Netherlands Netherlands, Amsterdam center, whtmale, possible 20-30, doorway Nieuwezijds Voorburgwal, Sept.1986

Same here! Let’s try to bring this man home, wherever that is.

I was suprised and happy to see i got a quick and lovely answer on a case that seemed (lack of information, long time ago) like it was underneath a pile of cases somewhere in a storage room.
The officer was glad i (she didn’t know there were many of us) was trying to identify him and told me (us) to keep on doïng that.

So hooray for the Dutch coldcase police for their workethics and the fact they are still keeping an eye out for our John Doe!

(Thank god they didn’t give him a nickname as is the case with many does, i think, unfortunately, he would be Eyebrow Doeo_O)

I'm happy to see some movement in this case and this rule out. Now others (also outside WS) who search for the identity of this man and information will know this too. Thanks to those who contacted the Dutch police with potential matches: @worldwatcher and @Carovb5. I hope we will/can come up with more.

I love it working together with all of you.
Bit

I kept going back to Mark too, the shape of his face maybe? Due to the lack of information i wouldn't rule him out...

Have you suggested Mark to NL law enforcement? I don't see that he was ever offered up before.

Have you suggested Mark to NL law enforcement? I don't see that he was ever offered up before.
No, i haven’t. Feel free to suggest him. If you can’t, i’m willing to do that for you…

FYI i submitted Jeffrey Allen via his page on the website of the Dutch Police, that proved to be a fast way, as i got a fast & polite answer!

What do you guys think about Manuel Carvalho?
A Portugese man missing from France, near Reims, in the nord of France, 07/08/1981
There's almost no info about him, but if you google him, he's on a lot of sites, where some people think his case is connected to other missing men's cases.
I know that being from Portugal he might not have the right haircolor... but in my opinion it's the guy resembling our Doe the most of anyone i came across.

I added 2 sites because there are other guys fitting the description a bit.

Affaire des disparus de Mourmelon - Memoires de guerre
Pierre Chanal | Victims | Murderpedia, the encyclopedia of murderers

Attachments

• image_0991366_20201003_ob_b38314_disparus-de-mourmelon01.jpg
    image_0991366_20201003_ob_b38314_disparus-de-mourmelon01.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 13
  • l-affaire-des-disparus-mourmelon.jpeg
    l-affaire-des-disparus-mourmelon.jpeg
    43.7 KB · Views: 11
Actually, being portuguese doesn’t mean he can’t be a redhead/ginger (i do’t know what the polite name is, sorry in advance!). I found these pictures + info.

Portuguese Phenotype: Portuguese Redheads

What do you guys think about Manuel Carvalho?
A Portugese man missing from France, near Reims, in the nord of France, 07/08/1981
There's almost no info about him, but if you google him, he's on a lot of sites, where some people think his case is connected to other missing men's cases.
I know that being from Portugal he might not have the right haircolor... but in my opinion it's the guy resembling our Doe the most of anyone i came across.

I added 2 sites because there are other guys fitting the description a bit.

Affaire des disparus de Mourmelon - Memoires de guerre
Pierre Chanal | Victims | Murderpedia, the encyclopedia of murderers

The weather,att
Weergegevens De Bilt September 1986 - Weerstatistieken KNMI

ETA I don’t know Amsterdam very well,but there was a hotel :
“but converted into a hotel in the eighties, the main entrance of which, however, has been placed in the original building 67. The name of the hotel still refers to the printing company: INK-Hotel.”

Nieuwezijds Voorburgwal 67 - Wikipedia

There was Roxy,a famous discotheek ,att and the squatters punk culture going on
Hoe punk in Nederland begon

Bulldog ( the first coffeshop) was around that time

Last edited:
Actually, being portuguese doesn’t mean he can’t be a redhead/ginger (i do’t know what the polite name is, sorry in advance!). I found these pictures + info.

Portuguese Phenotype: Portuguese Redheads

Warning, postmortem.
Here a side by side for the people here a bit better in comparing Does with faces of the living.

I, myself, notice a LOT of similarities. I’m curious about the rest of you guys as some of you have a lot more experience.

edited: forgot the pics:oops:

Attachments

• 6A392559-2E8F-4542-8BBF-E1F879812F45.jpeg
    6A392559-2E8F-4542-8BBF-E1F879812F45.jpeg
    140.3 KB · Views: 53
Warning, postmortem.
Here a side by side for the people here a bit better in comparing Does with faces of the living.

