Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Emergency* #17

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like some feedback from anyone who might want to take this angle, why this could never be like Wuhan. Tia.
I'd like to take this on, but see too many similarities. Both Wuhan and US first kept the virus under wraps, then when forced to admit the outbreak....downplayed it. I guess the U.S. won't padlock the sick in their homes. I'm sure someone here much smarter than me can argue this.

More info on latest NY cases:

"Of the new cases, the 7-year-old Bronx girl is the youngest known case to date in NYC. She attends Westchester Torah Academy and may be connected to the cluster in that county, where 98 people have been infected to date.

The mayor said that the girl was 'doing well' and was quarantined at home. Her mother, father and two sisters have all tested negative.

Similarly, de Blasio said the city employee who tested positive has not shown any symptoms and is under quarantine. His family members have also tested negative. However, he noted that the individual had been in a city office for three hours, but did not provide further details.

Because the person is at his home in Westchester, he is not officially counted in the city's tally."

Coronavirus Updates: New NYC Cases Include 7-Year-Old Girl And A City Employee

The GA governor said over the weekend, state health officials learned about a case of a South Korean national now hospitalized in Fulton County.
Kemp said the person flew into Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport over the weekend and a customs agent noticed the person was showing symptoms consistent the coronavirus.
Agents at the airport immediately took that person to the CDC quarantine unit inside the airport for further evaluation and the person was eventually taken a metro hospital.

The governor said it is unknown if the traveler was showing symptoms while on the flight from South Korea to Atlanta or now.
Kemp said officials were able to get a translator to help talk with the patient and that person has been transferred to an isolation location where state health officials will monitor their condition.

The governor said he has been in contact with federal officials to determine potential exposure to the public.

Gov. Kemp confirms 6 positive cases, 7 more presumptive cases of coronavirus across state

The Dow Jones Industrial Average sank more than 2,000 points on Monday, its worst day since 2008, as fears about the spread of the new coronavirus and an oil price war sent investors scrambling out of stocks.

The Dow dropped 2,013.7 points — 7.79% — as Boeing, Apple, Goldman Sachs and Caterpillar cut the index by at least 100 points each. The Dow ended the day at 23,851.02 and represented its single-worst day since Oct. 15, 2008, when it fell 7.87%.

The S&P 500 plunged 7.6% to 2,746.56 as investors punished financials and energy stocks. Energy names in the S&P 500, including Exxon Mobil, Hess and Marathon Oil, finished the day down more than 20%. Financial stocks ended down more than 10%. The equity benchmark suffered its worst day since Dec. 1 2008.

Dow sinks 2,000 points in worst day since 2008, S&P 500 drops more than 7%

And more details on NY cases that were diagnosed previously - first vaping reference I have seen:

One is a 68 year old man in Brooklyn with diabetes and heart disease, who is currently in an intensive care unit in a hospital. The man had recently traveled, the mayor said, but the source of the infection is still unclear.

Another is a 75-year-old man in Queens, who also has diabetes and was admitted to a hospital with pneumonia and shortness of breath....

A 22-year-old man Brooklyn who tested positive for the disease is also hospitalized. The man, who had a vaping habit, was transported to a Brooklyn hospital by EMS. He is currently stable."

Coronavirus Updates: New NYC Cases Include 7-Year-Old Girl And A City Employee

Wow. I knew about Italy locking down about 12 provinces I believe it was just yesterday and now the entire country of Italy. Wow.

Continuing to get my news here on WS to fully understand all the impacts. Both economically and for everyone everywhere.

Thanks so much to everyone here who has helped disseminate accurate information.

"Italy's PM extends restrictions to the whole of the country, saying: "The future depends on us and everyone must do their part."

Coronavirus: Whole of Italy put on lockdown as public told to stay at home

I'm going with the Chinese on this one....

Hunan province researchers find virus causing #COVID19 stayed in air for 30 mins on a
bus
; meanwhile, NYC says its disease detectives have determined that the virus does not survive for more than two or three minutes in open air Meg Tirrell on Twitter
Meg Tirrell on Twitter

New #China study shows #COVIDー19 can spread more readily in certain conditions. Hunan province researchers found virus in air-con bus:
-traveled 4.5m (15 ft) 2x official “safe distance”
-stayed in air for 30min
Advice is masks in enclosed spaces @who @ScottGottliebMD @megtirrell Eunice Yoon on Twitter
Eunice Yoon on Twitter

Fabulous...my son has to ride bus to get to work, we do not have enough masks for this to be a viable option...other option is uber which is just as damn bad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
callumh804