Theories #1: What Happened to Jennifer Kesse?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate to admit this, but I have listened to the 2nd part of the podcast twice and I still have not managed to hear the part about Travis being with Logan. Should I listen a 3rd time? (I'm sure I will in the course of two weeks, anyway.) :) As always, I would love to know Logan's first impressions of the condition of Jennifer's condo--and his thoughts on the Chinese food found in Jenn's fridge.

At 20:20 in the podcast, Joyce Kesse states that Logan arrives at 3:00 (Greta Van Susteren stated he arrived at noon) with Travis. I didn't pick it up the first time through, but I caught it the 2nd time while listening for something else.

I posted these thoughts a week or so ago:

These thoughts are dependent upon the cell phones being powered off at 10:40pm.
Mr Kesse has stated this happened.
The only question I have regarding this is where did Mr Kesse get this information from? LE or another crime site?

A morning abduction appeals as the more plausible scenario.

What we really need is some info from LE not any second or third party.

The site where I first read about phones being powered off and a nighttime abduction strongly claims this information is correct.

After eleven + years all we really know is Jennifer's car was found at HOTG, the POI was captured by cameras as he walked away from said car, Bo, a bloodhound tracked a scent from the car back to Mosaic and Jennifer is still missing.

What does LE have that only the perpetrator would know?
BBM - Exactly. Unfortunately, I don't think LE will ever tip their hand; and that is what will eventually solve Jennifer's abduction--if that ever happens. Mr. & Mrs. Kesse are victims themselves and are way too close to this case.

I have some sympathy for Shaun--he spent the last two weeks learning what we have known all along--little accurate information exists. Plus, it is hard to separate what is accurate from what is not.

At 20:20 in the podcast, Joyce Kesse states that Logan arrives at 3:00 (Greta Van Susteren stated he arrived at noon) with Travis. I didn't pick it up the first time through, but I caught it the 2nd time while listening for something else.
Thank you for this! I finally caught it--I'm sure your pointing out the time helped immensely. I have no idea how I missed that--twice. :)

So, Travis made the panicked journey with Logan, arriving at 3:00 PM, 15 minutes before Mr. & Mrs. Kesse. Did anyone know where Matt was at that time? Were Travis and Logan aware--at that time--that Matt had spent hours at the Blue Martini getting "stinking drunk". Were they curious as to whether or not Matt had made contact with Jennifer the evening of the 23rd? If Matt was truly "stinking drunk" did he have any memory of the evening? The Blue Martini must have closed at some point--what did he do then? Where did he wake up?

Where was Travis when Logan was banging on the windows and doors of the van? What was he doing? Did either of them think to get the license plate number of the van? Did the occupants of the van stay silent because they were intimidated by the actions of the two large white males, or did they stay silent for more nefarious reasons?

Was it normal for a worker's van to be parked in or near Jennifer's parking spot at that time of day--in or near the spot where a tracking dog would later lead detectives to as the hound (said respectfully) tracked the POI's trail?

I know there are no answers for any discussion on this, but it could be important--or maybe not. I only hope LE looked into it, and at least a part of me believes they did.

The phones powered off at night is in doubt, i think it is morelikely Jennifer was abducted on the morning and most likely on her way to work. Or she could have been abducted when she arrived at her workplace.
Jennifer left home earlier that morning .
she wanted to send the phone first thing in the morning and get it over with ,before work.
When she arrived at work,hye was waiting there . Jennifer was alone and let her guard down because she felt safe at her workplace.

I'm back to a morning abduction too after listening to the podcast this morning. Joyce makes really good points for why Jennifer likely got ready for work Tuesday morning (water behind the shampoo bottle, T-shirt she wore to bed the night before on the bathroom floor, etc.). Plus, LE has always said they believe it was a morning abduction, and since they are the ones who are privy to the cell phones records and know exactly when they were powered off, they must have reason to believe that. I know Joyce struggles with how Jennifer was overpowered, but if she were just heading out of her condo carrying her briefcase and likely lost in thought about work, Rob, life (like we all are most of the time), she could have been grabbed from behind and either Chloroformed like Joyce suggested, or dragged into the unlocked condo across the way and incapacitated there. I guess what confuses me with that scenario is how did the POI get Jennifer out of the empty condo without anyone seeing? And again, why did he move her car? Those things make me believe she actually either made it to her car or was incapacitated on the stairs and dragged to her car. I feel like if it can be narrowed down to a tighter timeframe, it will be easier to narrow down who could have been in that area at that time.

