FL - Chad Oulson, 43, killed in Wesley Chapel theater shooting, 13 Jan 2014 *Former LE arrest*

Thank you for stating that...makes me feel better...would agree the judge sure did not do a good job of being fair....I had some hope even with all the pro defense rulings because to me it seemed like such a simple case.
Judge Barthle is absolutely not a shining example of judicial competence. She is a pathetic embarrassment to the 'justice' system IMO. But I don't see her as biased. I personally think that she isn't smart enough to be biased! If she is biased in favor of defendant CR, what would be the reason that she ruled against CR five years ago in the 2017 SYG hearing where she issued a blistering order denying CR's SYG assertion?

http://curtisreevestrial.com/files/1046.pdf
[...]
After careful consideration of all of the evidence provided in this case, this court finds that the defendant did not credibly demonstrate that he reasonably believed it was necessary for him to use deadly force in this situation, therefore, defendant’s motion is DENIED.
DONE AND ORDERED in Pasco County, Florida, this ______ day of March, 2017.

Jury was to "check only one" finding as to each count.
Below is the format for the verdict form, and it's what I recall hearing as the judge read the jury instructions - including the errors she stumbled over that still needed correction regarding 'a' and 'b' sections:

http://www.floridalawweekly.com/forms/sc19-1806.pdf
Supreme Court of Florida
REPORT 2019-11.
February 27, 2020
Page 6:
Verdict form for multiple counts, single defendant.
We, the jury, find as follows, as to Count I of the charge: (check only one as to this count)
___a. The defendant is guilty of (crime charged).
___b. The defendant is guilty of (a lesser included offense).
___c. The defendant is not guilty.
We, the jury, find as follows, as to Count II of the charge: (check only one as to this count)
___b. The defendant is not guilty.

Thank you for this answer SeesSeas; I appreciate it!

Judge Barthle is absolutely not a shining example of judicial competence. She is a pathetic embarrassment to the 'justice' system IMO. But I don't see her as biased. I personally think that she isn't smart enough to be biased! If she is biased in favor of defendant CR, what would be the reason that she ruled against CR five years ago in the 2017 SYG hearing where she issued a blistering order denying CR's SYG assertion.

http://curtisreevestrial.com/files/1046.pdf
[...]
After careful consideration of all of the evidence provided in this case, this court finds that the defendant did not credibly demonstrate that he reasonably believed it was necessary for him to use deadly force in this situation, therefore, defendant’s motion is DENIED.
DONE AND ORDERED in Pasco County, Florida, this ______ day of March, 2017.
you did hit upon something I hung my hat on for this trial...her ruling on SYG...I thought okay some of these rulings and the way she let def.team rule the courtroom...but at the end of the day won't make any difference. The truth of the matter is CR really did get a jury of "his peers" who either apparently thought like he does or had reasonable doubt..but seems odd that obviously they did not even have one that had to be convinced...doubt you could do it that fast.not sure who their jury consultant was but their earned their $$!

Just FYI. I'm not replying to your post specifically, I'm simply just using the word you chose (bear) to ask questions.

I've never quite understood why Oulsen was the "bear" with his initial response. And, I've never quite understood why he didn't simply respond with something like, "Oh, I'm sorry... I was on the phone due to an emergency". Did Reeves "deserve" the reply he got from Oulsen because Reeves didn't ask as politely as possible?

for whatever reason, Chad was in a pissed off mood. CR spoke to Chad first (poke). I don’t for one second believe that CR kindly asked him to turn off his phone like he said in his testimony. Then CR said something else (poke). Then went to the manager (poke) then said something else to Chad when he came back (poke). If CR was such a delicate butterfly that a light from a cellphone was causing him such distress during previews, he should’ve moved. It was all so unnecessary. And yes, Chad should’ve turned his phone off or moved. Just an all around tragedy that affected so many lives. IMO