I, myself, notice a LOT of similarities. I’m curious about the rest of you guys as some of you have a lot more experience.

The lips seems similar but it is hard to tell ,because the black and white picture vs colored. I always try to look at the ears,but the angle of the picture is taken from the front.

Although i think Manuel Carvalho looks a lot like him, Jean Python - Switzerland - November 28, 1985 is also a possibility in my opinion.

2233DMCHE - Jean Python

What do you guys think?

No, i haven’t. Feel free to suggest him. If you can’t, i’m willing to do that for you…

FYI i submitted Jeffrey Allen via his page on the website of the Dutch Police, that proved to be a fast way, as i got a fast & polite answer!

Since you've already established contact perhaps it would be a good idea for you to do it. It might be less intrusive if one person becomes the contact person with LE. What do you think?

Warning, postmortem.

I don't know, brows seem to be differently shaped, for Manuel more square. I also looked at the hair line. John Doe seem to have a more straight hair line, but it's hard to be sure. Mostly the story of what possibly happened to Manuel feels off.

Here's another possible comparison also from Ireland. He's been missing since 1984 and based on the circumstances that occurred when he went missing it's possible he left the country to avoid any legal fallout. There's only one photo I've found which is used in his missing photo. His name is Mark Dowling missing from Dublin. He has brown hair and eyes but the image shows him with lots of reddish hue but again that could be that damned Kodachrome film! His eyebrows seem somewhat bushy, at least at the age the image was taken.

Mark Dowling (Dublin)

1140DMIRL - Mark Dowling

I keep coming back to that sweater that the UID is wearing. I mentioned in a previous post that many fishermen and people who work outside where it's damp favour the type of sweater he's wearing. When you look closer at it it has a rolled collar and the wool has the classic look of an Aran sweater which is called oatmeal. Aran sweaters are made from unbleached wool that retains the lanolin making them waterproof. It may be that that factor isn't really used any more but the originals did have lanolin in them.

I think you are spot on with the Aran sweater (originally from Ireland, Aran Islands, Inis Mór, Inis Meáin en Inis Oírr) but exported all over. I would have loved to see more of the sweater and if it had particular patterns, like Aran sweaters have. De wereldberoemde Aran-trui | Ireland.com

hqdefault.jpg

I was looking at statistics a few weeks back and red hair is most common in Ireland and Scotland, curly hair (which he appars to have) is also most common in Ireland and Scotland (in Northern Europe.) And people from the UK are some of the most frequent visitors to the Netherlands. Add his sweater to that.
Scottish or Irish, but that is jmo.
It's good they are still working to identify him.

Last edited:
I was looking at statistics a few weeks back and red hair is most common in Ireland and Scotland, curly hair (which he appars to have) is also most common in Ireland and Scotland (in Northern Europe.) And people from the UK are some of the most frequent visitors to the Netherlands. Add his sweater to that.
Scottish or Irish, but that is jmo.
It's good they are still working to identify him.
He does have that Celtic look to him, doesn't he? My money is also on the UK/Ireland.

Even though the UID was recently deceased, his eye colour was listed as N/A. Based on the bruising around his eyes and some of the superficial cuts on his face I wouldn't be surprised if his eyes had evidence of hyphema making it impossible to establish eye colour. Hyphema usually occurs from blunt force trauma to the head. If the eyes were open you would only see red since the blood would envelop the iris.

I remember years ago my first husband witnessed a pedestrian getting hit by a car. He ran to the victim to see if she was badly hurt. He told me her eyes were completely red from a severe head injury; not bleeding just completely red. The image was burned in his brain for several nights; every time he closed his eyes that's all he could see.

If his colouring is accurate; dark red, coarse hair, darker eyebrows, I'd bet he had brown eyes rather than blue or green.

The brows are filled in and there appears to be furrow shadows which have also been filled in that make them appear fuller than they actually are.
I wonder if this image was originally a B&W?

The brows themselves appear to be wirey, but who knows. (Maybe they did this because they thought he would be more "recognizable" than if the brows were unkempt)

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scooby-Doo
Back