Netherlands Netherlands, Amsterdam center, whtmale, possible 20-30, doorway Nieuwezijds Voorburgwal, Sept.1986

I noticed that too. That’s why i said the colors seemed off. The colors don’t look like a real picture to me (or edited).

I'm still not sure about the hair color....there is so little to know.....The older pictures may have had some failure/discoloration....but to me the hair color looks quite original.

Thanks @Triss for looking out for him. I don't know what happened with him...looking at his face he could have gotten in a fight, maybe robbed. was hit by a car slightly...just went down and his face was slammed to something (stairs, pavement?) I don't know.
I was looking at what appear to be abrasions on his face vs. inflicted by blows. I am wondering if they occurred post mortem as a result of being dumped. The only other thing I can think of is him walking in to something, but the abrasion at the bridge of his nose suggests to me falling on your face either super drunk or dumped. Do we know what tox reports said? Apologies if already stated. Those eyebrows are most distinctive. I'm surprised he hasn't been identified. He looks Hungarian to me.

Amateur opinion and speculation

I was looking at what appear to be abrasions on his face vs. inflicted by blows. I am wondering if they occurred post mortem as a result of being dumped. The only other thing I can think of is him walking in to something, but the abrasion at the bridge of his nose suggests to me falling on your face either super drunk or dumped. Do we know what tox reports said? Apologies if already stated. Those eyebrows are most distinctive. I'm surprised he hasn't been identified. He looks Hungarian to me.

Amateur opinion and speculation

Looking back there seems to be a lot of photo-shopping on the PM picture. He might have been far more "damaged" then is shown on there. The sad thing is....the Dutch police is normally very forthcoming in giving information. In this case it looks like they lost the file...lost the grave side (for taking DNA).....didn't do a proper investigation...I don't know what is going on. As far as it goes for additional info besides the file posted...they don't seem to have much. I agree with you...his brows are very distinctive...but maybe to much altered. I'm not sure about the Hungarian angle. I still hope extended family members are looking out for him. Time passes by...maybe a lot of family members already passed.

Last edited:
Did anyone send a possible indentification in and get a reaction from this policecorps? Are they communicative? I can give it a go and submit someone and try to get them to open up his file… maybe it’s just beneath a pile of other cases catching dust untill they have the time & a reason to work on his case?

Did anyone send a possible indentification in and get a reaction from this policecorps? Are they communicative? I can give it a go and submit someone and try to get them to open up his file… maybe it’s just beneath a pile of other cases catching dust untill they have the time & a reason to work on his case?

....There wasn't actually a missing person I could have submitted, because nobody fits...Saying it differently...I didn't have the "this must be him" factor (yet). I arranged that his case came on to Unidentified Wiki...and on here...just to get the word out...but on Wiki he is there without a recon (needed) I thought me cleaning up his face and @coffeeandacig opening his eyes... would have done the job...but no.

Sweet @Al Ka could you help us out...could you post this on your site...any other contacts?

Last edited:
If I could get a hold of the real PM picture....I'm now almost sure they did something with his eyes....closing them digital...but they were slightly open when they found him.....

Good to see recent active interest in the UID again. Referring to the comments regarding manipulation of the hair colour and such.

I'm just wondering whether the coloration has more to do with when the images were taken. I look at pictures from the 60s 70s and 80s and many in that time period all seem to have faded so the whole image takes on an orangey red tone. I'm sure a lot of police forces back then didn't have the budget to have state of the art cameras and probably keep film around longer than necessary.

That being said, I still believe this man is not only a red head, he is very hirsute as well. His eyebrows are very bushy and his hair coarse looking. Many redheads have wiry coarse hair.

How red hair is different to other hair shades, and not just because of its colour | Ginger Parrot

Without seeing an image of his chest hair I would think he has a very hairy chest. And like many men, his eyelashes are very long too, (damn them!)

After reading about the cause of Bob Saget's death (skull fracture, blunt force trauma) it could be suspicious in nature or the result of falling down stairs slipping and falling on the sidewalk and hitting your head. It could be like the death of Liam Neeson's wife, Natasha Richardson, who hit her head on the ski slopes and declined to go to hospital. She had what was called 'walk and die syndrome' a epidural hematoma, the same as Bob Saget, where blood accumulates between the skull and the membrane covering the brain. Both Saget and Richardson were walking around and appeared lucid around people before they died.

What were the protocols for deaths of unknown origins in the Netherlands in the 1980s? Is it standard practice to do a complete autopsy on an individual who died under unknown circumstances?

Oh, I also read this link which is pretty interesting.

The genetic causes, ethnic origins and history of red hair

Reading the comments, though, there is one poster who tries to debunk the notions but his manner is so rude and brusque it's hard to take him seriously. He could be right though, who knows.

Last edited:
Maybe worth a mention..
Am not sure, not much info from LE to go on, it seems.
I can contact them to ask for more info, like eye color, weight, length etc.. (if not posted before, or incase I missed it)

Name: RORY AHERNE
Date Missing: 23/09/1984
Height: 5'10" - 178 cm
Build: Weight: 140 lbs (64 kg)
Hair Colour: Red
Further Information:
Date of birth: 24 November 1967

Case Type: Missing From Home. Case Number: IRGSmk16

Missing City: DUBLIN, Missing Country: Ireland

Rory Aherne is missing from his home at 17 Botanic Road, Drumcondra, Dublin 9 since the 23rd September 1984. When last seen he was wearing black trousers, wine coloured bomber jacket and black shoes.

He may be working in North of England: Leeds or Manchester. But he could have travelled to France, maybe further - Australia. Missing for over 20 years - may be working in building industry.

If you have any information concerning this case, please contact: Fitzgibbon St. Garda Station on +353-1-6668600
See Garda Website.

To Rory:

We all love you and think about you constantly. Please try to get in touch through this website or a family member. We know you have built a new life for yourself and respect that. Just try to get in touch. WIth much love and fondest wishes for your birthday in November.
Rory Aherne (Dublin)
RORY AHERNE - Age progression picture

He surely looks similar to this John Doe from Amsterdam
Left: Allen, circa 1982; Right: Progressed to age 41 (2006)

Name: Jeffrey Allen
Case Classification: Endangered Runaway
Missing Since: August 22, 1982
Location Last Seen: Yaverland Close, Isle of Wight, United Kingdom

Physical Description
Date of Birth: May 10, 1965
Race: White
Height: 5'7-5'8
Weight: Slim/medium build
Hair Color: Light brown
Eye Color: Blue/grey
Nickname/Alias: Unknown
Distinguishing Marks/Features: He has a distinctive, homemade tattoo on his back, an outline of Pegasus with the name "Leigh" under it. Homemade tattoos on both arms although it is not known exactly what these were. He has a one-inch scar on his chin. Freckles.

Identifiers
Dentals: Not available
Fingerprints: Not available
DNA: Not available

Clothing & Personal Items
Clothing: Unknown
Jewelry: Unknown
Additional Personal Items: Unknown

Circumstances of Disappearance
Allen was last seen at his home in Ryde, Isle of Wight, UK in August 1982. Jeffrey had told his sister he was going camping with two of his friends. Jeffrey was living in Ryde at the time he disappeared but he had been living at home in Sandown and attended Sandown High School so his home base and a lot of his friends and school connections were in Sandown

2001DMUK - Jeffrey Allen

So many families..so many missings, terrible.

He surely looks similar to this John Doe from Amsterdam
Left: Allen, circa 1982; Right: Progressed to age 41 (2006)

Name: Jeffrey Allen
Case Classification: Endangered Runaway
Missing Since: August 22, 1982
Location Last Seen: Yaverland Close, Isle of Wight, United Kingdom

Physical Description
Date of Birth: May 10, 1965
Race: White
Height: 5'7-5'8
Weight: Slim/medium build
Hair Color: Light brown
Eye Color: Blue/grey
Nickname/Alias: Unknown
Distinguishing Marks/Features: He has a distinctive, homemade tattoo on his back, an outline of Pegasus with the name "Leigh" under it. Homemade tattoos on both arms although it is not known exactly what these were. He has a one-inch scar on his chin. Freckles.

Identifiers
Dentals: Not available
Fingerprints: Not available
DNA: Not available

Clothing & Personal Items
Clothing: Unknown
Jewelry: Unknown
Additional Personal Items: Unknown

Circumstances of Disappearance
Allen was last seen at his home in Ryde, Isle of Wight, UK in August 1982. Jeffrey had told his sister he was going camping with two of his friends. Jeffrey was living in Ryde at the time he disappeared but he had been living at home in Sandown and attended Sandown High School so his home base and a lot of his friends and school connections were in Sandown

2001DMUK - Jeffrey Allen

So many families..so many missings, terrible.

I kind of like this suggestion. I found more about him, fi this pictures, Jeff's Passport picture.

JeffPassport.jpg

Jeff was also working at Robin Hill at the Time he Disappeared so would have had money in his pocket , he also talked of joining the Merchant Navy and going to Cyprus do you remember anyone with those ideas at the time...

Looking For Jeff Allen

Normally I would have said...there is probably exchanges between European countries about missing and unidentified cases or through Interpol, but in this particular case they don't seem to have identifiers/info on the John Doe side to compare the two.

I kind of like this suggestion. I found more about him, fi this pictures, Jeff's Passport picture.

JeffPassport.jpg

Jeff was also working at Robin Hill at the Time he Disappeared so would have had money in his pocket , he also talked of joining the Merchant Navy and going to Cyprus do you remember anyone with those ideas at the time...

Looking For Jeff Allen

Normally I would have said...there is probably exchanges between European countries about missing and unidentified cases or through Interpol, but in this particular case they don't seem to have identifiers/info on the John Doe side to compare the two.
I’ll send in in to both then and keep you updated. Thanks for the extra info, great job!!

Here's another possible comparison also from Ireland. He's been missing since 1984 and based on the circumstances that occurred when he went missing it's possible he left the country to avoid any legal fallout. There's only one photo I've found which is used in his missing photo. His name is Mark Dowling missing from Dublin. He has brown hair and eyes but the image shows him with lots of reddish hue but again that could be that damned Kodachrome film! His eyebrows seem somewhat bushy, at least at the age the image was taken.

Mark Dowling (Dublin)

1140DMIRL - Mark Dowling

I keep coming back to that sweater that the UID is wearing. I mentioned in a previous post that many fishermen and people who work outside where it's damp favour the type of sweater he's wearing. When you look closer at it it has a rolled collar and the wool has the classic look of an Aran sweater which is called oatmeal. Aran sweaters are made from unbleached wool that retains the lanolin making them waterproof. It may be that that factor isn't really used any more but the originals did have lanolin in them.

Here's another possible comparison also from Ireland. He's been missing since 1984 and based on the circumstances that occurred when he went missing it's possible he left the country to avoid any legal fallout. There's only one photo I've found which is used in his missing photo. His name is Mark Dowling missing from Dublin. He has brown hair and eyes but the image shows him with lots of reddish hue but again that could be that damned Kodachrome film! His eyebrows seem somewhat bushy, at least at the age the image was taken.

Mark Dowling (Dublin)

1140DMIRL - Mark Dowling

I keep coming back to that sweater that the UID is wearing. I mentioned in a previous post that many fishermen and people who work outside where it's damp favour the type of sweater he's wearing. When you look closer at it it has a rolled collar and the wool has the classic look of an Aran sweater which is called oatmeal. Aran sweaters are made from unbleached wool that retains the lanolin making them waterproof. It may be that that factor isn't really used any more but the originals did have lanolin in them.
I kept going back to Mark too, the shape of his face maybe? Due to the lack of information i wouldn't rule him out...

I wouldn't rule him out as being French, there are a lot more redheads in Brittany for example (Celtic/Gaulish area)... Asterix and Obelix for an easy example. There is also a great appreciation for craftsmanship in France generally (hand knit jumper) and the other Celtic lands are highly thought of (Scotland, Ireland) among the Bretons which could explain the Aran jumper. France is also close to the Netherlands.

My guess would be Scottish/Irish/British/French. I'm Welsh born and raised (previously lived in France) and don't think he looks stereotypically Welsh to me, but that doesn't mean he can't be. England and Wales get lumped in together in most legal matters anyway so he wouldn't be excluded in a search of such Police databases.

Jeffrey Allen has been ruled out.
(Info by Coldcase team Amsterdam)
2001DMUK - Jeffrey Allen

I'm happy to see some movement in this case and this rule out. Now others (also outside WS) who search for the identity of this man and information will know this too. Thanks to those who contacted the Dutch police with potential matches: @worldwatcher and @Carovb5. I hope we will/can come up with more.

I love it working together with all of you.
Bit

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Milkjug
Back