Jury was to "check only one" finding as to each count.
Below is the format for the verdict form, and it's what I recall hearing as the judge read the jury instructions - including the errors she stumbled over that still needed correction regarding 'a' and 'b' sections:

http://www.floridalawweekly.com/forms/sc19-1806.pdf
Supreme Court of Florida
REPORT 2019-11.
February 27, 2020
Page 6:
Verdict form for multiple counts, single defendant.
We, the jury, find as follows, as to Count I of the charge: (check only one as to this count)
___b. The defendant is guilty of (a lesser included offense).
___c. The defendant is not guilty.
We, the jury, find as follows, as to Count II of the charge: (check only one as to this count)
___b. The defendant is not guilty.

Thank you for this answer SeesSeas; I appreciate it!
Verdict forms are posted:
State of Florida vs Curtis Reeves
http://www.curtisreevestrial.com/files/1341.pdf
http://www.curtisreevestrial.com/files/1340.pdf

02/25/2022 — VERDICT COUNT 1
02/25/2022 — VERDICT COUNT 2

More weirdness. . . Reeves removed his electronic monitor at home with a screwdriver!

After acquittal, Curtis Reeves renews freedom; Chad Oulson’s widow grieves anew

“He never lost hope in our system of justice,” says lawyer for Reeves, found not guilty in the 2014 Wesley Chapel movie theater shooting.
Published Feb. 26
Hours after a jury found him not guilty of murder, Curtis Reeves returned home and with a screwdriver removed the electronic monitor that had constantly monitored his movements for nearly eight years. A day later, he readied to walk his daughter down the aisle at her wedding.
[...]
But his freedom wasn’t free. In the eight years that the high-profile, closely watched case wound through the legal system, Reeves’ costs stacked up to about $1 million.
[...]

More weirdness. . . Reeves removed his electronic monitor at home with a screwdriver!

“He never lost hope in our system of justice,” says lawyer for Reeves, found not guilty in the 2014 Wesley Chapel movie theater shooting.
Published Feb. 26
Hours after a jury found him not guilty of murder, Curtis Reeves returned home and with a screwdriver removed the electronic monitor that had constantly monitored his movements for nearly eight years. A day later, he readied to walk his daughter down the aisle at her wedding.
[...]
But his freedom wasn’t free. In the eight years that the high-profile, closely watched case wound through the legal system, Reeves’ costs stacked up to about $1 million.
[...]
1 million for his defense? It doesn’t bother me at all that he had to pay in some manner for killing a man.

<modsnip> I feel so sorry for Nicole as it appears she has no way to get at this monster and now to rub it in he is doing media interviews. Florida man acquitted for fatal movie theater shooting speaks out. Also note that Reeves now is saying his vision was blurred from the impact...hum maybe I missed that but this story continues to evolve.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice 5-minute video at this link - Nicole and daughter.
Widow of man shot in theater pushes beyond anger to make love his legacy

Widow of man shot in theater pushes beyond anger to make love his legacy
One month after a Pasco jury acquitted her husband’s killer, Nicole Oulson speaks with the Tampa Bay Times about the couple’s relationship, the void Chad Oulson leaves and coming to grips with an unexpected acquittal.
March 27, 2022

UGB3B3QUP5BHPNJP5GG4ZEZACA.jpg

May 26, 2022
TAMPA — In her mind, Nicole Oulson said, she always knew there was a possibility that the man who shot and killed her husband during an argument inside their local movie theater could walk free.

Still, she said, nothing could have prepared her for the late-night verdict on February 25 that acquitted retired Tampa police captain Curtis Reeves of criminal charges for killing Chad Oulson inside a Wesley Chapel movie theater in 2014.
[...]
The mother and daughter called a news conference in Grimaldi’s downtown Tampa offices Thursday to announce the launch of the Oulson Family Foundation — an organization of their own invention with the narrow focus of helping children like Lexy who have either lost parents or guardians to gun violence or who may have been injured themselves in gun-related crimes.
[...]

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Inquisitive11201
Back