I'm just rambling now but I am just so happy the podcast is helping clear up a bunch of misconceptions I and others have had over the years.

The phones powered off at night is in doubt, i think it is morelikely Jennifer was abducted on the morning and most likely on her way to work. Or she could have been abducted when she arrived at her workplace.
Jennifer left home earlier that morning .
she wanted to send the phone first thing in the morning and get it over with ,before work.
When she arrived at work,hye was waiting there . Jennifer was alone and let her guard down because she felt safe at her workplace.

I don't think Jennifer would have left earlier than usual to mail the phone, only because Joyce mentioned her work had FedEx shipping capabilities on site, so I'm imagining it's a lot like my work where we prepare the package, toss it in a mail bin, and the mail clerk takes it down to the FedEx drop at a specific time. I think she could have done this at any time during the work day, so I'm not sure she necessarily needed to leave her condo early for that purpose. (This is of course only my opinion based on how shipping works at my office.)

It is not mentioned anywhere that jennifer used Fedex from her work before. If this was her first time mailing something from work ,she came early that day ,the workers didn't arrive yet ,she could have went to another area she was not so familiar with, another building looking for Fedex . she parked her car not where she usually park the car and was abducted right there.

After the podcast I am back to a morning abduction. It just flows easier with a morning abduction and if you take away the phone time which might not be accurate & was throwing me off then it makes sense she got up, took the shower, got ready with all her work items and both phones and went to her car.

I know there are not definite answers to things but just to ask something that I might not have read yet do we know for sure she never even made it to the parking lot of her work? I know she didn't make it into work that day but not even to the parking lot? Maybe she ran into someone there and that is where everything took place? Then for whatever reason, they drove her car back to dump it off maybe. Then they took a bus back to the parking lot of her work where their own car was parked?

I know there are not definite answers to things but just to ask something that I might not have read yet do we know for sure she never even made it to the parking lot of her work? I know she didn't make it into work that day but not even to the parking lot?

We don't have any way to know whether she actually made it to work that morning, but my thought on that is that it would be WAY more brazen and risky to abduct someone from the parking lot of an office building at the busiest time of the morning vs. at a condo complex where half (or more?) of the condos were empty.

I have a question I'm not sure anyone can answer...did LE ever watch more of the CCTV footage from the HOTG camera to see if the POI ever came back later that night? I doubt he lived there, and he may have chosen that spot because it was a place to park the car relatively close to Jennifer's condo, but I just wondered if maybe he came back to see if the car was still there, if anyone had spotted it yet, etc. Just a thought but I doubt LE would say even if they knew.

I don't see the abduction happening anywhere else but her condo, probably in the parking lot, with her car being the getaway vehicle.
Anywhere else and there is no need for the car to be returned to the general area of her condo. The perp needed to be back there for his/her own transportation.

I have often wondered if OPD watched additional footage to determine if the POI was in additionsl shots....Apparently there were three cameras at the HOTG and they were spliced together in the video that we see with the different angles of the POI.....

I believe OPD messed up by withholding from the public the video, it was released I have read at Drew's insistence when it was....Had it been released shortly after the video was discovered there would have surely been a greater opportunity that someone would have recognized the POI....

I cannot for the life of me after watching the video of the POI see why OPD withheld it for 17 months UNLESS they only released a portion of the POI video.....Surely, there is more to this video that prompted OPD to withhold it from the public???? Is there other footage that identifies this POI and they wanted to use it if the POI is ever found?

Every Tuesday morning there were landscapers working outside,they started their work day around 700 am .None of these workers remember seeing Jennifer or her car that Tuesday morning.
None of the neighbors remember seeing Jennifer that morning.
Jennifer left the her house before the landscapers arrived so it was very early in the morning . When she arrived at work it was still early ,none of the other workers arrived yet. Jennifer drove around looking for the area where she could send the phone from... and she parked her car and was abducted and forced to drive away ...
She could have been abducted even before she entered her work place.

I don't see the abduction happening anywhere else but her condo, probably in the parking lot, with her car being the getaway vehicle.
Anywhere else and there is no need for the car to be returned to the general area of her condo. The perp needed to be back there for his/her own transportation.

This sums it up pretty well but there are still things we don't know.

From the podcast, it is clear the phones were not shut off at 10:40pm Monday. Jennifer's mother was not clear if both phones were shut down at the same. It would be interesting to know when each was shut off.

I have never doubted that Jen was abducted in the morning and her car was used in the crime. Still I find it interesting that it went down at least five days when she was on vacation and had not been following her normal routine. How did the abductor (or abductors) know she would be back to her normal routine that morning?

If only one person, most likely male, took her, he probably used a gun and had her drive. Her mother thought she was well aware of this possibility and would have gotten into a wreak rather than go where she was being taken. That is generally the recommended response. The only reason a victim should allow her self to be in a situation where there are no other people around is if she has reason to believe she will OK if she goes along with the abductor. Did she know him and believe he wouldn't hurt her. It would be very unusual for a rejected suitor to do such a thing but anything is possible.

If there were two involved, it would be an almost dead certainly that the abductors were not known to her. It could have been carried out with two far more easily than one. Tag team sex crimes are rare but hardly unknown. The big problem would be that two can never really trust each other and, very often one will end up giving the other away.

I am curious as to where the 10:40 pm time came from as to when the phones were powered down and presumably the batteries removed from each phone....I have read where Drew discusses on the guestbook page the 10:40 pm time regarding the phones being powered off on 2/15 and 3/14/16 and also on other dates....So, where did the 10:40 pm time originate regarding the phones?

This sums it up pretty well but there are still things we don't know.

From the podcast, it is clear the phones were not shut off at 10:40pm Monday. Jennifer's mother was not clear if both phones were shut down at the same. It would be interesting to know when each was shut off.

I have never doubted that Jen was abducted in the morning and her car was used in the crime. Still I find it interesting that it went down at least five days when she was on vacation and had not been following her normal routine. How did the abductor (or abductors) know she would be back to her normal routine that morning?

If only one person, most likely male, took her, he probably used a gun and had her drive. Her mother thought she was well aware of this possibility and would have gotten into a wreak rather than go where she was being taken. That is generally the recommended response. The only reason a victim should allow her self to be in a situation where there are no other people around is if she has reason to believe she will OK if she goes along with the abductor. Did she know him and believe he wouldn't hurt her. It would be very unusual for a rejected suitor to do such a thing but anything is possible.

If there were two involved, it would be an almost dead certainly that the abductors were not known to her. It could have been carried out with two far more easily than one. Tag team sex crimes are rare but hardly unknown. The big problem would be that two can never really trust each other and, very often one will end up giving the other away.
BBM - Below I have pasted a brief and unofficial transcript I typed from the 2nd episode of the "Concluded" podcast. I understand something different from Mrs. Kesse:

@ 10:08 Mrs. Kesse: They were powered off. The batteries were removed, which rendered them useless. And they know—the police know—the time that that happened but 11 years later that’s something the police haven’t shared with us. Like we asked them—there is just certain things—and—it’s frustrating as all hell, but there is just certain things that they don’t tell us the specifics for it; because—you know—if they ever find the person, they want to be able to convict.

@11:14 Mrs. Kesse: No, so I think those are maybe people fictionalizing. But no, if anybody knows, the family would know. And if law enforcement isn’t telling us, they certainly wouldn’t tell anyone else.

@ 12:15 Mrs. Kesse: When cell phone towers—and again, 11 years ago, the technology has improved. They might not do it the way they did 11 years ago. But if a cell phone tower was being taken down, for any reason, like a temporary—say a temporary glitch in technology—then what happens is the signals then ping to another cell phone tower.

Initially, the two detectives thought that Jennifer was taken that night. They thought that Jennifer—Jennifer. These two gumshoe detectives thought that Jennifer would have gone out after ten o’clock at night to take Logan’s friend’s phone to a UPS or a FedEx mail envelope—twice—at ten o’clock at night. We kept trying to tell them there is no way in hell. She works where they have FedEx and UPS right on site, and that’s what she had told Logan’s friend that she was going to do. There is no way that she would have gotten off the phone at ten o’clock at night with Rob and then decided: “Oh, gee. Travis needs his phone really bad—let me go drive around and try to find a place that I could FedEx the phone.” Jennifer was too smart, Sean. She knew that it wouldn’t make any difference if she did it at night or in the morning, #1. And #2, her personal safety was something that Jennifer was very much aware of—most of her teenage and early adult life. So there is just no way. And the frustration that we had is that the law enforcement kept focusing on that. That the time of the crime—if you will—occurred in the evening. That—after ten o’clock at night, that night. I mean, there is just no way.

Am I the only one who thinks she is talking about both phones being shut down or powered down at the same time?

I am not clear myself if official records can tell the difference between a cell phone having a powering down event or a cell phone having its battery removed; but Mrs. Kesse refers to the cell phones as "they"--so both together, and she speaks to the time as a singular occurrence.

Also, I get the impression she is not saying "no" to the 10:40 PM time--only that LE has never officially confirmed that information. Not to the family and not to the public. I think Mrs. Kesse indicates that LE does absolutely have a specific time, though.

Feel free to disagree with me. Disagreement is great for discussion. :)

Truth P,

Thanks, I listened to that segment a couple of times but it really helps to read it. What she said does not make it clear whether they were shut down at the same time or different times. I mam also unclear about the batteries. It is my understanding that if you power off a phone it will not ping. When I leave the country, I power off and have a full charge when I power back on two weeks later. I would think two weeks of pinging would deplete a battery pretty well. Do all phones work this way? Have they always?

It never made sense to me that Jennifer would make a special trip late at night just so that some friend of her kid brother could get his phone back a little sooner when he had carelessly left it there in the first place. Does FedEx even pick up in the middle of the night? Powering off as soon as she found it would have been nice. That would have prevented it from running down so Travis could check his messages as soon as it arrived without having to recharge. I don't know if I would have thought to do that.

Even in 2005, people wouldn't normally power off at home so the fact that Jennifer's phone was powered of is likely significant to the investigation.

At the time, plenty of crimes were solved by tracing the pings of a cell phone. As the public has become more aware of how they work, average criminals have become more careful about cell phones. I am not ready to credit some as a criminal genius because he knew to power off a phone as soon as he abducted someone but it does show a little savvy if that is what he did.

From what I know about the cellular system, phones will ping off every cell tower with in range unless that tower is down or it is maxed out. The system recognizes which available tower, usually the one with the strongest signal, is responsible for each phone in the system. The system is able to reassign a particular phone to a different tower if it is moving in a vehicle or if towers become maxed out or are otherwise unavailable. Apparently all of this information is available and retrievable by the cell company for a while. This information is difficult to obtain(i.e. expensive) and there are glitchs in the system as well as inevitable human error. Very often, no one in either the cell company or Law Enforcement can make an absolutely accurate interpretation of that data. As an example, a phone might ping towers A B and C but be assigned to A. Suddenly assignment shifts to tower C and no pings were detected on A and B. That might mean the phone was closets to tower A but with in range of B and C and then it moved out of range of both A and B but was still in range of C. OR, it may mean that the phone didn't move at all and there was something going on in the system. Probably all that could be reasonably determined would be that the phone was "near" towers A B C but not near a fourth tower X during this time. ( does this make any sense?)

The frustrating thing about this is that we, and of course the family, are trying to make inferences based on the information available when we know that Law Enforcement has one piece of information that might change everything.

Truth P,

Thanks, I listened to that segment a couple of times but it really helps to read it. What she said does not make it clear whether they were shut down at the same time or different times.
Yes, honestly, I don't disagree with this.

I mam also unclear about the batteries. It is my understanding that if you power off a phone it will not ping. When I leave the country, I power off and have a full charge when I power back on two weeks later. I would think two weeks of pinging would deplete a battery pretty well. Do all phones work this way? Have they always?
BBM - In your example, did you leave your phone home? I'm really unsure about this, but I think at least some types of phones ping even when turned off--as they enter a new tower zone. (The phone must somehow be physically moving.) Now if the batteries or the SIM card is/are removed, the phone is unable to ping. That was my understanding of older cell phones; however, I'm willing to take my blows on this because my grasp of the subject matter is slim to none.

It never made sense to me that Jennifer would make a special trip late at night just so that some friend of her kid brother could get his phone back a little sooner when he had carelessly left it there in the first place.
I could never quite swallow this, either. Jennifer's girl friend since childhood described Jenn's mood as a little bit funky that night. I take that as meaning a little bit down--just the result of reality setting in after returning from a wonderful vacation. I don't know where that fits, but it could go in the column of intending to stay home.

The damp shower, clothes on the bathroom room floor; damp towel over the washer (in another room), water in the shower corners and under bottles--none of that holds much weight for me when considering clues pointing to a morning abduction. (Never did.) Of course, I have to say right up front--I am not from the area. However, water will stay in my shower corners and particularly under my shampoo bottle until the next morning and beyond if I don't wipe it.

And I don't know if anyone else would agree with this, but I often wonder about the t-shirt and things that were left on the bathroom floor. Why would she have taken time to throw the towel over the washer but not scoop up the things on the bathroom floor? I contemplate that she could have wrapped the towel around herself and walked to her bedroom to get dressed. Maybe on her way out of the bedroom, heading to the bathroom for hair and make-up purposes, she put the towel to dry on the washer as she walk passed the washer/dryer area. That might make sense--but were the clothes in the middle of the floor? I think I heard that, but I'm not sure. As she was doing her hair and putting on make-up, wouldn't they have been in her way? Maybe this is an age thing, but they could create a tripping hazard.

The missing contacts are probably the best indication that Jenn was home and preparing for work in the morning--but if the abduction happened shortly after she talked to Rob the night before, maybe she hadn't gotten around to removing them.

I truly, truly believe that a forensic team should have scoured Jennifer's condo. It's shocking to think that wasn't done. And I'm sure everyone is aware of this, but evil-doers have been known to use their victim's shower.

Does FedEx even pick up in the middle of the night?
This has been much debated, and I think the conclusion was that it can vary from city to city. In Jenn's area in 2006, I think it was possible but nothing close-by and convenient. Simply taking it to work with her in the morning would have been the easiest and safest thing to do.

Powering off as soon as she found it would have been nice. That would have prevented it from running down so Travis could check his messages as soon as it arrived without having to recharge. I don't know if I would have thought to do that.
Interesting. You know, I can see Jennifer being thoughtful and considerate enough to do this.

Even in 2005, people wouldn't normally power off at home so the fact that Jennifer's phone was powered of is likely significant to the investigation.
And let's remember--well, if true--that Jennifer used her cell phone as her morning alarm clock. Indeed, what you mention above is incredibly significant. But we need to know if it was powered off or the battery/SIM card removed and we need to know when this happened. I do believe LE has this information.

And the big thing for me--the very big thing I want to know is: whichever event happened--did it happen for both phones at the same time? If so, it would narrow down the suspects considerably. How many people knew she had Travis' cell phone?

At the time, plenty of crimes were solved by tracing the pings of a cell phone. As the public has become more aware of how they work, average criminals have become more careful about cell phones. I am not ready to credit some as a criminal genius because he knew to power off a phone as soon as he abducted someone but it does show a little savvy if that is what he did.
Yes, agreed.

From what I know about the cellular system, phones will ping off every cell tower with in range unless that tower is down or it is maxed out. The system recognizes which available tower, usually the one with the strongest signal, is responsible for each phone in the system. The system is able to reassign a particular phone to a different tower if it is moving in a vehicle or if towers become maxed out or are otherwise unavailable. Apparently all of this information is available and retrievable by the cell company for a while. This information is difficult to obtain(i.e. expensive) and there are glitchs in the system as well as inevitable human error. Very often, no one in either the cell company or Law Enforcement can make an absolutely accurate interpretation of that data. As an example, a phone might ping towers A B and C but be assigned to A. Suddenly assignment shifts to tower C and no pings were detected on A and B. That might mean the phone was closets to tower A but with in range of B and C and then it moved out of range of both A and B but was still in range of C. OR, it may mean that the phone didn't move at all and there was something going on in the system. Probably all that could be reasonably determined would be that the phone was "near" towers A B C but not near a fourth tower X during this time. ( does this make any sense?)
This is a good explanation. Thank you.

The frustrating thing about this is that we, and of course the family, are trying to make inferences based on the information available when we know that Law Enforcement has one piece of information that might change everything.
Exactly. I wouldn't be surprised if LE has more than one piece. Also, LE has been known to allow an unconfirmed leak or two if it serves their own purposes. I sometimes wonder if we are seeing a bit of that in this case. They are taking much public criticism over their handling of it, and perhaps they have tried to make people understand that Jennifer's disappearance has different elements that we should consider. I don't, though. Who does?

One thing I want to add is I hope the podcast continues because it could reach a lot of people. It could make people aware of Jennifer, make them care, get them talking--even if everything is all wrong. The important thing is that it creates awareness. And somebody knows. Maybe after all these years, something will slip out. The final little something that will allow LE to go "bingo."

Im converted to the morning abduction angle now, yes the 10:40 time line could have been leaked but great knowledge was learned that this is not verified. Also, I live in this area and the towel being wet hung up would be hard to be wet in the late after noon. Unless it was balled up on the ground, no way.

With that being said, can someone refresh my memory of when she was due at work? I wonder if we could estimate the time of a typical woman getting ready for work and "try" to pinpoint this further.. My wife, prior to kids would take up to an hour and 15 minutes before heading out to work. Shower, brushing, straightening of hair, breakfast, make-up, clothes selection, out the door.. um not in that order, just my observation...

[FONT=&amp]
[/FONT]
24-year-old vanishes, leaving little clues
Will a piece of surveillance video hold the key to what happened to Jennifer?
updated 2:40 p.m. ET, Mon., May 15, 2006
<snipped>
On Tuesday morning, January 24th, when the Kesses’ got a call that their daughter did not show up for work they tried to call her cell, but it immediately went to voice mail.

Joyce Kesse: That’s not Jennifer. Jennifer has always been reachable. When I got that phone call I knew intuitively something happened to her.

The Kesses raced from their home 3 hours away to Jennifer’s condo.

They showed us the scene they found. They arranged her things to show us the way, they said they found them that day.

There was a wet shower, damp towel, underwear on the floor, hair and makeup items on the bathroom sink. On her unmade bed, a selection of work clothes were laid.

Joyce Kesse: We feel that she got ready to go to work. She left. She locked her door and at that point is where the mystery starts.

But police say the mystery may have started even earlier.

Sgt. Rich Ring: It is as close to a vanishing as as I’ve ever seen.

Orlando Police Sgt. Rich Ring says Jennifer called her boyfriend in Fort Lauderdale at 10 p.m. January 23rd, the night before she was reported missing.

VIDEO: Missing person: Surveillance clue? 7:14
May 13: Jennifer Kesse's family is on the streets day after day hoping to drum up leads in the case of their missing daughter. Desperate for clues, they wonder: is this surveillance video the key?
msnbc.com Video Player

Article:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12756094/
Another tidbit for discussion

[FONT=&]
[/FONT] Another tidbit for discussion
Thank you so much for re-posting that old link. I was amazed that it still worked.

I don't know specifically to which tidbit you refer, but it just made my heart break for Jenn's mother. Oh, my.

Around about the 2:00 minute mark of the video, the Sargent states his point that LE believe Jennifer went "off the radar" after 10:00 PM on June 23/06. I respect Mrs. Kesse's opinions but I respect the opinions of LE, too.

Anyway, I'm happy with all the discussion.

I noticed they showed the towel folded on the bathroom sink in the "re-creation" pictures. {sigh}

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bikerman Chief