainly a big question to be answered.

I happened to notice in reading some threads, that not only did the Lyon sisters go missing just days before BOTH of their birthdays, but I saw at least one or perhaps more cases of the same thing.
Hmmm. Coincidence or connection?

That's a very strange case; does it have a thread of its own anywhere?

The detail that jumps out at me is the fact that the people he was with are not named; how is it known that he was at the supermarket if the people he went with aren't known? They must be known; why aren't their names being revealed? If this really is connected, I wonder if it was immediately clear that his disappearance was not isolated. If the police knew then that it was part of something bigger, maybe that would explain the lack of details given.

The thread was started in September 2014.
It's under "Missing But Not Forgotten"; "2000-cases"; VA: "James Walker"

I have been following the Lyon sisters case for sometime now and have always remained extremely interested in seeing justice down for those two young girls.

I worked in Wheaton at the time as a Giant Food cashier at the Plaza. And after hearing of the October press release listing Richard Welch as another person of interest and the possibility that he worked as a security guard at the Plaza during the time period teh Lyon girls went missing, I began to search on-line for additional information related to the case. After my daughter suggested this site, I recently started reading through the threads related to the missing girls and after seeing the picture which was posted of Richard Welch in a security guard uniform, I was struck by the thought that his picture looked very familiar.It immediately reminded me of a man who worked as a security officer around '75 who for whatever reason would bring his dog with him to work sometimes on the night shift. I don't know if it was a pet or work dog but I do recall the guard putting the dog in a station wagon he drove.

I am really disturbed by the thought that there could be some potential to the previous posts I read about Lloyd Welch and Richard Welch planning to kidnap the girls together.

I have been following the Lyon sisters case for sometime now and have always remained extremely interested in seeing justice down for those two young girls.

I worked in Wheaton at the time as a Giant Food cashier at the Plaza. And after hearing of the October press release listing Richard Welch as another person of interest and the possibility that he worked as a security guard at the Plaza during the time period teh Lyon girls went missing, I began to search on-line for additional information related to the case. After my daughter suggested this site, I recently started reading through the threads related to the missing girls and after seeing the picture which was posted of Richard Welch in a security guard uniform, I was struck by the thought that his picture looked very familiar.It immediately reminded me of a man who worked as a security officer around '75 who for whatever reason would bring his dog with him to work sometimes on the night shift. I don't know if it was a pet or work dog but I do recall the guard putting the dog in a station wagon he drove.

I am really disturbed by the thought that there could be some potential to the previous posts I read about Lloyd Welch and Richard Welch planning to kidnap the girls together.

Welcome to Ws Fran51, thanks for your valuable input!

You should call the Montgomery County Police Major Crimes Division at 240.773.5070. They are asking for anyone who might be able to place Richard Welch at the Mall to give them a call.

Welcome Fran 51!! PLEASE call LE!! Your info could be very helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Important FYI:

I have recently seen how the Virginia TV news station WSET with Angela Hatcher as the reporter, seems to be keeping the MOST up-to-date than other sources.

You can also follow her on Facebook and Twitter.

Some other news stations from Virginia following the case are WSLS and WDBJ.

I even read an article from last month that stated Angela Hatcher was told that the Grand Jury could continue until THE END OF THIS YEAR!

I will try to repost articles or videos when I can.

Does anyone else know if the Grand Jury is still going on in Bedford County, Virginia?

Thanks for the police contact you provided. I called Montgomery County Cold Case unit with the information this afternoon...hopefully it will help!

Thanks for the police contact you provided. I called Montgomery County Cold Case unit with the information this afternoon...hopefully it will help!

Fran51, I sent you a personal message.
Click on the tab at the top of the page called "Private Messages".
Thanks!

This is reposted from the "News Articles" thread.

Important FYI:

I have recently seen how the Virginia TV news station WSET with Angela Hatcher as the reporter, seems to be keeping the MOST up-to-date than other sources.

I even read an article from last month that stated Angela Hatcher was told that the Grand Jury could continue until THE END OF THIS YEAR!

Does anyone else know if the Grand Jury is still going on in Bedford County, Virginia?

This is also reposted from the "News Articles" thread.

Here is a link from Angela Hatcher's Twitter account which takes you to her Facebook account.
It mentions how Randy Krantz indicated the length of the Grand Jury in Bedford County, Virginia.

http://fb.me/2DEMZdhKh

Important FYI:

Thanks for this info. I have liked all three of these stations on Facebook as well as Angela Hatcher's page. She does seem to be on top of this. I just hope we'll know something before the end of the year.

Well, there is so much I could post from AngelaHatcher13 (news reporter for WSET Twitter account), that I encourage all who are interested to follow her and WSET on Twitter and Facebook!!

Angela Hatcher knows A WHOLE LOT MORE DETAILS than we are getting from Maryland Newscasts.

Welcome to websleuths! Thank you for your post and for calling in with your information it is appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarrickuk